Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Can we jump back on topic please, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    There's a girl I know who is the personification of stinge.

Always putting on the poor mouth and crying about not having money to do anything but recently enough admitted that she had a few grand stashed away in the bank for "a rainy day".

One evening I decided I would call around to her for a chat. Texted her and asked her if she was home. Said she was and to call over to her. Land over to the house anyway and the place is in darkness. I knock on the door but there is no answer. Rang her and asked her was she home. "Oh yeah, I am, be down in a second." Ok, I thought to myself, she's upstairs in the back room. She answers the door anyway, still hasn't turned on any lights. Brings me into the sitting room, still not turning on any lights. Asks me if I want a cup of tea and that's when I ask her is there something wrong with the lights. "Oh no" says she "I just don't see the point in putting them on unless I have to" :confused: I know I am no oil painting but sure no point sitting in the dark :pac:

Anytime she comes out with us she brings her boyfriend. She then makes him buy a pint and then gets an empty glass and splits the pint with him. If we're having a girls night out and invite her, she won't come out because she can't bring yer man.

Also refuses to pay for bins. For a little while she was trying to get myself and OH to take her rubbish to the dump for her because we have a car. Did it for her once as a favour but will not do it again. Apparently her sister moved into the same estate as she did and is paying for the bins so my wan is just bringing all of her rubbish to her sisters house.

Ah that reminds me ... I have posted a few times in these stingy threads cos I live in Catalunya and Catalans are
    known for there allergies to handling/spending money.

One time myself and the wife went to her cousins catering shop, we thought it was closed as no lights were on,
    but he saw us and let us in - we were thinking he just got there and hadn't switched on the lights yet, but we got in the
    shop and his wife was in the back COOKING ... bear in mind it's dark enough in the front but in the back it was pitch.

They are notorious stingebags, they make plenty of money and own a few catering shops but live in poverty saving it all.
    They never take holidays, never go out for a meal, the house is freezing and really basic and sterile (like a holiday apartment rather then a home).
    We met them once on the street with their kids, the poor children were dressed in rags ... and old old shoes falling apart.

Whats the point if you have so much to live so so tightly ? defeats the purpose really.

Oh yeah, at their wedding she made her own wedding dress, and I dont mean something nice like what a proper dressmaker would do, I mean something that looked like it used to be for sale at Des Kellys ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

So she wore a carpet, that is extreme !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In 2000, I spent the summer unpaid in a solicitors office. Didn't do much except shuffle some papers and read files.

Anyway, was reading through a probate file of a deceased lady who had died during the mid-90s. She was in her 70s.

She died in absolute squalor and I mean it. There were pictures of the house on the file- bare concrete walls and floors, no light bulbs, no heating. Stuck in a 1940s decor time warp. There was 1 light bulb that she carried around to each room and a auld gas heater.

It honestly looked like a out building. I would feel bad finding dogs living there.

She used old newspapers and elastic bands for cuts and bruisies. She was a spinster with no children or close relatives.

Anyway she was found dead in the house and had been dead for a few weeks.

Reading the autopsy was fun...'maggot and rodent infestation' on the body are terms that I never forget...:(. She was also suffering from malnourishment. I can't actually remember the exact cause of death.

Also, she would write to the local bank every year for free calenders.

Bottom line- she had over £1m (punts) in an off shore bank account in Jersey and basically starved to death in squalor.

Unfortunately, this is not an unusual event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Well, it was a bit patchy looking ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Any chance she was senile or something and had forgotten her money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

osarusan wrote: »
    Any chance she was senile or something and had forgotten her money?

No, funny (if that is the word) thing was she was the life and soul of the town. She used to run a small shop and was known for her generosity. I am not going to mention the exact town even if she died 20 years ago.

She clearly had some issues. She knew all about her money as there were regular statements and letter from Bank of Ireland- they had set it up for her. In hindsight, it was prob tax evasion and undeclared.

In fact the file also had papers clippings from the local paper from the time of her death with all sorts of locals retelling stories of how great and generous she was i.e giving out sweets etc to the children.

I am sure the locals were unaware of the circumstances of her death and the truth of the matter.

This is an old one ... as the money will demonstrate :)

Back in the day of the Irish £1 coin, a gang of us went out to dinner. There was about 10 of us and one of the girls had brought a new boyfriend along. At the end of the night, we each settled our bills and all agreed to leave a £1 tip each for the waitress. A nice tip back then all totalled, but one all of us could well afford.

As we were walking out, I looked back and saw the new boyfriend slyly slipping his coin back off the table and pocketing it.

He looked up and caught me looking at him and sheepishly put it back on the table :pac:

Stingey shíte ... he was typical of those well off families who clearly have it because they don't spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

chewed wrote: »
    There was a guy in my class in 6th year who was always flush with money, but a miserable git all the same! At lunch we'd head up to the town and he'd always go into the chipper, while us poor lads waited outside with our corn beef or jam sandwiches. When he opened the bag, he'd gob straight in all over the chips and then say "Anyone want a chip?".

I remember a guy like that in my class, he used to pull the same stunt (with taytos) until one day one of the buddies said "yeah, I'll try one" and gobbed into his packet of cheese and onion! Buddy was like "Fcuk you ya tightarsed bollix, now nobody gets any Taytos".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,270 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Mate seriously, the myth about Rohypnol is just that.

We have all heard this conversation: "Jaysus, did you see the state of Mary last night? She was in an awful way. She said her her drink must have been spiked" ......all nod in agreement.

As if in pubs up and down the country people with unlimited access to powerful sleeping drugs randomly sneak it into pints on a regular basis.

This just is not true.

An ER consultant in Dublin wrote about this. The amount of times women off their faces arrive in A&E claiming spiked drinks is untrue. He said in his entire working career he was never once seen a positive result for Rohypnol, Simple fact is that women are getting off their faces on alcohol and then blaming it on drugs...hilariously we all just seem to accept this.

Mary drank too much. End of.

That consultant said it in a oireachteas investigation. The heads of A&E consultants from around the country were there. They all said the same. They did say that they found levels of alcohol in some women (who had reported their drinks being spiked) in one other place, the morgue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

TOEJOE wrote: »
    So she wore a carpet, that is extreme !!!!

Doesn't matter once the groom got to lay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Today, a very wealthy friend of mine called to see me. We speak on the phone a lot but haven't met in person for about 3 years. before he left the house he gave each of my children a crisp €50 note

We adjourned to the pub and he ordered 2 pints of stout, and a pint of coke for his wife. Just as the barman served up the stout my friend fucked off to the toilet and I had to pay for the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

sligojoek wrote: »
    Today, a very wealthy friend of mine called to see me. We speak on the phone a lot but haven't met in person for about 3 years. before he left the house he gave each of my children a crisp €50 note

We adjourned to the pub and he ordered 2 pints of stout, and a pint of coke for his wife. Just as the barman served up the stout my friend fucked off to the toilet and I had to pay for the round.

Tbh i can't call him stingy considering he gave your kids €50, or am I missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

For me I would find it stingy that you were not falling over yourself to buy the first round considering your friend had already been so generous to your family.

Look at it from his perspective

'' Met up with an old friend and his family. Out of kindness I gave his children some money, not expecting anything in return. We then went to the pub and when ordering drinks my friend made no effort to pay for the round even after me already being so generous to him, he expected me to pay for this also, not just mine and my wife's drinks,but his too! So I fecked off to the toilet just when it was time to pay for the drinks.... stingy fecker expecting me to pay for everything because he deems me ''wealthy'' and never returning the favour ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Were is that stingy you dont say how many kids you have. He gave your kids at least €100 but yet your moaning about spending a quid on a couple of pints. You are the one who is coming over as being tight fisted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Probably why its been years since he visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

What's wrong with that? That was standard student activity in my day.

Yeah okay, it is disgusting but that reminds me of a funny incident years ago. A buddy was well aware of this type of activity and toward the end of the night he would take his pint class into the toilets and fill up with piss. Then place the glass back on a table- sit back and watch....:D

This has given me ideas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

By any chance Sligo Joe are you in fact from Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭identer

Still hide my grannys cookies from roomies...Never want it to finish

By any chance Sligo Joe are you in fact from Cavan?

Tipperary.

Okay. I was being harsh on him. I typed that after a few pints and regretted it the next day.

They called again today on their way back from Ballyshannon and took us all out for lunch. I showed him my post and the replies and we had a good laugh about it. He especially liked qwerty1991's reply.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Tipperary.

Okay. I was being harsh on him. I typed that after a few pints and regretted it the next day.

They called again today on their way back from Ballyshannon and took us all out for lunch. I showed him my post and the replies and we had a good laugh about it. He especially liked qwerty1991's reply.

Lies.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Lies.
    You were there, were you?

You were there, were you?

In Cavan? Nope, I wasn't.

You took the €50s back off your kids to pay for them pints that led you to post that didn't you? Tell the truth Cavan Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Faith+1 wrote: »
    ^^^^ Christ I remember watching her on Extreme Cheapskates. She cooked dumpster food for an old college friend and his girlfriend.

When they found out their reaction was priceless. I'm sorry but she is one manky b*tch.

After reading about the tv show I went looking on you tube, man there are some crazy people. The first woman who cooked for her college friend isn't just stingy she is nuts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From the What Scams have you only just Realised? thread
    PARlance wrote: »
    Just an isolated scam here. Have a neighbour who is in his 70's at home. He wouldn't spend Christmas. On the Friday evening of every bank holiday he goes to his doctor complaining of severe head pains... without fail he then gets an ambulance called for him to take him into hospital knowing full well that he will be kept under observation until a consultant sees him on Monday evening/Tuesday.

Free accommodation and food for him for his bank holiday retreat. Up until the last bank holiday when he was turned away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have an aunt and uncle who are fairly well off. There both working and go through money like its going out of fashion. New house, rental property, new cars, top designer clothes you name it.

Well for my communion back in 2004, they sent me out a card with €5 in it. Now granted i was only 8, but looking back on it ho give someone a fiver for their communion. My folks always give between 20-30 depending on who they are. Another time in school, we were doing a sponsored reading for MS. She sponsored me something like €4, but never gave it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have an aunt and uncle who are fairly well off. There both working and go through money like its going out of fashion. New house, rental property, new cars, top designer clothes you name it.

Well for my communion back in 2004, they sent me out a card with €5 in it. Now granted i was only 8, but looking back on it ho give someone a fiver for their communion. My folks always give between 20-30 depending on who they are. Another time in school, we were doing a sponsored reading for MS. She sponsored me something like €4, but never gave it to me.

30 quid? for a communion?
    You're a kid. What would you be doing except buying sweets with it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

bluewolf wrote: »
    30 quid? for a communion?
    You're a kid. What would you be doing except buying sweets with it anyway

Save it up to buy a bullock?

Or is that only a culchie thing

Advertisement