Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

A lad I work with asked me for a lift home one night no big deal I work evenings and it’s cold out so I was happy enough to help out , left work and walked to my car only to find four people waiting , told me so and so says we can all get a lift with you tonight. They live in four different places, I have two kids so I had to remove a car seat which when installed properly takes a few minutes to remove, they stood around chatting and smoking waiting for me to do it , complained that I park so far away , asked me to stop in to a shop it took me 45 minutes to eventually get to my house which is 10 minutes from my job and arranged amongst themselves to get a lift from me for the week never actually asked me. So I did what any passive aggressive person does and I cycle to work now.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Oh absolutely it was a tax avoidance move, he wasn't buying him a house! I see your point re the timing of it alright, but to be honest, I don't think he will ever buy. Has it too easy at home, living rent free. Then again as others have said, that might be seen as stingey, or it could be just availing of the situation! :)

Could he not just move into what Is his house ?

KevRossi wrote: »
    She told me that between inheritance tax, doing the house up and renewing the car, she paid €145,000 - this is in 2006. She had some of the money saved, but still got the parents to sell some land to fund most of it. They only sold some of it, she still bitches these days that they had to take out an €80,000 mortgage to finance it all. I mean she got a very well equipped, newly done up, 3 bed house in a very decent part of Galway for the money. Most of us would give our left arms for that.

She has always lived at home, paying €50 a week to cover all bills when she was 35, so its not as if she was hard up on cash. Spoilt rotten from the day she was born.

We inherited a house in a nice estate in Laois , all in cost us 60000 , but I won’t have to work until I’m 88 to pay a mortgage , I wouldn’t dream of moaning about it considering most people my age (29) probably won’t be able to afford a house for another few years If at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It was a sarcastic qs :)

I addressed your point in my second last paragraph :)

It was a bit vague to be honest.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Section 117 of the Sucession Act effectively removes testamentary freedom to disinherit children unless financial provision was made in the form of an advancement during the lifetime of the parent such as an expensive education, gifts, etc. The Law Reform Commission are examining this matter.

I think it is better if children aren't entitled to anything from parents. people should make their own money and stop expecting money and property from their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

pgj2015 wrote: »
    It was a bit vague to be honest.

"If they leave them in their will. Absolutely no guarantees of that happening either."

I thought the point was pretty clear.

I'm obviously a stinge in my descriptive writing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Dognapper wrote: »
    Could he not just move into what Is his house ?

Suppose he could. I don't know really. To be honest I've lost sight of my original post at this stage ☺️

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

A lad I work with asked me for a lift home one night no big deal I work evenings and it’s cold out so I was happy enough to help out , left work and walked to my car only to find four people waiting , told me so and so says we can all get a lift with you tonight. They live in four different places, I have two kids so I had to remove a car seat which when installed properly takes a few minutes to remove, they stood around chatting and smoking waiting for me to do it , complained that I park so far away , asked me to stop in to a shop it took me 45 minutes to eventually get to my house which is 10 minutes from my job and arranged amongst themselves to get a lift from me for the week never actually asked me. So I did what any passive aggressive person does and I cycle to work now.

:D I like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So I did what any passive aggressive person does and I cycle to work now.

A passive aggressive person would drive off leaving them wondering where their lift went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

endacl wrote: »
    A passive aggressive person would drive off leaving them wondering where their lift went.

Burning rubber as well.

Go to the last 10 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I think it is better if children aren't entitled to anything from parents. people should make their own money and stop expecting money and property from their parents.

All very well saying that if your parents have no money, like mine!

My parents have money and property etc but I make my own money. I wouldnt care if I didnt inherit anything from them, it is their money to spend on themselves as far as im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I disagree. My folks have money and property, but I want to make my own way in the world.

It's more fun to earn what you have, then to have it given to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Who is stingy here?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who is stingy here?????

Anyone not telling a stinge storey.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My dog pulled one of his ligaments and needs surgery which is costing €1800. It's expensive, but luckily we as a family have the means. As I live at home and my parents have had quite a few big bills, I'm covering the bill.

I don't mind, it's pricey but I don't pay rent as I'm saving for an apartment, so it's small in comparison to renting. My younger brothers (early 20s) both have a few grand banked, and they haven't even offered €100 towards the bill. They didn't offer my parents, or myself when I said I would cover it. When they heard the bill amount, they said "That's expensive" and then silence.

Writing this, I'm not sure if I'm being stingy expecting a small token amount when I offered to cover the bill. Anyway its frustrating.

If you want them to pay towards it, ask them to pay towards it.
    Looking at it from the outside, you said you'd pay so you're paying. That's about right. If you want them to contribute €100 then ask them for €100. If you want them to split the bill equally then you need to ask them to split the bill equally. In the meantime, you said you'd pay and now you're paying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My dog pulled one of his ligaments and needs surgery which is costing €1800. It's expensive, but luckily we as a family have the means. As I live at home and my parents have had quite a few big bills, I'm covering the bill.

I don't mind, it's pricey but I don't pay rent as I'm saving for an apartment, so it's small in comparison to renting. My younger brothers (early 20s) both have a few grand banked, and they haven't even offered €100 towards the bill. They didn't offer my parents, or myself when I said I would cover it. When they heard the bill amount, they said "That's expensive" and then silence.

Writing this, I'm not sure if I'm being stingy expecting a small token amount when I offered to cover the bill. Anyway its frustrating.

I think oyu are the stinge.

