Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Hold on a sec - you were going to chuck out a steak that was a day out of date? You deserved to have that taken off you and eaten with relish.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Hold on a sec - you were going to chuck out a steak that was a day out of date? You deserved to have that taken off you and eaten with relish.

One that REALLY annoys me is this. Why do people take an arbitrary date, placed on that product weeks previous, an educated guess by the authorities' ownn admissions (something they actually point out frequently to combat food waste), with so many variables about how it will be kept, stored, transported, etc yet to even be taken into account... and take that date as 100% fact? If a steak say August 17th, it doesn't magically go off right after 11:59:59 pm that night. The smell test is absolutely key, though I would take considerably less chances with chicken.

Has any one ever seen someone open a pack of meat which has long since gone that sickly shade of grey and smells bad enough to induce a gag reflex from the other side of the room, and said "nah it's grand, sure it doesn't go off until tomorrow. Says so on the pack" ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,633 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

people who bring there own tea bags into a cafe and go up and ask for a cup of hot water :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

people who dine and dash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I couldnt. I was brought up better.

You're being a total pushover here. I've lived in a lot of house-shares and in NONE would her behaviour have been tolerated. Are you taken in by the beauty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I am so ashamed & embarrassed for her that I cannot bring myself to say anything. How can you tell someone who is young, beautiful & rich that she is an absolute selfish self centered calculating w****.
    She is utterly loaded btw.
    You were right not to eat it yourself. However, you should have absolutely loaded it with laxatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

PTH2009 wrote: »
    people who bring there own tea bags into a cafe and go up and ask for a cup of hot water :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

people who dine and dash.
    I used to run the staff canteen for a branch of Roches Stores and that did my head in. After a while I introduced an 8c fee for hot water. Wrecked their heads but a contribution needed to be made to the cost of heating the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I used to run the staff canteen for a branch of Roches Stores and that did my head in. After a while I introduced an 8c fee for hot water. Wrecked their heads but a contribution needed to be made to the cost of heating the water

Fair enough if it was a cafe looking to make profit but it's a bit excessive charging staff for boiling weather in the place that they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm not a big tea connoisseur by any means, but I do notice the quality of tea (including where I work) can be really bad, so I fully understand people wanting to use their own bags on a non-stingy basis. A lot of places get in big boxes of tea bags with no proper air tight seals, so they just go stale and tasteless when left over time.

But I agree that they should be charged for the hot water if it's in a cafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I minded children for a couple a few years ago, the wife worked full time, the husband part-time so I looked after the children the days the husband worked.
    Shortly into the job, the wife told me I wasn't to boil the kettle in future to make tea for myself - they would fill a flask in the morning and leave it on the worktop and I was to use the water from that during the day, after all "times, were hard and we all have to mind the pennies" and boiling the kettle 'uses a lot of electricity'. I was also expected to stay overnight if the husband had to stay away over night for his job, as the wife was afraid to stay on her own in the house (it was out the country in the middle of nowwhere) and there was no extra pay tor this.
    I went along with it because I was out of work and needed the money, but eventually quit. I noticed there was plenty of money for everything else. They were always bleating about how hard times were, yet they were able to buy a third family car, go on holidays abroad, buy expensive furniture for the house and went on to have a fifth child and we all know how expensive it is to rear children these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I minded children for a couple a few years ago, the wife worked full time, the husband part-time so I looked after the children the days the husband worked.
    Shortly into the job, the wife told me I wasn't to boil the kettle in future to make tea for myself - they would fill a flask in the morning and leave it on the worktop and I was to use the water from that during the day, after all "times, were hard and we all have to mind the pennies" and boiling the kettle 'uses a lot of electricity'. I was also expected to stay overnight if the husband had to stay away over night for his job, as the wife was afraid to stay on her own in the house (it was out the country in the middle of nowwhere) and there was no extra pay tor this.
    I went along with it because I was out of work and needed the money, but eventually quit. I noticed there was plenty of money for everything else. They were always bleating about how hard times were, yet they were able to buy a third family car, go on holidays abroad, buy expensive furniture for the house and went on to have a fifth child and we all know how expensive it is to rear children these days.

