Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Is it not tradition that the parents of the bride that usually pay for the wedding though I would have thought?

Sure after the wedding most likely comes the house; sofas in DFS; bedroom suites in Harvey norman; citroen picasso's at Gowen; then sprog farming - all thats very very expensive and the man is expected to be the bread winner - so I certainly see your friends logic of avoiding more debt.

What century are you living in?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,458 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eternal wrote: »
    I actually like the staff getting the stuff that's not been touched.
    One has to be careful to not encourage the staff to over-do portion sizes and other bad habits.

If food is wasted because of the system (not because the customer over-ordered), people in the system shouldn't benefit from that waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My friends uncle use to go into shops and take pictures of the newspaper instead of buying it. He still does it to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

My friends uncle use to go into shops and take pictures of the newspaper instead of buying it. He still does it to this day.

Must have been a bit pricey for him in the days of film - and he'd have to wait a fortnight.
    My uncle never bought a newpaper in his life, preferring to wait until he could nip down to the library in the evening and read them there.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

my stepfather is the ultimate miser. one incident that will always stay with is when a friend called around, he pulled out a cigarette but had no lighter.. so he turned to the stepfather and said can i use your lighter.. and being completely serious he replies.

No, i do not want to waste the gas.. i actualy hung my head in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Getting birthday cards from family with no money in it. I don't want your card ffs, I want money riiight.
    I got a birthday card and inclosed was a lottery ticket. Nice gesture I thought, until I took it to a shop to check it and realised it was a ticket for the lotto before my birthday, so obviously not even a chance of a winner :rolleyes:

Who sends an old lottery ticket as a gift? :confused: I mean come on, a couple of scratch cards would have been less scabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Victor wrote: »
    One has to be careful to not encourage the staff to over-do portion sizes and other bad habits.

If food is wasted because of the system (not because the customer over-ordered), people in the system shouldn't benefit from that waste.

When you have tours, you have an extra bit of food left over. You might have a tour of sixty people in. They have a choice between salmon or chicken. You throw on half and half just to make sure you have the majority of both covered but you don't know the exact order/number until before the starters go out. Turns out you could have 35 chicken and 25 salmon. That means you have five salmon left over. So it's then given to the staff if they want it. Better than going in the bin. It's not a case that chefs are throwing it on extras to feed staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I got a birthday card and inclosed was a lottery ticket. Nice gesture I thought, until I took it to a shop to check it and realised it was a ticket for the lotto before my birthday, so obviously not even a chance of a winner :rolleyes:

Who sends an old lottery ticket as a gift? :confused: I mean come on, a couple of scratch cards would have been less scabby!

The ticket is still valid, up till 90 days.

You can't buy tickets weeks in advance, just for the next draw(s).

What is stingy is if they send the card after the draw was made, checking the numbers first, it's not clear from your post if this is what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How far ahead though? I live in the UK and send a few UK lottery lines into my Dads card for his birthday, if his birthday is the Wednesday for example, I'll post it on the Thursday/Friday beforehand with tickets for the Saturday draw.

When he opens it, the draw has past but it doesn't me I sent a dud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

What century are you living in?!

21st....well yeah the 20th in some respects though. I amn't all loved up and into planning weddings etc so am a bit green on these kind of things. Having said that I know it wasn't exactly 1950 that the tradition of the brides family contributing towards all or most of the costs of the big day died out...used to be the case up until quite recently for many I am aware off....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

21st....well yeah the 20th in some respects though. I amn't all loved up and into planning weddings etc so am a bit green on these kind of things. Having said that I know it wasn't exactly 1950 that the tradition of the brides family contributing towards all or most of the costs of the big day died out...used to be the case up until quite recently for many I am aware off....

I was referring more to your archaic belief that a man would be expected to be the sole breadwinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Not a person but worth mentioning, I get a monthly prescription and normally there are 31 days worth, 31 being the amount of days in most months. I went to a different pharmacy last week and the stingy gits gave me 28 days worth. Still charged me for the full months as I am sure they will argue that February is a month and has 28 days.

I was referring more to your archaic belief that a man would be expected to be the sole breadwinner.

Ah fair point...I know that has changed over recent years alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

amn't

Fantastic....the grammer nazi's are keeping us on our toes too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

On top of being sad and annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"Amn't" is a perfectly cromulent word.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,458 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RoboRat wrote: »
    Not a person but worth mentioning, I get a monthly prescription and normally there are 31 days worth, 31 being the amount of days in most months. I went to a different pharmacy last week and the stingy gits gave me 28 days worth. Still charged me for the full months as I am sure they will argue that February is a month and has 28 days.
    Prescriptions are usually marked "x28" or similar, not "x month".

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    "Amn't" is a perfectly cromulent word.

I actually thought as much myself but wasn't full sure and the fact it seemed I was being pulled up on it had me doubting myself. Just checked and indeed it is a cromulent word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

On top of being sad and annoying.

I'm quite happy actually lol

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »

What is stingy is if they send the card after the draw was made, checking the numbers first, it's not clear from your post if this is what happened.
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear but that was what I meant, which is why I said it would be like sending used scratched cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sorry if my post wasn't clear but that was what I meant, which is why I said it would be like sending used scratched cards.
    They sent a lottery ticket they knew wasn't a winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Prescriptions are usually marked "x28" or similar, not "x month".

Mine are just marked x 6 for 6 months supply, as I said, usually get it filled in the local who give me 31, went to another pharmacy near my work and they gave me 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

It should be "the grammar nazis..." :D

osarusan wrote: »
    They sent a lottery ticket they knew wasn't a winner?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

chewed wrote: »
    It should be "the grammar nNazis*..." :D

*Nazis with a capital N, please.

:)

Am I really bad because I have being using this thread for money saving tips?!

Anyway, I know this guy with a totally clapped out Fiesta. To say the car owes him nothing at this stage is a gross understatement. Shocked it passed its last few nct's. Its begining to burn oil like the new time. Instead of replenishing it with new oil he goes to his local garage and gets the waste oil of other cars from them and chucks it in. Mind you, I probably wouldn't bother buying new oil for it either with the state its in... (genuinely not me by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Sold a very expensive dress to a lady on adverts. After the usual haggling (aww sure you'll do it for half your asking price, go on, go on, go on etc. and sure throw in the postage for free too!), which I eventually gave into since I just wanted the dress gone, I received the money in the post this morning... Lo-and- behold she short changed me by €1.50 and taped the last euro to the inside of the envelope- in 2cents and 5cents. I'm surprised she didnt have to pay for the weight of the envelope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Red Kev wrote: »
    *Nazis with a capital N, please.

:)

That's only if you're referring to the Nazi party in Germany. Here we're just referencing "grammar nazis" (or in other words, really annoying pr1cks)!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chewed wrote: »
    That's only if you're referring to the Nazi party in Germany.
    What about Illinois Nazis ?

Advertisement