Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,780 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    during the big freeze of 2010, a mate on nearly one hundred thousand a year, switched off the fridge freezer and put the stuff that was in the fridge in the shed and put the stuff that was in the freezer, in the snow!

He is never going to hear the end of it!

Wish I'd thought of that at the time - perfect opportunity to defrost the freezer.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

American cousins came to visit a while back. They rented a holiday cottage, but ate mostly at my house, and helped themselves to fruit an veg from my garden. On their last night they asked me out to dinner to say thanks. It was dinner, just that. No drink, no starter, no dessert, just the main course and a glass of tap water. The "special" was pointed out to me on the menu, I got the hint. Worst part, they're around again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

The family of an old friend of mine used to take the milk left at the end of bowls of cereal and pour it back into the carton. Needless to say I stopped having tea at their house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Idbatterim wrote: »
    during the big freeze of 2010, a mate on nearly one hundred thousand a year, switched off the fridge freezer and put the stuff that was in the fridge in the shed and put the stuff that was in the freezer, in the snow!

He is never going to hear the end of it!

Veering off topic for a second, but during that winter, I asked myself why I was putting stuff in the freezer.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

madmaggie wrote: »
    Veering off topic for a second, but during that winter, I asked myself why I was putting stuff in the freezer.:confused:
    Because when the thaw comes, you would like to have food that would be edible. Freezers are -18 degrees, the snow might have been just below freezing. I don' thing there was much of a cost saving, as the energy output from the fridge would go towards heating the property.

Of course, it might make sense to have the fridge / freezer in a non-heated space anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The family of an old friend of mine used to take the milk left at the end of bowls of cereal and pour it back into the carton. Needless to say I stopped having tea at their house!

Hmmm. The odd time I use the leftover milk from my daughters brekkie in my morning cuppa, but I'd never put it back in the carton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

falan wrote: »
    Kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who supposedly got a LOT of money from an accident but has never said a word about it which is cool...But just to go on and on and on about how they have no money to pay the bills or barely enough to eat, while at the same time buying very expensive collectors items, new car, house done up, laptops, 2 xboxes in one day, you name it, they got it..
    The final straw for me was when he asked me to drive a 60 mile round trip to buy a hoover. At the time i was only working part time so i genuinely had hardly any money trying to keep a car on the road and pay rent. I asked him for something towards petrol and he said no cos he was broke. (Might i add that i never ask for petrol but that week i was skint)...

Got to the electric shop and he bought the most expensive hoover in there for 500 euro. He opened his wallet and it was packed with 50s, must have been a few grand in there at least...
    Needless to say he never got a lift off me anywhere again, id always have an excuse and we're not really friends anymore....
    That was the straw? That?

Wow. Why can't I have friends like you?

Too much honour, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

My friend's aunt used to boil the kettle to make a cup of tea - then saved the remainder of the boiling water in a flask so she didn't have to heat it up again.

My father would go through the wall calendar at the end of the year, renumbering the days so it would work for the next year. His world record was three years of re-use of the one calendar before we flung it out on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

American cousins came to visit a while back. They rented a holiday cottage, but ate mostly at my house, and helped themselves to fruit an veg from my garden. On their last night they asked me out to dinner to say thanks. It was dinner, just that. No drink, no starter, no dessert, just the main course and a glass of tap water. The "special" was pointed out to me on the menu, I got the hint. Worst part, they're around again this year.

Don't be such a push over this year then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

That's disgusting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used to live in an apartment, and the lights in the lift were the same standard halogen lights as in most of the rooms in the apartments. Some stinge would regularly steal them from the elevator and people had to use it in the dark.. they are not even expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,780 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

miezekatze wrote: »
    I used to live in an apartment, and the lights in the lift were the same standard halogen lights as in most of the rooms in the apartments. Some stinge would regularly steal them from the elevator and people had to use it in the dark.. they are not even expensive.

