Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I bet she took that bulb with her when she moved out!

She also wanted to deduct from the rent the cost of one of those over the door type clothes hangers she wanted for her bedroom.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I find sometimes that people you would assume to be clever in account of their education or profession can be thick as a plank in many respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I find sometimes that people you would assume to be clever in account of their education or profession can be thick as a plank in many respects.

As I heard someone older say recently 'there should be a college course for cop on.'

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the cleaners in our office dilute down the washing up liquid in the kitchens. It always confuses me. Like, do they have a strict budget for buying the washing up liquid so want it to last longer? Or are they skimping out on buying it so they can pocket the difference? Or they couldn't be bothered changing the bottle so just top it up with water? I don't understand.

Seen nursing home staff dilute ( water down), the hand gel (spirigel/hibiscrub). Surely keeping the patients and staff healthy would save money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Seen nursing home staff dilute ( water down), the hand gel (spirigel/hibiscrub). Surely keeping the patients and staff healthy would save money.

Sadly, if they run out before restocking, they have to do without as most nursing homes are run on a shoestring......unless they are expensive private ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I was in ALDI at the checkout. I bought the last 2 full pocket handgels... there was a bottle with a quarter gone out of it.
    Looked like someone used it and put it back on the shelf.

It's only 79c!

I found myself checking deodorants to see which ones are half empty. I got stung once or twice ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

In my sister's school they have soap in the toilets for the kids to use to wash their hands.
    A child complained to the teacher that the soap was being watered down. (They go through a lot of soap).
    The teacher said that yes water was added to the soap in order to save money as the school was tight for funds.

Cue the child's parents coming in to see the principal and writing a letter to the BOM about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In my sister's school they have soap in the toilets for the kids to use to wash their hands.
    A child complained to the teacher that the soap was being watered down. (They go through a lot of soap).
    The teacher said that yes water was added to the soap in order to save money as the school was tight for funds.

Cue the child's parents coming in to see the principal and writing a letter to the BOM about it

Kids school in Dalkey done this but went one further, they removed soap altogether and have kids bring in their own....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Kids school in Dalkey done this but went one further, they removed soap altogether and have kids bring in their own....

Yeah but they'd expect posh soap in posh dispensers

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

When I was in primary school the classrooms for 4th, 5th and 6th classes each had a cloakroom/toilet area (2 toilets) attached to the classroom.

I remember the head nun gave us an allowance of one small packet of greaseproof type paper to last the week. That's this small packet to last 30 or so 12 year old girls for a week :rolleyes::rolleyes: Probably 3 sheets per person. What I really remember is one day this nun (a generally very nice lady) actually taking the time to explain that we should be able make this last. If I was the class teacher I'd have gone through the floor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

FanadMan wrote: »
    Sadly, if they run out before restocking, they have to do without as most nursing homes are run on a shoestring......unless they are expensive private ones.

Highly expensive private one.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

How about the primary school teacher I was in a house share with who contemplated billing our landlord when she had to replace her bedroom lightbulb?
    The rest of us gently told her that's not how a rental works.

A kind of similar story, I had two teachers renting rooms from me. I have had a 90 litre Aquarium years in the sitting room donkeys years. The little aquarium heater would intermittently turn on and off (tropical fish aquarium) but I had timers on the lights and bubbles. One evening I was waiting on kettle to boil and one of the lads walked in and said "I was just wondering do you take that aquarium into account when splitting the electricity bills?"
    Now he knew fine well i didnt as the bill was split 3 ways evenly months. He continued on "like theres a bubble machine and the water feels warm when you lift the lid and theres a light in there it must be costing a bomb to keep that thing and we never actually agreed to pay for that" . It never even occurred to me that the aquarium would be a problem, but in any event I started paying 5 euro extra a month to cover my Tropical Lodgers:cool: He also didnt like the fact there were 2 google homes plugged in constantly "wasting power" and would every other day unplug them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

When I was in college. I would bring in my own lunch most days and buy something on fridays. However, I always bought a cup of tea which was around €1.70ish I think. I found out that I can get hot water in a cup for free. I decided fėck this I'm going to bring in a tea bag and get the frww cup of hot water. I decided to put the €1.70 I save each day from Monday to Thursday towards food on a friday. My friends still get a good laugh out of it.

Looking back on it now it came across as stingy but sure it worked at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

When I was in college. I would bring in my own lunch most days and buy something on fridays. However, I always bought a cup of tea which was around €1.70ish I think. I found out that I can get hot water in a cup for free. I decided fėck this I'm going to bring in a tea bag and get the frww cup of hot water. I decided to put the €1.70 I save each day from Monday to Thursday towards food on a friday. My friends still get a good laugh out of it.

