Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

I stayed in a B&B in Belfast which was run by an Indian family. It was absolutely dreadful to stay in but the next morning they really showed their colours. The full Irish breakfast was absolutely manky. Sausages were worse than the cheapest sausages I'd come across before. But I broke my ass laughing when they replaced the grilled tomato with a cherry tomato. But not just a cherry tomato. The stingy hures cut the cherry tomato in half and gave me one half and my friend the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rawn wrote: »
    Right, my wedding plans :)

It will take place on my aunts land in the country, we're planning an outdoor wedding. We will get "officially" married in a registry office on say, the Wednesday, with just immediate family. Then we will have a "wedding festival" on the weekend. On our invites, we will ask everyone that in lieu of gifts, we would like everyone to help out how (and if) they can by helping to make the wedding happen, for example, carpenters to help build a stage, chefs help with a BBQ on the day, musicians/DJ's to help with music, electricians, artists etc etc. This will help us to save tons on the wedding. Also, we will supply wine and some other drink but it will be mainly BYOB. There's a hotel down the road (and my aunts house for older family) but the general idea would be for everyone to camp out in tents. The idea is to save on the wedding and spend a ton on the honeymoon. Most of my friends are delighted with the idea but some people think I'm penny-pinching too much haha but I don't care :D

Don't listen to the naysayers rawn, I think your wedding sounds like great fun and totally different. I'm so sick of cookie cutter weddings where the couple think they're being so 'different' because they gave some tat as a favour or did a 'zany' first dance. Yours sounds like a breath of fresh air and I love the idea of getting people to donate skills instead of presents. That's how get togetherness used to work. I personally would love a BYOB wedding, the last wedding I was at was almost €14 for a two drink round.

You might have a bit of a backlash from some quarters because there's no siege of Ennis or it doesn't exactly follow the time table of the other 200 weddings they've attended. But I bet most people will love it and they'll talk about your wedding for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

ncmc wrote: »
    Don't listen to the naysayers rawn, I think your wedding sounds like great fun and totally different. I'm so sick of cookie cutter weddings where the couple think they're being so 'different' because they gave some tat as a favour or did a 'zany' first dance. Yours sounds like a breath of fresh air and I love the idea of getting people to donate skills instead of presents. That's how get togetherness used to work. I personally would love a BYOB wedding, the last wedding I was at was almost €14 for a two drink round.

You might have a bit of a backlash from some quarters because there's no siege of Ennis or it doesn't exactly follow the time table of the other 200 weddings they've attended. But I bet most people will love it and they'll talk about your wedding for years to come.

I agree, plus people who are having money worries will love you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Can all the morons please GTFO of this thread: just stinge stories please.

And the moderators might earn their crust by deleting all the "noise" posts and just leave the stinge story posts. Now that would be a good thread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

fatbhoy wrote: »
    And the moderators might earn their crust by deleting all the "noise" posts and just leave the stinge story posts. Now that would be a good thread.

Given the work the AH mods put into keeping this forum going for free, I think it's fair to say that they already more than "earn their crust"".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

My dads mate is a taxi driver. He gave 4 of us a lift to town one night and charged us.
    None of the other parents ever charged for lifts, and he wasn't even working, he was at home, not planning on working as well.
    It's your dads mate, he's not obliged to give you and your friends a lift anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Loving this thread! I shared a house with four of my friends in college. I drove to college (half hour drive) and back every day and brought them and they NEVER so much as offered any petrol money. They gladly took the free lifts.
    I was babysitting for my aunt during college as well and my ex friend kept complaining about how bored she would be when I was babysitting (we're both from different counties and were staying up the weekend). Feeling bad I offered for her to come with me. At the end of the babysitting she expected half the money!! Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Loving this thread! I shared a house with four of my friends in college. I drove to college (half hour drive) and back every day and brought them and they NEVER so much as offered any petrol money. They gladly took the free lifts.
    I was babysitting for my aunt during college as well and my ex friend kept complaining about how bored she would be when I was babysitting (we're both from different counties and were staying up the weekend). Feeling bad I offered for her to come with me. At the end of the babysitting she expected half the money!! Ridiculous.

I hope you didn't pay her. The cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I hope you didn't pay her. The cheek.

