Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mod: And on that, we'll move the thread back in the direction of Stingy Stories, and away from wedding gifts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think I might have a winner.
    Did a small job this morning. Replace 2 floor joists and a sheet if ply . Told him to get stuff. Turned up this morning. First thing he says is how expensive the sheet 8f ply, 2 timbers and screws are. Second thing was that one shop was x price for each 2nd shop was y , 3rd was z . So he bought the ply in one shop then drove 20 km to get the screws and timbers . .
    Bought cheap screws aswell. As a reault a dozen screws striped out the heads. . I threw them into bucket to take to the bin. He took them out and said he will take them back and expects some money back. 20 km trip to bring back a dozen crap screws. .
    I hope they laugh at him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Off Topic Posts Deleted. The Wedding Presents discussion stops here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was told I needed new brake pads.... Done 40k on them since and still grand... Now they will need doing shortly.... I hope that's stingey

I was told I needed new brake pads.... Done 40k on them since and still grand... Now they will need doing shortly.... I hope that's stingey
    doe guy told me to think about getting tyres. 6000km later they wore down to the indicater mark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- you only have 4 points of contact with the road- its foolhardy- not stingy- to deliberately see how much you can get out of it.
    You obviously don't care for your own safety or that of others- if you're deliberately running brake pads and tyres to the very minimum just because you can.
    If an NCT marks an advisory on tyres (or brakes or whatever)- surely its a wakeup call to get them sorted- not some sort of bizarre challenge to try and prove the NCT tester wrong? I just do not understand the mentality of this behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Guys- you only have 4 points of contact with the road- its foolhardy- not stingy- to deliberately see how much you can get out of it.
    You obviously don't care for your own safety or that of others- if you're deliberately running brake pads and tyres to the very minimum just because you can.
    If an NCT marks an advisory on tyres (or brakes or whatever)- surely its a wakeup call to get them sorted- not some sort of bizarre challenge to try and prove the NCT tester wrong? I just do not understand the mentality of this behaviour.

Not at all. Wouldn't do so.... The brake pads weren't needing change... Jaysus it was a bit of a joke too.....

I would not leave tyres or brakes.

4 new tyres on, one blew after a month, another fitted new....
    This happened me on another car twice in space of 2 weeks and I bought brand new again and good ones too.... 2 of them blew out on the M50 and latest was M11. Wasn't nice.

thats a tad dramatic. . those tyres had only 24k on them at the time so that 6k only brought them to 30k. and at that they were still perfectly legal and only changed because i traded in the van.
    its not a game . its blatant upselling and hoping the person blindly goes and buys new tyres that they dont need. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

thats a tad dramatic. . those tyres had only 24k on them at the time so that 6k only brought them to 30k. and at that they were still perfectly legal and only changed because i traded in the van.
    its not a game . its blatant upselling and hoping the person blindly goes and buys new tyres that they dont need. .

why would the DOE guy care if you bought new tyres or not? he isn't selling tyres.:confused:

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why would the DOE guy care if you bought new tyres or not? he isn't selling tyres.:confused:

in this case he does have a garage and probably sells tyres. i have never used his garage so cant say for sure

i dont know why he would care. i checked them all and couldnt find anything wrong anywhere. local guy that is a tracter mechanic agreed that they are perfectly fine and to drive on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

NCT/DOE will mark it as a caution if you're annual mileage means the tyres will be under the limit at the next test. There are a huge amount of people out there who regard the NCT as a sort of annual car service.

The guy with the brake pads was trying an upsell I'd say. I've seen it a lot in the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

doe guy told me to think about getting tyres. 6000km later they wore down to the indicater mark

6k is not a lot extra you got.

893bet wrote: »
    6k is not a lot extra you got.

it was 6 months driing at the time and still a little life in them when i traded in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

KevRossi wrote: »
    NCT/DOE will mark it as a caution if you're annual mileage means the tyres will be under the limit at the next test. There are a huge amount of people out there who regard the NCT as a sort of annual car service.
    NCT do not have a clue what anybody's annual mileage will be in the next year, they are not fortune tellers. If you have tyres that are below a certain limit you will be issued a pass certificate with a pass advisory on it for the tyres, i.e. you are close to the legal limit. If you have tyres that are below the legal limit then that's a fail.
    You are right about the amount of people out there who regard the NCT as a sort of annual service though which is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us. They get the same back on their day. It's a system that works for me. But anyways, I noticed what the cousin's brother gave us. So him, his wife and his two kids came to ours for the full day and meal. They gave us a lovely gift of... thirty quid! I must have suppressed that memory...
    But sure what it there's a couple of years difference, do you take inflation into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My brother has become very stringy recently.

