Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I have an aunt and uncle who are fairly well off. There both working and go through money like its going out of fashion. New house, rental property, new cars, top designer clothes you name it.

Well for my communion back in 2004, they sent me out a card with €5 in it. Now granted i was only 8, but looking back on it ho give someone a fiver for their communion. My folks always give between 20-30 depending on who they are. Another time in school, we were doing a sponsored reading for MS. She sponsored me something like €4, but never gave it to me.

This says more about the ridiculous expectations that now surround first communions than it does about your aunt and uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Knew a fella that bought a tin of beans on the Tuesday so he could have a bubble bath on the Wednesday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Getting birthday cards from family with no money in it. I don't want your card ffs, I want money riiight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Getting birthday cards from family with no money in it. I don't want your card ffs, I want money riiight.

"Money's short and times are hard,
    So here's your fecking birthday card."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    "Money's short and times are hard,
    So here's your fecking birthday card."

A birthday card ? No recession in that house. Nooo Sir!

"Moneys short and times are hard,
    Now go on and get up the feckin yard".

I was in Dublin a couple of weeks ago, the 5th anniversary mass of a relative, it's turned into a bit of a social get together and its a good chance to catch up with people you might not see for a couple of years otherwise. Always took up a close relative of the deceased with me as he wouldn't be too used to driving that distance (which is fair enough).

Anyway, this year the Mass was on a Wednesday evening, as opposed to usually being on a Sunday, so I couldn;t hang around afterwards for more than a few minutes. I told yer man.

"So your leaving staright after"
    "Yes, 15-20 minutes for small talk and then I have to go"(I'd aim to get there 30 mins before for a chat as well)
    "You won't stay for the meal ?" (meal was always free, paid for by the family)
    "No, definitely not, have to be back here for 11.oo ( its a 2 hour drive)
    "Ah, feck ya, I'm not going so, if there's nothing to eat"
    "I'll stop in the services in Enfield on the way up and down if you're hungry"
    "No, no, those people want a fiver or more for a scone and a cup of tea, I'll not pay that. Leave it so."
    "I'll make up sandwiches and we'll bring a flask of tea with us"
    "No, no, if there's no meal, I'm not going. That's that."

Stingy b'stard wouldn't go to his cousins funeral because there was no free grub. They grew up literally next door to each other and were lifelong friends. The man is in his late 60's and fully fit, so no bother on that part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,621 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bargain hunters are the most stingy people in the world. People who only go to places because theres an offer on etc. Some of these people have well paid jobs. My local chip shop had half price fish and chip day a few months ago and the place was jammed but its only 8.50 for a fish and chip full price

When im at a gaa match i always go through the concession turnstiles because i have a student card but its always full of old people who would not spend christmas . Another thing that annoys me at matches is people who refuse to buy a programme and bring in a newspaper with the teams on it or ask for a programme and take the teams down. a programme is only 4/5 euro and if its a famous day could be worth something someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

PTH2009 wrote: »
    When im at a gaa match i always go through the concession turnstiles because i have a student card but its always full of old people who would not spend christmas .

The concession turnstile is for OAPs, the unwaged and students also. I don't know why it's stingy for them to go through the turnstile specifically for them.
    Another thing that annoys me at matches is people who refuse to buy a programme and bring in a newspaper with the teams on it or ask for a programme and take the teams down.

a programme is only 4/5 euro...

If you only want to know the teams and are not interested in the rest of the programme, which is at least 95% of it in many cases, a fiver is a bit steep for a list of names.
    ...and if its a famous day could be worth something someday.

Not in any of our lifetimes it won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

When I was in the Girl Guides (don't laugh) we all went away on a hiking weekend to this cottage type hostel place in the woods. The convent I went to ran the while thing and obviously our parents had to pay them. Anyway I was picked to help with the kitchen duties and basically the nun cleared away the plates of the cheapskate foods from dinner. She got a big container and scraped the leftover beans into it to be used again for tomorrow's meals. So all the scraps of other people's bits were reheated and served up as new. I was so sick, I couldn't eat the rest of the time there. Went home starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

A friend of mine worked in a hotel kitchen years ago and said the peas that came back from the diners were moved on to others plate's and sent back out. If any veg didn't have teeth marks, that was also sent back out.

Won't name the hotel here even though it has new owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

eternal wrote: »
    When I was in the Girl Guides (don't laugh) we all went away on a hiking weekend to this cottage type hostel place in the woods. The convent I went to ran the while thing and obviously our parents had to pay them. Anyway I was picked to help with the kitchen duties and basically the nun cleared away the plates of the cheapskate foods from dinner. She got a big container and scraped the leftover beans into it to be used again for tomorrow's meals. So all the scraps of other people's bits were reheated and served up as new. I was so sick, I couldn't eat the rest of the time there. Went home starved.

You're sure it was re-served, and not for the pigs?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    A friend of mine worked in a hotel kitchen years ago and said the peas that came back from the diners were moved on to others plate's and sent back out. If any veg didn't have teeth marks, that was also sent back out.

Won't name the hotel here even though it has new owners.

It was the times that were in it. People screwed money out of others. You couldn't do that in a professional kitchen now. The amount of waste I've seen is unreal and they don't allow employees to take food home either. You would see a 40 euro dinner nearly untouched being thrown out. I remember one manager used to be eating all the leftovers in the corner.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    You're sure it was re-served, and not for the pigs?

Nothing escapes my Girl Guide eyes. The beans were put in a silver food container and put into the fridge. 'That'll do grand for tomorrow' she said to the other nun. They were notorious for being stingy. As sure as eggs is eggs, beans were for the next day's dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

It was the times that were in it. People screwed money out of others. You couldn't do that in a professional kitchen now. The amount of waste I've seen is unreal and they don't allow employees to take food home either. You would see a 40 euro dinner nearly untouched being thrown out. I remember one manager used to be eating all the leftovers in the corner.

I nearly died when I first saw a basket of bread taken from the table and binnned even though nobody went near it.

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    I nearly died when I first saw a basket of bread taken from the table and binnned even though nobody went near it.

It's a terrible waste. One place I worked had bins for dogs belonged to one of the staff but in the fancy places you could see a fillet steak come back barely eaten. Some of them were 6 course meals and people just couldn't manage all the food but it was a sin tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's a terrible waste. One place I worked had bins for dogs belonged to one of the staff but in the fancy places you could see a fillet steak come back barely eaten. Some of them were 6 course meals and people just couldn't manage all the food but it was a sin tbh.
    My daughter works in a restaurant and often brings home the best of half eaten steaks for the dog. I've often been tempted to slice one up and fuck it into a stir fry.

sligojoek wrote: »
    My daughter works in a restaurant and often brings home the best of half eaten steaks for the dog. I've often been tempted to slice one up and fuck it into a stir fry.

It's the most expensive foods you'd see. And it's pretty disheartening to spend 7 hours preparing fine dining desserts and then see them untouched. They usually ask the customer if everything is alright but it's basically gluttony that they order something they don't even want. Depends on the budget of the place though. One hotel used food from weddings for the lunch menu the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

I am a chef myself. I was working in a restaurant early February and they loved to recycle food. If someone ordered a meal with chips but the chips weren't touched, they'd go back into a bowl and then refried again. If you didn't eat your salad or veg, it ended up on some one else's plate.

Absolutely disgusting. I ended up walking out of the place because the Head chef had a disgusting attitude towards customers and staff. Place I work in now is miles better. Unfortunately we do see an awful lot of waste there. We try save what we can (within reason) and if there is an extra meal or dessert left over, we do offer it to the rest of the staff. But waste is part and parcel of the industry and tbh, I'd rather see some ones un eaten cold chips go into the bin rather than someone elses plate.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    I am a chef myself. I was working in a restaurant early February and they loved to recycle food. If someone ordered a meal with chips but the chips weren't touched, they'd go back into a bowl and then refried again. If you didn't eat your salad or veg, it ended up on some one else's plate.

Absolutely disgusting. I ended up walking out of the place because the Head chef had a disgusting attitude towards customers and staff. Place I work in now is miles better. Unfortunately we do see an awful lot of waste there. We try save what we can (within reason) and if there is an extra meal or dessert left over, we do offer it to the rest of the staff. But waste is part and parcel of the industry and tbh, I'd rather see some ones un eaten cold chips go into the bin rather than someone elses plate.

That's rough in this day and age. I actually like the staff getting the stuff that's not been touched. I suppose their wages weren't great and it was a perk for them. On thing I hate is chips that have been refried till they are like see through. One lazy chef was like constantly doing this and considering how dirt cheap massive stocks of frozen chips were, it was wrong. Even McDonald's have fresh chips usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

rorymagory wrote: »
    I bought a used car from a huge garage in East Galway in April 2014. It had just passed NCT a few days before I bought it. I brought it for NCT in April 2015 and it failed on a visual - the side-lamps (the small headlights beside the main headlights) weren't working. Not to worry said mr nct, easy fix.

Called into a car shop, handed the guy the NCT cert and said 'please help' as I haven't a notion about cars. He sold me 2 bulbs for €1 each and offered to put them in for me.

He did his thing and got under the bonnet. When he finished he mentioned that there were no old/broken bulbs in the sockets when he went in, so he didn't have any old / broken bulbs to throw away....

Basically,right after the car passed NCT in April 2014, the garage went and took out the 2 side lamp bulbs (worth €1 each) and kept them. For a full year I'd been trying to use side lamps that had no bulbs. The headlights bring slightly dimmer than expected was the least of my issues with that car though.

I would say more likely that whoever you bought the car from had put new bulbs in so that it would pass the NCT. Then once they had the cert, they took them back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

mate of mine whos a stingy tight arse wanted to marry his gf but didnt want to pay for the wedding so knew if he asked her fathers permission the father would pay for the wedding. her parents ran the wedding and dictated the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

neris wrote: »
    mate of mine whos a stingy tight arse wanted to marry his gf but didnt want to pay for the wedding so knew if he asked her fathers permission the father would pay for the wedding. her parents ran the wedding and dictated the whole thing.

Is it not tradition that the parents of the bride that usually pay for the wedding though I would have thought?

Sure after the wedding most likely comes the house; sofas in DFS; bedroom suites in Harvey norman; citroen picasso's at Gowen; then sprog farming - all thats very very expensive and the man is expected to be the bread winner - so I certainly see your friends logic of avoiding more debt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Absolutely disgusting. I ended up walking out of the place because the Head chef had a disgusting attitude towards customers and staff. Place I work in now is miles better.

I worked in a bar/restaurant that didn't do a Sunday lunch service so the owner's daughter took it on herself, completely unconnected to the main restaurant. Found out after a while that she took all the leftover veg from plates and made vegetable soup for the next Sunday with it. Manager put his foot down and had her turfed out when he found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

December a few years back a family member was going to New York, I gave them dollars to get me a bottle of MAC foundation. When they got back I asked if they managed to get it for me, said yeah that they did. Grand. Christmas morning I open my Christmas present & what is it? Only the bottle of foundation I asked for & paid for myself. Yeah thanks, how thoughtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

December a few years back a family member was going to New York, I gave them dollars to get me a bottle of MAC foundation. When they got back I asked if they managed to get it for me, said yeah that they did. Grand. Christmas morning I open my Christmas present & what is it? Only the bottle of foundation I asked for & paid for myself. Yeah thanks, how thoughtful.

What was grand about it? You gave them money, they said they got it and then didn't give it to you when asked. What were you expecting on Christmas morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is it not tradition that the parents of the bride that usually pay for the wedding though I would have thought?
    Not any more. Both sets of parents often contribute a healthy sum to the pot, but since both the bride and groom are likely to have been working for years their parents are no longer 'responsible' for paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im a chef in a pub. About 2 months ago I had a funeral for 80 for two course, soup and caesar salad starter and turkey & ham crowns or salmon for main. The guy who booked rang me about an hour before they were due to let me know the numbers had swelled to about 95. No problem I said, I have the stock. 30 turned up. The amount of waste was shocking. I was able to freeze the salmon but most of the turkey and ham ended up being thrown out. The owners wouldnt allow the staff to have it or allow me to sell it as a special. at least 40 crowns went in the bin that day

What was grand about it? You gave them money, they said they got it and then didn't give it to you when asked. What were you expecting on Christmas morning?

I asked over the phone if they got it. I was thinking Grand, they got it, I'll get it when I see them next. I didn't see them till Christmas morning, last thing I was expecting was to open it as my present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I asked over the phone if they got it. I was thinking Grand, they got it, I'll get it when I see them next. I didn't see them till Christmas morning, last thing I was expecting was to open it as my present.

Was there any change? :rolleyes:

Was there any change? :rolleyes:

I didn't ask for fear of being asked to contribute towards their flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I went out with a girl who worked as a nurse in a home for special needs children run by nuns.

She told me they used bloom calf milk replacement powder as a milk substitute for the kids.

Advertisement