Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was all there was a few decades ago; that and newspaper torn into squares with a string threaded through them and hung on a nail.
    Ah now, I'd say if you had taken a sly gander in the nuns' private commode they'd have had the fancy stuff and not the old John Wayne brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

The aul thread went stingy itself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was just watching live PD.....

Guy and girl at a breakfast bar, eat and drink and then when it comes to pay they question the bill.....

The deal was if one bought a beverage they got orange juice for $1 instead of $2.50.....

They cause a huge scene, cops called, guy put in handcuffs, searched, has at least $1,000 on him and she is there shouting while videoing also....

In the end after all the shouting and the stress they pay and go on their way.....

Now that's pure stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Was just watching live PD.....

Guy and girl at a breakfast bar, eat and drink and then when it comes to pay they question the bill.....

The deal was if one bought a beverage they got orange juice for $1 instead of $2.50.....

They cause a huge scene, cops called, guy put in handcuffs, searched, has at least $1,000 on him and she is there shouting while videoing also....

In the end after all the shouting and the stress they pay and go on their way.....

Now that's pure stinge.

did they end up paying the $1 or full price for the orange juice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

did they end up paying the $1 or full price for the orange juice?

The full price as they had tap water so didn't actually purchase a beverage.....

Sure last week a security guard was shot dead because someone was too stinge to wear a mask but them were the rules in that store......

The woman he asked came back with two men who then shot him for following the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was all there was a few decades ago; that and newspaper torn into squares with a string threaded through them and hung on a nail.

Go on out of that, a few decades ago. What you're talking about is 1930s - 1960s at most. What are you on about "a few decades ago". Go on off to your twin sister Peig. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Go on out of that, a few decades ago. What you're talking about is 1930s - 1960s at most. What are you on about "a few decades ago". Go on off to your twin sister Peig. :pac:

Graces7 hasn't posted in almost 2 months. I know she's an elderly woman living on a remote island. I hope she's ok.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Graces7 hasn't posted in almost 2 months. I know she's an elderly woman living on a remote island. I hope she's ok.
    Probably she's grand. Weren't the islands closed off to outsiders pretty early on? Safest place to be really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

pablo128 wrote: »

She posted only yesterday on the blog linked in her signature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

That's good to hear. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

So, she's being stingy with her posts on BoardsðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Just a couple of ones I remember well:

A notorious friend who refused to split a note. Back when I was around 21 with friends he would go around to everyone in our group and ask do you have 2 euro handy as I've only a 20 euro note and don't want to split it if we were at the shop. When no one would give him anything he would ask for a drink of your lucozade are a bite of your chocolate bar.
    He's still like this today 8 years later but more secretive about it. He would get absolutly sloshed at home before meeting us in the pub and sip away at a large bulmers for most of the night. He has a hip flask with him as well.

An ex work collegue went to Dunnes every day and buys a large roll, tomato, slice of ham every instead of just buying one at the Deli and makes her roll in the canteen. I don't get why she didn't just bring in a packed lunch or leave a few bits in the fridge for the week. I think her reasoning was she was afraid they would be robbed from the fridge! She's probably the smart one where she's paying probably 1.50 and I'm paying 4.50!

One I forgot, a local woman brings her own tonic to the pub. Orders the gin allright but says i have my own tonic thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭antimatterx

A notorious friend who refused to split a note. Back when I was around 21 with friends he would go around to everyone in our group and ask do you have 2 euro handy as I've only a 20 euro note and don't want to split it if we were at the shop. When no one would give him anything he would ask for a drink of your lucozade are a bite of your chocolate bar.
    He's still like this today 8 years later but more secretive about it. He would get absolutly sloshed at home before meeting us in the pub and sip away at a large bulmers for most of the night. He has a hip flask with him as well.

An ex work collegue went to Dunnes every day and buys a large roll, tomato, slice of ham every instead of just buying one at the Deli and makes her roll in the canteen. I don't get why she didn't just bring in a packed lunch or leave a few bits in the fridge for the week. I think her reasoning was she was afraid they would be robbed from the fridge! She's probably the smart one where she's paying probably 1.50 and I'm paying 4.50!

One I forgot, a local woman brings her own tonic to the pub. Orders the gin allright but says i have my own tonic thanks very much.

The middle one is not stingy. That's being smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

No. 1 friend is ill. He's now a fully fledged alcoholic. Something obviously very wrong with him which stretches back to childhood, and is still very much affecting him.

No. 2 is just being frugal. From what you've said she's neither stingy nor foolish. She's paying €1.50 for something that's costing you €4.50. And that's on a daily basis. Do the maths on the weekly, monthly and annual basis. She's saving her money presumably to spend it on something that she really wants or needs, either now or at some future date.. One way or another, she has the luxury of deciding where and when she wants to spend it, while your money is already lodged in the tills of Dunnes stores.

