Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it was already opened Coke but alternative Coke (i.e. from other geographical markets) wouldn't surprise me.

Nah, it’s Irish coke according to the label. It was tampered with. The flatness, the overfilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Nah, it’s Irish coke according to the label. It was tampered with. The flatness, the overfilling.

Or just a dodgy bottle. Not tampered with, overfilled by a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

a good few months ago i got a few bottles from a local chipper over the course of of weeks. they all tasted really flat . all seals intact just no fiz . pure bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, my husband opened it and he can’t remember. I feel like if I opened it, I might have noticed that it opened too easy, being noodle-armed. But with the added grip strength, I could see a man or strong woman not noticing.

Exactly right, it prompts SO many questions. It’s not just about one product or even scrimping. What else is going on there?

If he can’t remember if it was sealed or not then isn’t that the end of the matter? They bottle being unusually full or flat isn’t the take away’s fault. And you can’t remember the critical piece of information that would suggest someone tampered with it, but you’re suggesting they tampered with it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You're 100% confident of that, for some reason.

• Advertisement

Or just a dodgy bottle. Not tampered with, overfilled by a machine.

That’s possible but really unlikely. Overfilled bottles tend to not get past quality control. The odd one might but I really doubt it. I’ve known restaurants get in trouble for pulling shit down the years. And not that racist urban myth of Chinese restaurants serving dog. An Irish-run restaurant in my home town got in trouble for terrible hygiene standards and taking food off bussed plates and serving it to new customers. Restaurants do try to pull crap like this.

razorblunt wrote: »
    You're 100% confident of that, for some reason.

Well, you seemed very confident that it was another coke from another country, despite not being in possession of the bottle and apparently sure that I wouldn’t actually check that pretty basic thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

That’s possible but really unlikely. Overfilled bottles tend to not get past quality control. The odd one might but I really doubt it. I’ve known restaurants get in trouble for pulling shit down the years. And not that racist urban myth of Chinese restaurants serving dog. An Irish-run restaurant in my home town got in trouble for terrible hygiene standards and taking food off bussed plates and serving it to new customers. Restaurants do try to pull crap like this.

Well you've made up your mind on it. But they most likely didn't do a thing to that bottle.

Yeah but the seal is the actually important thing and you don’t know about that one way or the other. Without that you can’t say anything except don’t know what happened but you I got a flat and overfilled bottle of coke.

Very naughty to assume the takeaway is tampering with the bottles (and all the other suggestions that have been tagged on to the accusation). It’s a huge leap and totally unfounded as you don’t know one piece of information that would actually clear it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anything is possible, but I'd check to see if I was sold a second bottle with the same discrepancies before I'd say it was definitely intentional.

• Advertisement

Well you've made up your mind on it. But they most likely didn't do a thing to that bottle.

Well then they’ll have nothing to fear from a restaurant inspection. If I do nothing, then if they ARE pulling shit, it will continue. If it’s all on the level, they’ll be fine.

Molehill, you’re gonna be a mountain someday. And I’m gonna make it happen....

Yeah but the seal is the actually important thing and you don’t know about that one way or the other. Without that you can’t say anything except don’t know what happened but you I got a flat and overfilled bottle of coke.

Very naughty to assume the takeaway is tampering with the bottles (and all the other suggestions that have been tagged on to the accusation). It’s a huge leap and totally unfounded as you don’t know one piece of information that would actually clear it up.

I haven’t named them here. I reported the incident to the relevant authority and, like I said, if it’s just a mistake, they have nothing to fear.

I haven’t named them here. I reported the incident to the relevant authority and, like I said, if it’s just a mistake, they have nothing to fear.

OFB: Hello, authorities? Yes, i’d like to report my coke being flat and overfilled.

Authorities: Was the seal broken?

ODB: I don’t know about that but it was definitely Irish coke....

Authorities: Ok.... we’ll take it from here. Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

I’m glad you had the sense not to name the resultant. That would change it from a spurious story into a slanderous story.

OFB: Hello, authorities? Yes, i’d like to report my coke being flat and overfilled.

Authorities: Was the seal broken?

ODB: I don’t know about that but it was definitely Irish coke....

Authorities: Ok.... we’ll take it from here. Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

I’m glad you had the sense not to name the resultant. That would change it from a spurious story into a slanderous story.

Ah, the ball is already rolling so scoff all you like. I’ve already got a response and was not dismissed. So you lose yourself in your reverie there. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

its not that dificult to open a bottle without breaking the seal

its not that dificult to open a bottle without breaking the seal

Yup, I’ve done that before. It was an accident in my case but yes, it can be done. Soft drink bottles, milk bottles etc.

Yup, I’ve done that before. It was an accident in my case but yes, it can be done. Soft drink bottles, milk bottles etc.

i have done it a few times on purpose . the end of a fork or knife is good

I was at a street market in Thailand, having arrived with an almost empty suitcase thinking I could buy some suitable stuff for the climate locally. I was looking at some cargo shorts that seemed good quality with loads of pockets so asked the guy 'how much?' Let's pretend he said 100. I offered him 140 for two pairs. He didn't seem too happy about it, but accepted straight away. I might have got them cheaper, but it was hot as balls and the match was starting in a half hour. I still have the shorts too! Think they worked out around €7 each. One button has come off one pair but eleven years later they're otherwise fine.

Jesus friggin' Christ you're still wearing the same pair of shorts after eleven years? That's some outstanding stinge right there my friend!

Actually you should meet my brother. Not one word of a lie the tight fisted git has had the same shirt for 38 years. The fire brigade will have to cut him out of it.

Ah, the ball is already rolling so scoff all you like. I’ve already got a response and was not dismissed. So you lose yourself in your reverie there. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Meanwhile, back on the real world, you don’t know it was tampered with because you don’t know if there was anything wrong with the seal. You’re just saying it was tampered with without the one bit of evidence that would suggest it was tampered with.

So... scoff

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, back on the real world, you don’t know it was tampered with because you don’t know if there was anything wrong with the seal. You’re just saying it was tampered with without the one bit of evidence that would suggest it was tampered with.

So... scoff

Then, like I said, the restaurant has nothing to worry about if they are inspected. If it was a one-off and all their other stock shows no signs of tampering, it can be assumed it was a bum bottle that snuck through QC. If the stock is inspected and tampering discovered, then I’ve done people a favour. Any restaurant should be able to withstand a spot inspection. If they can’t, they shouldn’t be in business. If I’m right, it’s not okay for that to happen. It’s potentially unsanitary for starters. It could point to other unsanitary practices. Why should I not escalate this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Odelay

Order another one and send it off to Coca-Cola, or just report the issue and they will send someone in to order one them selves. Their product is very consistent, they can analyse the packaging and contents to see if it is any different. They take this stuff extremely seriously. If they find a problem, they will conduct a in depth investigation and if there is a problem, the takeaway will have serious problems. Don't mess with Coca-Cola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Can we move on from the saga over flat coke please.

Odelay wrote: »
    Order another one and send it off to Coca-Cola, or just report the issue and they will send someone in to order one them selves. Their product is very consistent, they can analyse the packaging and contents to see if it is any different. They take this stuff extremely seriously. If they find a problem, they will conduct a in depth investigation and if there is a problem, the takeaway will have serious problems. Don't mess with Coca-Cola.

Absolutely. I’ve worked in pharma QC and have some knowledge of food QC. It is really unlikely for a defective bottle to get through. Never say never, but it much more likely to be a takeaway cutting corners. As somebody who is sometimes immunocompromised because of different medications I’m on, getting unsanitary food or beverages could make me really sick or even kill me and I’m far from alone there. It’s actually a pretty big deal. The takeaway might just be cheap-skating on this one thing (if they are) but the trust has been eroded. We don’t complain enough about stuff in this country when we should. A very “Ah, sure it’s grand” attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Jesus friggin' Christ you're still wearing the same pair of shorts after eleven years? That's some outstanding stinge right there my friend!

I feel like I should clarify that I wash them - that I haven't been wearing them for eleven years solid! :D

They get worn 3/4 times a year in the hottest part of the summer (if there is one).

We ordered an Indian last night from our usual. Got a 1.25L bottle of coke that we noticed the level was a little high on. When we opened it, the “coke” was almost completely flat and was almost certainly an off-brand cola.

Jebus - coke isn't very high margin but why would you bother? Buy it, refrigerate it, sell it. By the time you've found an intact looking bottle, (hopefully) washed it, bought a cheaper cola, and filled the old coke bottle, you've probably spent more time/resources on it than you've saved.

...Why should I not escalate this?

Why should you not escalate it? Humm... the complete lack of evidence they did anything wrong, they would be w main reason.

If you knew the seal was tampered with then there would be a case to answer. I’m loathe to use the term “Karen”...

Why should you not escalate it? Humm... the complete lack of evidence they did anything wrong, they would be w main reason.

If you knew the seal was tampered with then there would be a case to answer. I’m loathe to use the term “Karen”...

You just did. Use the term and own using it, or don’t use it.

I’m being taken seriously on this and if I’m right about it, it’s actually a pretty worrying thing to be tampering with, raising questions. As somebody who is taking medication that seriously affects my blood and therefore immune system currently, getting something that could be tampered with like this is worrying. But LOL, who cares about food-poisoning, unsanitary conditions etc. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. Sure, it’s grand.
    Jebus - coke isn't very high margin but why would you bother? Buy it, refrigerate it, sell it. By the time you've found an intact looking bottle, (hopefully) washed it, bought a cheaper cola, and filled the old coke bottle, you've probably spent more time/resources on it than you've saved.

I know, it’s very short-sighted! But I’ve seen crazy acts of cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face in my life. People can be incredibly blinkered when it comes to saving money.

You just did. Use the term and own using it, or don’t use it.

You called the authorities because your coke was over-filled and under-fizzy. And you make a pretty serious allegation based on no evidence except the info above.

When the shoe fits...

You called the authorities because your coke was over-filled and under-fizzy. And you make a pretty serious allegation based on no evidence except the info above.

When the shoe fits...

And it’s being taken seriously. Is everyone involved a Karen? (a sexist term, by the way)

No evidence... oh apart from the evidence outlined. But apart from that... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

And it’s being taken seriously. Is everyone involved a Karen? (a sexist term, by the way)

No evidence... oh apart from the evidence outlined. But apart from that... :D
    The evidence outlined is that you felt the bottle was over full, and that it was not fizzy enough for you. And because of that you have called the health and safety authorities on a premises due to your wildly outlandish conclusions.

You might say that the chinese has nothing to worry about if they are ok, but have you considered that you are wasting the time of a government agency because of a flat bottle of Coke, which may, or may not have been tampered with?

Advertisement