Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Here's some about me, my other half takes the piss out of me for it.

Whenever I get a Chinese, Thai or Indian takeaway, I will refrigerate leftovers and eat the next day instead of binning it, including her leftovers.

If the food comes in those plastic tubs with a lid, I will rinse them and reuse them as a lunch box or sewing kit or flower tray instead of binning it.

I insist on using the clothes line or clothes horse instead of the dryer to save money where possible.

I recently got my yearly bonus in work and the majority went straight into the credit union.

I dilute the soap bottles with water.

I use the chicken bones and remnants to make a nice broth.

I have reduced my speed in the car to 90 km/h on the motorway with cruise control to save fuel.

none of these things are stingy. Stinginess has an inherent mean quality to it, people who have money but expect other people to pay for them, or live miserable cheap lives unneccessarily. Your list is mostly common sense (& the 90km/h thing is an environmental measure).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

When toilets on building sites became commonplace one foreman I employed took the toilet paper out of the one on his site. Called in there one afternoon and spoke to a guy working there who told me 'John' took it out and had told workers that people were paid to work not to take ****es. Had to take John aside and tell him that he wasn't paying anyone,the toilet paper was going back and he needed to cop himself on. He wasn't a bit embarrassed, actually a bit thick with me, thought he had been doing a great bit of business for the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

^ BYOTP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SVI40

Dodge wrote: »
    Sounds like you disagree with his charity of choice rather than his stingy 50 quid...

Because a billionaire donating just 50 quid is hilariously stingy regardless of the charity

Nope, no idea where you are getting that from.

The post mentions their worth of 1-5 million, not billion, so are they a millionaire, or billionaire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When toilets on building sites became commonplace one foreman I employed took the toilet paper out of the one on his site. Called in there one afternoon and spoke to a guy working there who told me 'John' took it out and had told workers that people were paid to work not to take ****es. Had to take John aside and tell him that he wasn't paying anyone,the toilet paper was going back and he needed to cop himself on. He wasn't a bit embarrassed, actually a bit thick with me, thought he had been doing a great bit of business for the company.

I'd be spending at least 15 minutes cleaning one before I'd even think of sitting in one....

At concerts I could only tolerate a number 1 such the cess pits they are.... Vile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'd be spending at least 15 minutes cleaning one before I'd even think of sitting in one....

At concerts I could only tolerate a number 1 such the cess pits they are.... Vile

That's total stinge here on the part of the concert organisers. I've been to Sziget in Budapest a couple of times, toilets are cleaned round the clock on an ongoing basis. And I mean cleaned. Pumped out, hosed out, sprayed and wiped down several times a day. Also loads of them available so queues are short.

If festival organisers here wanted to, they could provide the same service, but once you've paid your €200+ for the tickets, they just don't want to know about providing basic services.

Now that's stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

SVI40 wrote: »
    Nope, no idea where you are getting that from.

The post mentions their worth of 1-5 million, not billion, so are they a millionaire, or billionaire?
    Speaking of billionaires, going by the same percentage, George Soros should be donating around $500,000. This cause is right up his street.
    Bill Gates needs to fork over 5 million.

edit- That's if the guy is worth $1m. If it is 5m then Soros owes 2.5 mil and gates over 25 mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

wonski wrote: »
    There is an international jewellery company that is getting covid 19 payment for their employees while their employees are working full time from home doing customer service duties since March.

We are all paying for this, but they will probably get away unless one of the employees affected reports them.

I hope they will.

They will have had to prove a downturn in business (25% of turnover I think) to avail of the Covid-19 payment for employees wages.

So, report them for what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There is an international jewellery company that is getting covid 19 payment for their employees while their employees are working full time from home doing customer service duties since March.

We are all paying for this, but they will probably get away unless one of the employees affected reports them.

I hope they will.

I would say it's rife.

Actually talking of the louis vuitton guy ....another guy on FB who would be quite wealthy ..his friend ( a life long friend bleh bleh) was ill with cancer ..terminally...there was a fund for his wife etc ..i donated 25 euro i think...I don't know this guy at all ...and i am not at all wealthy....but it seemed so sad..this rich guy who was a good friend of his gave just 50 euro.

I thought how sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

How much did you donate?

In terms of percentage of wealth, she probably donated much more.

How much did you donate?

Dude ..the EXACT same amount 50 euro!

Isn't that funny!

An Imma broke bitch!

I also gave something to the George Floyd fund. Not that i am saying oh im great!

I don't like saying when i give to charity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

This is why I hate charity, in most senses. Since when did it become mandatory for the public to pay for the needs of others, when we already pay:

VAT on goods and services
    Income tax
    Stamp duty
    Road tax

Can you all please stop this madness, it is optional and no one is obliged to contribute to a charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is why I hate charity, in most senses. Since when did it become mandatory for the public to pay for the needs of others, when we already pay:

Income tax
    Stamp duty
    Road tax

Can you all please stop this madness, it is optional and no one is obliged to contribute to a charity.

People not giving anything is fine. Millionaires contributing very little is funny to me

Think the German saying is that charity is a failure of government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Dude ..the EXACT same amount 50 euro!

Isn't that funny!

An Imma broke bitch!

I also gave something to the George Floyd fund. Not that i am saying oh im great!

I don't like saying when i give to charity!

You just told us. Twice ;)

I'm not in a position to judge anyone by how much or little anyone donates to any cause. Just because someone earns a lot, they could have high financial outgoings. I wouldn't necessarily shout "stinge" at someone for donating something small.