There's a world of difference between being stingy and frugal.

No. 3 objects to being robbed by the stingy publican and paying multiple times the cost of the the mixer. She's paying for the alcoholic drink which the publican is licenced to sell. Some people, including No. 1 above, totally take the piss bringing in their own drink to the pub.

Actually, I just thought of something. Maybe the publican should only let people smoke cigarettes, bought in their pub, smoke in their beer garden. Same difference really. Take this to an even more unrealistic extreme, maybe the publican would like to stop you using matches, to light your cigarette, that you didn't buy in the pub to light your cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Murt10 wrote: »
    Actually, I just thought of something. Maybe the publican should only let people smoke cigarettes, bought in their pub, smoke in their beer garden. Same difference really. Take this to an even more unrealistic extreme, maybe the publican would like to stop you using matches, to light your cigarette, that you didn't buy in the pub to light your cigarette.

I'll bring my own barstool and glass next time and go out into the street for a piss. Should get me 10% off the price of my pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Murt10 wrote: »

Agree with the rest but come on now, its like walking into a pub with your own bottle of coke and crisps and maybe an oul packet of peanuts and sitting down to watch a match.

You just don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Here's some about me, my other half takes the piss out of me for it.

Whenever I get a Chinese, Thai or Indian takeaway, I will refrigerate leftovers and eat the next day instead of binning it, including her leftovers.

If the food comes in those plastic tubs with a lid, I will rinse them and reuse them as a lunch box or sewing kit or flower tray instead of binning it.

I insist on using the clothes line or clothes horse instead of the dryer to save money where possible.

I recently got my yearly bonus in work and the majority went straight into the credit union.

I dilute the soap bottles with water.

I use the chicken bones and remnants to make a nice broth.

I have reduced my speed in the car to 90 km/h on the motorway with cruise control to save fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd say you'd be the type of lad who wouldn't do over 90KmPH on a regular basis anyway.

Kilometres Per Hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Whenever I get a Chinese, Thai or Indian takeaway, I will refrigerate leftovers and eat the next day instead of binning it, including her leftovers.

If the food comes in those plastic tubs with a lid, I will rinse them and reuse them as a lunch box or sewing kit or flower tray instead of binning it.

I insist on using the clothes line or clothes horse instead of the dryer to save money where possible.

I recently got my yearly bonus in work and the majority went straight into the credit union.

I have reduced my speed in the car to 90 km/h on the motorway with cruise control to save fuel.

I do most of that too! Any more tips?

All jokin aside, you have some great tips there.

Keep the plastic cartons and use as "Tupperware". Freeze stock in them or use them in the shed for storing screws an washers etc.

Same with shampoo

Nothing better. Can be frozen in the aforementioned takeaway cartons.

90 km/h on the motorway is taking the pi$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What's wrong with 90 on a motorway???

They normally have two lanes iirc.

You can overtake it at your 120 or whatever, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The artistic director of Louis Vuitton Virgil Abloh donating 50 Dollars to the fund for aid for the protesters at BLM rallies who got arrested.

He is worth about 1-5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The artistic director of Louis Vuitton Virgil Abloh donating 50 Dollars to the fund for aid for the protesters at BLM rallies who got arrested.

There is an international jewellery company that is getting covid 19 payment for their employees while their employees are working full time from home doing customer service duties since March.

We are all paying for this, but they will probably get away unless one of the employees affected reports them.

I hope they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I do most of the above apart from the soap bit. Watered down washing liquid is useless at killing grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Celelia

I use to go out with a couple the odd time drinking. And one time they suggested to make a kitty for drinks..fine but...they (two of them) said 'we'l put in 100 and you put in 100 ?? Huh? As far as I knew there were three of us there??? So 300 but they were suggesting 100 from me and 100 from two of them. Eh No.

How much did you donate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SVI40

So? Their money to do with as they wish. Do they donate to other charities? Maybe they do.

I donate to my two preferred charities, and have been doing so for over 30 years every month. I MAY donate to another on occasion if I feel it is worth while. But, there are too many popping up, and some for causes I don't agree with, so should we donate to every latest charity that comes along?

It's up to each individual to choose what and how much they donate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

SVI40 wrote: »
    So? Their money to do with as they wish. Do they donate to other charities? Maybe they do.

I donate to my two preferred charities, and have been doing so for over 30 years every month. I MAY donate to another on occasion if I feel it is worth while. But, there are too many popping up, and some for causes I don't agree with, so should we donate to every latest charity that comes along?

It's up to each individual to choose what and how much they donate.

Sounds like you disagree with his charity of choice rather than his stingy 50 quid...

Because a billionaire donating just 50 quid is hilariously stingy regardless of the charity

Advertisement