Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭trellheim

Optional Grat is just that and has become a lot more noticed in London recently You can cheerfully ask for it to be removed. Mandatory service charges as long as they are on the bill of fare are fine too . Their presence usually exempts you from a tip ( in Ireland and UK anyway )

USA normally knocks in about 15-20% on the precalculated tip but their its less of a tip. This particular discussion is very country specific and always leads to heated discussion

if the restaurant was Irish a pooled tip should be 10% from everyone (12.5 is pisstaking ). . I'd view it as complete stingeballs if there wasn't that amount coughed into the pot unless the service was ****e, as tables over 4-6 are a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Question for anyone working in the service industry. Do restaurants that include a service charge/gratuity in the bill really give it to the staff? I've always been very suspicious of establishments that include these charges.

I'm happy to tip unless i see 'Service Charge' on my bill, and I'd hate to think of owners/management pocketing money that should be going to the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

8 Pages of the Thread have been pretty stingy with the worthy stories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Theres an app called Reep Rewards where you get money for taking pictures of receipts. I know a fella who will go to tesco once a day and buy several small items and pay for them individually. He also picks up any receipts that arent his either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

John_D80 wrote: »
    Question for anyone working in the service industry. Do restaurants that include a service charge/gratuity in the bill really give it to the staff? I've always been very suspicious of establishments that include these charges.

I'm happy to tip unless i see 'Service Charge' on my bill, and I'd hate to think of owners/management pocketing money that should be going to the staff.

If they give it to the staff, wouldn't they have to pay tax on it?

Here's a reminder to everyone, if I'm serving them, I'm more than willing to accept cash as a tip. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Theres an app called Reep Rewards where you get money for taking pictures of receipts. I know a fella who will go to tesco once a day and buy several small items and pay for them individually. He also picks up any receipts that arent his either
    Where's the stinge?
    It's a cashback site that rewards you for receipts. If someone wants to do that, then fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Late one night in a chipper after a night club, chatting to a mate and left one of my pizza slices (in a sleeve) on the table beside as I chatted to a mate. Next thing this loon comes up feels the pizza slice on the table and then picks it up, I ask him what hes up to and he apologises and said he thought it was left over.

I gave it to him anyway as he had pawed it, never seen anything like that even while in college and we were hard up. Eating scraps in a takeaway , plenty of money for a night club and pints though. Classy ![/QUOTE]

Reminds me of something similar that happened to me a few weeks ago in the local. I was sitting at the bar minding my own business watching some GAA match on the TV. This nationally known singer was sitting beside me, we werent in the same company. I didnt acknowledge him and he didnt acknowledge me. I had a few pints on board, wasnt drunk, but happy in my own head.
    From time to time, this bar would give out free plates of sambos to regulars to have a munch. Anyway, this plate of sambos landed up in front of me on the bar. feeling peckish, I took one (I took the biggest one). Your man beside me gives me a "what the fcuk?" look. Thinking nothing of it, I told him to work away pointing at the sambos, I turned back to watch the GAA match.
    'Twasnt til about 5 mins later when I saw no plates of sambos being given out and your man with his arm protectively around the plate on the bar, that i realised he had ordered the sambos for himself! I was too embarassed to say anything to him at that stage, so I just left it off!
    I know this wasnt a stinge story per say, totally innocent on my part in fact, and I know I should have tried to explain the misunderstanding to him, but the moment was gone and I wanted to pretend it never happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

This nationally known singer was sitting beside me, we werent in the same company.

We demand a name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

This nationally known singer was sitting beside me, we werent in the same company.

We demand a name!

Nah, I'm embarrassed enough about it than to be giving any more information than I have to! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We occasionally go to a local pub for a few sundowners early on a Friday, we usually end up in a group chatting with the owner and a couple of his friends.

They usually put a few free sausages, chips, goujons etc. on the bar for the regulars and he was saying that there are more than a few people who wait outside, sneak in with an empty glass, sit at a quiet table and then descend on the free food like wolverines the minute it's placed out. Many times they actually try to take the full baskets away with them or even try to intercept the staff bringing it out.

These wouldn't be homeless or destitute people either. Most are known to the staff and are working, have their own houses etc. Just scabby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i have netflix that i pay for.

My son spends some time in his mam's and will watch my netflix account while there and this is fine.

Found out the other day her fella was watching my netflix. My son was staying with me so it defo wasn't him but on his device in her house.
    Stingy fcuker, full time job in a bank and all that jazz.

In the past my ex has said they werent paying for netflix when my son asked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

A family friend came to stay in our house with her husband and kids, and while they were up we all went to another friends house for dinner. The husband was on a diet and turned up with food for himself...and nothing else. No wine or a dessert or something small as a thank you for the fact that the host had been preparing food for the rest of his family all day (she has kids of her own too so it's not like she wouldn't be busy). Very odd that neither he or his wife thought to bring something. He even made a joke about his diet food being "the new wine".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

We demand a name!

Bruce Springsteen later arrived and paid for everybody's sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We occasionally go to a local pub for a few sundowners early on a Friday, we usually end up in a group chatting with the owner and a couple of his friends.

They usually put a few free sausages, chips, goujons etc. on the bar for the regulars and he was saying that there are more than a few people who wait outside, sneak in with an empty glass, sit at a quiet table and then descend on the free food like wolverines the minute it's placed out. Many times they actually try to take the full baskets away with them or even try to intercept the staff bringing it out.

These wouldn't be homeless or destitute people either. Most are known to the staff and are working, have their own houses etc. Just scabby.

Great thread on the Galway forum a few years back where a guy travelled from Mayo to Galway to avail of rumoured free food while a game was on, and lost it with the bar after the free food didn't materialize - despite only having purchased a Mi-Wadi which he had a major issue with paying €1 for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

duchalla wrote: »
    Reminds me of something similar that happened to me a few weeks ago in the local. I was sitting at the bar minding my own business watching some GAA match on the TV. This nationally known singer was sitting beside me, we werent in the same company. I didnt acknowledge him and he didnt acknowledge me. I had a few pints on board, wasnt drunk, but happy in my own head.
    From time to time, this bar would give out free plates of sambos to regulars to have a munch. Anyway, this plate of sambos landed up in front of me on the bar. feeling peckish, I took one (I took the biggest one). Your man beside me gives me a "what the fcuk?" look. Thinking nothing of it, I told him to work away pointing at the sambos, I turned back to watch the GAA match.
    'Twasnt til about 5 mins later when I saw no plates of sambos being given out and your man with his arm protectively around the plate on the bar, that i realised he had ordered the sambos for himself! I was too embarassed to say anything to him at that stage, so I just left it off!
    I know this wasnt a stinge story per say, totally innocent on my part in fact, and I know I should have tried to explain the misunderstanding to him, but the moment was gone and I wanted to pretend it never happened!

"Majella my honey bunny, do you see this wee stingy ****tard beside me. You'll never guess what he's just done the rascal of a rampant rabbit he's only gone and eaten my ham and cheese toastie Majella will you do somthin my sunflower petal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I had to buy a new pair of trainers yesterday in Schuh. My old ones were so old and tatty that I put the new ones on and the old ones into a bag. I still had things to do in town and carrying around a bag of old shoes would be a pain in the ar$e. I didn't want to be the scummy stinge who crams their rubbish into the street bins so I had a brainwave.

When I was locking my bike outside the shopping centre, I deliberately left the shoe bag on the handle bars. I went in and did my bits and was gone about half an hour. When I came back out, low and behold the bag had disappeared from my bike.

The Schuh bags are quite smart, so they probably though they were in for a treat. I would love to have seen their face when they got home and pulled out my smelly, disgusting old trainers :pac:

Not only did they get rid of a problem for me but they made it their own problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I had to buy a new pair of trainers yesterday in Schuh. My old ones were so old and tatty that I put the new ones on and the old ones into a bag. I still had things to do in town and carrying around a bag of old shoes would be a pain in the ar$e. I didn't want to be the scummy stinge who crams their rubbish into the street bins so I had a brainwave.

When I was locking my bike outside the shopping centre, I deliberately left the shoe bag on the handle bars. I went in and did my bits and was gone about half an hour. When I came back out, low and behold the bag had disappeared from my bike.

The Schuh bags are quite smart, so they probably though they were in for a treat. I would love to have seen their face when they got home and pulled out my smelly, disgusting old trainers :pac:

Not only did they get rid of a problem for me but they made it their own problem :D

Would I be too much of a killjoy to point out that the person who knicked your dodgy footwear probably won't be too concerned about putting them into a street bin or perhaps more likely dumping them in a gutter somewhere?*

* I did smile at the story though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Clearlier wrote: »
    Would I be too much of a killjoy to point out that the person who knicked your dodgy footwear probably won't be too concerned about putting them into a street bin or perhaps more likely dumping them in a gutter somewhere?*

* I did smile at the story though
    I thought about that but I didn't see a Schuh bag or the trainers anywhere in the area. I reckon they took the bag and didn't look in it until they were in their car or on a bus. It was also miserable yesterday, so they probably high tailed it asap. I know I was rushing everywhere just to get home where it's warm and dry.

If they had any cop, they'd have looked in the bag before they took it but they were probably convinced that who ever left it was a fool and they were the smart ones for finding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

duchalla wrote: »

Cheers - that gave me a laugh on a very bleak Thursday afternoon.

I automatically pictured Daniel O'Donnell as the mystery protagonist in your story but now not so sure......please say it's Bono (or Paddy Casey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Paddy Cow wrote: »

:pac: pretty good but... I normally just ask the store to dispose of my old runners. Did this in Schuh also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

Toots wrote: »
    I knew a guy who only washed his bedsheets every 6 months, but it wasn't stinginess with the washing machine, he was just a complete dirt bird. The stingy bit was when he eventually did have to get rid of the sheet (it had practically sprouted legs and walked off the bed) he never bothered getting a new one, he just slept on the mattress. It was a rented house and he was renting with a few friends on a joint lease, and because he was such a manky bastard they didn't get the deposit back when they moved out - the landlord had to replace the mattress and also had to have his room professionally cleaned to get the smell out.

A guy I lived with didn't change his boxers or t shirt in six months, rarely washed jeans and jumpers. Although he showered every day his room smelt like a sewer and when he sat down beside ya you could get the stench of arse from him and sometimes a pissy smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

catsbanter wrote: »
    A guy I lived with didn't change his boxers or t shirt in six months, rarely washed jeans and jumpers. Although he showered every day his room smelt like a sewer and when he sat down beside ya you could get the stench of arse from him and sometimes a pissy smell.

But other than that, he was a charming dinner companion and a very genial host.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rebellion

its the worst trait in a person, meanness is bloody awful, like drying tea bags and freezing bread, woeful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rebellion

i worked with a guy who was burning used engine oil until he was caught, sometimes meanness comes back to bite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Rebellion wrote: »
    its the worst trait in a person, meanness is bloody awful, like drying tea bags and freezing bread, woeful stuff.

freezing bread is far from stingy

how many people would be able for a loaf on their own, in the 3/4 days that the loaf lasts ? I freeze more than half the loaf, and then when I need more bread I just take it out the day before, or defrost it in the microwave/toaster if I needed a lot of bread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There appears to be confusion between
    STINGY: not given or giving willingly; not generous, especially with money
    and
    FRUGAL: Sparing as regards money or food; simple, plain and costing little

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Rebellion wrote: »
    Ah here, freezing bread is just handy. I'd always have a loaf in the freezer in case I'm making packed lunch for my hubby and/or son for the next morning and I run out of bread or the bread is mouldy or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

We demand a name!
    Well, it wasn't Garth Brooks anyway; he'd have welcomed the chance.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

freezing bread is far from stingy

how many people would be able for a loaf on their own, in the 3/4 days that the loaf lasts ? I freeze more than half the loaf, and then when I need more bread I just take it out the day before, or defrost it in the microwave/toaster if I needed a lot of bread

Exactly so; a useful tip I was given was to divvy the loaf into daily useage and freeze those in bags. Works fine, but some cheap bread doesn't like it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Well, it wasn't Garth Brooks anyway; he'd have welcomed the chance.

Trust me, you would NOT want to be the man to reduce his sandwich allocator from say, 5 down to 3. He demanded 5 god damn it! :mad:

Advertisement