Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cormac... wrote: »
    And this my good people is the comment that sends the thread into a downward spiral for some 3+ pages
    Hey! I'm just pointing out - not tipping does not equate stinginess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

snubbleste wrote: »

Here it does (Canada). They expect 20% for alright service. Was at a restaurant the other day with a friend and the waiter just assumed her $5 change was his tip and didn't return to the table. She called him out on it; she was planning on leaving a tip but hated the assumption that she was giving him the entirety of her change.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

True but most people would at least leave the 5 cent change, instead of waiting to get it back. That's fairly scabby.

scdublin wrote: »
    True but most people would at least leave the 5 cent change, instead of waiting to get it back. That's fairly scabby.
    I was in Tesco. They would'nt let me off 5c. That does not mean they are scabby or stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I was in Tesco. They would'nt let me off 5c. That does not mean they are scabby or stingy.
    Come on, that's a different context.

If you shared a meal and a bill with a friend, would you ask them for that last 5c to split it completely evenly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I saw a lad I know from Cavan following a bus eireann for the free wifi :-)

osarusan wrote: »
    Come on, that's a different context.
    If you shared a meal and a bill with a friend, would you ask them for that last 5c to split it completely evenly?
    Because delivering takeaway is not business. It's friend to friend, a different context. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Justify it all you want but waiting on 5c from a delivery guy is pure stingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That I'll agree with, but when I've already paid E2 or E3 for my food to be delivered I don't feel stingy about not giving the driver more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

I was in a particular shop in Waterford where they have one of the vending machines for phone credit. I got my credit and saw €2 in the reject tray. I picked it up and asked a stingy auld cow behind the counter if she had a poor box. She did and took the €2 off me and in the process slipped her hand into the till (I watch everything) and pulled out a 20c piece and put the €2 in the till. She was so fast that she'd put Keith Barry to shame. I called shenanigans straight away. She nearly died from embarrassment when I let everyone in the shop know what she did. She immediately took €2 out of the till and into the poor box. I take it she was the owner and hence I haven't been back there since.

• Advertisement

It's friend to friend, a different context. :rolleyes:
    I'm not saying it was the same thing (although it wasn't clear and could have easily come across that way). Two friends splitting a bill is different from a fast-food delivery, but a fast-food delivery is also different from a purchase at Tesco.

I'm asking - would you insist that a friend paid up the last 5c of a split bill? It's more of a 'where do you see the line' question.

You have the choice to just say 'forget it about it' in a way that Tesco do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

One customer in my job comes in for every match but sits there on a glass of Smithwicks for the entire game, he reckons our homemade pizza and pint for a tenner is a rip off too.

Normally I'd never bother waiting for 5 cent change but a few weeks back we ordered take out and there was a 3 euro delivery charge. When the driver got here he rang me from outside asking me to come out, I assumed that he was having trouble finding the house but it turned out that he was outside sitting in his car and wanted me to come to him so he didn't have to walk the six feet or so to my front door. He actually handed me the order through the open driver's window and when I handed him 18 euro for a 17.95 bill I waited for the change.

Normally I'd never bother waiting for 5 cent change but a few weeks back we ordered take out and there was a 3 euro delivery charge. When the driver got here he rang me from outside asking me to come out, I assumed that he was having trouble finding the house but it turned out that he was outside sitting in his car and wanted me to come to him so he didn't have to walk the six feet or so to my front door. He actually handed me the order through the open driver's window and when I handed him 18 euro for a 17.95 bill I waited for the change.

Do you live in a massive detached house in Drimnagh Wood in Portmarnock?

No just a normal house in a normal estate with a normal size drive way. The guy was just a lazy ass and it was enough that we decided not to bother getting food from the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Basically every delivery driver does that where I live in Cork city. We're the very last house in a cul de sac. I don't understand what the problem is. I'll actually tip them if they save me having to go outside in my bare feet or socks, but I'd definitely wait for 5c if they didn't ring the doorbell. It would take them about one third of a kilo joule of energy like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

One customer in my job comes in for every match but sits there on a glass of Smithwicks for the entire game, he reckons our homemade pizza and pint for a tenner is a rip off too.

You're gonna have to point out which part of this is stingey, cos I don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,780 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I saw a lad I know from Cavan following a bus eireann for the free wifi :-)

Hah, I heard of a bloke from Kerry who'd cycle behind the taxis rather than the buses, so he could save more money.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

rawn wrote: »
    You're gonna have to point out which part of this is stingey, cos I don't see it.

My guess is he is someone that will go into the pub for the whole day to watch the football (BT, setanta and sky) and only buy one drink for the whole day

Hococop wrote: »
    My guess is he is someone that will go into the pub for the whole day to watch the football (BT, setanta and sky) and only buy one drink for the whole day

I still fail to see the stinge! Is he supposed to drink more than he wants to so he's not being cheap? Stinge would be drinking tap water all day to watch the match IMO. Not trying to derail the thread, just didn't see the stinge at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I still fail to see the stinge! Is he supposed to drink more than he wants to so he's not being cheap? Stinge would be drinking tap water all day to watch the match IMO. Not trying to derail the thread, just didn't see the stinge at all.