Exactly why a lot of elevator and publically-accessible light fittings are either locked tight or have a weird fitting.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Stingiest american ever?
    http://www.accountingweb.com/article/extreme-cheapskate-cpa-ny-living-cheap/220073
    Occasionally she'll pay cash for food items, but she approaches vendors with a handful of coins that equal much less than the actual price and asks vendors if they'll settle for a smaller amount. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, she moves on.
    Personal items like shampoo, toothpaste, and feminine hygiene products come mostly in the form of free samples, which she avidly pursues. Sometimes she participates in clinical trials and product testing to get items - including five years' worth of free birth control. Other times she takes online surveys in exchange for gift cards.

What about toilet paper? She refuses to buy anything that's going to be thrown away. Instead, she opts for the old soap and water routine. On TV, she actually sat on the toilet to give a demonstration of how it's done.

Hashimoto has never purchased furniture, preferring to do her "shopping" on the streets. She sleeps on used yoga mats, which she said are very comfortable. On the show, she invited her visitors to sit on her bed to test the comfort but they refused, rudely suggesting it was probably filthy and might have bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^ Christ I remember watching her on Extreme Cheapskates. She cooked dumpster food for an old college friend and his girlfriend.

When they found out their reaction was priceless. I'm sorry but she is one manky b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What does she do with her money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ongarite wrote: »
    Sometimes she participates in clinical trials and product testing to get items - including five years' worth of free birth control.

Please God let them have been placebos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Frynge wrote: »
    Myself and the wife often stay in a friends house and visa versa But one thing that drives me demented is that she will not put bulbs in the bedside lamps of her spare room. 5 bulbs ive put into the lamp since xmas and she keeps taking them out when needed and never replaces them. Im not sure if it is stinge or not but it really annoys me.

Jaysus where do you buy your bulbs. 5 in 4 months? Madness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rawn wrote: »
    If I had just bought them and they were expensive power saving ones damn right I would too! If they were Dealz or Euroshop ones then it's definitely stingey.
    Dealz do energy saving LED bulbs for €1.49

all adds up ;)
    Jaysus where do you buy your bulbs. 5 in 4 months? Madness.
    Pro Tip
    I can remember staying in an hotel and they had cable tied the bulbs to the lamp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My father would go through the wall calendar at the end of the year, renumbering the days so it would work for the next year. His world record was three years of re-use of the one calendar before we flung it out on him.
    Amateurs :rolleyes:

Just hold on to other people's old calendars, the days line up again every 28 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

I wouldn't view the above as on a par with people e.g. magically "disappearing" when it's their round.
    The most apt phrase I've heard to describe such individuals is "counter shy" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Please God let them have been placebos...

I hope not, I would pity the kid she has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

I do a fast food delivery shift at the weekend. There's a really posh estate with massive detached houses in portmarnock called drimnigh wood with a guy that orders regularly. Never tips and once waited for his 5 cent change from me. Stiiiiingey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

stuboy01 wrote: »
    I do a fast food delivery shift at the weekend. There's a really posh estate with massive detached houses in portmarnock called drimnigh wood with a guy that orders regularly. Never tips and once waited for his 5 cent change from me. Stiiiiingey

Take your sweet time driving to his house from now on. And maybe bang his wife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I think I know that lad, unreal ... he never has "any cash on" ...

Fork in his sugarbowl too ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I hope they enjoy their stay in the hotel down the road!
    Or for the love of God order what you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

On the american theme:
    one of our distant american cousins was visiting Ireland a few years back.
    We were all (entire extended family) on hols in Donegal. I want to stress that I had never met this person before meeting her 30 minutes earlier in the town, her visit was arranged through my uncle. My extended family (Uncle, brothers' families and parents) were going into a pub and I said that my family were going to grab lunch and follow them in 30 mins later. she announced that she would come with my family, again I had never spoken to this girl. anyway we had lunch, she barely spoke and made no attempt to converse and then just didn't offer to pay! at all.
    In fact she never put her hand in her pocket in the three days we were there. AND, I later found out her folks are effing loaded and they had funded her one month tour of Europe!
    Then again, not much to fund seeing as she refused to pay for anything.
    Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Take your sweet time driving to his house from now on. And maybe bang his wife?

If she is like him, bring some vasaline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I know a person who recycles her tea bags so she can use them over and over again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's not stingy. Why would you expect a tip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's not stingy. Why would you expect a tip?

And this my good people is the comment that sends the thread into a downward spiral for some 3+ pages

Advertisement