-
    An acquaintance has taken the piss over covid and is being a total dick. They ordered a chunk of PPE from the internet and sold it on to their vulnerable neighbours for massively inflated prices. They made a massive profit and the old folk were none the wiser. They also volunteered to do the grocery shopping for them but charged way above what was on the till. They claimed "delivery charge and rounding for change purposes".

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Income tax
    Stamp duty
    Road tax

Its not a popular opinion, but I do agree. Have the bollix taxed out of my salary every month; then VAT and excise duty charged on the petrol I need to get there, as well as motor tax on the car. And then if I decide to have a few pints at the end of the week I have more VAT and excise duty to pay. All this is collected off me and and redistributed to others; and then there is pressure to give more out whatever bit the government has allowed me to keep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I hope they will.

What's wrong with that? That's what the Wage Subsidy Scheme is for.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Probably due to the extortionate prices at retail and pure profit been made....

I can't say but this is big money business and a lot of places aren't short a few quid buy will make it out they are near bankruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Who's buying jewellery at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

The company pays 30% wage while the employee is still working full time.

That's what wrong.

And yes, they are as busy as before with online orders flying through the roof ;)

Of course they lost a lot of walk in business paying rents etc, but given the size of the company they are not on the edge of bancrupcy.

And yet the Irish government pays 350 a week for their employees running the business online from home. If you can't see it that's fine.

Nice loophole there to be used for some time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I hope they will.

Well, if the jewelers don't actually own the building they are in then they'll still have to pay rent (which is probably extortionate Dublin rates) , electricity and insurance on a building that they are not able to use.

And it's probably the same with their sites worldwide. They might be multi-million but expensive and unused shops or offices are not free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Lets leave the charity/jewellers discussion there please folks, and get back to stingy stories.

Finding lots of adults now using child leap cards....

More then ever and even throughout the lockdown....

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

I feel bad posting this but here goes. At the start of lockdown my partner put a note in our elderly neighbour's door saying to text us if she ever needed anything from the shop, pharmacy etc. This lady is a retired GP (in her early 80s I'd guess) lives alone but has nephews and nieces living locally who do her weekly shopping. Anyway, about once a week now for the past few months she's been texting to ask us to get her groceries and bits and pieces.

At this stage we must have bought her about 100 euros worth of stuff and never once has she mentioned money and neither have we. My partner has also baked stuff and dropped that to her too. She's all thanks etc but again, no mention of cash for the groceries. Luckily we're both working so it's not that big a deal. I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt in that she might be starting to get forgetful but to never even once mention money? At what point should would you start dropping hints? She's either stingy or losing her marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

^ Just hand her the receipt the next time you drop the groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

bobdcow wrote: »
    ^ Just hand her the receipt the next time you drop the groceries.

My partner puts the receipt in the bag with the groceries every time and guess what? She says "Oh I don't want the bag" and hands it back every time. I forgot to mention that detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pawdee wrote: »

. I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt in that she might be starting to get forgetful but to never even once mention money? At what point should would you start dropping hints? She's either stingy or losing her marbles.

My mum is 90 and anytime one of us brings something, she'll insist on paying for it - even if we've, essentially, brought our own lunch.

Very, occasionally, she'll forget to get out the money but, guaranteed, a few days later, she'll be on saying she owes you €5!

Now, I realise, one can become forgetful at any age and everyone's different but I think your neighbour is taking the pish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I feel bad posting this but here goes. At the start of lockdown my partner put a note in our elderly neighbour's door saying to text us if she ever needed anything from the shop, pharmacy etc. This lady is a retired GP (in her early 80s I'd guess) lives alone but has nephews and nieces living locally who do her weekly shopping. Anyway, about once a week now for the past few months she's been texting to ask us to get her groceries and bits and pieces.

At this stage we must have bought her about 100 euros worth of stuff and never once has she mentioned money and neither have we. My partner has also baked stuff and dropped that to her too. She's all thanks etc but again, no mention of cash for the groceries. Luckily we're both working so it's not that big a deal. I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt in that she might be starting to get forgetful but to never even once mention money? At what point should would you start dropping hints? She's either stingy or losing her marbles.

"Just leave your debit / credit card / cash at the door with the shopping list and we'll get right on to it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

My partner puts the receipt in the bag with the groceries every time and guess what? She says "Oh I don't want the bag" and hands it back every time. I forgot to mention that detail.

Sorry OP, there’s no way for you to come out of this looking well

It’s either continue to bring her stuff you’ve paid for (and put up with her stinginess)

Or be direct with her and tell her she has to pay for stuff now (and be prepared for people to call you stingey)

Like you’ve been doing I’d probably do the first one and moan about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Our Neighbour, single 36 year old male, would be regarded as very stingy and frugal.

He lives with his parents, drives his dads old car, his family would buy him clothes and phones etc at Christmas.

When at the pub he would only buy blackcurrant dilute and would never buy a round. However, if you offered to buy him a drink he would request a capital Morgan and orange.

We only found out recently that he has lunchtime and evening tea routine. He would visit our house on Tuesday and Saturday each week (minimum) for a spot of lunch. Other neighbors have mentioned that he would call to their houses in the evenings, at lunch time or on a Friday night when the house might have a weekly take away. So it seems he has a weekly food rota in place.

The man works flex hours so has time for the above. He is also known for his attendance at both funeral masses and receptions both local and far.

Furthermore, he also consider himself to be money sensible. He would oftentimes boast about his large bank balance and how he is more well off than other neighbours who might be farmers or business owners.

Advertisement