Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

cazzer22 wrote: »
    I worked in a supermarket for years and everytime I passed the serve yourself deli counter (with salads etc) I would see people using their hands to pick up coleslaw and shove it into their mouths. Disgusting and also very stingy. If you want to eat it, pay for it. Also some mothers were very bad for giving their children bread rolls and not saying a bit to you at the till. You'd blatantly see the child covered in crumbs, finishing off the end of a roll. STINGE.

I find this is very prevalent in Lidl these days since they started selling loose cherries and nuts. People are just going in and "sampling" them :rolleyes: with their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

snubbleste wrote: »
    That is not stingy, that is stealing.

Exactly so; and several supermarkets have tried to prosecute for it, with mixed success. They might get a conviction, but risk a backlash in customer numbers falling from negative publicity, because it's surprising just how many of their regulars do it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Has to be one of the stingiest things in the world for Government ministers to get the citizens of the country to pay for his/her passport photos. A whole €12/15 when their wages is circs €157k. Wonder what else was pushed through.:( :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Has to be one of the stingiest things in the world for Government ministers to get the citizens of the country to pay for his/her passport photos. A whole €12/15 when their wages is circs €157k. Wonder what else was pushed through.:( :(
    Now that is definitely stingy!
    Maybe boardsies could pick one person each and issue an FoI for expenses:
    166 TDs
    60 Senators
    Secretaries-General
    Head of Departments
    etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

snubbleste wrote: »
    Now that is definitely stingy!
    Maybe boardsies could pick one person each and issue an FoI for expenses:
    Why should we have to ask!!!
    They are stingy with their information!!!
    It should be published, in detail, and available to all and sundry!

Sure would you expect anything else from him. Prob got us to pay for his passport too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

from Tony Cascarino's book...

"As with Laszlo and Cedric, there’s a lot about ‘X’ I really admire: he’s intelligent, speaks pretty good English and always tries to be a good pro. But there are other things about him I will never understand. He does not use shampoo. He does not use toothpaste. He does not use aftershave or deodorant. And he smells. The second time we roomed together I put a clothes peg in my bag and slipped it over my nose as I was getting into bed. He looked at me and sniffed his T-shirt: ‘It’s not me,’ he said. ‘I don’t smell.’ ‘You ****ing do,’ I countered. Nothing changed. It’s not that he’s allergic or objects to animal testing; he just doesn’t believe in wasting money on soap or perfume. He is Europe’s tightest, smelliest man. His thriftiness is manic. He has a mobile phone that can only receive calls and he always wears the club suit to weddings and functions. But that’s just for starters. Once, we were rooming together and he said: ‘Do you know you can eat for free?’ ‘What do you mean, “You can eat for free”,’ I scoffed. ‘You have to buy food.’ ‘No,’ he said. ‘Check the labels the next time you shop; there’s always a line that says that the customer can demand a refund if he isn’t happy with the product.’ ‘But you still have to pay for the stamp,’ I said. ‘It will cost at least three francs to send it back.’ ‘Yes,’ he agreed, ‘but you don’t do it for something that just costs a couple of francs, you do it for something more expensive. Think about it. I’m telling you, you can basically eat for free.’ There was a pause as I tried to figure it out. ‘And I suppose you pay your TV licence as well,’ he said. ‘Of course I do.’ ‘You’re mad,’ he said. ‘You don’t have to, you know.’ ‘What do you mean, “You don’t have to”?’ ‘You can refuse entry. Legally, the inspectors are not entitled to enter your house.’ I laughed, but he was serious. During pre-season training in Munster, we decided one night, during a session of cards, that we’d forego the evening meal and just send someone out for a McDonald’s, or a ‘Macdo’ as we say in these parts. To the surprise of all, it was ‘X’ who generously volunteered. And then came the proviso. ‘I’ll go,’ he said, ‘but you’ve got to pay for my petrol and you’ve got to buy my Macdo.’ There was uproar. Even by his own miserly standards it was a new low. After a great deal of negotiating, we agreed to buy his Macdo but refused to pay for the petrol. He wouldn’t budge. We sent someone else. A week later, at the end of the training camp, we were presented with gift packs of pâté and cheese after playing one of the local teams. Most of the lads weren’t bothered and discarded them in the dressing room. ‘X’ gathered everything up and took it home. Tonight, I tackled him again on his frugality: ‘You must,’ I said, ‘have some pleasures in life!’ ‘Of course I do,’ he responded, surprised. ‘I read books and watch films and . . .’ ‘Oh, so you spend money on books, then?’ ‘Well, no, my girlfriend is at university and she gets them from the library and passes them on.’ ‘But you watch films? You rent videos?’ ‘No, I wait until they’re shown on Canal plus. It may take a year or two but you see them all, sooner or later.’ ‘And what about holidays? When’s the last time you treated yourself to a good time abroad?’ ‘Abroad! Why would I want to go abroad? France is the most beautiful country in the world.’ As I say, unique."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tony Cascarino can't have attended too many training camps in Munster with a Frenchman, who is X?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

"As with Laszlo and Cedric, there’s a lot about ‘X’ I really admire: he’s intelligent, speaks pretty good English and always tries to be a good pro. But there are other things about him I will never understand. He does not use shampoo. He does not use toothpaste. He does not use aftershave or deodorant. And he smells. The second time we roomed together I put a clothes peg in my bag and slipped it over my nose as I was getting into bed. He looked at me and sniffed his T-shirt: ‘It’s not me,’ he said. ‘I don’t smell.’ ‘You ****ing do,’ I countered. Nothing changed. It’s not that he’s allergic or objects to animal testing; he just doesn’t believe in wasting money on soap or perfume. He is Europe’s tightest, smelliest man. His thriftiness is manic. He has a mobile phone that can only receive calls and he always wears the club suit to weddings and functions. But that’s just for starters. Once, we were rooming together and he said: ‘Do you know you can eat for free?’ ‘What do you mean, “You can eat for free”,’ I scoffed. ‘You have to buy food.’ ‘No,’ he said. ‘Check the labels the next time you shop; there’s always a line that says that the customer can demand a refund if he isn’t happy with the product.’ ‘But you still have to pay for the stamp,’ I said. ‘It will cost at least three francs to send it back.’ ‘Yes,’ he agreed, ‘but you don’t do it for something that just costs a couple of francs, you do it for something more expensive. Think about it. I’m telling you, you can basically eat for free.’ There was a pause as I tried to figure it out. ‘And I suppose you pay your TV licence as well,’ he said. ‘Of course I do.’ ‘You’re mad,’ he said. ‘You don’t have to, you know.’ ‘What do you mean, “You don’t have to”?’ ‘You can refuse entry. Legally, the inspectors are not entitled to enter your house.’ I laughed, but he was serious. During pre-season training in Munster, we decided one night, during a session of cards, that we’d forego the evening meal and just send someone out for a McDonald’s, or a ‘Macdo’ as we say in these parts. To the surprise of all, it was ‘X’ who generously volunteered. And then came the proviso. ‘I’ll go,’ he said, ‘but you’ve got to pay for my petrol and you’ve got to buy my Macdo.’ There was uproar. Even by his own miserly standards it was a new low. After a great deal of negotiating, we agreed to buy his Macdo but refused to pay for the petrol. He wouldn’t budge. We sent someone else. A week later, at the end of the training camp, we were presented with gift packs of pâté and cheese after playing one of the local teams. Most of the lads weren’t bothered and discarded them in the dressing room. ‘X’ gathered everything up and took it home. Tonight, I tackled him again on his frugality: ‘You must,’ I said, ‘have some pleasures in life!’ ‘Of course I do,’ he responded, surprised. ‘I read books and watch films and . . .’ ‘Oh, so you spend money on books, then?’ ‘Well, no, my girlfriend is at university and she gets them from the library and passes them on.’ ‘But you watch films? You rent videos?’ ‘No, I wait until they’re shown on Canal plus. It may take a year or two but you see them all, sooner or later.’ ‘And what about holidays? When’s the last time you treated yourself to a good time abroad?’ ‘Abroad! Why would I want to go abroad? France is the most beautiful country in the world.’ As I say, unique."

Who wants to live like that ? People work hard, you as well just enjoy your wages. As the saying goes, Theres no use in being the richest man in the graveyard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

There's a Munster in France and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was in the local fast food place at the weekend with my friend. Few weeks back, my friend hadn't the money for his meal, so they'd let him have it on tick (pay later) so to speak, and they asked him for it when we went in, like 9 euro or so. My friend said he had no recollection of it happening, and stormed out of the place rather than pay the 9 euro cos he said he'd rather find a different chippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Played cards with Cascarino one night about 8 or 9 years ago in the Macau in Cork city. Had the whole table in stitches all night with the yarns and stories from his days playing football. Some man for the banter, and sound bloke as well.

He walked away about €1500 up that night if memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/alan-shatter-diplomatic-passport-31462298.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Axel Lamp wrote: »

Turn out it was a diplomatic passport. Maybe shatter should sue Dennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Coming in a 404 page not found Axel

Strange, page has been removed. It was a clarification on the original story, Shatter was obliged to apply for the expenses as it was a diplomatic passport for a trip to the Lebanon to see the Defence forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I wonder about people. My flatmate, from abroad, does not understand sharing or offering, but she knows taking. Every time - i try to be wise to her ways but if i'm feeling peeved at her or stingy & dont offer she will ask in a loud demanding voice ; Can I not have some of ( your steak/dinner/cake/wine etc).
    She will buy an entire apple pie & est it all , or a whole 8 slice chocolate cake, or chrisps, wine, 14" pizza, etc and never ever offer. But, will always ask for some of yours/mine.
    Last week in an unprecedented move she offered to cook dinner- shocked ( this offering has never happened in 3 years) I declined (as i had steak that needed to be cooked that night - but didn't tell her that) . but she egged me into going along with it as she absolutely insisted. As I say, a first in 3 years. She chopped & stewed up a big pot of beefsteak pieces, tons of carrots & veg & a big pot of potatoes. Two hours later after they had been stewed in what later turned out to have been my wine she served up two dinners - mine comprised of about 6 large potatoes, two small pieces of meat the size of cocktail saussages and no veg bar one forlorn carrot slice. Her plate was not much better.
    The following day I looked in the fridge to throw out my out of date steak & it was gone - as was my red peppers, chirozo & veg. However in her shelf of the fridge was a huge bowl of my ingredients - all stewed up & marinaded in my red wine, ready for her to eat alone in her bedroom the following night. Which she did utterly without conscience. I am so ashamed & embarassed for her that I cannot bring myself to say anything. How can you tell someone who is young, beautiful & rich that she is an absolute selfish self centered calculating w****.
    She is utterly loaded btw.

I wonder about people. My flatmate, from abroad, does not understand sharing or offering, but she knows taking. Every time - i try to be wise to her ways but if i'm feeling peeved at her or stingy & dont offer she will ask in a loud demanding voice ; Can I not have some of ( your steak/dinner/cake/wine etc). Last week in an unprecedented move she offered to cook dinner- shocked ( this offering has never happened in 3 years) I declined as i had steak that needed to be cooked thst night. but she egged into going along with it as she absolutely insisted. As I say, a first in 3 years. She chopped & stewed up a big pot of beefsteak pieces, tons of carrots & veg & a big pot of potatoes. Two hours later after they had been stewed in my wine she served up two dinners - mine comprised of about 6 large potatoes, two small pieces of meat the size of cocktail saussages and no veg bar one forlorn carrot slice. Her plate was not much better.
    The following day I looked in the fridge to throw out my out of date steak & it was gone - as was my red peppers & swet potatos. However in her shelf of the fridge was a huge bowl of my ingredients - all stewed up & marinaded in my red wine, ready for her to eat alone in her bedroom ghe following night. Which she did.
    She is loaded btw.

why didnt you eat it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

bluewolf wrote: »

I couldnt. I was brought up better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Brought up better than to eat your own food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Speaking of adverts, it never ceases to amaze me the tat that's on there at times. Worst I ever saw was half empty tubs of Sudocream and Bepanthan for €2. I mean, really...

I was shocked to see people selling iPhone boxes for €25 on Adverts. I still have the box from mine and I'm half tempted to stick it up on Adverts as a free item and post a link to it on every ad trying to sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you put up with shyte like that then you are a mug tbh.

If you are too afraid to say anything then can I suggest some strong laxitives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I wonder about people. My flatmate, from abroad, does not understand sharing or offering, but she knows taking. Every time - i try to be wise to her ways but if i'm feeling peeved at her or stingy & dont offer she will ask in a loud demanding voice ; Can I not have some of ( your steak/dinner/cake/wine etc).
    She will buy an entire apple pie & est it all , or a whole 8 slice chocolate cake, or chrisps, wine, 14" pizza, etc and never ever offer. But, will always ask for some of yours/mine.
    Last week in an unprecedented move she offered to cook dinner- shocked ( this offering has never happened in 3 years) I declined as i had steak that needed to be cooked that night. but she egged me into going along with it as she absolutely insisted. As I say, a first in 3 years. She chopped & stewed up a big pot of beefsteak pieces, tons of carrots & veg & a big pot of potatoes. Two hours later after they had been stewed in my wine she served up two dinners - mine comprised of about 6 large potatoes, two small pieces of meat the size of cocktail saussages and no veg bar one forlorn carrot slice. Her plate was not much better.
    The following day I looked in the fridge to throw out my out of date steak & it was gone - as was my red peppers, chirozo & veg. However in her shelf of the fridge was a huge bowl of my ingredients - all stewed up & marinaded in my red wine, ready for her to eat alone in her bedroom the following night. Which she did utterly without conscience. I am so ashamed & embarassed for her that I cannot bring myself to say anything. How can you tell someone who is young, beautiful & rich that she is an absolute selfish self centered calculating w****.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Last week in an unprecedented move she offered to cook dinner- shocked ( this offering has never happened in 3 years) I declined as i had steak that needed to be cooked that night. but she egged me into going along with it as she absolutely insisted. As I say, a first in 3 years. She chopped & stewed up a big pot of beefsteak pieces, tons of carrots & veg & a big pot of potatoes. Two hours later after they had been stewed in my wine she served up two dinners - mine comprised of about 6 large potatoes, two small pieces of meat the size of cocktail saussages and no veg bar one forlorn carrot slice. Her plate was not much better.

You should of thrown it in the bin and told her the steak was gone off and your looking out for her health :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

My gran had a towel that was the "hand drying" towel in the kitchen.. It was made of 20+ old towels, sewn together.. When my gran died, we found brand new towels, bed clothes etc in her room still wrapped in brown paper from the 50's, 60's and 70"s. Hand written receipts inside.

Not stingy but maybe buying it while it was cheap so in case it was needed? She lived through WW2 so had a make do and mend attitude.

I am the same however.. Any old t-shirts get cut up and used for rags. Hot water + Persil + old cotton t-shirt = clean windows..

I also have a 7 year old pair of Abercrombie jeans that I wear to work.. (Horticulture) Sew up any holes.. Grand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

dubscottie wrote: »
    . Any old t-shirts get cut up and used for rags.
    I do the same - old tees and towels get used as workshop rags (and get thrown in their own wash cycle too, when they need it). The don't hit the bin until they're utterly useless.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

bluewolf wrote: »

It's weird the culture clash there can be around stinginess/directness though, Irish people and Northern or Eastern European people seem to have a big gulf.

Not directly related to this, but one of my best friends is German and I remember when we were teenagers her aunt (German but living in Ireland for 30 years or so) was driving us to the pub and drilling her on the etiquette of buying drinks

'If you are going up to buy a drink, ask them if they would like a drink. They will probably say no, but you need to buy them a drink anyway. Especially if they have bought you a drink, they will probably say no no no you're grand, but they don't mean it. If in doubt, buy a drink, they'll buy you one back. And if someone asks if you want a drink, just say no, they'll ask a second time'

'But why don't they...?'

'I know, I know, but trust me'

I'm sorry but your just being weak here.

You were apparently brought up to walked all over. You had multiple opportunities to confront this in that short story alone. Being better does not equate to not confronting a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

The following day I looked in the fridge to throw out my out of date steak & it was gone - as was my red peppers, chirozo & veg. However in her shelf of the fridge was a huge bowl of my ingredients - all stewed up & marinaded in my red wine, ready for her to eat alone in her bedroom the following night. Which she did utterly without conscience.

Not only did that deserve to be eaten by you, it deserved to be eaten right in front of her.

Advertisement