Is he on Anti-Biotics or something? He can still have a couple anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

More than likely if given the chance he would but this prevents the barman from kicking him out as he is now a paying customer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hococop wrote: »
    More than likely if given the chance he would but this prevents the barman from kicking him out as he is now a paying customer,
    Or he could be driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A few years ago (10 now jaysus). I was going out with this secondary school teacher form Tipp. We both worked in the same town in a different county. She had a car but I didnt to begin with as I was still training and on crap wages- cldnt afford it but this was only for a 3 month period until I did buy a car.

Anyway, she would go back to Tipp every weekend but I rarely went home to Cork- just couldnt face the bus journeys.

One such weekend I had to go home for something a rather and she said I could jump in with her and jump out in a different town as she was passing through- it would save about 50mins of hell with Bus Eireann.

No problem. Got to said town and as she passed the bus station we had come to a stop at some red lights- I just jumped out.

That Monday night- she was around and she asked me for 5Euro toward petrol. It was the one and only time I had ever been in her car.

Now I am not stingy but she was my fecking g/friend and the amount of drinks I had bought her when out....:mad:

I gave her the 5Euro and she was promptly dumped very soon after that.

My friends mother passed away. He invited a good few of his friends to the funeral and the afters. The afters were ina local pub. The father had the upstairs booked for meals and a free bar, we stayed downstairs but our friends father came down and thanked us for coming and invited us up for food and drinks. We all had a few drinks then had a whiparound, giving as much as we would have paid for the drinks anyways, to give to our friends father as we left. One friend had drank had bout 5 drinks of vodka and coke that i saw (everyone else stuck to beer) and when we had the whiparound i noticed she only gave a tenner. I discreetly told her that 5 vodkas cost more than a tenner and she just mumbled something along the lines of "well he's paying the bar tab anyways isn't he". I was flabbergasted at the cheek of her, she has the best paying job out of the lot of us and she could have stuck to beer or cider like everyone else, which she does drink, instead of taking advantage of the poor widowers generosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

My friends mother passed away. He invited a good few of his friends to the funeral and the afters. The afters were ina local pub. The father had the upstairs booked for meals and a free bar, we stayed downstairs but our friends father came down and thanked us for coming and invited us up for food and drinks. We all had a few drinks then had a whiparound, giving as much as we would have paid for the drinks anyways, to give to our friends father as we left. One friend had drank had bout 5 drinks of vodka and coke that i saw (everyone else stuck to beer) and when we had the whiparound i noticed she only gave a tenner. I discreetly told her that 5 vodkas cost more than a tenner and she just mumbled something along the lines of "well he's paying the bar tab anyways isn't he". I was flabbergasted at the cheek of her, she has the best paying job out of the lot of us and she could have stuck to beer or cider like everyone else, which she does drink, instead of taking advantage of the poor widowers generosity.

I would have been raging, that is beyond rude - did you say anything else to her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was flabbergasted at the cheek of her, she has the best paying job out of the lot of us and she could have stuck to beer or cider like everyone else, which she does drink, instead of taking advantage of the poor widowers generosity.

I'd be far too awkward to take advantage of a free bar at a funeral tbh, she sounds like a heartless b*tch.

I would have been raging, that is beyond rude - did you say anything else to her?

I left it at that, just didn't feel it was the time or the place to cause a scene! And the widower is by no means flush, and I'm sure the cost of the funeral, meals and bar tab were huge as it is. Absolute stingebag, she was never a close friend of mine anyways but after that i can't look at her the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Free bar at a funeral....is that a thing? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Free bar at a funeral....is that a thing? ?

Actually yes - is that a thing?

And is this weird (its not a stinge story, i'm just asking). I had two male tenants, one was around ten years younger than us and a total pain in the ****. He was always 'getting confused' about paying his rent, 'not realising' he was expected to contribute to bills etc, I stopped leaving my handbag in the living room after a couple of times I seemed to have less money than I'd thought. I knew his equally-bad-with-money mother so I had agreed to let him move in sans deposit (lesson learned!).

Anyway, he was living with us a couple of months when his uncle died of cancer. Very sad, we passed on condolences and he disappeared off to another county for a few days. When he returned, obviously blue he was telling us all about it, we were nodding along when he produces an envelope and asks us to make a donation, ten or twenty was the norm. I was so thrown i just said "of course" and handed over a ten or twenty (can't remember) and older flatmate said "its for cancer research, is it? i'll throw in something". Anyway, it turned out to be for the family. We paid over the money but I thought it was weird, I'd certainly never come across it before but maybe that's just depending on where you're from.

Is that normal? Collecting from people who have never met and never will meet the family? I felt sorry for them and am aware I could be sounding like a complete b!tch here but the man died after being ill, it's not like when the neighbours ran a local collection for the family whose house burned down.

Advertisement