Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    <of microwave ovens>

I leave my mic oven open to let the condensate from food air out after use, then close it a couple of hours later. Previous ovens rusted the arse out of themselves in a couple of years, but this current one has lasted five or six years so far and not a trace of corrosion.

That's stingy :)

A real stinge would turn off the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I have a small push mower for the garden, it's a semi-D with a small front and back and does the job as long as you give it a trim once every 10 days. It broke, gave it to a welder to fix and in the meantime rented one for an hour instead (€10 per hour). Neighbour asked where I got it, told him and he asked could he borrow it to do his. So I said yes, trying to be a decent neighbour.

Hearing he was finished, I went out front to put it in the car and started to chat to him; asked was his broken, he said: "No, but the fella you rented off gives the petrol for free, so I thought I'd use your one". I just went, OK, then he asked me why I was putting it in the car without siphoning off some petrol. He said I may as well, seeing as I'm paying for the rent and that's what he used to do.

I'm not sure how much fits in a tank, maybe 2 litres? So he was suggesting that I siphon off €2 of fuel to make the €10 rental more worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

friend of mine dropped a guy home one night in his Taxi, say the fare was 8 euro, whatever way it worked out my friend owed the guy 20 cent, the guy went mental threatening to call the guards, my friend had to drop the 20 cent to him the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

KevRossi wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much fits in a tank, maybe 2 litres? So he was suggesting that I siphon off €2 of fuel to make the €10 rental more worthwhile.

I doubt you'd get even 1 litre into your average push mower.
    That is serious stinge. After two lawns there'd hardly be half a cup left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Finally, a quality stinge story.

Siphoning off mower petrol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Dodge wrote: »
    Finally, a quality stinge story.

Siphoning off mower petrol :D

His first sting was to use the mower I rented instead of using his own as it saved a bit of wear and tear and a bit of petrol.

Second stinge was to suggest siphoning it off.

He got a bit plssed when I told him I use the old push mower, which is at least 25 years old and it costs nothing more than a bit of sweat to run. Has cost me about €20 in welding over the past 15 years. His garden is actually smaller than mine as a lot of it is patio so it would work even better for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Thread cleaned up properly this time, do not quote thread banned posters please. Stay on topic and don't derail a good thread. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

It may be that, but it's not "stingy". I mean you do know what the word means, right?

I have a confession. I also keep records, thrown somewhere in my filing box, of received credit card statements! Imagine that, keeping a record of some finances... Madness.

I do understand what it means and you are the epitome of it.

You wrote down what people gave you as a wedding gift, actually wrote it down to keep a record of it, to decide how much you'd give them, thats tight and there's no two ways about it.

jay1988 wrote: »
    I do understand what it means and you are the epitome of it.

You wrote down what people gave you as a wedding gift, actually wrote it down to keep a record of it, to decide how much you'd give them, thats tight and there's no two ways about it.

it mightn't be so much tight as not wanting to be made a fool of in a way. like in fairness if a friend of mine who has money gave me 20 euro on my wedding day, he would get the same back on his, why would i give him 100 when he gave me 20? for all you know if a friend of Gretas gave her 200 euro, she would return the favor. it might not be about Greta being tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

On the wedding topic..
    I was BM a few years ago.
    I'm a cousin to the bride so my house was a drop off for some of our mutual relatives presents in the run up to the wedding because they knew I'd see the couple.
    Our relations (couple in their 50s who would be very comfortable financially and the wife always has a new top to toe outfit for every family occasion I've seen her at) arrived to me with a wrapped box and a card. This couple were attending the full wedding BTW.
    She commented that the present was 'just a token gift' so I taped the card to the present figuring the card contained money and I wanted my cousin to know who the 'token gift' was from.
    She told me afterwards the card was simply that, a card, nothing else in the envelope and the 'token gift' was a €30 (she googled it!) homeware gift from a well known chain store.
    Same couple spent a fortune on booze that day too.
    I know people say that you shouldn't have an expectation of your gifts at your wedding but still...

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I am still using a netbook I bought in 2010 and runs windows 7.And can't justify or afford the more fancy and high priced laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,399 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am still using a netbook I bought in 2010 and runs windows 7.And can't justify or afford the more fancy and high priced laptops.

That's frugal slash "making do" rather than stingy ... stingy would be expecting to borrow someone else's expensive laptop at will :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it mightn't be so much tight as not wanting to be made a fool of in a way. like in fairness if a friend of mine who has money gave me 20 euro on my wedding day, he would get the same back on his, why would i give him 100 when he gave me 20? for all you know if a friend of Gretas gave her 200 euro, she would return the favor. it might not be about Greta being tight.

Exactly this, in no way is it stingy to give someone back a gift equivalent to the gift they gave you. With even a medium sized wedding it's pretty much impossible to remember who gave what some years later so writing it down makes sense. I think the only people who would be concerned with this becoming common are the stinges who thought they were getting away with their stingy gifts expecting them to be forgotten about over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A guy buys himself a fancy golf club membership and all kinds of fancy trips ....his wife hasn't had new clothes in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A guy buys himself a fancy golf club membership and all kinds of fancy trips ....his wife hasn't had new clothes in ages.

Why doesn't she buy herself clothes out of her wages??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭arctictree

The stinge here is just over thinking it. Just give the couple what you want and forget about who gave who what in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

arctictree wrote: »
    The stinge here is just over thinking it. Just give the couple what you want and forget about who gave who what in the past.

I kept a list as well. It was because some people gave very generous gifts, more than i would normally give at a wedding. I wanted to remember the people who gave them so i could give the same back. For the people who were stingy i just give my normal present.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

On the wedding topic..
    I was BM a few years ago.
    I'm a cousin to the bride so my house was a drop off for some of our mutual relatives presents in the run up to the wedding because they knew I'd see the couple.
    Our relations (couple in their 50s who would be very comfortable financially and the wife always has a new top to toe outfit for every family occasion I've seen her at) arrived to me with a wrapped box and a card. This couple were attending the full wedding BTW.
    She commented that the present was 'just a token gift' so I taped the card to the present figuring the card contained money and I wanted my cousin to know who the 'token gift' was from.
    She told me afterwards the card was simply that, a card, nothing else in the envelope and the 'token gift' was a €30 (she googled it!) homeware gift from a well known chain store.
    Same couple spent a fortune on booze that day too.
    I know people say that you shouldn't have an expectation of your gifts at your wedding but still...

So,she invited them thinking she was going to get a massive gift.But is moaning they only gave her a 30 euro gift.

You dont invite people to your wedding for gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

But what if you invite a couple or relatives who are loaded, or won the lotto they give you €500,€1000 or major money.

You can't be in a sweat when their big day is coming trying to get that kind of money up.

as poster above suggested, you give what you want, what feels right (obviously €30 is a hungry Cnut), expectations from your wedding is stingy to me.

some people already have it calculated before the wedding what they expect to make from it.

my wedding for example (I didn't take notes by the way!) We planned a few years out so saved our asses for it so we wouldn't need a loan, it meant what we got from it was a bonus opened our gifts and were taken back of what we got.

2 days later my friend called me asking did another mate give me a card, I couldn't recall (again because we didnt write down) my friend replied "well im just off the phone to him he said he "forgot to give it" and needs to drop it up.

2 years later and he never has, now this is a mate who isn't broke, who is close to me, but is notoriously scabby and he gets hounded off us for being it.

BUT when his big day arrives, im not going to hand him nothing or forget the card. ill give him the going rate and get over it

some people actually have it noted thinking to themselves "roll on your big day in 10 years wait and you see"!!!!

fitzparker wrote: »
    But what if you invite a couple or relatives who are loaded, or won the lotto they give you €500,€1000 or major money.

You can't be in a sweat when their big day is coming trying to get that kind of money up.

as poster above suggested, you give what you want, what feels right (obviously €30 is a hungry Cnut), expectations from your wedding is stingy to me.

some people already have it calculated before the wedding what they expect to make from it.

my wedding for example (I didn't take notes by the way!) We planned a few years out so saved our asses for it so we wouldn't need a loan, it meant what we got from it was a bonus opened our gifts and were taken back of what we got.

2 days later my friend called me asking did another mate give me a card, I couldn't recall (again because we didnt write down) my friend replied "well im just off the phone to him he said he "forgot to give it" and needs to drop it up.

2 years later and he never has, now this is a mate who isn't broke, who is close to me, but is notoriously scabby and he gets hounded off us for being it.

BUT when his big day arrives, im not going to hand him nothing or forget the card. ill give him the going rate and get over it

some people actually have it noted thinking to themselves "roll on your big day in 10 years wait and you see"!!!!

Bigger fool you are so. I remember someone on this thread wrote before that their good "friend" and his wife gave them a bed sheet as a wedding gift, the guy thought it was a joke but that was all they ever received. now if the "friend" ever got married how would you put 100-200 euro into an envelope for them? your so called friend got one over on you, you would be mad to ever give him a cent if he gets married, I would give a card with nothing in it as he would think it contains money then he will be gutted when he opens it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Bigger fool you are so. I remember someone on this thread wrote before that their good "friend" and his wife gave them a bed sheet as a wedding gift, the guy thought it was a joke but that was all they ever received. now if the "friend" ever got married how would you put 100-200 euro into an envelope for them? your so called friend got one over on you, you would be mad to ever give him a cent if he gets married, I would give a card with nothing in it as he would think it contains money then he will be gutted when he opens it lol

Do you really think people are gutted if they open up a wedding card and there is nothing in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jesus Christ, wedding gifts bring out the worst in people.

We got married in a registry office, 16 guests, had a nice dinner for everyone after. My Dad gave us a couple of grand, and my sister-in-law gave us a hammock and an apple tree. That was it, nothing from anyone else. We were glad of the company on the day, glad of the things we did get, and don't hold anything against anyone. This business of judging people by their gifts and keeping records so you can get them back - petty stuff, and a total waste of time and energy.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Do you really think people are gutted if they open up a wedding card and there is nothing in it?

stingy people are. like the guy who "forgot" to give the card. I would be gutted if i opened an empty card from a friend, not because I need the money but because of what it says about someone I thought was a friend.

I know of a couple who are notoriously stingy and well known for it. nearly everyone gave them gifts for this reason. the couple were furious. a couple of months later people saw all the gifts for sale on adverts or done deal lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

its petty, stop getting married to pay the bills. its not about gifts really is it?

flip this one the other way. if your friend handed you a card with 2 grand in it.

would you work yourself in a sweat saving/borrowing 2k if you didn't have it to return the favour?

I cant believe some people actually go to lengths having the gifts to one side and googling each one individually and putting a price against it so they know what to give that person for their day.

Weird people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

stingy people are. like the guy who "forgot" to give the card. I would be gutted if i opened an empty card from a friend, not because I need the money but because of what it says about someone I thought was a friend.

Depends. When I got married i got a hand written letter from my uncle which gave a description of the Latin meanings of our names and an interpretation of what the names could mean together and how they compliment each other. He's a Latin speaker so it was a really personalised message. That letter always stands out in my mind amongst all the generous cash gifts people gave us.

fitzparker wrote: »
    its petty, stop getting married to pay the bills. its not about gifts really is it?

flip this one the other way. if your friend handed you a card with 2 grand in it.

would you work yourself in a sweat saving/borrowing 2k if you didn't have it to return the favour?

I cant believe some people actually go to lengths having the gifts to one side and googling each one individually and putting a price against it so they know what to give that person for their day.

Weird people

my dad always told me treat people how they treat you. so if you text someone and it takes them 2 days to text you back, do the same with them. if they put a woman before you, you do the same with them. if they don't offer you a pint when going up to the bar, you get the picture. otherwise you are just been made an ejit of.

Depends. When I got married i got a hand written letter from my uncle which gave a description of the Latin meanings of our names and an interpretation of what the names could mean together and how they compliment each other. He's a Latin speaker so it was a really personalised message. That letter always stands out in my mind amongst all the generous cash gifts people gave us.

if your uncle was well off and gave you that gift, would you think it was a lovely gift or would you think he was being tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

if your uncle was well off and gave you that gift, would you think it was a lovely gift or would you think he was being tight?

Its not about being well off though.

You are not entitled to a bigger gift just because people are well off.Invite people to the wedding cause you want them there,not what you can get out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

KevRossi wrote: »
    I have a small push mower for the garden, it's a semi-D with a small front and back and does the job as long as you give it a trim once every 10 days. It broke, gave it to a welder to fix and in the meantime rented one for an hour instead (€10 per hour). Neighbour asked where I got it, told him and he asked could he borrow it to do his. So I said yes, trying to be a decent neighbour.

Hearing he was finished, I went out front to put it in the car and started to chat to him; asked was his broken, he said: "No, but the fella you rented off gives the petrol for free, so I thought I'd use your one". I just went, OK, then he asked me why I was putting it in the car without siphoning off some petrol. He said I may as well, seeing as I'm paying for the rent and that's what he used to do.

Sent this to my brother, he asked was it true, he couldn't believe it !!

Advertisement