Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In a pub last week.

An old couple beside me threw a tantrum at a clearly young member of staff because they couldn't get alcohol with their toasted sandwiches, purely because they "thought the €9 rule was gone" and "wouldn't have came in if they had to buy €9 worth of food".

Argued with the waiter for a while, before storming out saying they'd make a complaint about their extremely rude, arrogant and disrespectful behaviour at them. (Waiter was as nice and respectful as could be expected)As they reach the door, they see the owner and proceed to loudly name and shame the employee who refused to serve them, on front of several customers. I was about to intervene when another customer, a friend of the owner, jumps up, tells the owner how respectful the staff member was and proceeds to f*** this elderly couple out of it.

Was back in the same pub yesterday, same elderly couple were there, clearing 6/7 rounds of drinks in my around 2 hours that I was there.

All this war over a few quid on food, when they happily spend multiples of that on alcohol. I've a few more stories, but this is the most blatant I've ever seen or even heard locally. I'm not sure if it's stingyness or awkwardness. Annoyed me incredibly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

KH25 wrote: »
    Years ago my family had a skip outside while some work was being done on the house. One of the neighbours knocked in and asked if she could throw a bag of rubbish on top, to which we said yes.

Cut to a few hours later and she comes walking down with 6 or 7 large black bin bags full of rubbish and starts trying to throw them all on the skip. She was quickly told where to go.

Dont know if it was more funny then stingy but a guy I worked with used to bring his black bags of rubbish to work once a month. Older guy and wife only in house all kids had moved away so just him and misses so not a hell of a lot of refuse. He would store up rubbish and bring to work at month end before the big skip was emptied. The only reason we noticed he would very out of the norm go around asking to help dump everyones rubbish bin from their office the day before the bin truck came. It was a bit obvious he was up to something lol Even the way he would coyly ask would you "want your bin emptied to make sure it got in the bin truck tommorrow". Like he cared :D
    That was then used to dump over his rubbish so it wasnt found in case someone noticed his domestic waste :cool: .
    He was scruffed when the boss noticed 3 big black bags he had not properly hidden and went through them and found your mans bank statements and all sorts lol soon after there was then a lock installed on the skip :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Someone in my previous job used to bring in used nappies and stuff them into the sanitary bins in the ladies' toilets.
    I don't know how they did this as the aperture on those bins is very small. The company emptying them complained to facilities management and notices were posted about not putting nappies in the bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Someone in my previous job used to bring in used nappies and stuff them into the sanitary bins in the ladies' toilets.
    I don't know how they did this as the aperture on those bins is very small. The company emptying them complained to facilities management and notices were posted about not putting nappies in the bins!

Were they definitely child size nappies? Maybe a co worker was wearing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In a pub last week.

An old couple beside me threw a tantrum at a clearly young member of staff because they couldn't get alcohol with their toasted sandwiches, purely because they "thought the €9 rule was gone" and "wouldn't have came in if they had to buy €9 worth of food".

Argued with the waiter for a while, before storming out saying they'd make a complaint about their extremely rude, arrogant and disrespectful behaviour at them. (Waiter was as nice and respectful as could be expected)As they reach the door, they see the owner and proceed to loudly name and shame the employee who refused to serve them, on front of several customers. I was about to intervene when another customer, a friend of the owner, jumps up, tells the owner how respectful the staff member was and proceeds to f*** this elderly couple out of it.

Was back in the same pub yesterday, same elderly couple were there, clearing 6/7 rounds of drinks in my around 2 hours that I was there.

All this war over a few quid on food, when they happily spend multiples of that on alcohol. I've a few more stories, but this is the most blatant I've ever seen or even heard locally. I'm not sure if it's stingyness or awkwardness. Annoyed me incredibly though.

Not stinginess. More so rightfully angry at the €9 rule however they could have been a bit nicer to the waiter of course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We've had people steal toilet paper, hand soap, lightbulbs and coat hangers from bathrooms in work.
    Seems like using the bathroom brings out a kleptomania streak in certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Not stinginess. More so rightfully angry at the €9 rule however they could have been a bit nicer to the waiter of course!

Then ask to speak to the bar manager/owner. Hardly the waiters policy and even then, they could speak normally to them instead of getting all pissy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

We've had people steal toilet paper, hand soap, lightbulbs and coat hangers from bathrooms in work.
    Seems like using the bathroom brings out a kleptomania streak in certain people.

Back in 1990s UCG /NUIG when I was an undergraduate, the loo roll holders were padlocked to stop students nicking the big rolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have been to a couple of parties hosted by the same family in a venue. A huge cake has been brought out, candles, everyone has sang Happy Birthday etc and then the cake has been spirited away for the family themselves. Not a slice for any of the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I have been to a couple of parties hosted by the same family in a venue. A huge cake has been brought out, candles, everyone has sang Happy Birthday etc and then the cake has been spirited away for the family themselves. Not a slice for any of the guests.

Hungry fcuks. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm in a cafe in Dalkey with an elderly, notoriously tightfisted relative named Popette.

Waitress comes over to take the order and Popette announces she'll have the soup and toast at €6.50. Waitress says fine and writes it down. Popette leans forward jabbing her spindly finger at the menu saying, "I see in the starters section you have toast down at €3.50. Is that right?" "Yes, would you like an extra portion of toast?", asks the waitress. "No, I don't any toast at all, so could you give me the soup only and I'll pay you €3?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

robindch wrote: »
    I'm in a cafe in Dalkey with an elderly, notoriously tightfisted relative named Popette.

Waitress comes over to take the order and Popette announces she'll have the soup and toast at €6.50. Waitress says fine and writes it down. Popette leans forward jabbing her spindly finger at the menu saying, "I see in the starters section you have toast down at €3.50. Is that right?" "Yes, would you like an extra portion of toast?", asks the waitress. "No, I don't any toast at all, so could you give me the soup only and I'll pay you €3?"

€3.50 for toast!!!! Must be a very posh cafe. I'd expect the whole loaf for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

My OH was on a staff night out a few years back and noticed one of his colleagues whom he always thought was stingy drinking "Guinness shandies" so he asked what they were, half Guinness, half tap water came the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Greta_Funberg

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us. They get the same back on their day. It's a system that works for me. But anyways, I noticed what the cousin's brother gave us. So him, his wife and his two kids came to ours for the full day and meal. They gave us a lovely gift of... thirty quid! I must have suppressed that memory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us.

Jesus Christ. Does it come out of your communion money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

OhHiMark wrote: »

I think it’s a good idea. If someone was particularly generous to me I’d like to return the favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think it’s a good idea. If someone was particularly generous to me I’d like to return the favour.

If some one was ‘particularly generous’ surely you’d remember?

(And as this thread proves, we all remember the stinges too)

Keeping a physical record of gifts received is insane

OhHiMark wrote: »

Don't think it's a big deal. Was at a wedding last year where the couple gave us a very, very generous amount. Would be embarrassed not to do likewise. Up to you if you want to treat them the same as a thirty-quider for a family of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us. They get the same back on their day.

A little book?

This springs to mind. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In a pub last week.

I'd have barred those two scumbags there and then if it were me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us. They get the same back on their day. It's a system that works for me. But anyways, I noticed what the cousin's brother gave us. So him, his wife and his two kids came to ours for the full day and meal. They gave us a lovely gift of... thirty quid! I must have suppressed that memory...

isn't the cousins brother still your cousin?

I think having a book is a bit too far, how long will this book last, until all 100 guests are married?

what do you give the kids that went to your wedding and are getting married 20 years later. does Auntie Greta return the favour with a handmade card because little Johnny gave it at theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone g

So many questions....
    do you take inflation into account?
    cost of the meal/event?
    amount of free drinks provided?
    the wealth of the couple?
    If you had to travel further to the wedding than they did, do you deduct fuel costs?
    If a single person was at your wedding but you & spouse go to theirs do you double the amount you give?

fitzparker wrote: »
    isn't the cousins brother still your cousin?

My wife's cousin.
    I think having a book is a bit too far, how long will this book last, until all 100 guests are married?

We had 200+ at the wedding, plus got stuff from people who did not attend. The entry in a book, it's like a few pages, lasts as long as it lasts.
    what do you give the kids that went to your wedding and are getting married 20 years later.

The going rate, that I have done before getting married... Why all the confusion.

Stinge story: Was at a wedding once. A tray of drinks were "accidentally" taken from a table by a relative of the bride's. The same accident occurred to the same man a while later, at a different table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

dinneenp wrote: »
    So many questions....
    do you take inflation into account?
    cost of the meal/event?
    amount of free drinks provided?
    the wealth of the couple?
    If you had to travel further to the wedding than they did, do you deduct fuel costs?
    If a single person was at your wedding but you & spouse go to theirs do you double the amount you give?

If you went to one of their weddings first what did you give with no precedent?

In that case were they left out of the book or was it all recorded for posterity?

If that couple subsequently remarried, how would you know what to give them for their wedding?

That actually applies to anyone who was at your wedding and broke up, how do you know what to give them?

What if a generous couple broke up and one of them got together with a stingy person from the wedding and then they got married?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My head hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Its hilarious when someone comes to this thread to complain about a stinge, and it turns out they're actually the stingy one and just can't see it, that's my favourite thing about this thread.

A little book to write down what people gave you at your wedding, that's proper miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My head hurts.

My pockets hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

My head hurts.

No, no... This material has potential content for another thread :)

I was quite anal as a child.
    I kept a log of what everyone gave me for my confirmation. But it was more for sentiment than to hold a score over anyone in the future because I also kept all my communion and confirmation cards in a scrap book which only went into the fire a few years ago! (I'm almost 40 btw).
    The sad thing was that maybe 50% of the card senders are now RIP.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I was at a work night out. It came to bill paying time in the restaurant.
    We were divvying up the cash. One guy offered to put it all on his credit card, all 9 of us paid him cash.
    The average meal price etc. plus a tip.

What does he do? Pays the bill, for the total of the 9 people, exactly whats on the bill. Do ye get me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was at a work night out. It came to bill paying time in the restaurant.
    We were divvying up the cash. One guy offered to put it all on his credit card, all 9 of us paid him cash.
    The average meal price etc. plus a tip.

What does he do? Pays the bill, for the total of the 9 people, exactly whats on the bill. Do ye get me?

No tip?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement