Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

colossus-x wrote: »
    Whilst working in a Central London busy restaurant over a xmas period where we did a lot of xmas officy type parities , one party organizer asked us to put the drinks on one bill the food on the other. Some people do that rightly of course when the bills are being paid separately but the guy snuck up on me at the end and whispered in my ear "I'm paying the service charge for the food, but not for drinks so take it off". Merry xmas to you too.

Another woman at a larger party I was doing myself maybe about 30 people came in dribs and drabs. The organizer ( prolly the boss ) gave me instructions throughout and ordered food for the latecomers before they arrived. When they arrived I had it ready and slapped it down on front of them almost as soon as the had sat down. The restaurant was huge, was very busy but no delays on that particular table and they got attentive fast service from me throughout. When she came to pay the bill probably on the company card, after serving them for about 3 hours or so, she looked me straight in the eye and without a flicker said "We're not paying the service charge. We know now it works".

I'm not sure about stingy to refuse service charge- I think it's a ****e system - I usually tip anyway but shy away from places that add service charge-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My dads mate is a taxi driver. He gave 4 of us a lift to town one night and charged us.
    None of the other parents ever charged for lifts, and he wasn't even working, he was at home, not planning on working as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'm not sure about stingy to refuse service charge- I think it's a ****e system - I usually tip anyway but shy away from places that add service charge-

No comment lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

colossus-x wrote: »
    No comment lol
    You'd definitely LOL,if you went into but a laptop for 500 euros and the guy said 550 please as we've added 50 euro service charge "for your convenience"

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

My dads mate is a taxi driver. He gave 4 of us a lift to town one night and charged us.
    None of the other parents ever charged for lifts, and he wasn't even working, he was at home, not planning on working as well.

Maybe you and your friends should have some common decency and offer a few bob to the other parents who are losing money to get you into town, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You should call a taxi in front of him next time.

"Well Mr. Jones, we wouldn't want to drag you off your sofa, and it's no more expensive".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Maybe you and your friends should have some common decency and offer a few bob to the other parents who are losing money to get you into town, no?

... Don't have kids Man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    ... Don't have kids Man...

We're not talking about kids though, I would have no problems dropping my kids and her friends somewhere.

The poster I referred to is a grown up (I assume) so expecting someone to drop them into town for free every time they click their fingers is tearing the arse out of it though.

Try and see it from the other person's perspective. I have a family member like this who constantly demands to be driven everywhere with no notice, payment, or though for what I might have planned. And that includes 4 hour journeys up the country because the bus takes too long. I did it for years like a mug because 'family' etc.
    Fcuk that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

We're not talking about kids though, I would have no problems dropping my kids and her friends somewhere.

The poster I referred to is a grown up (I assume) so expecting someone to drop them into town for free every time they click their fingers is tearing the arse out of it though.

Try and see it from the other person's perspective. I have a family member like this who constantly demands to be driven everywhere with no notice, payment, or though for what I might have planned. And that includes 4 hour journeys up the country because the bus takes too long. I did it for years like a mug because 'family' etc.
    Fcuk that.

Presumably from the 'none of the other parents ever charge us' bit they're teenagers though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

galljga1 wrote: »
    Sounds good to me, you can PM me the invite. I bought a proper double skinned 3 person tent this summer. It even has led lights built in and is pop up. My six year old son loves it and we have used it a few times. Tent, sleeping bags, self inflating sleeping rolls in the boot of the car: away you go.
    A couple of things to remember: toilets, showers and ice, warm beer is crap.
    Best of luck.

All set for Electric Picnic too. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Less chit chat and more stinge!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Re: the country wedding, the guests must be thrilled to know they will have to work before and throughout the day, on their days off, just for the privilege of attending your hipster wedding fest. Trading that off against a gift isn't really the point. I'd be giving it a swerve myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Re: the country wedding, the guests must be thrilled to know they will have to work before and throughout the day, on their days off, just for the privilege of attending your hipster wedding fest. Trading that off against a gift isn't really the point. I'd be giving it a swerve myself.

They don't have to help. Gifts/helping out is optional, as we will clearly state on the invites. I am well aware it won't suit most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Speaking of adverts, it never ceases to amaze me the tat that's on there at times. Worst I ever saw was half empty tubs of Sudocream and Bepanthan for €2. I mean, really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Speaking of adverts, it never ceases to amaze me the tat that's on there at times. Worst I ever saw was half empty tubs of Sudocream and Bepanthan for €2. I mean, really...

"Ah, you'd never believe it; we were so hard up we had to sell the Sudocream."
    "Jeez, Joanie - get away wi'ya."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

A guy came into work today, got is carvery lunch (pork) and paid and sat down. He then got up to get the large bowl of apple sauce (comes from a big plastic tub and not particularly nice) from beside the till and brought it to his table - nothing unusual there, lots of people like a bit of apple sauce on their pork.

After finishing his pork (without sauce), he takes a heap of little sugar packets meant for tea, stirs the sugar into the sauce and proceeds to eat the entire bowl of communal apple sauce for his dessert. I doubt it's even nice to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

omicron wrote: »
    A guy came into work today, got is carvery lunch (pork) and paid and sat down. He then got up to get the large bowl of apple sauce (comes from a big plastic tub and not particularly nice) from beside the till and brought it to his table - nothing unusual there, lots of people like a bit of apple sauce on their pork.

After finishing his pork (without sauce), he takes a heap of little sugar packets meant for tea, stirs the sugar into the sauce and proceeds to eat the entire bowl of communal apple sauce for his dessert. I doubt it's even nice to be honest!

The pig, ye should of charged him for the sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

rawn wrote: »
    After a lifetime of wearing second hand shoes i have never ever had a veruca or any sort of problem! I refuse to spend more than 15e on new shoes (except my skechers walking shoes that i wear daily, which are ~€60) But i don't deny that I'm a stinge for shoes, i just can't justify spending more than that for shoes i don't get much use out of!

You should invite a shoemaker to the wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

endacl wrote: »
    You should invite a shoemaker to the wedding!

A cobbler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

This made me laugh :D. How did he even think of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

In the long run, it'll cost him more, Diabetes aint cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

J Mysterio wrote: »
    A cobbler.

... would be a repairer of shoes, rather than a maker.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

endacl wrote: »
    ... would be a repairer of shoes, rather than a maker.

:D

Why have a shoemaker make expensive new shoes when the old ones can be cobbled together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Poor rawn :pac:

Poor rawn :pac:

I'm ok with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

They don't have to help. Gifts/helping out is optional, as we will clearly state on the invites. I am well aware it won't suit most people.

You could at least supply some booze in fairness

Dolbert wrote: »
    You could at least supply some booze in fairness

I will be. Wine for the meal and a few crates of beer, maybe some spirits. But it will be predominantly BYOB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Right, my wedding plans :)

It will take place on my aunts land in the country, we're planning an outdoor wedding. We will get "officially" married in a registry office on say, the Wednesday, with just immediate family. Then we will have a "wedding festival" on the weekend. On our invites, we will ask everyone that in lieu of gifts, we would like everyone to help out how (and if) they can by helping to make the wedding happen, for example, carpenters to help build a stage, chefs help with a BBQ on the day, musicians/DJ's to help with music, electricians, artists etc etc. This will help us to save tons on the wedding. Also, we will supply wine and some other drink but it will be mainly BYOB. There's a hotel down the road (and my aunts house for older family) but the general idea would be for everyone to camp out in tents. The idea is to save on the wedding and spend a ton on the honeymoon. Most of my friends are delighted with the idea but some people think I'm penny-pinching too much haha but I don't care :D

I can't help myself, my own inner stinge wants to know what you need to build a stage for? Surely that's an unnecessary expense ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I will be. Wine for the meal and a few crates of beer, maybe some spirits. But it will be predominantly BYOB.

Well then fcuk the begrudgers :pac: Can't see a problem with your plans tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dolbert wrote: »
    Well then fcuk the begrudgers :pac: Can't see a problem with your plans tbh

In light of the revelations about BYOB stingers, there could be a party game of totting up the ones who bring a bottle of gash plonk and drink everyone else's all night. Winner gets a free week in a tent, clearing up the field.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement