Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,625 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Higher class people tend to be stingy imo. With all the money they have they give out about paying 1 Euro for a newspaper etc

I'm deff not high class or in fact make much money but I'm not afraid to spend it . If I like something I'll buy it if it's affordable to me, I often buy drinks for people, donate a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I don't know why people throw away the stalks of broccoli. If you peel the outer layer, what's inside is nutritious and delicious in a stir fry or how ever you chose to use it.

Cutting off the stalks of broccoli because you won't eat it, is the same as saying "I'm going to open this packet of bread and remove the ends because I don't eat the ends, so I don't see why I should pay for them".

Life's too short to peel broccoli.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dan Jaman wrote: »

Now if only there were some kind of tool sharp enough to help me open my fruit without using my hands to peel it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I actually like the stalk of broccoli, more so than than the flowers (or whatever you call them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Yep. It's because of stingebags like this that there is a cover charge in the first place.

I have a mate who often boasts about never spending more than 25 quid on a night out, and he has often gotten very drunk. That is nothing to be proud of.

True and I don't understand how someone can possibly think boasting about such a thing can endear them to anyone. Not sure why he's a mate of yours. For balance, getting very drunk on any budget is nothing to be proud of, and is probably the main reason people are so frugal in other areas of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

This isn't really stingy but about 13 years ago, so the start of 2002. My dad got one if those old milk bottles, and put all of the small change we got (5,10,20c) ect, in a jar.
    Around the 22nd of that December he counted it all up, there was €30 in it, and me and my 2 brothers got a tenner for smyths for an extra toy before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

5, 10's and 20's over a period of 13 years and it only equals 30 quid? I'd have that much collected in my car ashtray in three weeks! Someone's being stingy with their own change jar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

5, 10's and 20's over a period of 13 years and it only equals 30 quid? I'd have that much collected in my car ashtray in three weeks! Someone's being stingy with their one change jar!

Over the period of that 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Over the period of that 1 year.

Oh I see. You were being stingy with the 'that' December in ur original post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

This isn't really stingy but about 13 years ago, so the start of 2002. My dad got one if those old milk bottles, and put all of the small change we got (5,10,20c) ect, in a jar.
    Around the 22nd of that December he counted it all up, there was €30 in it, and me and my 2 brothers got a tenner for smyths for an extra toy before Christmas.

That's not stingy at all -!! That's just saving - my brother got the deposit for his house that way - several years of not spending coins - just notes - the coins went into huge bottles -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    That's not stingy at all -!! That's just saving - my brother got the deposit for his house that way - several years of not spending coins - just notes - the coins went into huge bottles -
    These days you need a change bottle the size of a house to do that. In that case, you may as well just live in the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I collect coins the same way. Then down the bank to lodge it every couple of months. All those 10c and 20c coins - comes to €150 - €200 no problem. That's the cable and electric bill looked after without me bothering too much.

It's actually fun counting and bagging the shrapnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Higher class people tend to be stingy imo. With all the money they have they give out about paying 1 Euro for a newspaper etc

I'm deff not high class or in fact make much money but I'm not afraid to spend it . If I like something I'll buy it if it's affordable to me, I often buy drinks for people, donate a bit

a) Ireland doesn't really have a 'class' system
    b) Would you like some more tar for your brush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Used to work in a very busy restaurant in Dundalk, when clearing tables you scrape the food into the bin as is the norm, owner was a real bitch,she came at me screaming one day when she saw this and told me to scrape into the two boxes on the counter, one for veg, one for spuds. I asked one of the waitresses what for since I was new, 'for tomorrows soup'!

I refused to do it, feckin minks. I was out of that place in a few weeks after that.

I collect coins the same way. Then down the bank to lodge it every couple of months. All those 10c and 20c coins - comes to €150 - €200 no problem. That's the cable and electric bill looked after without me bothering too much.

It's actually fun counting and bagging the shrapnel.

I hear banks don't actually like dealing in cash anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh imho doesnt matter whether they like it or not, theyve done that for years as part of theyre job they can keep doing it :), they do fcuk all methinks for the bank charges they charge anyway, I mean WTF?!

Bank charges for having an account with them, I have to have one bank account for different reasons but EBS all the way I say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

FortySeven wrote: »
    Used to work in a very busy restaurant in Dundalk, when clearing tables you scrape the food into the bin as is the norm, owner was a real bitch,she came at me screaming one day when she saw this and told me to scrape into the two boxes on the counter, one for veg, one for spuds. I asked one of the waitresses what for since I was new, 'for tomorrows soup'!

I refused to do it, feckin minks. I was out of that place in a few weeks after that.

Christ do you mind telling me what restaurant so I can avoid the soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

seannash wrote: »
    Christ do you mind telling me what restaurant so I can avoid the soup.

I've worked in restaurants for years (I don't any more.) It's actually the norm, in my experience. Soup is very often made up of the unfinished odds and ends from other diners plates. I've never agreed with it, but in any restaurant I've worked in, that was the policy when plates came back into the kitchen with unfinished veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thats feckin disgusting and i'm apalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I've worked in restaurants for years (I don't any more.) It's actually the norm, in my experience. Soup is very often made up of the unfinished odds and ends from other diners plates. I've never agreed with it, but in any restaurant I've worked in, that was the policy when plates came back into the kitchen with unfinished veg.

That was the only place I EVER saw it happen and I worked in so many different places around Ireland and the UK that I couldn't name them all. I don't want to give the trade a bad name. In 20 years averaging about 3 different jobs a year I saw this only in that 1 place.

The place in Dundalk, it was 10 years ago so I'm not going to name and shame. There is a chance they may have changed their ways/changed ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

FortySeven wrote: »
    That was the only place I EVER saw it happen and I worked in so many different places around Ireland and the UK that I couldn't name them all. I don't want to give the trade a bad name. In 20 years averaging about 3 different jobs a year I saw this only in that 1 place.

The place in Dundalk, it was 10 years ago so I'm not going to name and shame. There is a chance they may have changed their ways/changed ownership.

I thought it was standard practice too. Doesn't bother me as I never order soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I've worked in hotels and restaurants for years and have never seen this happen thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Having worked in a couple of kitchens myself this was NEVER something that we did. It is truly disgusting and any kitchen doing it should be reported!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thats like a barman collecting glasses and pouring the dregs into one glass and serving it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Thats like a barman collecting glasses and pouring the dregs into one glass and serving it

Pubs have been known to have a line running from the spill tray, which in turn feeds back into the line again. Lovely. I am not repeating an urban (or rural) legend either.

Pubs have been known to have a line running from the spill tray, which in turn feeds back into the line again. Lovely. I am not repeating an urban (or rural) legend either.

I've seen that. Used to be done with no fancy plumbing, just the spill tray drained into a settling glass, which was then topped up and handed to some unlucky drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,942 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

kingtut wrote: »
    Having worked in a couple of kitchens myself this was NEVER something that we did. It is truly disgusting and any kitchen doing it should be reported!

Same here , though it's years since I worked in a Hotel . Back then there was a big barrell for the food being thrown out, so the plates were scraped into that and when they were full , the farmer down the road used to come pick them up for his pigs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I've seen that. Used to be done with no fancy plumbing, just the spill tray drained into a settling glass, which was then topped up and handed to some unlucky drunk.

That's it exactly. I worked for someone once that for a time, worked investigating fraud and such things. Sometimes employed by proprietors of pubs/hotels and other times employed to investigate the establishments themselves.

He said he came across a lot of stuff not directly related to why he was there that would be fairly alarming. He wasn't one to go on about it for the sake of spinning tales, but the couple of things I got out of him were a bit unsettling.

The drip tray is probably the least of it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Disgustingest thing you've seen disgusting people 2

:-(

• Advertisement

That's it exactly. I worked for someone once that for a time, worked investigating fraud and such things. Sometimes employed by proprietors of pubs/hotels and other times employed to investigate the establishments themselves.

He said he came across a lot of stuff not directly related to why he was there that would be fairly alarming. He wasn't one to go on about it for the sake of spinning tales, but the couple of things I got out of him were a bit unsettling.

The drip tray is probably the least of it too...

Please tell us more? :):)

Has anyone ever seen the show Extreme Cheapskates? It's pretty interesting; everything from people using wee jars to save flushing and a guy who goes around in a restaurant with a little container asking for people's left overs from their plates

Advertisement