Disgusting, the state the world is in and having this many kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

My point really was that if money was so tight then I thought they might not be able to afford more kids. I couldn't care less if they had twenty kids, just that there were so stingy is what bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

My point really was that if money was so tight then I thought they might not be able to afford more kids. I couldn't care less if they had twenty kids, just that there were so stingy is what bothered me.

Sure and in relation to this thread thats spot on.

My post is off topic.

A few months back in my last house share a rather nice late 20s gentleman moved in. For the first few weeks we found him to be rather fun and his ability to misunderstand even the most basic of human interactions quite charming. As one might expect, this soon grew tiresome though it was helped by his inability to remove his hands from his pockets anytime he was expected to hand over his share of anything.

What myself and another housemate used to do was that each weekend we would go shopping and stock up for the week We'd get all the essentials and a few non essentials and then split the cost. It was a great way of cutting down on what we would normally spend and with the money saved we would grab a crate of beer or two. When the new lad, let's call him R moved in he asked to be included in our shopping. We agreed as we figured a third person would only add to the saving and on a fateful Saturday we went shopping across the road from the house.

Normally we'd walk but R insisted on driving and who were we to say no to a lift. In the first store R added in a lot of stuff that we would never get telling us that he'd "pay a little extra". At the till, when all the items had been scanned through R patted himself down and gave us the old "oops I forgot my wallet look". He asked my housemate who we will call S to cover him. S duly obliged and paid two thirds the cost, we pointed out that since R added extra things in only he would use that he could get us back later. In the second store I paid for two thirds with R repeatedly telling us that he would us pay when he got home.

As you've no doubt gathered, R is one of those people who never seems to be able to remember to bring his wallet anywhere where he may have to open it in the presence of others. We asked him a number of times for what he owed us but it was always "I'll get you back tomorrow" or "I'll be paid next week". Now unlike myself and S, R had at the time a really great working for a government body where he is able to work 6 months a year and bring him a considerable amount.

For the sake of keeping things friendly we decided eventually to just let it go and figured that in the grand scheme of things that it wasn't exactly a life changing amount. In the weeks and months that followed R tried to take every opportunity to keep his wallet shut tighter than a virgins legs. On the night of S's birthday, R insisted that everyone head out to celebrate and once we hit the pub told us that he had left his wallet at home and asked S to buy him a few drinks. S being the innocent he was bought R two pints, even though R was working at 3 that morning and we didn't get to the pub till after 12. Part of R's job involves him driving around and at 2 am in the morning he was begging S to buy him "a few more pints to get" him "through the night".

R took advantage of S's generous nature a few more times in the coming weeks, he would repeatedly ask if anyone wanted a take away and if anyone agreed he would ask S to pay for his once the food was ordered. In the end S figured that R owed him the best part of 150 euro. I moved out a few months back and while having a pint with S a few weeks back he told me the story of the day he just told R to fuck off.

We'd been out for a pint and R invited himself along. Myself and S were doing rounds and excluding R who over the course of three hours bought one pint and then sipped slowly from it. Each time myself or S went up to get a pint R would look up with a light in his eyes and say "I'll have the same again". We never did get him a pint that night and after myself and S decided to get take out. I ordered a pizza in one place and while waiting R asked for the quickest place to get a pizza. We told him head to Supermacs as it was the furthest away from us. I said my good byes to S and got a taxi home. An hour or so later I got a text from S telling me that a few minutes after I left he got a call from R asking him to come to Supermacs. S told R that he was almost home and ended up getting a torrent of pleas for him to head back in but S just told him he'd see him at home. 15 minutes later a rather upset and angry R stormed into the house sans food. When R asked him where his pizza was, R looked at him and said "I didn't get one". S asked why and R looked at him and said "I'm not paying for a pizza by myself".

There's two toilets in the house, an upstairs on beside R's room and a smaller one downstairs beside S's room. For two months it was just the two of them and as such they ended up with their own bathroom. S had long ago started to keep toilet roll in his room as R never bought any but if there was a 6 pack in the house take 3 into his room. For a full 8 week period R bought not a single roll of toilet paper yet each morning abused the toilet in an ungodly manner. S noticed that R would shower each morning which was a huge change for R who in the time I lived in the house showered at most twice a week. The sudden increase in personal hygiene needs no explanation.

