Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jaysus.

I have a few pairs of shoes and boots etc up for sale on Adverts, worn but in good condition. Clearly marked collection only, no postage.

Someone has asked for a pair that I've marked €2 and another pair marked €3. What's the best price I can offer her for both, including postage.

If someone asked to collect them for free, I'd go for it just to get rid of them. But like feck am I going to all the effort to parcel them up and bring them to the post office and sort out transferring money etc, for the sake of less than a fiver!

Would you not just give them to charity? Bit stingy going through all that for €2 or €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

eternal wrote: »
    Could have been homeless maybe? Buy him a cup of tea next time :)

At Caffe Nero prices he can fcuking jog on.

He's definitely not homeless. Just clearly one of life's ultimate misers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Birneybau wrote: »
    Would you not just give them to charity? Bit stingy going through all that for €2 or €3.

Nah I've a big huge bundle of shoes all up together for €50 or something, there's loads in it, loads barely worn.

I just put up individual prices for each because OF COURSE you're going to get people like her coming along only wanting a pair or two.

I'm moving house shortly anyways so will be giving the whole lot away for free to whoever wants it, or to a charity shop, or whatever. Just the idea of quibbling over shoes that are going for so cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

gctest50 wrote: »
    illegal without a licence

Up to €3000 fine or 12 months inprisonment

http://southernwasteregion.ie/sites/default/files/EPA%20Oil%20Waste%20Advert%20A3A.pdf

Ah; there's nothing like the warm glow of grassing up the neighbours, eh?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,459 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jaysus.

I have a few pairs of shoes and boots etc up for sale on Adverts, worn but in good condition. Clearly marked collection only, no postage.

Someone has asked for a pair that I've marked €2 and another pair marked €3. What's the best price I can offer her for both, including postage.

If someone asked to collect them for free, I'd go for it just to get rid of them. But like feck am I going to all the effort to parcel them up and bring them to the post office and sort out transferring money etc, for the sake of less than a fiver!
    €25!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nah I've a big huge bundle of shoes all up together for €50 or something, there's loads in it, loads barely worn.

I just put up individual prices for each because OF COURSE you're going to get people like her coming along only wanting a pair or two.

I'm moving house shortly anyways so will be giving the whole lot away for free to whoever wants it, or to a charity shop, or whatever. Just the idea of quibbling over shoes that are going for so cheap!

Selling used fckin shoes sounds pretty scroogey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Jaysus.

This reminds of a guy I know who used to sell his used shoes and boots on adverts for 2 or 3 euro. What a stingy bastard.

It's not that weird actually, I know loads of people who buy and sell shoes and shoes online.

These aren't shoes that would have been worn much, they'd be in pretty much perfect condition.

I don't think I've ever actually sold a pair, I'm doing a big clear-out at the moment, so everything will end up going to charity. I'm hardly doing it to make a profit. It's just that putting a small nominal value on these things tends to weed out timewasters.

To be honest, I'd have no problem buying and wearing secondhand shoes myself, so long as they were in decent condition. The majority of my sons clothes and shoes are secondhand but in good condition. Maybe I'm stingey ... I just don't see the point in throwing perfectly good things in the bin when there's still plenty of use left in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would rather buy someones used coffin than used shoes, it's just out and out minging wearing used shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I have an antique cabinet I put up on adverts for free. Got loads of interest straight away. One couple said they had a van and could collect that afternoon. They show up in a 7 seater car, and take the top half of the cabinet and said they'd come back for the other half, but they'd bring a van because it was too wide for their car.

I got a message off them when they left to say I can just get rid of the other half, they don't want it but are keeping the top part and not bringing it back. They couldn't understand that other people were interested in it, and it was no use to them in half. Is that ridiculous or am I just crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That's ridiculous!! Why not crop the picture of just the top half and put up an advert for the top with their number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I have an antique cabinet I put up on adverts for free. Got loads of interest straight away. One couple said they had a van and could collect that afternoon. They show up in a 7 seater car, and take the top half of the cabinet and said they'd come back for the other half, but they'd bring a van because it was too wide for their car.

I got a message off them when they left to say I can just get rid of the other half, they don't want it but are keeping the top part and not bringing it back. They couldn't understand that other people were interested in it, and it was no use to them in half. Is that ridiculous or am I just crazy?

this is a lesson why you never give anything away to people you don't know, you will just have the lowest of the low calling to your house, maybe even rich people who are too mean to pay for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

PandaPoo wrote: »

Did they at least pay??

I would rather buy someones used coffin than used shoes, it's just out and out minging wearing used shoes.

I'm not talking about sweaty old runners, more like nice heels that I might have worn once for a couple of hours and never again, so they'd still be in perfect condition. It would seem such a waste to just bin them, just because they didn't suit me for whatever reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Kovu wrote: »
    Did they at least pay??

Did you miss the bit where it said FOR FREE?

eternal wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit where it said FOR FREE?

Yes! Sorry, was skimming :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Sorry for shouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Taking someones phone when they go to the toilet in a pub to download an app that gives you a code to get a free pint on a beer promotion.

Why not just ask ?

Hate miserable hungry feckers.

I'm not talking about sweaty old runners, more like nice heels that I might have worn once for a couple of hours and never again, so they'd still be in perfect condition. It would seem such a waste to just bin them, just because they didn't suit me for whatever reason.

you could get verrucas and god knows what else:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

After a lifetime of wearing second hand shoes i have never ever had a veruca or any sort of problem! I refuse to spend more than 15e on new shoes (except my skechers walking shoes that i wear daily, which are ~€60) But i don't deny that I'm a stinge for shoes, i just can't justify spending more than that for shoes i don't get much use out of!

• Advertisement

You could from the multiple people that try the shoes on in the shop before you, too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I used to buy used Dutch para boots for bike wear. Never bothered me in the slightest. In fact, I found a pair a few weeks ago that only needed re-soled (after being forgotten about for a decade and the original re-soles had failed) and got them done. They're still perfect for summertime back-road motorcycling.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

rawn wrote: »
    After a lifetime of wearing second hand shoes i have never ever had a veruca or any sort of problem! I refuse to spend more than 15e on new shoes (except my skechers walking shoes that i wear daily, which are ~€60) But i don't deny that I'm a stinge for shoes, i just can't justify spending more than that for shoes i don't get much use out of!

what kind of shoes would you get for 15 euro? those blue clown shoes lidl sell. did you never hear the saying you should always have a good pair of shoes and a good mattress. its the same with football boots, I would only get the best pair I could,I used to buy predators for 200 euro, no point buying a pair for 30 euro, they will be no where near as good.

what kind of shoes would you get for 15 euro? those blue clown shoes lidl sell. did you never hear the saying you should always have a good pair of shoes and a good mattress. its the same with football boots, I would only get the best pair I could,I used to buy predators for 200 euro, no point buying a pair for 30 euro, they will be no where near as good.

Ah now, each to their own when buying clothes or shoes, I don't think it's fair to criticise someone because they choose to spend less than others. I've often picked up shoes in sales for €10 or less and they'd originally be over €50/60. I wouldn't be adverse to buying them in second hand stores either, I still have a pair of knee high Buffalo boots that still had the tag on them which I got for €4 three years ago.

There's a difference between buying Predators for a specific thing like football, where they're geared and manufactured to enhance your productivity and shoes to potter about the house or farm (in my case) in.

I always buy in sales, second hand shops or in Penneys. But that would be shoes like high heels or nice shoes that I would rarely wear, whereas my daily shoes would be Skechers cos they're so comfy. I could never, ever pay €200 for any item of clothing! Seems such a waste. I'm pretty sure my wedding dress would cost less than €100 when I get down to it ;) after all, I'll only wear it once!

Although, I've been tying with the idea of getting a really simple, short wedding dress that I can dye purple or something and wear again... is that super stingey? :o

I always buy in sales, second hand shops or in Penneys. But that would be shoes like high heels or nice shoes that I would rarely wear, whereas my daily shoes would be Skechers cos they're so comfy. I could never, ever pay €200 for any item of clothing! Seems such a waste. I'm pretty sure my wedding dress would cost less than €100 when I get down to it ;) after all, I'll only wear it once!

Although, I've been tying with the idea of getting a really simple, short wedding dress that I can dye purple or something and wear again... is that super stingey? :o

sometimes you really do pay for what you get, I have worn 50 euro boots during a match, I may as well have played in my bare feet.

ah maybe,do you look at this tread for tips? , my sister paid 3,000 for her wedding dress. clothes is something I always get the best in if i can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

My cousin lives in Spain and came home for a holiday, and she ended up picking up a dress in a thrift shop for €50 and deciding she was getting married in it. She did and all.

I got a pair of second hand shoes for €20 on Adverts about two years ago, after wearing them to school for two years, farming, nights out and general wear someone in FootLocker commented on the quality of them yesterday. Aside from the heel being a little torn they're still perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

200 quid? 200 fcukin quid for a pair of fcukin football boots? I've bought cars for less than that!:eek: :pac:

I play 5 a side on all weather pitches. I've had the expensive boots, and I've had the cheap boots.

I'm still crap either way, so the cheap ones are fine! :D

sometimes you really do pay for what you get, I have worn 50 euro boots during a match, I may as well have played in my bare feet.

ah maybe,do you look at this tread for tips? , my sister paid 3,000 for her wedding dress. clothes is something I always get the best in if i can.

My entire wedding will cost less that that (hopefully). In fact I'll share my wedding plans when I have time to type it out properly, I'm sure loads of people will call me stingey for what I have planned, a few people give me weird looks when I describe it :D but I'm going stingey on the wedding to splash out on the Lord of the Rings tour for our honeymoon so I really don't care!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Guess Addidas marketing will always catch a few. If dunnes stores had identical boots for 20 quid you would still buy the expensive ones simply because of the brand name and because you see the pros wearing them.

Advertisement