He has been working with my dad over the summer, and he has a few grand saved, which is pretty good going at 19. The issue is, he won't spend any of it, and is trying to get people to spend there money on him.

For example, last weekend for the Champions League my final, my and another brother were getting a Chipper. I asked the 19 y/o was he getting anything, he looks a the menu and goes to me "Who's Paying?". When I said that he is, he goes to me "Well, that changes everything", and decides to get nothing. As if I'm going to buy you a chipper because you don't want to spend money.

The funny thing is, when he had **** all he spent it on clothes, aftershave etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

My brother has become very stringy recently.

He has been working with my dad over the summer, and he has a few grand saved, which is pretty good going at 19. The issue is, he won't spend any of it, and is trying to get people to spend there money on him.

For example, last weekend for the Champions League my final, my and another brother were getting a Chipper. I asked the 19 y/o was he getting anything, he looks a the menu and goes to me "Who's Paying?". When I said that he is, he goes to me "Well, that changes everything", and decides to get nothing. As if I'm going to buy you a chipper because you don't want to spend money.

The funny thing is, when he had **** all he spent it on clothes, aftershave etc.

Well that's why he had f*** all. I noticed how people start to hoard money when they get the taste of it.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Well that's why he had f*** all. I noticed how people start to hoard money when they get the taste of it.

Its a compulsion- a bit like gambling- but totally irrational nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Wife's cousin wedding recently. Didn't go to it, but we did go to the meal after. Now in these situations, I consult my book. When we got married, I recorded what everyone gave us. They get the same back on their day. It's a system that works for me. But anyways, I noticed what the cousin's brother gave us. So him, his wife and his two kids came to ours for the full day and meal. They gave us a lovely gift of... thirty quid! I must have suppressed that memory...

What do you do if you give somebody who marries before you a gift of €200, then they give you €250 when you get married?
    Do you/Did you return the €50? If you don't, you're a hypocrite.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What do you do if you give somebody who marries before you a gift of €200, then they give you €250 when you get married?
    Do you/Did you return the €50? If you don't, you're a hypocrite.

no he isn't, because he cant see into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,399 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm, there must be some stinges secretly delighted they only have to host 50 people max for their weddings...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hmm, there must be some stinges secretly delighted they only have to host 50 people max for their weddings...

why? it will mean less money for them. they will probably get cheap gifts rather than 100-200 in an envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

odyssey06 wrote: »

Perhaps the whole Covid situation will help Irish couples to see through the whole wedding industry foolishness, and realise that they don't need to spend that kind of money on a wedding just to show off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Mod: And on that, we'll move the thread back in the direction of Stingy Stories, and away from wedding gifts...

I think we went off track again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

pgj2015 wrote: »
    no he isn't, because he cant see into the future.

Why would he need to see into the future?
    If his philosophy is that you get what you give, my suggestion is exactly what he should do if he believes that. I doubt he did though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

A friend of mine was in SuperValu before rounding was introduced.

He bought the pick n mix cone of Lindt Sweets where you select a certain number of Lindt and it costs €X.98c .. I can't remember the exact price but 2c change was due and the machine didn't give it.

He asked the person attending the self service tills for his 2 c, she opened it up and gave him 5 c.

He bolted out the door.

Little did I know at the time, or the checkout girl, he squeezed in 3 sweets extra anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Thats just theft- not stinginess?
    If it was stinginess- she wouldn't have given away 30 grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Queue 10 pages of posts about the difference between theft,stinginess and frugality.

• Advertisement

the worst part is that the charrity had the money in the bank. why wasnt it handed over to the charity or being used . they said 30k is 15months of profit, so they had nearly 4 years worth stockpiled

Advertisement