Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Guess Addidas marketing will always catch a few. If dunnes stores had identical boots for 20 quid you would still buy the expensive ones simply because of the brand name and because you see the pros wearing them.

they might look similar but they obviously would not be the same, i take it you never played competitive football?

I have worn both the real and fake predators, the fakes were rubbish. it would be like saying a fiesta is the same as a ferrari.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

they might look similar but they obviously would not be the same, i take it you never played competitive football?

I have actually, as recently as yesterday morning. Your point?

You think your expensive boots make you better?

I wear a pair of Puma boots that I got as a gift, I'd say they're worth about 30 quid. I have no problem with grip or ball control.

Roy Keane wore possibly the cheapest boots out there, Diadorra. Didn't really affect him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

when doing a clear out I always throw stuff up on adverts 5/10 euro and see will I get anything for it. if not off to the charity shop..although ive noticed in the last 12 months things are selling as well. ive also bought things on ebay/ adverts like hairpieces for wedding, Halloween costumes etc.. ive some things that ill stick up near xmas like unwanted purses etc that would make stocking fillers etc.. they can sell its not people been stingy just there are still large numbers of people who cant afford things still

I have actually, as recently as yesterday morning. Your point?

You think your expensive boots make you better?

I wear a pair of Puma boots that I got as a gift, I'd say they're worth about 30 quid. I have no problem with grip or ball control.

sorry I should have said you must not have worn the real predators and the fake predators, if you had you would know the real version are quality boots, the fakes are as much use as a pair of slippers.

now lets stop derailing the thread, i don't think i'm Ronaldo because i wear expensive boots, i was just saying i don't compromise on quality when i buy football boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Guess Addidas marketing will always catch a few. If dunnes stores had identical boots for 20 quid you would still buy the expensive ones simply because of the brand name and because you see the pros wearing them.

Its adidas by the way ya dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stojkovic wrote: »

Well, you are nothing it not true to your word.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

A relation of mine died 2 weeks ago at home in the early hours of the morning, the whole family gathered in the house as soon as they could get there.

Many tears were shed, tea was made and plenty of talking was done. One of my relations sisters who hasn't worked in easily 25 years pipes up "if I get out of here early today I'll fly over the social welfare and see if I'm entitled to a bereavement grant".

My opinion on her has changed drastically since.

Stojkovic wrote:

Wow. Correcting a spelling mistake. Your sentence should be

It's Adidas by the way, you dope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Right, my wedding plans :)

It will take place on my aunts land in the country, we're planning an outdoor wedding. We will get "officially" married in a registry office on say, the Wednesday, with just immediate family. Then we will have a "wedding festival" on the weekend. On our invites, we will ask everyone that in lieu of gifts, we would like everyone to help out how (and if) they can by helping to make the wedding happen, for example, carpenters to help build a stage, chefs help with a BBQ on the day, musicians/DJ's to help with music, electricians, artists etc etc. This will help us to save tons on the wedding. Also, we will supply wine and some other drink but it will be mainly BYOB. There's a hotel down the road (and my aunts house for older family) but the general idea would be for everyone to camp out in tents. The idea is to save on the wedding and spend a ton on the honeymoon. Most of my friends are delighted with the idea but some people think I'm penny-pinching too much haha but I don't care :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

A friend of mine asked if we could put a friend of his up from Holland. We didn't know her from Adam and wondered why she couldn't fork out €15 a night for a hostel but said ok, for two nights. So he also arranged for her to stay with friends of ours for the other two nights of her stay.
    She brought us a packet of stroopwafels (typical Dutch chewy toffee biscuits, cost about €1.50 in a shop) to thank us. We helped ourselves but were taken aback when she took the packet back saying the other half was for the next hosts!

rawn wrote: »

It will take place on my aunts land in the country, we're planning an outdoor wedding. We will get "officially" married in a registry office on say, the Wednesday, with just immediate family. Then we will have a "wedding festival" on the weekend. On our invites, we will ask everyone that in lieu of gifts, we would like everyone to help out how (and if) they can by helping to make the wedding happen, for example, carpenters to help build a stage, chefs help with a BBQ on the day, musicians/DJ's to help with music, electricians, artists etc etc. This will help us to save tons on the wedding. Also, we will supply wine and some other drink but it will be mainly BYOB. There's a hotel down the road (and my aunts house for older family) but the general idea would be for everyone to camp out in tents. The idea is to save on the wedding and spend a ton on the honeymoon. Most of my friends are delighted with the idea but some people think I'm penny-pinching too much haha but I don't care :D

where is the honey moon? mosney? ah no sure why not, sounds like fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

where is the honey moon? mosney? ah no sure why not, sounds like fun.

New Zealand, we want to do the 14 day Lord of the Rings tour. Thanks, we think it will be a great day but I get annoyed looks when I mention camping and BYOB :P

New Zealand, we want to do the 14 day Lord of the Rings tour. Thanks, we think it will be a great day but I get annoyed looks when I mention camping and BYOB :P

I hope its planned for the summer? I wouldn't mind bringing my own beer, sure it will be a cheap day for your guests as well and no one closing the bar at 2.30:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Irish Halo wrote: »
    A lot of restaurants I seem to end up in
    An optional 12.5% gratuity will be added to your bill.
    Surely hiding a 12.5% price increase is pretty stingy?

Would this be given to the staff?

No its not.

Stojkovic wrote:
    No its not.

What's not?

What's not?

Small 'a' dude.

Stojkovic wrote:
    Small 'a' dude.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stop embarrassing yourself.

I took a quick check figuring you were right, but all of their logos use a small 'a' and their website (both when you click into it and on the Google search results) comes up as 'adidas Online' - with the O being capitalised on purpose, but not the A.

Piksi knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

No, that would actually be, "It's Adidas, by the way, you dope".
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I took a quick check figuring you were right, but all of their logos use a small 'a' and their website (both when you click into it and on the Google search results) comes up as 'adidas Online' - with the O being capitalised on purpose, but not the A.

Piksi knows...

Good Grief, they should be shot.

Doesn't matter anyway; at the end of the day, they all stink the same.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Billy86 wrote:
    Piksi knows...

Knows nothing! He came on here to try act the smart man, correcting an obvious typo.Calling me a dope! In the process he spelled 'you' wrong and used no punctuation in the sentence at all.

Adidas may well use the small a in their logo, that's irrelevant. Capital A should be used when writing the sentence above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Whilst working in a Central London busy restaurant over a xmas period where we did a lot of xmas officy type parities , one party organizer asked us to put the drinks on one bill the food on the other. Some people do that rightly of course when the bills are being paid separately but the guy snuck up on me at the end and whispered in my ear "I'm paying the service charge for the food, but not for drinks so take it off". Merry xmas to you too.

Another woman at a larger party I was doing myself maybe about 30 people came in dribs and drabs. The organizer ( prolly the boss ) gave me instructions throughout and ordered food for the latecomers before they arrived. When they arrived I had it ready and slapped it down on front of them almost as soon as the had sat down. The restaurant was huge, was very busy but no delays on that particular table and they got attentive fast service from me throughout. When she came to pay the bill probably on the company card, after serving them for about 3 hours or so, she looked me straight in the eye and without a flicker said "We're not paying the service charge. We know now it works".

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IvanRakitic

When i was in college a mate and i would always go to Costa and they have a loyalty system where you get a card stamped 6 times and your 7th cup of coffee is free or something of that nature. Anyway he drew the stamp symbol and sent it to some company who produced a stamp with this symbol and now he can basically get free coffee whenever he wants.
    Wouldn't classify it as stingy myself but can see how it is considering he is effectively stealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

When i was in college a mate and i would always go to Costa and they have a loyalty system where you get a card stamped 6 times and your 7th cup of coffee is free or something of that nature. Anyway he drew the stamp symbol and sent it to some company who produced a stamp with this symbol and now he can basically get free coffee whenever he wants.
    Wouldn't classify it as stingy myself but can see how it is considering he is effectively stealing.

That is both:
    a. genius, and
    b. likely fraudulent and illegal?

I wonder what would happen if he got caught... Could you be arrested for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IvanRakitic

DivingDuck wrote: »
    That is both:
    a. genius, and
    b. likely fraudulent and illegal?

I wonder what would happen if he got caught... Could you be arrested for that?

Had to be careful, would have to send other people in for him in case they recognised him etc etc think he ended up sharing the stamp a bit too liberally to a point where everyone i knew was getting a free coffee, think the shop copped on and changed it to something like stickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Had to be careful, would have to send other people in for him in case they recognised him etc etc think he ended up sharing the stamp a bit too liberally to a point where everyone i knew was getting a free coffee, think the shop copped on and changed it to something like stickers

Id say they would just bar him. Arresting/getting a court judgement would cost the place more than the (lets say) couple of hundred they'd lose on the scam.

If all his mates and their mates were doing it then yes maybe a fraud case would be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Sounds good to me, you can PM me the invite. I bought a proper double skinned 3 person tent this summer. It even has led lights built in and is pop up. My six year old son loves it and we have used it a few times. Tent, sleeping bags, self inflating sleeping rolls in the boot of the car: away you go.
    A couple of things to remember: toilets, showers and ice, warm beer is crap.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Has to pay for the first cup though as thats when they give you the card.

Unless they hand out cards willy-nilly.

Advertisement