That's not stingey, that's using your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

where did you get the milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A kind of similar story, I had two teachers renting rooms from me. I have had a 90 litre Aquarium years in the sitting room donkeys years. The little aquarium heater would intermittently turn on and off (tropical fish aquarium) but I had timers on the lights and bubbles. One evening I was waiting on kettle to boil and one of the lads walked in and said "I was just wondering do you take that aquarium into account when splitting the electricity bills?"
    Now he knew fine well i didnt as the bill was split 3 ways evenly months. He continued on "like theres a bubble machine and the water feels warm when you lift the lid and theres a light in there it must be costing a bomb to keep that thing and we never actually agreed to pay for that" . It never even occurred to me that the aquarium would be a problem, but in any event I started paying 5 euro extra a month to cover my Tropical Lodgers:cool: He also didnt like the fact there were 2 google homes plugged in constantly "wasting power" and would every other day unplug them :rolleyes:

Hmm I'm not sure about this one, lights and an air mChine on probably 6-8 hours a day, heater, a pump to filter water. It would be like one of the lads leaving the TV on all day, others would have a problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

i never understood that phrase : "watch the pennies and the pounds watch themselves". shouldnt it be the opposite, "keep an eye on the pounds and dont worry about the pennies"??

It's an anglisised version of the old Gaelic truism: Go for the points, the goals will look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

You gave the college plenty in fees, You were just taking whats yours!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Slightly different from the rest but similar, lived with a tight miserable guy from Offaly in Cork during the 90's

He wasn't the most hygienic person you'd meet.
    And lazy to boot.
    Never washed up.
    One time he took the dusty holy plate off the wall and ate the breakfast off the thing.

Remember those ornaments and they're a plate from knock or lourds, you'd have them attached to the wall.
    Lovely picture of Mary on it, so he was eating the breakfast off the dusty plate belonging to the girl from Gweedor in Donegal.

She was livid, a mortal sin eating from Mary's bowl.

The biffo hadn't the copon to clean it and hang it back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    When I was in primary school the classrooms for 4th, 5th and 6th classes each had a cloakroom/toilet area (2 toilets) attached to the classroom.

I remember the head nun gave us an allowance of one small packet of greaseproof type paper to last the week. That's this small packet to last 30 or so 12 year old girls for a week :rolleyes::rolleyes: Probably 3 sheets per person. What I really remember is one day this nun (a generally very nice lady) actually taking the time to explain that we should be able make this last. If I was the class teacher I'd have gone through the floor....

We had that in our school. Awful stuff. We used to steal it and use it as tracing paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

When we were in primary school, the teacher had the roll of toilet paper and if you needed the jacks you had to go up in front of the whole class and ask for some. I remember our 2nd class teacher, mrs Carroll used to make a big deal of it and literally ask how many sheets you needed. I refused to be embarrassed in front of the class so used to bring a roll in my bag. She found it one day and made a show of me in front of the class saying I must have the squirts. If ever I wanted the ground to open up it was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Emme wrote: »
    We had that in our school. Awful stuff. We used to steal it and use it as tracing paper.

That was all there was a few decades ago; that and newspaper torn into squares with a string threaded through them and hung on a nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

We were told to use only one square of toilet paper in primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

joeguevara wrote: »
    When we were in primary school, the teacher had the roll of toilet paper and if you needed the jacks you had to go up in front of the whole class and ask for some. I remember our 2nd class teacher, mrs Carroll used to make a big deal of it and literally ask how many sheets you needed. I refused to be embarrassed in front of the class so used to bring a roll in my bag. She found it one day and made a show of me in front of the class saying I must have the squirts. If ever I wanted the ground to open up it was then.

Why would she embarrass you like that? Surely you were saving the school money. Power-tripping wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

nthclare wrote: »

She was livid, a mortal sin eating from Mary's bowl.

I missed that bit of the bible :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

When I was in second class, the nun who taught us kept the bog roll outside of the toilets. Girls were allowed one sheet for a number one, and we were all allowed three sheets for a number two. So pretty much everyone knew when you were going in for a dump

edit: Only just noticed Joeguevara's similar story, I thought it was just one psycho nun we had to put up wit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When I was in second class, the nun who taught us kept the bog roll outside of the toilets. Girls were allowed one sheet for a number one, and we were all allowed three sheets for a number two. So pretty much everyone knew when you were going in for a dump

edit: Only just noticed Joeguevara's similar story, I thought it was just one psycho nun we had to put up wit

Should be 4, sure you can't do a 2 without a little 1 at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Times were that hard back in the day that young Felix came back into the classroom, bags round the ankles, asking our teacher for more bogroll. Poor creter never heard the end of that shiiid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You could tell the posh kids by the roll of Andrex in their bag.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    You could tell the posh kids by the roll of Andrex in their bag.
    That and them leaving doors and windows open on cold days.

Advertisement