Imagine staying with your parents and not even giving a token amount for rent.

Your dog, your bill!

I disagree. My folks have money and property, but I want to make my own way in the world.

It's more fun to earn what you have, then to have it given to you.

You won't refuse it when it is given to you. It's all very well saying you want to make your own way in the world when you're living off your parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seeing a hell of a lot of people packing rubbish into street bins and bins at shops...

Some to the extreme where they have packed everything so it will fit, probably weighs a ton....

I'd say the stats will show huge increase in it all.

Way back when I was setting up my market stall in a small village very early. I saw an old lady going from litter bin to litter bib, just putting a little in each. I think it was when the cost of collecting rubbish had just gone up?

Stinge and needful economy sometimes go hand in hand

• Advertisement

Three of us went on a work trip to the US. We were brought out to an asian restaurant that served huge portions. The three of us couldn't finish the meal, so without asking the restaurant packaged up the leftovers in doggie bags to bring with us. We were staying in a hotel and didn't have a fridge, and were getting expensed meals anyway, so we didn't really want the food but took it out of politeness.

One of the US guys invited us to watch a move in his house after the meal, so we headed back there. When we were leaving his place, waiting for the taxi, we still had the doggie bags with us. He sheepishly asked us if we were going to eat the food. We said no, we had no-where to keep it. He then asked if he could have it. We said sure. You should have seen his little face when we handed over three leftover, half eaten chinese meals. Like a kid at Christmas.

You never know the situations other folk are in. He may have been short of food etc

On the wedding topic..
    I was BM a few years ago.
    I'm a cousin to the bride so my house was a drop off for some of our mutual relatives presents in the run up to the wedding because they knew I'd see the couple.
    Our relations (couple in their 50s who would be very comfortable financially and the wife always has a new top to toe outfit for every family occasion I've seen her at) arrived to me with a wrapped box and a card. This couple were attending the full wedding BTW.
    She commented that the present was 'just a token gift' so I taped the card to the present figuring the card contained money and I wanted my cousin to know who the 'token gift' was from.
    She told me afterwards the card was simply that, a card, nothing else in the envelope and the 'token gift' was a €30 (she googled it!) homeware gift from a well known chain store.
    Same couple spent a fortune on booze that day too.
    I know people say that you shouldn't have an expectation of your gifts at your wedding but still...

That is worse than stinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is worse than stinge!

Agree 100%, totally classless to go googling the cost of wedding gifts you've received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

We ordered an Indian last night from our usual. Got a 1.25L bottle of coke that we noticed the level was a little high on. When we opened it, the “coke” was almost completely flat and was almost certainly an off-brand cola. We did like that takeaway but the trust is gone. What else are they scrimping on? And Indian takeaway isn’t exactly cheap. I feel oddly violated. Is the refilling process even sanitary? How utterly short-sighted of them. Total open contempt for their customers.

I will be ringing them later to let them know we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

We ordered an Indian last night from our usual. Got a 1.25L bottle of coke that we noticed the level was a little high on. When we opened it, the “coke” was almost completely flat and was almost certainly an off-brand cola. We did like that takeaway but the trust is gone. What else are they scrimping on? And Indian takeaway isn’t exactly cheap. I feel oddly violated. Is the refilling process even sanitary? How utterly short-sighted of them. Total open contempt for their customers.

I will be ringing them later to let them know we know.

Say nothing. Just go elsewhere. A bottle of coke can be bought cheaply in the wholesalers. Hungry fools are probably saving 20 Cents. And think of what else they might be compromising.
    Don’t tolerate being messed about. I had a hair cut booked last week. Small shop that I’ve gone to for years. I got there and the shop was packed. And surprise, surprise, no record of my booking. After being told that I could wait in the packed shop,I sat there for a couple of minutes and made an excuse and left. You have to think of what else is being scrimped on and how it might affect you.

Say nothing. Just go elsewhere. A bottle of coke can be bought cheaply in the wholesalers. Hungry fools are probably saving 20 Cents. And think of what else they might be compromising.
    Don’t tolerate being messed about. I had a hair cut booked last week. Small shop that I’ve gone to for years. I got there and the shop was packed. And surprise, surprise, no record of my booking. After being told that I could wait in the packed shop,I sat there for a couple of minutes and made an excuse and left. You have to think of what else is being scrimped on and how it might affect you.

I reported them to the FSAI instead because, yeah, what else is being scrimped on? If everything is above board there, they should be fine with a receiving a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Was the seal broke on the bottle before you opened it?
    I wouldn't be as worried about what is being scrimped on rather than what other practices they have in place if they are doing that sort of thing. Picking up pieces of food that fell on the floor and sending it out to customers rather than binning it for example?

Was the seal broke on the bottle before you opened it?
    I wouldn't be as worried about what is being scrimped on rather than what other practices they have in place if they are doing that sort of thing. Picking up pieces of food that fell on the floor and sending it out to customers rather than binning it for example?

Well, my husband opened it and he can’t remember. I feel like if I opened it, I might have noticed that it opened too easy, being noodle-armed. But with the added grip strength, I could see a man or strong woman not noticing.

Exactly right, it prompts SO many questions. It’s not just about one product or even scrimping. What else is going on there?

You know, I think I’m mostly grouchy because somebody messed with the Coca Cola. There’ll be no messing with the Coca Cola, the manna of soft drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd be very surprised if it was already opened Coke but alternative Coke (i.e. from other geographical markets) wouldn't surprise me.

Advertisement