Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

KatGurl... you were done up like a kipper. I'd say a lot of cancer research was done with your donation alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Actually this my own little dirty little secret...

Living in England, I pay council tax and water rates (yes you heard me- water rates and I do not have a problem with it strangely enough and no my world did not collapse around me)....but anyway..

A few years back myself and wife got an horrendously large bill around the £500.00 quarter mark. Cldnt understand it as we had been away in Asia for 4 weeks during that time- we since installed....wait for it....a water meter...:eek: to watch our consumption. Works a treat..

We went on a huge water reduction drive...less time in shower, less dishwasher, etc etc you get the picture. My little contribution was this-

In addition to weeing in the shower while brushing my teeth and the run of the mill in the back garden bushes........I stopped weeing in the toilet...:D

I would pee in pint glass in the kitchen and then rinse it down the sink. Used far less water. My missus has no idea that I have been this for years now- only a matter of time before I am caught I guess. Although I am a little surprised that she has not noticed that I basically never use the toilet...

Water bills came way down...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Living in England, I pay council tax and water rates (yes you heard me- water rates and I do not have a problem with it strangely enough and no my world did not collapse around me)....but anyway..

A few years back myself and wife got an horrendously large bill around the £500.00 quarter mark. Cldnt understand it as we had been away in Asia for 4 weeks during that time- we since installed....wait for it....a water meter...:eek: to watch our consumption. Works a treat..

We went on a huge water reduction drive...less time in shower, less dishwasher, etc etc you get the picture. My little contribution was this-

In addition to weeing in the shower while brushing my teeth and the run of the mill in the back garden bushes........I stopped weeing in the toilet...:D

I would pee in pint glass in the kitchen and then rinse it down the sink. Used far less water. My missus has no idea that I have been this for years now- only a matter of time before I am caught I guess. Although I am a little surprised that she has not noticed that I basically never use the toilet...

The water conservers motto is, 'If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down'. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

That's horrendous. Please stop.

That's horrendous. Please stop.

LMOH...I can't....I'm addicted. Yes- I totally agree- it's terrible.

In fact I am so used to it now, I stayed in a hotel recently on my own and continued to pee in the sink just out of sheer habit....Jaysus I sound like I need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

KatGurl... you were done up like a kipper. I'd say a lot of cancer research was done with your donation alright.

no they didn't say it was for cancer research, he said it was for the family. I thought it was weird; possibly one thing collecting at a funeral (especially if someone died in unexpected circumstances) but to go collecting from people entirely unconnected for someone who passed away after an illness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

LMOH...I can't....I'm addicted. Yes- I totally agree- it's terrible.

In fact I am so used to it now, I stayed in a hotel recently on my own and continued to pee in the sink just out of sheer habit....Jaysus I sound like I need help.

i shudder to think what sort of house guest you are

Katgurl wrote: »

I have drawn the line there- jesus I have some respect- what do you take me for...:D

Okay, I have decided to review my peeing policy before it is mentioned in divorce papers.

It is clearly not acceptable and I will now vow to stop from this moment onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Katgurl wrote: »

Ah but he's not paying for the water in someone else's house :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I live in a big house with 7 other people. It's had quite the footfall of people through it over the years, as it's the ideal place to find your feet in a new city.

Last week a couple who lived in one of the rooms moved out. He was well known for being a stingy b*stard. Two days after they left one of the guys was on a local buy and sell site and spotted a load of random items from the house. Now it didn't actually belong to any of us, but it also wasn't his to take and sell. He didn't even ask if it was ok with the rest of us.

Stingy b*stard.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

I live in a big house with 7 other people. It's had quite the footfall of people through it over the years, as it's the ideal place to find your feet in a new city.

Last week a couple who lived in one of the rooms moved out. He was well known for being a stingy b*stard. Two days after they left one of the guys was on a local buy and sell site and spotted a load of random items from the house. Now it didn't actually belong to any of us, but it also wasn't his to take and sell. He didn't even ask if it was ok with the rest of us.

Stingy b*stard.:mad:

That's not being stingy. That's theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I thought I was bad sh*tting in the sink but you sir are disgusting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Arrange to meet him (obviously you don't let him know it's you) to buy it all then punch him in the face, take it all back and run away very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dorethy

A few weeks ago I rushed into the supermarket, euro coin in hand, obviously heading for a trolley.
    A man standing at the head of the aisle, brandishing a trolley, (obviously waiting for a sucker), stopped me in my tracks and offered me his trolley and put his hand out for the coin.
    Of course, I handed it over with thanks, thinking I'd been saved the few steps. When it came to retrieve my deposit, there was no coin in the slot.

Was especially miffed as he actually grinned at me, and while I don't know him, I see him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dorethy wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I rushed into the supermarket, euro coin in hand, obviously heading for a trolley.
    A man standing at the head of the aisle, brandishing a trolley, (obviously waiting for a sucker), stopped me in my tracks and offered me his trolley and put his hand out for the coin.
    Of course, I handed it over with thanks, thinking I'd been saved the few steps. When it came to retrieve my deposit, there was no coin in the slot.

Was especially miffed as he actually grinned at me, and while I don't know him, I see him around.

Total slimeball. When I happen on a trolley with a busted coin slot I make a point of handing it over to someone else for free when I've finished with it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Remind me to stick on shorts if I'm ever at a session in your place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

abff wrote: »
    That's not being stingy. That's theft.

That's what I reckoned- but it was random bric and brac left by people over the years (jumper cables for a car for example) that none of us own or have any use for.

Not sure if it counts as stealing if the stuff doesn't actually have an owner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Couple of months ago was visiting relations. We were having sandwiches in the kitchen, a little fire of a couple of coals in the fireplace throwing out a bit of heat.
    "we should move into the sitting room" says he, before producing a biscuit tin, shovels the few bits of coal into it, and brings the fire with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Couple of months ago was visiting relations. We were having sandwiches in the kitchen, a little fire of a couple of coals in the fireplace throwing out a bit of heat.
    "we should move into the sitting room" says he, before producing a biscuit tin, shovels the few bits of coal into it, and brings the fire with him.

There's a big difference between being stingy and being frugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

My granny used to do that all the time, when she knew the room with the fire in wasn't being used again that night. It makes getting another fire going dead easy. I never really thought anything unusual of it, tbh.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A friend of my father used to park his Peugeot 404 on a hill so he could jump start it when he came back. He got three cars out of the same battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just heard a great story about a real stinge getting her comeuppance.

The mother of a friend of mine is an epic stinge. She never buys mustard, mayo, vinegar or ketchup for the house. She steals the sachets from any restaurant/pub/cafe that happens to be in. And I don't mean the odd one here or there, I mean, entire handfuls from the surrounding tables, as well as her own. She has bad habit of grabbing a bunch of them from tables as she is leaving. She puts them into the coat pocket or handbag of the person in front of her, as she won't risk being seen putting them into her own handbag. My friend had a coat utterly ruined, when she threw her keys into her coat pocket and discovered a stash of her mothers mayonaise packets that she didn't know was there. They all burst. The stains came out when the coat was dry cleaned, but the grease mark never did. She was livid. They've tried telling the Ma to knock it off, but she won't listen.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when her Ma was out for drinks with some friends. Unbeknown to her, one of her group had tossed some vinegar & ketchup packets into the Ma's handbag. They were all staying over in a hotel and the friend wanted some extra condiments for the chips that they were bringing up to their rooms. The Ma had no idea they were there, threw something heavy or sharp into her handbag and the vinegar sachets all burst, all over her 295 euro beige suede Coach handbag. The stains never really came out, and what is even better, neither did the smell.

That is what they call stinge karma my friends. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Free bar at a funeral....is that a thing? ?

It's the only funeral I've been to that had a free bar. No idea why he chose to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just heard a great story about a real stinge getting her comeuppance.

The mother of a friend of mine is an epic stinge. She never buys mustard, mayo, vinegar or ketchup for the house. She steals the sachets from any restaurant/pub/cafe that happens to be in. And I don't mean the odd one here or there, I mean, entire handfuls from the surrounding tables, as well as her own. She has bad habit of grabbing a bunch of them from tables as she is leaving. She puts them into the coat pocket or handbag of the person in front of her, as she won't risk being seen putting them into her own handbag. My friend had a coat utterly ruined, when she threw her keys into her coat pocket and discovered a stash of her mothers mayonaise packets that she didn't know was there. They all burst. The stains came out when the coat was dry cleaned, but the grease mark never did. She was livid. They've tried telling the Ma to knock it off, but she won't listen.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when her Ma was out for drinks with some friends. Unbeknown to her, one of her group had tossed some vinegar & ketchup packets into the Ma's handbag. They were all staying over in a hotel and the friend wanted some extra condiments for the chips that they were bringing up to their rooms. The Ma had no idea they were there, threw something heavy or sharp into her handbag and the vinegar sachets all burst, all over her 295 euro beige suede Coach handbag. The stains never really came out, and what is even better, neither did the smell.

That is what they call stinge karma my friends. :D

Like I would never spend that much on a bag, but would have no problem paying 1.75 for ketchup.... people are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I saw a lad I know from Cavan following a bus eireann for the free wifi :-)

We were stuck in the traffic the other day and I noticed the coach beside us had free wifi so the kids and I jumped on it until the traffic started to move again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Meanest thing I ever heard tell of: a famously tight-arsed and tight-lipped man used to travel abroad sometimes and bring back a toy each for his two kids. And he used to charge them for the toys, out of their moneyboxes.

This is a true story. The kids turned out a bit tight as well, and is it any wonder? Stingy with affection as well as with cash.

It wasn't me, but someone I used to know. I'm still horrified when I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

We have a notoriously stingy neighbor living near my mum's house. She is retired now from a good job and has a nice home so I'm sure she's not to short of money but seems awfully proud of being a spend thrift. A few years ago she called one day when I was having a bath and a few days later when again when I had just got out of the bath and she greeted this news with open mouthed wonder and a "isn't it well for you that can afford a bath again" and then informed me she'd worked out that on some electricity plans a bath could cost you 1.17... I'm sure she's accounted for water charges by now. Anyway ever since if I see her she comments on the time I lost the run of myself and had two baths within the space of a week as if she'd found me scuba diving in caviar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

True story this. There was an open day at my (now former) workplace. I wondered why neighbours suddenly became so interested in hairdryers assembly. She raced through the factory to get to the staff canteen to load up the handbag and pockets with free grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

We have a notoriously stingy neighbor living near my mum's house. She is retired now from a good job and has a nice home so I'm sure she's not to short of money but seems awfully proud of being a spend thrift. A few years ago she called one day when I was having a bath and a few days later when again when I had just got out of the bath and she greeted this news with open mouthed wonder and a "isn't it well for you that can afford a bath again" and then informed me she'd worked out that on some electricity plans a bath could cost you 1.17... I'm sure she's accounted for water charges by now. Anyway ever since if I see her she comments on the time I lost the run of myself and had two baths within the space of a week as if she'd found me scuba diving in caviar.

Lol laughed way too hard at that line. They do say that people with money are the best at saving money. guess this kinda proves that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A spendthrift is actually the opposite of a stingy person. In fact it normally means wasteful and irresponsible spending. I've never thought about it before but I can see now how it might be interpreted otherwise.

Advertisement