R is one of those people who is more hassle than he's worth, he was always late with rent and would try to pay bills off a few euro each week and insist that you sign his little notebook of receipts. He once handed me 65 cent and then asked me to sign my signature beneath a not reading "Paid Darko 65 cent, balance remaining 78 euro and 35 cent". It was amongst the most pathetic and childish things that I had ever seen and I had to call him on it. I told him either he paid bills in full or he was being evicted. A quick trip in his car and suddenly R, the man who 15 minutes previously could only afford to pay 65 cent had the full amount. He really was the most detestable of people that I have ever met, one who expected everyone else to pay his share. I assume that his mother treated him like a king and slaved away for him as there's no other way to explain his behavior. It wasn't uncommon for R to arrive home at 12 am and to barge into my room to ask if I had "any milk or bread" in my room as R was out.

Before I go, I just recalled the time when R lent S 2 euro for milk. S had been home all weekend and ended up leaving his wallet back home. I wasn't around so he instead asked R for a loan of money for milk. R agreed but first S had to sign R's notebook acknowledging that he owed R 2 euro. S told R that he would have his wallet back the following day as his brother was heading up in the morning. Between 8pm and 1pm the next morning S had 34 missed calls and texts from S regarding the 2 euro loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

That fella would do my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Should have played him at his own game there and told him to knock the E2 off of the E150 he already owed you. Seriously, if he was making you sign if ye borrowed a penny you should have done the exact same to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I feel angry after reading that!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When did he actually tell R to fcuk off?

kylith wrote: »
    Should have played him at his own game there and told him to knock the E2 off of the E150 he already owed you. Seriously, if he was making you sign if ye borrowed a penny you should have done the exact same to him.

As R paid his deposit to us we're planning on taking what he owes us out of it as well as a fee for having to put up with him. We contemplated doing as you suggested but figured that we'd let R think he had gotten away with all his crap.
    osarusan wrote: »
    When did he actually tell R to fcuk off?

Meant to say that on the night of pizza gate S ended by telling R to "fuck off you cheap prick". R has barely spoken to him since and has instead turned his attention to the new lads, one of whom he text 15 times and range 44 times over the course of a single weekend in relation to the internet being out as a result of a mistake by UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I presume R is short for Retard!
    Christ i couldn't stick living with anyone that bad!

I presume R is short for Retard!
    Christ i couldn't stick living with anyone that bad!

It's short for something alright but most definitely not that word, which is one that really needs to be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Sounds like R has major OCD when it comes to money. Shared a house with a guy like that but freakier. 4 of us in the house on a work experience from college for 6 months. After 2 weeks we guessed he was a leech, never bought food or toiletries and always with the wallet is at home excuse.

About 3 months in, the 3 of us made a pact not to buy food and to use the work canteen for a week or 2. On the Thursday afternoon of the 2nd week yer man passed out and admitted to the company doc he hadn't eaten in about 4 days (when our house food ran out). We had a word with supervisor and told him the story and the doc was informed. Doc sent him to the hospital and declared him unfit for work (i.e.sacked). His father and sister came to collect his stuff before getting him from hospital and we had a word with them about his penny pinching.

His sister told us she found over £800IRL in his room, so she paid us what he owed in rent out of that and we never seen him again. Hope he got help obviously bigger problem than just stinginess there methinks.

With R it's a case of pure tightness or else he's so accustomed to his mother buying him everything that he expects it from all around him. If you had a pack of sweets and offered him one he would put his whole hand into the bag and take out a fist full and if there was an unopened bag just grab it and help himself. He did it once to me before he was told to keep his hands to his own food. He would often help himself to everyone elses food and on one occasion I took a slice of his ham as I thought it belonged to S. An hour later a rather disgruntled R was banging on my door to ask about the "dirty thief who stole" his ham. I explained the situation to R and he told me "you owe me a slice of ham". I told him I'd pay him back as soon as he replaced all the food and drinks of mine that he had used.

