Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Perhaps I should have clarified... Reusing paper cups for the week (usually for most of the weekdays), to the point the cup is almost in tatters, either tea or coffee in it didn't matter. I couldn't see myself reusing stamps, I guess it depends on the person. Teabags would do the whole day and several tattered cups, so needless to say I never had tea while I was there.

Forgot to mention they reused bin bags and any rips were taped up with packaging tape from boxes that came into them. Food and all sorts chucked into he bin. The smell was just unbearable :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bet they re-used the lavvy paper, too. Izal, washed and dried.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

There's one miserable fùcker out my way and no matter what gaff party he comes to he won't bring drink, he'll drink everyone else's, he'll smoke everyone else's cigarettes when he has a box in his back pocket and he definitely won't throw into the taxi fare home.

And when it comes to sharing his class A's he's a whole new level of miserable! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    There's one miserable fùcker out my way and no matter what gaff party he comes to he won't bring drink, he'll drink everyone else's, he'll smoke everyone else's cigarettes when he has a box in his back pocket and he definitely won't throw into the taxi fare home.

And when it comes to sharing his class A's he's a whole new level of miserable! :(

Why is this person invited to anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

P4DDY2K11 wrote:
    And when it comes to sharing his class A's he's a whole new level of miserable!

Sly lines in the jax, I know the type!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Why is this person invited to anything?

He's just that lad that always ends up at the session, I'm sure you know a few yourself haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Red Kev wrote: »
    Jesus mate, give it a break...please.

More stinge, less whinge. :-)

If you were keeping up and it seems you haven't , that post was in reply to a question directed at me ? Was it not ? You seem to be insinuating I've been harping on about something. I haven't. I'm only replying to the posts that were directed at me. I will continue to reply to posts directed at me. Like yours. It's a pity that you didn't notice that it was people whinging at my singe story that kicked it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

colossus-x wrote: »
    If you were keeping up and it seems you haven't , that post was in reply to a question directed at me ? Was it not ? You seem to be insinuating I've been harping on about something. I haven't. I'm only replying to the posts that were directed at me. I will continue to reply to posts directed at me. Like yours. It's a pity that you didn't notice that it was people whinging at my singe story that kicked it off.

A wise woman named Idina Menzel once said, "Let it go".

My housemate was giving out that I use the washing machine at least once a week. I explained I had to wash both clothes and sheets. I then got a big lecture about how bedsheets are good for at least 6 months and clothes last longer if you space out the wearing. Socks for a week and underwear for 3 days. All to save on the use of the washing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Bedsheets for six months?

You can bet he's not getting any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Bedsheets for six months?

You can bet he's not getting any

Bedsheets ever six months nearly made me sick. Thats is not stingy its stinky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod
    Red Kev wrote: »
    Jesus mate, give it a break...please.

More stinge, less whinge. :-)

If you've an issue with a post, hit report, otherwise this happens:
    colossus-x wrote: »

Alright, that's enough, it's dragging the thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Don't u mean Adele dazeem!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I then got a big lecture about how bedsheets are good for at least 6 months and clothes last longer if you space out the wearing. Socks for a week and underwear for 3 days. All to save on the use of the washing machine.

What a mingin' sod.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My housemate was giving out that I use the washing machine at least once a week. I explained I had to wash both clothes and sheets. I then got a big lecture about how bedsheets are good for at least 6 months and clothes last longer if you space out the wearing. Socks for a week and underwear for 3 days. All to save on the use of the washing machine.

I knew a guy who only washed his bedsheets every 6 months, but it wasn't stinginess with the washing machine, he was just a complete dirt bird. The stingy bit was when he eventually did have to get rid of the sheet (it had practically sprouted legs and walked off the bed) he never bothered getting a new one, he just slept on the mattress. It was a rented house and he was renting with a few friends on a joint lease, and because he was such a manky bastard they didn't get the deposit back when they moved out - the landlord had to replace the mattress and also had to have his room professionally cleaned to get the smell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Toots wrote: »
    I knew a guy who only washed his bedsheets every 6 months, but it wasn't stinginess with the washing machine, he was just a complete dirt bird. The stingy bit was when he eventually did have to get rid of the sheet (it had practically sprouted legs and walked off the bed) he never bothered getting a new one, he just slept on the mattress. It was a rented house and he was renting with a few friends on a joint lease, and because he was such a manky bastard they didn't get the deposit back when they moved out - the landlord had to replace the mattress and also had to have his room professionally cleaned to get the smell out.

I think I need to be professionally cleaned just reading about it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

catsbanter wrote: »
    The stinge said he poured them into the glass for us. Rounds quickly stopped then.

Why include him in the round in the first place, or even invite the wee c*nt out drinking to begin with? Surely ye know by now what he's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Let me introduce Captain stingeball (A friends husband, who on numerous occasions has turned up to house parties with his wife empty handed, or she will have a bring a bottle of wine, but he will head straight for the beer!)

Anyway group of us were out for a meal at a Thai restaurant, the bill came and it worked out at roughly 30 quid a head (including a tip) He was slightly reluctant about the tip, but I nipped that one in the bud straight away!! Anyway everyone pitched in (probably about 8 / 10 of us on the table) and the waitress brought back the wallet / bill holder thing which had the price of the bill deducted and the tip left as change, as I don’t think the waiter realised we were leaving the money as a tip.
    So I immediately called the waiter back and gave him the notes (probably 20/30£, cant quite remember) but he was very thankful to us all and he left happy.

Captain stingeball nudges me and points at a 20p that was left in the bill holder/wallet thing and says “Are you not going to call him back and give him that too?” to which I shrugged and laughed and closed the wallet and pushed it into the middle of the table.
    While we were all putting on our coats and leaving the table he picked up the wallet and rolled the 20p out of it into his wifes handbag that was on the table………F***ING MISERABLE STINGEY MUDERF***ER!!

I couldn’t let it pass and said to him on the way out “Oh were you taking that 20p to make sure the waiter got it?” but he just shrugged and let it pass over him, like only a seasoned stinge knows how.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh, why were you tipping at all :confused:
    Where's the stinge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

He was slightly reluctant about the tip, but I nipped that one in the bud straight away!!

Hate this with a passion, if you want to tip work away but forcing or embarrassing someone into tipping is unacceptable.

Pay more then double for a bottle of and then you want me to tip 10-15 % on top of that because they didnt fall over when bringing out the bottle ? I dont think so !!

Late one night in a chipper after a night club, chatting to a mate and left one of my pizza slices (in a sleeve) on the table beside as I chatted to a mate. Next thing this loon comes up feels the pizza slice on the table and then picks it up, I ask him what hes up to and he apologises and said he thought it was left over.

I gave it to him anyway as he had pawed it, never seen anything like that even while in college and we were hard up. Eating scraps in a takeaway , plenty of money for a night club and pints though. Classy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

gucci wrote: »
    Let me introduce Captain stingeball (A friends husband, who on numerous occasions has turned up to house parties with his wife empty handed, or she will have a bring a bottle of wine, but he will head straight for the beer!)

Anyway group of us were out for a meal at a Thai restaurant, the bill came and it worked out at roughly 30 quid a head (including a tip) He was slightly reluctant about the tip, but I nipped that one in the bud straight away!! Anyway everyone pitched in (probably about 8 / 10 of us on the table) and the waitress brought back the wallet / bill holder thing which had the price of the bill deducted and the tip left as change, as I don’t think the waiter realised we were leaving the money as a tip.
    So I immediately called the waiter back and gave him the notes (probably 20/30£, cant quite remember) but he was very thankful to us all and he left happy.

Captain stingeball nudges me and points at a 20p that was left in the bill holder/wallet thing and says “Are you not going to call him back and give him that too?” to which I shrugged and laughed and closed the wallet and pushed it into the middle of the table.
    While we were all putting on our coats and leaving the table he picked up the wallet and rolled the 20p out of it into his wifes handbag that was on the table………F***ING MISERABLE STINGEY MUDERF***ER!!

I couldn’t let it pass and said to him on the way out “Oh were you taking that 20p to make sure the waiter got it?” but he just shrugged and let it pass over him, like only a seasoned stinge knows how.

God aren't you awful generous tipping waiters with other peoples money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just reading your username and the name of the guy in the story you quoted...hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Yeah I know, it makes me feel like a big man actually.

FWIW excellent service, making room for our large party in a very busy restaurant, excellent food, managing a crowd of slightly inebriated morons (I am including myself in that category for the night in question) was deemed acceptable to all the other guests in the party to leave a tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gucci wrote: »
    Yeah I know, it makes me feel like a big man actually.

FWIW excellent service, making room for our large party in a very busy restaurant, excellent food, managing a crowd of slightly inebriated morons (I am including myself in that category for the night in question) was deemed acceptable to all the other guests in the party to leave a tip.

Tipping is a personal matter, I'd call someone out on not tipping but if they explained they don't believe in it or never give more than x% that's fine. The only thing I would consider stinge in a situation like that is if used your tip to cover themselves, or brought down the tip to a lower amount and pocketed the coins.

Forcing someone into it isn't the right way to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

A lot of restaurants I seem to end up in
    An optional 12.5% gratuity will be added to your bill.
    Surely hiding a 12.5% price increase is pretty stingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Irish Halo wrote: »

Not as stingy as TGI's with there "service charge"... always invokes the stinge in me and i dont tip as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not as stingy as TGI's with there "service charge"... always invokes the stinge in me and i dont tip as a result.

I'd see that as a mandatory tip and I wouldn't leave anything extra either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I knew someone who "borrowed" a friends jump starter. One of those yellow, slightly heavy boxes from Aldi or some such. He used it to start his car each morning because the battery was no longer holding charge.

For a year and a half..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I was in some restaurant there recently where there was a service charge on the bill and when they handed me the card reader doohickey they had it set to the "would you like to add a gratuity?" screen. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but it seemed awfully like they were asking for a second tip on top of the service charge. I felt I was already paying a tip so I stinged out of the one on the card reader.

Was I being unreasonable/stingey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Never seen an 'optional gratuity'. It's normally either mandatory or completely optional (i.e. not attached to the bill). I tip about 10%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

isnt that usual for groups

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

check_six wrote: »
    I was in some restaurant there recently where there was a service charge on the bill and when they handed me the card reader doohickey they had it set to the "would you like to add a gratuity?" screen. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but it seemed awfully like they were asking for a second tip on top of the service charge. I felt I was already paying a tip so I stinged out of the one on the card reader.

Was I being unreasonable/stingey?

no perfectly reasonable.
    I have encountered that before and queried the service charge and the request for tips. I was met with mumbling...
    It's a pisser cos it put as bad end to what could have been a nice meal.

Advertisement