Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I understand the point you were making but I just think you're overblowing the whole thing.

Sure, that one behind you at the checkout was being a bit forward and I wouldn't have time for them points or whatever they are, but if anyone wanted mine it's no problem. It's not like it affected you in any way.

And the question about you not saying no is a valid one. You still said yes therefore you condoned her for asking in the first place.

And on the parking, the council have monopolised parking in the town beside me and it drives business away from the town. I avoid paying for parking whenever I can on principle because of this as it is pure short sightedness as always from the council.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Lol what a cop out.

You only need to look back on the last two pages to see one clear poster with a one track mind, and it's not me.

I have in no such way copped out. I have defended myself robustly against all the people who took um-bridge at my post and I intend to continue to do so.

Your comment about not paying parking charges 'on principle' is EXACTLY the type of thing a m**** would say. In fact my ex-friend the miser said to me on offering to him to come in to have a cup of tea said 'on no I won't , I begrudge paying the parking charges. Unquote. How awful it must be to have petty things like that rule your life. Who'd want to be around people like that. I don't.
    Can we get back to the stinge and less of the defensive arguing, its getting very old and ruining an enjoyable thread.

If your talking to the people who are attacking me for my post I'd have to agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bluewolf wrote: »
    Where's the fun ;(

I'll add a stingy story.
    I got a tefal frying pan for half price in supervalu cos of my reward points the other week
    I'm awful

Sometimes when I'm in Tesco I'll ask the person in front of or behind me if the want the points since I don't have a clubcard. What does that make me!? A huge phlanthopist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where's the fun ;(

I'll add a stingy story.
    I got a tefal frying pan for half price in supervalu cos of my reward points the other week
    I'm awful

Yay, me too!! Always wanted the 20cm pan, and I got it. Now to cook the omellettes... perfect size for lots of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Yay, me too!! Always wanted the 20cm pan, and I got it. Now to cook the omellettes... perfect size for lots of things.

Stinged out on frying pans, I was. Fed up with Tefal and all the other non-stick this, non-stick that bollocks that always stuck or fell off, I scoured the bootsales and jumbles until I found the perfect frying pan - a large cast iron one about 15 inches in diameter. Cost me about a quid, iirc. Seasoned properly, and cared for, and never, never, ever washed with detergent, it's been the best frying pan I've ever bought.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Stinged out on frying pans, I was. Fed up with Tefal and all the other non-stick this, non-stick that bollocks that always stuck or fell off, I scoured the bootsales and jumbles until I found the perfect frying pan - a large cast iron one about 15 inches in diameter. Cost me about a quid, iirc. Seasoned properly, and cared for, and never, never, ever washed with detergent, it's been the best frying pan I've ever bought.

Cast Iron is the dog's Boll*ks.

I did well on the stingy front a few weeks ago. Super Value were doing an offer on kitchen knives. I was collecting the €10 tokens of which 10 would get you a very good knife for less than a tenner.

I went over on a Saturday morning, got a few bits and pieces and the guy on the till asked me was I collecting for the knives and I said I was. He pulled off about 2 feet of the roll and said "Stick that in your pocket."

Later that day the same ting happened to my OH.

If anyone wants a knife I have loads for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sligojoek wrote: »
    Stick em up on Adverts and see the ****e you get offered for swaps :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dan Jaman wrote: »

While we're on the subject, I bought 4 LODGE cast Iron pans at a car boot sale in ballyshannon. 6, 8 10 and 12 inches. 10€, Three days work and my grandchildren will have cast Iron pans for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

colossus-x wrote:
    Anyway as I paid for my items the cashier asked for a clubcard to which i answered no. The scabby cow behind me chirped in 'ooh can I have them - no point in wasting them'. I was like sure why not but it was all a bit awkward. She obviously had no qualms about asking a complete stranger for their clubcard points.

You could just say no...?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Cast Iron is the dog's Boll*ks.

I did well on the stingy front a few weeks ago. Super Value were doing an offer on kitchen knives. I was collecting the €10 tokens of which 10 would get you a very good knife for less than a tenner.

I went over on a Saturday morning, got a few bits and pieces and the guy on the till asked me was I collecting for the knives and I said I was. He pulled off about 2 feet of the roll and said "Stick that in your pocket."

Later that day the same ting happened to my OH.

They were actually really good knives! I got a few as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I'm not sure where the adulation for Supervalu is coming from, aside from the fact that their stores are sh*te, understaffed and overpriced I've always found the rewards/offers to be the greatest load of bollox...they offer goods with a "60% off" tag with a price which is invariably higher than the retail price in a regular goods store, hence the reason why yer man in the shop is only too happy to chuck a heap of coupons at you with a big wink acting like he's doing you a favour. The Tefal one being the latest, check the price of the grill fry pan in the goods store versus Supervalu, the rest of them are the same...pure con job.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/frying-pans/tefal-specifics-grill-pan-26cm/invt/012636

https://supervalu.ie/offers/tefal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm not sure where the adulation for Supervalu is coming from, aside from the fact that their stores are sh*te, understaffed and overpriced I've always found the rewards/offers to be the greatest load of bollox...they offer goods with a "60% off" tag with a price which is invariably higher than the retail price in a regular goods store, hence the reason why yer man in the shop is only too happy to chuck a heap of coupons at you with a big wink acting like he's doing you a favour. The Tefal one being the latest, check the price of the grill fry pan in the goods store versus Supervalu, the rest of them are the same...pure con job.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/frying-pans/tefal-specifics-grill-pan-26cm/invt/012636

https://supervalu.ie/offers/tefal

I'm not sure where the stinge is, Supervalu are a convenience shop so they're always going to be more expensive. Oh, and you're probably better comparing like with like, sure the €99 is probably pushing it but it's €69.99 here
    http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/frying-pans/tefal-preference-pro-grill-pan/invt/055125

I'm not sure where the stinge is, Supervalu are a convenience shop so they're always going to be more expensive. Oh, and you're probably better comparing like with like, sure the €99 is probably pushing it but it's €69.99 here
    http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/frying-pans/tefal-preference-pro-grill-pan/invt/055125

That's not the same pan...that's the pro grill, check the handles. I know my pans :)

That's not the same pan...that's the pro grill, check the handles. I know my pans :)

Yes the handles are different but the Supervalu range has Pro in the title too, suggesting it's more expensive than the one you linked and closer to the one I linked.

yeah the tefal SV ones are the "pro style induction" ones

yeah the tefal SV ones are the "pro style induction" ones

The Supervalu website says they're exclusive to them so Tefal might have changed the handles for the promotion.

Yes the handles are different but the Supervalu range has Pro in the title too, suggesting it's more expensive than the one you linked and closer to the one I linked.

Eh? You said compare like with like which it isn't.

Before entering into Tefal pan wars, both of you do some searching, they are different. Supervalu are selling the cheaper versions which are available cheaper or just as cheap...almost everywhere. Keep saving those coupons if ye like and get yourself good and rode, whatever rocks your boat on a bank holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Some people are far too pandantic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Lamb o' Jaysus.

More stinge stories!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Panthro wrote: »
    Some people are far too pandantic ...

It's a pandemic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Give it a rest lads, no more off topic posts please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Me Maaa used to work in an electronics shop and our neighbor used to come in with list of bits and bobs (less than 20euros worth) and he'd ask them to order the bits for him off their suppliers so he wouldn'thave to pay any post n packaging charges.
    Thought it was a bit tight.
    There was also a funeral on during the week, free bar after. Guess who was in the pub at 11.50am (same man never in the pub from one week to the next...didnt even go to the funeral mass!) ordering himself a brandy.
    (The bar was free for those wanting tea and sambos so the tight focker ended up having to pay!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Panthro wrote: »
    Me Maaa used to work in an electronics shop and our neighbor used to come in with list of bits and bobs (less than 20euros worth) and he'd ask them to order the bits for him off their suppliers so he wouldn'thave to pay any post n packaging charges.
    Thought it was a bit tight.
    I would have done the same - wasn't all that long ago, too. Suppliers in Dublin seemed to have a blind spot when it came to sending small parts outside the city, often quoting stupid handling and postage costs.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

My old employers were... Cost effective people. I'm all for reusing some items, but when it comes down to reusing paper cups, teabags and postage stamps (yes, postage stamps were reused constantly) that's just the height of stingy. Beyond stingy is reusing bandages and is just downright foul :eek:

As one person described them "They count the pennies and throw away the pounds"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

ComfortKid wrote: »
    After taking some cocaine, my pal used to blow his nose into his hands and eat the snots as not to waste any coke

HAHAHHAAAHAH, brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My old employers were... Cost effective people. I'm all for reusing some items, but when it comes down to reusing paper cups, teabags and postage stamps (yes, postage stamps were reused constantly) that's just the height of stingy. Beyond stingy is reusing bandages and is just downright foul :eek:
    As one person described them "They count the pennies and throw away the pounds"

Wha?
    I reuse paper cups, depending if it's the same liquid.
    Also reusing stamps is a no-brainer. You don't throw 70c into the bin do you?
    Teabags, meh.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

At a house party donkeys years ago and a group of the guys who were there had bought a bag of weed to share between them. There were 4 of them who chipped in about €20 each, and then there was one guy who asked if they could just throw him enough for a joint or two, and gave them a fiver. That was fair enough, the 4 of them rolled their doobs and went outside to smoke them, said to the other guy to roll himself one or two, and then they'd divide the rest between the other 4 after that.

Well this guy rolled the biggest fattest joints ever, he really packed them. I'd say what he put into those 2 joints would have easily done 5 or 6 decent ones. He then swiftly buggered off home before the other guys came back in and realised how much he'd taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

cbyrd wrote: »
    You could just say no...?

Yes I could just have said no. That would have instigated a shift in the space time continuum and after a flash of white light would have ended up being jolted a few minutes into the past. Just enough to effect a change in events. I would have gone to a completely different cashier and our paths would never have crossed. She never would have asked for my club card points and I would never have made a post about it here. I can see how I cause these miserly events by condoning them in the first place and I'm totally in the wrong. I didn't realize how much I influence people to behave in a miserly-like fashion and I promise to be more mindful of my behavior in public in future.
    kylith wrote: »
    Sometimes when I'm in Tesco I'll ask the person in front of or behind me if the want the points since I don't have a clubcard. What does that make me!? A huge philanthropist?

Utterly commendable no doubt. However I'd advise against you advertising you do such on here as I sense there one or two people who would consider relocating and stalking you to take advantage of your unbounded generosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

colossus-x wrote: »
    Yes I could just have said no. That would have instigated ................. relocating and stalking you to take advantage of your unbounded generosity.

Jesus mate, give it a break...please.

More stinge, less whinge. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

snubbleste wrote: »
    Wha?
    I reuse paper cups, depending if it's the same liquid.
    Also reusing stamps is a no-brainer. You don't throw 70c into the bin do you?
    Teabags, meh.

Perhaps I should have clarified... Reusing paper cups for the week (usually for most of the weekdays), to the point the cup is almost in tatters, either tea or coffee in it didn't matter. I couldn't see myself reusing stamps, I guess it depends on the person. Teabags would do the whole day and several tattered cups, so needless to say I never had tea while I was there.

Forgot to mention they reused bin bags and any rips were taped up with packaging tape from boxes that came into them. Food and all sorts chucked into he bin. The smell was just unbearable :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

We were doing rounds one day in our local and the four of us were drinking cider as it was a roasting day. Obviously the stinge kept quiet when it was his round and I had to remind him. He gets up and we all could see he wasn't happy. Anyway he comes back with one large bottle for himself and said he'll bring the others in now. He brought out three pint glasses for us filled to the brim with ice and about three quarters full with cider. The miserable fecker bought one large bottle between the three of us and bought a large bottle for himself. we asked him where are our bottles? The stinge said he poured them into the glass for us. Rounds quickly stopped then.

Another time he asked me to buy him a bottle of coke because he didn't want to break a 20.

He got barred from a night club for robbing people's drinks as too mean to buy his own.

This a guy who lives at home with the parents at 31 with a decent job in I.T. Gets his meals, rent, bills all paid for the by parents. Stinge of the highest order.

Advertisement