What's most shocking about R is that not only does he have a girlfriend but he's moving in with her in the coming weeks. In the entire time R has lived in my old house he hasn't once tidied up after himself or helped out with any cleaning. I'd feel sorry for his girlfriend were it not for the fact that she treats him more like her child than boyfriend. She's constantly making him tea and cooking for him whenever she stays over.

With R it's a case of pure tightness or else he's so accustomed to his mother buying him everything that he expects it from all around him. If you had a pack of sweets and offered him one he would put his whole hand into the bag and take out a fist full and if there was an unopened bag just grab it and help himself. He did it once to me before he was told to keep his hands to his own food. He would often help himself to everyone elses food and on one occasion I took a slice of his ham as I thought it belonged to S. An hour later a rather disgruntled R was banging on my door to ask about the "dirty thief who stole" his ham. I explained the situation to R and he told me "you owe me a slice of ham". I told him I'd pay him back as soon as he replaced all the food and drinks of mine that he had used.

What's most shocking about R is that not only does he have a girlfriend but he's moving in with her in the coming weeks. In the entire time R has lived in my old house he hasn't once tidied up after himself or helped out with any cleaning. I'd feel sorry for his girlfriend were it not for the fact that she treats him more like her child than boyfriend. She's constantly making him tea and cooking for him whenever she stays over.

He has a girlfriend, she must be loaded.

jamesbere wrote: »

If by loaded you mean that she works a menial job in the evenings and attends college during the day then she is certainly loaded. It's R who has the great job, he works 6 months a year and then claims JSA for the other 6 but often boasted of how much he earned in his job and how during his 6 months off he makes a bundle doing jobs on the side. He really is a very special case and reminded me of a friend from way back. A lad I went to secondary school with was living with some other friends when they started college and arrived back after his first day in college and sat down at the kitchen table. He waited a few minutes before asking what was for dinner. All of us in the house at the time were a little taken aback till we realised that he was so used to his mother looking after him that he didn't understand that college was different. Now the difference between him in R is that it took a single brief conversation to explain how things work. With R you could tell him the same thing every day for a year and he'd still fail to grasp it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

jamesbere wrote: »
    Not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Well look on the bright side you will soon be rid of R.If that doesnt justify a party i dont know what would.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Well look on the bright side you will soon be rid of R.If that doesnt justify a party i dont know what would.

I've been rid of him for over 2 months, well kinda as even though I no longer live in the house he still rings me all the time to ask me dumb questions or solve problems that a child could.

And R's ears must be burning as I got a text from him a minute ago reading, "landlor won't give me good refrance as he said u said I give rent late and not pay bills. Im not happy at all with this and u need to sort it for me. I expect good ref from u about how grate I am to live with. If not ill see u in court for slender". I'm not sure if I should pity him or merely laugh at him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

A few months back in my last house share a rather nice late 20s gentleman moved in. For the first few weeks we found him to be rather fun and his ability to misunderstand even the most basic of human interactions quite charming. As one might expect, this soon grew tiresome though it was helped by his inability to remove his hands from his pockets anytime he was expected to hand over his share of anything.

What myself and another housemate used to do was that each weekend we would go shopping and stock up for the week We'd get all the essentials and a few non essentials and then split the cost. It was a great way of cutting down on what we would normally spend and with the money saved we would grab a crate of beer or two. When the new lad, let's call him R moved in he asked to be included in our shopping. We agreed as we figured a third person would only add to the saving and on a fateful Saturday we went shopping across the road from the house.

Normally we'd walk but R insisted on driving and who were we to say no to a lift. In the first store R added in a lot of stuff that we would never get telling us that he'd "pay a little extra". At the till, when all the items had been scanned through R patted himself down and gave us the old "oops I forgot my wallet look". He asked my housemate who we will call S to cover him. S duly obliged and paid two thirds the cost, we pointed out that since R added extra things in only he would use that he could get us back later. In the second store I paid for two thirds with R repeatedly telling us that he would us pay when he got home.

As you've no doubt gathered, R is one of those people who never seems to be able to remember to bring his wallet anywhere where he may have to open it in the presence of others. We asked him a number of times for what he owed us but it was always "I'll get you back tomorrow" or "I'll be paid next week". Now unlike myself and S, R had at the time a really great working for a government body where he is able to work 6 months a year and bring him a considerable amount.

