Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Our Neighbour, single 36 year old male, would be regarded as very stingy and frugal.

He lives with his parents, drives his dads old car, his family would buy him clothes and phones etc at Christmas.

When at the pub he would only buy blackcurrant dilute and would never buy a round. However, if you offered to buy him a drink he would request a capital Morgan and orange.

We only found out recently that he has lunchtime and evening tea routine. He would visit our house on Tuesday and Saturday each week (minimum) for a spot of lunch. Other neighbors have mentioned that he would call to their houses in the evenings, at lunch time or on a Friday night when the house might have a weekly take away. So it seems he has a weekly food rota in place.

The man works flex hours so has time for the above. He is also known for his attendance at both funeral masses and receptions both local and far.

Furthermore, he also consider himself to be money sensible. He would oftentimes boast about his large bank balance and how he is more well off than other neighbours who might be farmers or business owners.

its easy to have more money that someone else when thye are paung to feed you

he is worse than a stinge he is a leech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The man works flex hours so has time for the above. He is also known for his attendance at both funeral masses and receptions both local and far.
    For some reason I think stinges can often be avid funeral goers as I can piece together a good few of them type of characters around here. I'm not saying all death/ funeral lovers are stinges and I am not saying all stinges are avid funeral goers but the two seem to go hand in hand for some reason. Don't know if its for the free finger food and sandwiches or if its just because they are miserable gits in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

For some reason I think stinges can often be avid funeral goers as I can piece together a good few of them type of characters around here. I'm not saying all death/ funeral lovers are stinges and I am not saying all stinges are avid funeral goers but the two seem to go hand in hand for some reason. Don't know if its for the free finger food and sandwiches or if its just because they are miserable gits in general.

Might be the captive aidience for a chat. Plus if they're not great socially, funerals have a set menu of discussion topics and even a lot of stock phrases.

I think it takes a lack of understanding of social situations to be that stingy in real life. We'd all love if other people paid for things for us but it's not fair and as people cop on, they'll get a negative opinion of you. That's bad if you're tuned into your relationships but probably not as obvious if you're not able to get social situations (think autistic type of inability to get social situations).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

its easy to have more money that someone else when thye are paung to feed you

he is worse than a stinge he is a leech
    How did that
    Brian O'Nolan quote go "I say old man , you are living beyond my means"

From the Best of Myles about running railways through bogs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

sullivlo wrote: »
    You just told us. Twice ;)

I'm not in a position to judge anyone by how much or little anyone donates to any cause. Just because someone earns a lot, they could have high financial outgoings. I wouldn't necessarily shout "stinge" at someone for donating something small.

-
    An acquaintance has taken the piss over covid and is being a total dick. They ordered a chunk of PPE from the internet and sold it on to their vulnerable neighbours for massively inflated prices. They made a massive profit and the old folk were none the wiser. They also volunteered to do the grocery shopping for them but charged way above what was on the till. They claimed "delivery charge and rounding for change purposes".

Not stingy, more outright scummy. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Bosco13

I suppose it's frugal but I was impressed by a guy making one Red Bull last for 5 vodkas.

Knew another guy who would shoplift a 12 lack of Heineken and bring it into the bar in a backpack. He'd get an empty glass and sit down the back drinking his tins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bosco13 wrote: »
    I suppose it's frugal but I was impressed by a guy making one Red Bull last for 5 vodkas.

Knew another guy who would shoplift a 12 lack of Heineken and bring it into the bar in a backpack. He'd get an empty glass and sit down the back drinking his tins.

A late mate used to get 7 Bacardis out of 1 bottle of Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Bosco13 wrote: »

That's theft not stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sligojoek wrote: »
    A late mate used to get 7 Bacardis out of 1 bottle of Coke.

If I was to drink g&t in a pub, I'd probably get about 7 gins out of a bottle of tonic - I onky like a dash of tonic. It's not stingy to mix your drink the way you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: 2nd time I'm asking this, please drop the jewellery shop discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My dad used to work with this fella who was notoriously stingy.

They worked on building sites, so usually one chap finished up 15 minutes before lunch, collected money and bought everyone there lunch. On this particular day the stingy guy went, and my dad asked him to buy him a roll, and a packet of crisps. He gave him €3 or something. The chap came back with just a roll for my dad as he hadn't given him enough money. He was short 10c or something. He wouldn't cover and ask my dad for the money.

Another time they were doing a job near where one of the lads lived, so he invited everyone around to his house for a fry for lunch. Every chipped in €2 or so to cover the cost of the meat, eggs ect. The same fella left €1 because he didn't like the sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

A coworker of mine took an expired crunch corner yoghurt from home and instead of binning it, he brought it into work.
    He bought a new one from staff canteen and went back up with the expired one pretending that's the one he bought.
    The canteen worker gave him back his money and apologised and binned his "expired yoghurt".

He slipped the fresh one into his lunch box that he got that morning and brought it home.

Come to think of it. That's verging on theft.

My lady companion when I was living in the Netherlands used to manipulate the bottle return machine by letting the machine register the bottle but not fully swallow it, she had slender arms. She'd pull it back out and put the same one in several times to get multiples of the 20c deposit until she got caught and barred from the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

A coworker of mine took an expired crunch corner yoghurt from home and instead of binning it, he brought it into work.
    He bought a new one from staff canteen and went back up with the expired one pretending that's the one he bought.
    The canteen worker gave him back his money and apologised and binned his "expired yoghurt".

He slipped the fresh one into his lunch box that he got that morning and brought it home.

Come to think of it. That's verging on theft.

My lady companion when I was living in the Netherlands used to manipulate the bottle return machine by letting the machine register the bottle but not fully swallow it, she had slender arms. She'd pull it back out and put the same one in several times to get multiples of the 20c deposit until she got caught and barred from the shop.

That's looking at theft in the rear view mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

That's looking at theft in the rear view mirror.

Think of all the vending machines that have stolen your money. :)

We used to have a vending machine in the canteen in my last job, I got a packet of crisps one day, while eating them I noticed that they were out of date. I complained to reception (who dealt with the vending machine guy) and got my money back. :)

It was less than EUR 2, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The canteen worker gave him back his money and apologised and binned his "expired yoghurt"... Come to think of it. That's verging on theft.

Never mind stinginess or theft, someone capable of that is a sociopath capable of anything...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

We got a skip delivered earlier. Our neighbour rang to see if she could throw something in. We said no bother, work away. An hour later her sister and brother in law arrived with rubbish for the skip. They drove a 70km round trip to put rubbish in a skip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

We got a skip delivered earlier. Our neighbour rang to see if she could throw something in. We said no bother, work away. An hour later her sister and brother in law arrived with rubbish for the skip. They drove a 70km round trip to put rubbish in a skip.

You should have refused on the grounds of 20km :D

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0616/1147823-solicitor-book-of-evidence/
    Mr O’Higgins, 45, appeared at Dublin District Court today. The Dublin solicitor is accused of the theft of €400 belonging to a Spanish man who was a defendant in district court proceedings, on 30 July, 2016.
    Mr O’Higgins applied for legal aid for his defence.

"applied for legal aid for his defence"

Poor thing you'd swear he didn't know any criminal lawyers or couldn't afford one.

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/lawyers-earn-e29-3m-through-criminal-legal-aid-in-2016
    Cahir O’Higgins & Co. Solicitors, headed by high-profile criminal lawyer Cahir O’Higgins, received the highest amount of criminal legal aid payments last year at €464,865 including VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Poor thing you'd swear he didn't know any criminal lawyers or couldn't afford one.

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/lawyers-earn-e29-3m-through-criminal-legal-aid-in-2016

That shouldn't just be posted here. Elon Musk should use the Starlink satellites to write it out in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That beggars belief, alright.
    I wonder when we'll know if he gets free legal aid or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Didn't a politician do that too where he got legal aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Has the country stopped being stingey all of a sudden?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

The neighbour asked the landlords to send someone to look at her water tank. The poor sod spent hours up there in the dirt and dust right under the roof where the sun had been blaring 30+ degrees of heat for days.

When he came down he asked for a drink. She gave him a glass of water. He asked could he have a splash of orange squash in it. She refused. Said the squash was only for her grandchildren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

My dad used to work with this fella who was notoriously stingy.

They worked on building sites, so usually one chap finished up 15 minutes before lunch, collected money and bought everyone there lunch. On this particular day the stingy guy went, and my dad asked him to buy him a roll, and a packet of crisps. He gave him €3 or something. The chap came back with just a roll for my dad as he hadn't given him enough money. He was short 10c or something. He wouldn't cover and ask my dad for the money.

I completely get how this guy is stingey in your examples but I think if it's an ongoing thing where everyone is short paying the guy going to collect the lunch then he is of pocket every time.

I've seen it myself where people ask you to pick up lunch from the shop for them and the either give you too little money or none at all. I'd rather give too much if it was me.

Not giving enough is stingey in itself and almost a tactic as they know the person will be embarrassed to ask for the euro or whatever they were short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Can a roll even be bought for 3yoyos?
    Roll and a bag a crisps I'd expect 5er to cover it.

Your dad's a stinge.. (den den denn!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

PaulKK wrote: »
    I completely get how this guy is stingey in your examples but I think if it's an ongoing thing where everyone is short paying the guy going to collect the lunch then he is of pocket every time.

I've seen it myself where people ask you to pick up lunch from the shop for them and the either give you too little money or none at all. I'd rather give too much if it was me.

Not giving enough is stingey in itself and almost a tactic as they know the person will be embarrassed to ask for the euro or whatever they were short.

I agree. Not giving enough cash for what you asked for is scummy AF!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭KH25

Years ago my family had a skip outside while some work was being done on the house. One of the neighbours knocked in and asked if she could throw a bag of rubbish on top, to which we said yes.

Cut to a few hours later and she comes walking down with 6 or 7 large black bin bags full of rubbish and starts trying to throw them all on the skip. She was quickly told where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

A lad arrived to my house earlier....i made him tea...he pulled 1 Double Decker bar out of his pocket...I said any for me ??
    "Ah sure the last time you didn't want one...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

4Ad wrote: »
    A lad arrived to my house earlier....i made him tea...he pulled 1 Double Decker bar out of his pocket...I said any for me ??
    "Ah sure the last time you didn't want one...."

They're mank anyway. Tell him stick it.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement