Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was at a work night out. It came to bill paying time in the restaurant.
    We were divvying up the cash. One guy offered to put it all on his credit card, all 9 of us paid him cash.
    The average meal price etc. plus a tip.

What does he do? Pays the bill, for the total of the 9 people, exactly whats on the bill. Do ye get me?

That was a very nice tip you left him, for taking care of that difficult transaction for ye :pac:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We were divvying up the cash. One guy offered to put it all on his credit card, all 9 of us paid him cash.

What does he do? Pays the bill, for the total of the 9 people, exactly whats on the bill. Do ye get me?

Did you notice this in the restaurant? I would have no issue making a show of him in front of everyone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I am not a good example of said virtue.

I do occasionally (daily) avail of the one euro lunch special in the staff canteen.
    Stopping off to pick up a few toilet rolls, washing up liquid, and to drop off my garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that isnt stinge, that is theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

that isnt stinge, that is theft.

It's cute hoorism.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seeing a hell of a lot of people packing rubbish into street bins and bins at shops...

Some to the extreme where they have packed everything so it will fit, probably weighs a ton....

I'd say the stats will show huge increase in it all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's cute hoorism.

Its more than that.
    If someone offers service deserving of a tip- they deserve their tip (which may be shared with kitchen staff and others- as obviously the waiting staff only represent the face that the customer sees- there are others in the background who are critical to the transaction).
    If this was in America- you'd probably have been chased down and berated in public for not leaving a tip- in Ireland they'd not go this far- but they certainly would view you as a cheapskate and question why they went to the trouble to offer an outstanding service to you.

A tip is a recognition of the outstanding food and service- and is not for schelping by the person paying the bill- who is defacto stealing from the pocket of the waiter(s) and the kitchen staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's cute hoorism.

No it's theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In a pub last week.

An old couple beside me threw a tantrum at a clearly young member of staff because they couldn't get alcohol with their toasted sandwiches, purely because they "thought the €9 rule was gone" and "wouldn't have came in if they had to buy €9 worth of food".

Argued with the waiter for a while, before storming out saying they'd make a complaint about their extremely rude, arrogant and disrespectful behaviour at them. (Waiter was as nice and respectful as could be expected)As they reach the door, they see the owner and proceed to loudly name and shame the employee who refused to serve them, on front of several customers. I was about to intervene when another customer, a friend of the owner, jumps up, tells the owner how respectful the staff member was and proceeds to f*** this elderly couple out of it.

Was back in the same pub yesterday, same elderly couple were there, clearing 6/7 rounds of drinks in my around 2 hours that I was there.

All this war over a few quid on food, when they happily spend multiples of that on alcohol. I've a few more stories, but this is the most blatant I've ever seen or even heard locally. I'm not sure if it's stingyness or awkwardness. Annoyed me incredibly though.

They are the kind who would spend 150 euro on drink on a night out, then offer the taxi driver 5 euro to get them home when its a 10 euro fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Its more than that.
    If someone offers service deserving of a tip- they deserve their tip (which may be shared with kitchen staff and others- as obviously the waiting staff only represent the face that the customer sees- there are others in the background who are critical to the transaction).
    If this was in America- you'd probably have been chased down and berated in public for not leaving a tip- in Ireland they'd not go this far- but they certainly would view you as a cheapskate and question why they went to the trouble to offer an outstanding service to you.

A tip is a recognition of the outstanding food and service- and is not for schelping by the person paying the bill- who is defacto stealing from the pocket of the waiter(s) and the kitchen staff.

While I agree with you, not gonna get into tipping/ non-tipping, there's at least one thread a year on this that gets pretty heated, and each to their own on that

I've been out with a group where this has happened, and I've subtly called it out. If people don't want tip, thats their choice, but don't take my tip to pay for your own meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's cute hoorism.

no, it is definitely theft. if i hand you money and ask you to give it to the person next to you but you keep it instead then that is theft. I hate this irish ****e where you are congratulated for punching down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

This text from my housemate not 5 mins ago...

Someone keeps leaving the microwave door open. This leaves the light on which uses electricity. I have seen it left open a couple of times now. Can we make sure we close it please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

frag420 wrote: »

Someone keeps leaving the microwave door open. This leaves the light on which uses electricity. I have seen it left open a couple of times now. Can we make sure we close

Is that passive aggressive? I'd be more worried about the bulb blowing. Tell her to f.off and get a life!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I saw my sister filling her car from my elderly parents home Diesel tank today, didn't say a word, the tank is full of green Agri Diesel so the stinge is on her if dipped by the Customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

frag420 wrote: »

Someone keeps leaving the microwave door open. This leaves the light on which uses electricity. I have seen it left open a couple of times now. Can we make sure we close it please?

Tell them that as the microwave bulb is a mere 10 watts, and the kitchen light is 30 watts, it’s actually cheaper to illuminate the room by keeping the microwave door open than turning in the main light. And you were thinking of getting a second microwave for the bathroom to save money there too, so could they pitch in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tell them that as the microwave bulb is a mere 10 watts, and the kitchen light is 30 watts, it’s actually cheaper to illuminate the room by keeping the microwave door open than turning in the main light. And you were thinking of getting a second microwave for the bathroom to save money there too, so could they pitch in?

I'd be more worried about the light attracting flies or moths into it.

sligojoek wrote: »

True, this is a good reason to keep your house in total darkness at all times. However, you may then have to contend with an owl infestation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

True, this is a good reason to keep your house in total darkness at all times. However, you may then have to contend with an owl infestation.

True, Not to mention bats. The covid spreading feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us. They get the same back on their day. It's a system that works for me. But anyways, I noticed what the cousin's brother gave us. So him, his wife and his two kids came to ours for the full day and meal. They gave us a lovely gift of... thirty quid! I must have suppressed that memory...

Hope you've factored inflation in to your completely soulless eye for an eye spirit of celebration.

Worked with a guy who used to pick up a discarded food receipt off the floor in the airport, so he could charge the few euro as a meal expense to the company on business trips. He could have bought an actual meal and expensed it - and got both the food and the cash - but in his head, picking up litter made more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Worked with a guy who used to pick up a discarded food receipt off the floor in the airport, so he could charge the few euro as a meal expense to the company on business trips. He could have bought an actual meal and expensed it - and got both the food and the cash - but in his head, picking up litter made more sense.

If you work for a company that gives you €5-6 a day expenses and parking charges you can easily make up €100 a week!

Be savvy about it.....thats €5k a year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In a pub last week.

An old couple beside me threw a tantrum at a clearly young member of staff because they couldn't get alcohol with their toasted sandwiches, purely because they "thought the €9 rule was gone" and "wouldn't have came in if they had to buy €9 worth of food".

Argued with the waiter for a while, before storming out saying they'd make a complaint about their extremely rude, arrogant and disrespectful behaviour at them. (Waiter was as nice and respectful as could be expected)As they reach the door, they see the owner and proceed to loudly name and shame the employee who refused to serve them, on front of several customers. I was about to intervene when another customer, a friend of the owner, jumps up, tells the owner how respectful the staff member was and proceeds to f*** this elderly couple out of it.

Was back in the same pub yesterday, same elderly couple were there, clearing 6/7 rounds of drinks in my around 2 hours that I was there.

All this war over a few quid on food, when they happily spend multiples of that on alcohol. I've a few more stories, but this is the most blatant I've ever seen or even heard locally. I'm not sure if it's stingyness or awkwardness. Annoyed me incredibly though.

Real stinge here is the landlord to allow people who abuse his staff back in. Could you imagine the same waiter had to serve them again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Yyhhuuu, do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Real stinge here is the landlord to allow people who abuse his staff back in. Could you imagine the same waiter had to serve them again?
    I'd say they would only love if that happened.
    'Well I hope you have learned your lesson and treat us with a bit more respect this time' etc :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Greta_Funberg

jay1988 wrote: »
    Its hilarious when someone comes to this thread to complain about a stinge, and it turns out they're actually the stingy one and just can't see it, that's my favourite thing about this thread.

A little book to write down what people gave you at your wedding, that's proper miserable.

It may be that, but it's not "stingy". I mean you do know what the word means, right?

I have a confession. I also keep records, thrown somewhere in my filing box, of received credit card statements! Imagine that, keeping a record of some finances... Madness.

Three of us went on a work trip to the US. We were brought out to an asian restaurant that served huge portions. The three of us couldn't finish the meal, so without asking the restaurant packaged up the leftovers in doggie bags to bring with us. We were staying in a hotel and didn't have a fridge, and were getting expensed meals anyway, so we didn't really want the food but took it out of politeness.

One of the US guys invited us to watch a move in his house after the meal, so we headed back there. When we were leaving his place, waiting for the taxi, we still had the doggie bags with us. He sheepishly asked us if we were going to eat the food. We said no, we had no-where to keep it. He then asked if he could have it. We said sure. You should have seen his little face when we handed over three leftover, half eaten chinese meals. Like a kid at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Three of us went on a work trip to the US. We were brought out to an asian restaurant that served huge portions. The three of us couldn't finish the meal, so without asking the restaurant packaged up the leftovers in doggie bags to bring with us. We were staying in a hotel and didn't have a fridge, and were getting expensed meals anyway, so we didn't really want the food but took it out of politeness.
    One of the US guys invited us to watch a move in his house after the meal, so we headed back there. When we were leaving his place, waiting for the taxi, we still had the doggie bags with us. He sheepishly asked us if we were going to eat the food. We said no, we had no-where to keep it. He then asked if he could have it. We said sure. You should have seen his little face when we handed over three leftover, half eaten chinese meals. Like a kid at Christmas.

The stuff would have just gone in the bin, waste not want not and all that ... it's not like he dumper dived for it :)
    Unless there were any other examples of stinginess observed from him I'd let that one slide.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is disgusting more than anything else. you definitely wouldn't be doing that these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

<of microwave ovens>
    sligojoek wrote: »

I leave my mic oven open to let the condensate from food air out after use, then close it a couple of hours later. Previous ovens rusted the arse out of themselves in a couple of years, but this current one has lasted five or six years so far and not a trace of corrosion.

That's stingy :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,454 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    <of microwave ovens>

I leave my mic oven open to let the condensate from food air out after use, then close it a couple of hours later. Previous ovens rusted the arse out of themselves in a couple of years, but this current one has lasted five or six years so far and not a trace of corrosion.

I do this as well, but am convinced I'm going to burn the house down some time because I forget to close it again..... have you felt the heat of those bulbs when they've been on for a couple of hours?? :eek:

Nice tip about prolonging the life of the appliance though,! :cool:

Advertisement