Bet she wanted a free lift too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

A couple we are friends were on a cruise a couple of months ago. There was a photographer on board taking pics of all the couples at different times and would have them developed and you had the choice to buy them.
    When the guy was showing them the pics, the husband whipped out his phone and took pics of the pics.
    Best part was, the guy yoked them, and everyone within earshot heard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

"yoked them"????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

chewed wrote:
    "yoked them"????
    Threw eggs at them maybe?

Same friend I mentioned above will invite herself to my house in Cork and stay for the whole weekend. My parents are generous and would frequently have given me money to take my friend out for dinner, given her plenty of wine, cooked vegetarian food for her and the whole lot. I'd drive her the whole way down (4 hours) from where I live and back- no mention of petrol money. She never invites people back to her house which is 45 minutes from Dublin (a lot closer compared to where we live). The thing that really took the biscuit is a recent wedding I was at. It was one of our mutual good friends. She happened to be at my table and piped up loudly ''would anyone like a drink, I'm heading to the bar'' to me and eight others. I said I'd love a glass of wine and I'd buy her next drink etc. A few others also said they'd love a drink. She went to the bar and came back with the drinks. I was very taken aback as she has never once offered me a drink, let alone lots of others at the table. I thanked her and she replied that I was welcome and discovered later that she never paid for the round of drinks at all. One of the lads did instead as she claimed she didn't have enough money. I could write a book on her- she's absolutely ridiculous.

Same friend I mentioned above will invite herself to my house in Cork and stay for the whole weekend. My parents are generous and would frequently have given me money to take my friend out for dinner, given her plenty of wine, cooked vegetarian food for her and the whole lot. I'd drive her the whole way down (4 hours) from where I live and back- no mention of petrol money. She never invites people back to her house which is 45 minutes from Dublin (a lot closer compared to where we live). The thing that really took the biscuit is a recent wedding I was at. It was one of our mutual good friends. She happened to be at my table and piped up loudly ''would anyone like a drink, I'm heading to the bar'' to me and eight others. I said I'd love a glass of wine and I'd buy her next drink etc. A few others also said they'd love a drink. She went to the bar and came back with the drinks. I was very taken aback as she has never once offered me a drink, let alone lots of others at the table. I thanked her and she replied that I was welcome and discovered later that she never paid for the round of drinks at all. One of the lads did instead as she claimed she didn't have enough money. I could write a book on her- she's absolutely ridiculous.

you are ridiculous for letting her walk all over you, we have all had "friends" like this in the past but you have to either pull them up on their behavior or cut them loose, driving her on a 4 hour journey which is an 8 hour journey as you have to go home is totally taking the pi$$, she wouldn't drive you 5 minutes down the road if you needed her to, and if she did she would look for petrol money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

chewed wrote: »
    "yoked them"????

He had words with them...

you are ridiculous for letting her walk all over you, we have all had "friends" like this in the past but you have to either pull them up on their behavior or cut them loose, driving her on a 4 hour journey which is an 8 hour journey as you have to go home is totally taking the pi$$, she wouldn't drive you 5 minutes down the road if you needed her to, and if she did she would look for petrol money.

I agree with you. Lots of us in our group of friends only realised how stingy she was and how ungrateful also. I don't speak to her anymore and have never really explained why I've just slowly reduced contact over the years. It was difficult at the time however, because I lived with her and it would only create unnecessary friction. She will never change though. God it's the worst trait for anyone to have isn't it?

I agree with you. Lots of us in our group of friends only realised how stingy she was and how ungrateful also. I don't speak to her anymore and have never really explained why I've just slowly reduced contact over the years. It was difficult at the time however, because I lived with her and it would only create unnecessary friction. She will never change though. God it's the worst trait for anyone to have isn't it?

yeah, they are the worst kind of people to hang out with, you would wonder where it comes from, I see it runs in families a lot, tight dad usually equals tight son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In McDonalds a woman who's finished her meal went up to the counter and asked for some ketchup. Threw around 5 or 6 sachets in her handbag and walked out.

yeah, they are the worst kind of people to hang out with, you would wonder where it comes from, I see it runs in families a lot, tight dad usually equals tight son.

It definitely runs in the family. If your parents are total penny pinchers, you lead by example. It's so embarrassing for them though, how do they not see they're being incredibly rude? Glad she is out of my life tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

smash wrote: »
    In McDonalds a woman who's finished her meal went up to the counter and asked for some ketchup. Threw around 5 or 6 sachets in her handbag and walked out.

dunno if I'd call this stingy. I actually do something similar, I ask for extra ketchup when ordering my Qtr pounder with cheese meal. what ever I dont use, I bring to work with me. Canteen at work charges 30 cent a sachet...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

duchalla wrote: »
    dunno if I'd call this stingy. I actually do something similar, I ask for extra ketchup when ordering my Qtr pounder with cheese meal. what ever I dont use, I bring to work with me. Canteen at work charges 30 cent a sachet...:D

Frugal?
    or
    Stingy?

Prace your bets!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Currently staying in the States, and have watched several times as a woman takes blatant advantage of the frozen yoghurt shop across the street. They give you one or two 'sample cups' when you arrive as they have 10+ flavours. This woman moves methodically up and down the machines and 'samples' each flavour 3 or 4 times. Doesn't buy anything, and is careful to leave when a big crowd is arriving in. Have seen her do it 2 or 3 times now, last time she stayed 'sampling' a good half-hour.

gutenberg wrote: »
    Currently staying in the States, and have watched several times as a woman takes blatant advantage of the frozen yoghurt shop across the street. They give you one or two 'sample cups' when you arrive as they have 10+ flavours. This woman moves methodically up and down the machines and 'samples' each flavour 3 or 4 times. Doesn't buy anything, and is careful to leave when a big crowd is arriving in. Have seen her do it 2 or 3 times now, last time she stayed 'sampling' a good half-hour.

I worked in a supermarket for years and everytime I passed the serve yourself deli counter (with salads etc) I would see people using their hands to pick up coleslaw and shove it into their mouths. Disgusting and also very stingy. If you want to eat it, pay for it. Also some mothers were very bad for giving their children bread rolls and not saying a bit to you at the till. You'd blatantly see the child covered in crumbs, finishing off the end of a roll. STINGE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I worked in a supermarket for years and everytime I passed the serve yourself deli counter (with salads etc) I would see people using their hands to pick up coleslaw and shove it into their mouths. Disgusting and also very stingy. If you want to eat it, pay for it. Also some mothers were very bad for giving their children bread rolls and not saying a bit to you at the till. You'd blatantly see the child covered in crumbs, finishing off the end of a roll. STINGE.

The hilarious thing about this woman is that I also see her at the gym very often. She's a 70-something-year-old lady, but she has clearly had an insane boob job done very very recently - everything else about her is skinny and saggy, except for these super-perky breasts (in case you were wondering, she likes to wander around naked and was drying her hair next to me for a good 10 minutes once, which is when I noticed). Clearly the message is that if you stinge on paying for frozen yoghurt, you can afford that boob job ;)

The hilarious thing about this woman is that I also see her at the gym very often. She's a 70-something-year-old lady, but she has clearly had an insane boob job done very very recently - everything else about her is skinny and saggy, except for these super-perky breasts (in case you were wondering, she likes to wander around naked and was drying her hair next to me for a good 10 minutes once, which is when I noticed). Clearly the message is that if you stinge on paying for frozen yoghurt, you can afford that boob job ;)

HAHAHA. I laughed so much at your last line. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Frugal?
    or
    Stingy?

Prace your bets!

Oh Rerry?

Justin1982 wrote: »
    I stayed in a B&B in Belfast which was run by an Indian family. It was absolutely dreadful to stay in but the next morning they really showed their colours. The full Irish breakfast was absolutely manky. Sausages were worse than the cheapest sausages I'd come across before. But I broke my ass laughing when they replaced the grilled tomato with a cherry tomato. But not just a cherry tomato. The stingy hures cut the cherry tomato in half and gave me one half and my friend the other half.

Similar story, but the "hotel" was in Glasgow.

Selection of cheeses was yellow and orange easy singles. I sh*t you not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Larry David would have a field day on them!!!!
    Similar story, but the "hotel" was in Glasgow.

Selection of cheeses was yellow and orange easy singles. I sh*t you not.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That is not stingy, that is stealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

How to derail the thread for dummies!

"Stingy
    vs
    Frugal
    vs
    Stealing
    vs
    Taking advantage"

Or simply use any combination of 2 of the above to ensure 3 pages of bickering

Advertisement