Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Your children might not be happy, if you don't leave anything behind for them ;)

They can feck right off if they're not content in knowing that I enjoyed my life. I will not be a countdown savings scheme for anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Mark would be the type of lad who wouldn't pay into a round at the start of a night in a pub, instead would wait until everyone got into the nightclub and he would get a round of whatever was on special, thus saving himself a few quid. There was another time where we met up before a soccer match and we were in rounds, and it was his turn to pay next. The f#cker sat on his pint for nearly an hour before everyone got fed up and left to get some food before we went into the game.

I can't abide this but at the same time I can't understand the buddies who put up with it.

Myself and our group have 1-2 suspects (who doesn't) but we, well usually me, are extremely vocal about shaming the person up to the bar regardless of what stage they are at. We will not budge until the round is bought. We have been known in the past to physically take the money off the offender if he is trying to snake off home.

One guy who was notorious would sneak off once at the club- I remember literally following him around the club and when he turned around I just made a knowing shake of the glass to indicate: "Your round bitch and you can run but you cannot hide but I will get my drink."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I can't abide this but at the same time I can't understand the buddies who put up with it.

Myself and our group have 1-2 suspects (who doesn't) but we, well usually me, are extremely vocal about shaming the person up to the bar regardless of what stage they are at. We will not budge until the round is bought. We have been known in the past to physically take the money off the offender if he is trying to snake off home.

One guy who was notorious would sneak off once at the club- I remember literally following him around the club and when he turned around I just made a knowing shake of the glass to indicate: "Your round bitch and you can run but you cannot hide but I will get my drink."

Anti-Stinge Vigilantism/Mugging/In-Face-Glass-Shaking for rounds is a dangerous path to tread. It is only a short hop from there to getting out the calculator after giving someone a lift to see how much they owe you for fuel and depreciation of your vehicle.

Extremism on both ends of the spectrum meet up again in a kind of circle of crazy!

Far better to avoid confrontation, mutter under your breath about the round-dodgers, and then blaze their stingeworthy exploits all over this thread.

Actually strong-arming the money out of them puts the spotlight back on you unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There is a pair of ye in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

There's a girl I know who is the personification of stinge.

Always putting on the poor mouth and crying about not having money to do anything but recently enough admitted that she had a few grand stashed away in the bank for "a rainy day".

One evening I decided I would call around to her for a chat. Texted her and asked her if she was home. Said she was and to call over to her. Land over to the house anyway and the place is in darkness. I knock on the door but there is no answer. Rang her and asked her was she home. "Oh yeah, I am, be down in a second." Ok, I thought to myself, she's upstairs in the back room. She answers the door anyway, still hasn't turned on any lights. Brings me into the sitting room, still not turning on any lights. Asks me if I want a cup of tea and that's when I ask her is there something wrong with the lights. "Oh no" says she "I just don't see the point in putting them on unless I have to" :confused: I know I am no oil painting but sure no point sitting in the dark :pac:

Anytime she comes out with us she brings her boyfriend. She then makes him buy a pint and then gets an empty glass and splits the pint with him. If we're having a girls night out and invite her, she won't come out because she can't bring yer man.

Also refuses to pay for bins. For a little while she was trying to get myself and OH to take her rubbish to the dump for her because we have a car. Did it for her once as a favour but will not do it again. Apparently her sister moved into the same estate as she did and is paying for the bins so my wan is just bringing all of her rubbish to her sisters house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Why not just cut the round crap and buy your own drinks? That way everyone just drinks what they want to, instead of trying to keep up with rounds they may not even want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I had a roommate who lived with me for just over a year. Her stay in Ireland was funded by her wealthy parents who paid her rent (which was lower than what I'd normally charge as she was first a Masters student, then an intern) and expenses. She was also getting other funds from friends of the family, supporting her internship.

Anyway, despite the money her parents and friends were sending her, she gave herself a budget of €19.10 per week for food and toiletries (the same as asylum seekers get).

At the end of every week she would delightedly tell me she'd stuck to her budget.

Of course, she never accounted for all the food of mine that she ate. Or the times people paid for her food or groceries or took her out for a meal.

When I once asked her did she factor my food that she ate into her budget she said the cost was 'negligible' if you split the cost of what she ate between two people. I'm not talking staples here like salt and pepper. She'd eat what I had planned for dinner or help herself to my leftovers that I was saving for next day's lunch, or use up packets of rice or pasta.

Her usual excuse was that she was too hungry to go out and buy something for herself. This on a street with a Spar, a Centra, a Tesco Express, a Lidl and three butchers and two bakeries...all within 5 minutes walking distance.

She never replaced anything she used up either.

No matter how many times I tried to talk to her about it, she just didn't see how what she was doing was wrong. She was just happy she wasn't spending above her self-imposed budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Why not just cut the round crap and buy your own drinks? That way everyone just drinks what they want to, instead of trying to keep up with rounds they may not even want?

If people bought their own drink, this thread would die. The amount of rounds-related stories is too damn high! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

LESS LIGHTBULBS/SOCKETS, MORE STINGE!!!
    LESS ALCO/BEERS, MORE STINGE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

check_six wrote: »
    Anti-Stinge Vigilantism/Mugging/In-Face-Glass-Shaking for rounds is a dangerous path to tread. It is only a short hop from there to getting out the calculator after giving someone a lift to see how much they owe you for fuel and depreciation of your vehicle.

Extremism on both ends of the spectrum meet up again in a kind of circle of crazy!

Far better to avoid confrontation, mutter under your breath about the round-dodgers, and then blaze their stingeworthy exploits all over this thread.

Actually strong-arming the money out of them puts the spotlight back on you unfortunately!

No way man. I totally back the Anti-Stinge Avengers. Everyone knows how rounds work. If you want to go home you square up in the round and tell them you'll get your own. It's basic respect for your friends to buy your share or sit out of rounds.

I'm all for stinge-shaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

No way man. I totally back the Anti-Stinge Avengers. Everyone knows how rounds work. If you want to go home you square up in the round and tell them you'll get your own. It's basic respect for your friends to buy your share or sit out of rounds.

I'm all for stinge-shaming.

Stinge-Shaming is grand, no issues there. Grabbing a guy and 'robbing' them to get your pint back them as described in the post I replied to is where it has gone too far.

I'm using vigilante in "The Punisher punching your teeth out and then shooting you" sense of the word rather than the "Neighbourhood Watch twitching the net curtains to spot stingeworths" idea you've got going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

In fairness we do call him out on his stinge a lot of the time. In that particular case I insisted we went into the pub for a quick pint before the game after we had a bag of chips so he'd have to pay his round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Stinge-Shaming is grand, no issues there. Grabbing a guy and 'robbing' them to get your pint back them as described in the post I replied to is where it has gone too far.

I'm using vigilante in "The Punisher punching your teeth out and then shooting you" sense of the word rather than the "Neighbourhood Watch twitching the net curtains to spot stingeworths" idea you've got going!

On no. I was assuming the poster punched the stinge's teeth out before taking the money out of his wallet and stood over his limp body and delivered a killer 1-liner like 'thirsty work, make mine a double'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Witnessed this yesterday in a shared office space. Group take it in turns to buy coffee and they like the fancy kenco milicano coffee. Anyway, it ran out. Next person who's turn it was to buy coffee, comes back with tesco own brand coffee saying it was much cheaper.

Stingey methinks to enjoy the expensive coffee until it is your turn to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

sullivlo wrote: »
    Witnessed this yesterday in a shared office space. Group take it in turns to buy coffee and they like the fancy kenco milicano coffee. Anyway, it ran out. Next person who's turn it was to buy coffee, comes back with tesco own brand coffee saying it was much cheaper.

Stingey methinks to enjoy the expensive coffee until it is your turn to buy it.

It baffles me how someone can think this is okay!! Not only being a stinge but blatantly irking colleagues. Coffee is one thing you don't mess around with in an office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    There's a girl I know who is the personification of stinge.

One evening I decided I would call around to her for a chat. Texted her and asked her if she was home. Said she was and to call over to her. Land over to the house anyway and the place is in darkness. I knock on the door but there is no answer. Rang her and asked her was she home. "Oh yeah, I am, be down in a second." Ok, I thought to myself, she's upstairs in the back room. She answers the door anyway, still hasn't turned on any lights. Brings me into the sitting room, still not turning on any lights. Asks me if I want a cup of tea and that's when I ask her is there something wrong with the lights. "Oh no" says she "I just don't see the point in putting them on unless I have to" :confused:I know I am no oil painting but sure no point sitting in the dark :pac:

Can't stop laughing at this, sorry Mozzeltoff
    You have to wonder how some people's minds work, sitting in the dark rather than putting on a light! It's a wonder she offered a cuppa, what about the 'waste' of energy, boiling the kettle :pac:...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I had a roommate who lived with me for just over a year. Her stay in Ireland was funded by her wealthy parents who paid her rent (which was lower than what I'd normally charge as she was first a Masters student, then an intern) and expenses. She was also getting other funds from friends of the family, supporting her internship.

Anyway, despite the money her parents and friends were sending her, she gave herself a budget of €19.10 per week for food and toiletries (the same as asylum seekers get).

At the end of every week she would delightedly tell me she'd stuck to her budget.

Of course, she never accounted for all the food of mine that she ate. Or the times people paid for her food or groceries or took her out for a meal.

When I once asked her did she factor my food that she ate into her budget she said the cost was 'negligible' if you split the cost of what she ate between two people. I'm not talking staples here like salt and pepper. She'd eat what I had planned for dinner or help herself to my leftovers that I was saving for next day's lunch, or use up packets of rice or pasta.

Her usual excuse was that she was too hungry to go out and buy something for herself. This on a street with a Spar, a Centra, a Tesco Express, a Lidl and three butchers and two bakeries...all within 5 minutes walking distance.

No matter how many times I tried to talk to her about it, she just didn't see how what she was doing was wrong. She was just happy she wasn't spending above her self-imposed budget.

100% no sympathy, you allowed yourself to be walked over there. If it happened to me once I'd say something, twice I'd go fcuking mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Birneybau wrote: »
    100% no sympathy, you allowed yourself to be walked over there. If it happened to me once I'd say something, twice I'd go fcuking mental.

Oh trust me, I wasn't looking for sympathy. Just relating a story about stinge! :D

I did learn a valuable lesson from her though! How NOT to be a walkover! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I did learn a valuable lesson from her though! How NOT to be a walkover!

I guess you could say you're more of a RUNover now....

I'll see myself out

Agree no sympathy for allowing yourself to be walked over.

Simple solution- start eating her food and pinching her toiletries. Eye for an eye- she sounds like that she came from that type of country anyway...:)

• Advertisement

Maybe I painted the wrong picture- when I say we physically took the money, we didn't pin him to the wall and shake him down. He would often say: "Oh I'm off home, sure I'll pay ye back next week"- yeah ****ing right.

So it was a case of leave the cash here- yes it is extreme but he pushed us to it and no way was I spending the rest of the right bitching and moaning.

Anyway, he was improved dramatically in the last 7-8 years and I can't think of a stinge story in years but we still keep a close eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Couple of girls I know on a night out would drink the leftover drinks on people's tables. complete strangers drinks. Disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Had some friends visiting me last week because I'm currently studying outside of Ireland. It's in Seville, which even Spanish people refer to as Spain's oven. Like the weather here is unbearably hot this time of year and gets worse in summer, so for my friends who had just come from Ireland it was even worse. My apartment is crap and my room has no window facing outside so the air goes hot and stale.

My friends turned on the air conditioning in the living room (the one room that has it) and one of the arseholes I live with ran in, grabbed the remote, turned it off and stole the remote and hid it in her room. I confronted her obviously (I mean, one of our roommates kept the heater in his room all winter without saying anything ffs) and she started going crazy saying she wasn't paying for other people to use the air conditioning and that it isn't hot yet (it was 42 C a few weeks ago).

So it's okay for us to pay for her, as long as she's not paying for us. :rolleyes: I also pointed out to her how she showers for a good 40 minutes every time and she said it's not the same. Christ.

rudders wrote: »
    Couple of girls I know on a night out would drink the leftover drinks on people's tables. complete strangers drinks. Disgusting

What's wrong with that? That was standard student activity in my day.

Yeah okay, it is disgusting but that reminds me of a funny incident years ago. A buddy was well aware of this type of activity and toward the end of the night he would take his pint class into the toilets and fill up with piss. Then place the glass back on a table- sit back and watch....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

What's wrong with that? That was standard student activity in my day.

Yeah okay, it is disgusting but that reminds me of a funny incident years ago. A buddy was well aware of this type of activity and toward the end of the night he would take his pint class into the toilets and fill up with piss. Then place the glass back on a table- sit back and watch....:D

I'd be more worried about Rohypnol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Canard wrote: »
    Had some friends visiting me last week because I'm currently studying outside of Ireland. It's in Seville, which even Spanish people refer to as Spain's oven. Like the weather here is unbearably hot this time of year and gets worse in summer, so for my friends who had just come from Ireland it was even worse. My apartment is crap and my room has no window facing outside so the air goes hot and stale.

My friends turned on the air conditioning in the living room (the one room that has it) and one of the arseholes I live with ran in, grabbed the remote, turned it off and stole the remote and hid it in her room. I confronted her obviously (I mean, one of our roommates kept the heater in his room all winter without saying anything ffs) and she started going crazy saying she wasn't paying for other people to use the air conditioning and that it isn't hot yet (it was 42 C a few weeks ago).

So it's okay for us to pay for her, as long as she's not paying for us. :rolleyes: I also pointed out to her how she showers for a good 40 minutes every time and she said it's not the same. Christ.

You need to switch off the electricity or run the cold taps next time she's in the shower.
    What a wagon.

chewed wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about Rohypnol!

Mate seriously, the myth about Rohypnol is just that.

We have all heard this conversation: "Jaysus, did you see the state of Mary last night? She was in an awful way. She said her her drink must have been spiked" ......all nod in agreement.

As if in pubs up and down the country people with unlimited access to powerful sleeping drugs randomly sneak it into pints on a regular basis.

This just is not true.

An ER consultant in Dublin wrote about this. The amount of times women off their faces arrive in A&E claiming spiked drinks is untrue. He said in his entire working career he was never once seen a positive result for Rohypnol, Simple fact is that women are getting off their faces on alcohol and then blaming it on drugs...hilariously we all just seem to accept this.

Mary drank too much. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Mate seriously, the myth about Rohypnol is just that.

We have all heard this conversation: "Jaysus, did you see the state of Mary last night? She was in an awful way. She said her her drink must have been spiked" ......all nod in agreement.

As if in pubs up and down the country people with unlimited access to powerful sleeping drugs randomly sneak it into pints on a regular basis.

This just is not true.

An ER consultant in Dublin wrote about this. The amount of times women off their faces arrive in A&E claiming spiked drinks is untrue. He said in his entire working career he was never once seen a positive result for Rohypnol, Simple fact is that women are getting off their faces on alcohol and then blaming it on drugs...hilariously we all just seem to accept this.

Mary drank too much. End of.

I was at a stag weekend recently & on the Sunday when everyone was checking out the stag couldn't stop shaking, not cold shivering or anything, like full body shaking. He ended up going to A&E cos he was a it worried, thought for sure he must've been spiked.

Saw him a couple weeks later & asked him about it. His response, "No the doctors couldn't figure out what it was" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I was at a stag weekend recently & on the Sunday when everyone was checking out the stag couldn't stop shaking, not cold shivering or anything, like full body shaking. He ended up going to A&E cos he was a it worried, thought for sure he must've been spiked.

Saw him a couple weeks later & asked him about it. His response, "No the doctors couldn't figure out what it was" :rolleyes:

That's called alcohol poisening, you're mate just didn't want to tell you that the doctors told him to cop on and stop acting the ejit.

• Advertisement

the doctors told him to cop on and stop acting the ejit.

and basically told him to 'eff off home.

Advertisement