For the sake of keeping things friendly we decided eventually to just let it go and figured that in the grand scheme of things that it wasn't exactly a life changing amount. In the weeks and months that followed R tried to take every opportunity to keep his wallet shut tighter than a virgins legs. On the night of S's birthday, R insisted that everyone head out to celebrate and once we hit the pub told us that he had left his wallet at home and asked S to buy him a few drinks. S being the innocent he was bought R two pints, even though R was working at 3 that morning and we didn't get to the pub till after 12. Part of R's job involves him driving around and at 2 am in the morning he was begging S to buy him "a few more pints to get" him "through the night".

R took advantage of S's generous nature a few more times in the coming weeks, he would repeatedly ask if anyone wanted a take away and if anyone agreed he would ask S to pay for his once the food was ordered. In the end S figured that R owed him the best part of 150 euro. I moved out a few months back and while having a pint with S a few weeks back he told me the story of the day he just told R to fuck off.

We'd been out for a pint and R invited himself along. Myself and S were doing rounds and excluding R who over the course of three hours bought one pint and then sipped slowly from it. Each time myself or S went up to get a pint R would look up with a light in his eyes and say "I'll have the same again". We never did get him a pint that night and after myself and S decided to get take out. I ordered a pizza in one place and while waiting R asked for the quickest place to get a pizza. We told him head to Supermacs as it was the furthest away from us. I said my good byes to S and got a taxi home. An hour or so later I got a text from S telling me that a few minutes after I left he got a call from R asking him to come to Supermacs. S told R that he was almost home and ended up getting a torrent of pleas for him to head back in but S just told him he'd see him at home. 15 minutes later a rather upset and angry R stormed into the house sans food. When R asked him where his pizza was, R looked at him and said "I didn't get one". S asked why and R looked at him and said "I'm not paying for a pizza by myself".

There's two toilets in the house, an upstairs on beside R's room and a smaller one downstairs beside S's room. For two months it was just the two of them and as such they ended up with their own bathroom. S had long ago started to keep toilet roll in his room as R never bought any but if there was a 6 pack in the house take 3 into his room. For a full 8 week period R bought not a single roll of toilet paper yet each morning abused the toilet in an ungodly manner. S noticed that R would shower each morning which was a huge change for R who in the time I lived in the house showered at most twice a week. The sudden increase in personal hygiene needs no explanation.

R is one of those people who is more hassle than he's worth, he was always late with rent and would try to pay bills off a few euro each week and insist that you sign his little notebook of receipts. He once handed me 65 cent and then asked me to sign my signature beneath a not reading "Paid Darko 65 cent, balance remaining 78 euro and 35 cent". It was amongst the most pathetic and childish things that I had ever seen and I had to call him on it. I told him either he paid bills in full or he was being evicted. A quick trip in his car and suddenly R, the man who 15 minutes previously could only afford to pay 65 cent had the full amount. He really was the most detestable of people that I have ever met, one who expected everyone else to pay his share. I assume that his mother treated him like a king and slaved away for him as there's no other way to explain his behavior. It wasn't uncommon for R to arrive home at 12 am and to barge into my room to ask if I had "any milk or bread" in my room as R was out.

Before I go, I just recalled the time when R lent S 2 euro for milk. S had been home all weekend and ended up leaving his wallet back home. I wasn't around so he instead asked R for a loan of money for milk. R agreed but first S had to sign R's notebook acknowledging that he owed R 2 euro. S told R that he would have his wallet back the following day as his brother was heading up in the morning. Between 8pm and 1pm the next morning S had 34 missed calls and texts from S regarding the 2 euro loan.

Typical enabler story. People like you Darko encourage people like 'R'

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Typical enabler story. People like you Darko encourage people like 'R'

So by letting him off one time I enabled him? Rather it's a case that I was stung once and learnt from it. I'll give anyone a chance and I'll give most three but I don't let people take advantage of me.

• Advertisement

Good God, I'd tell him to f off. If i were you I'd ignore his text's.

Advertisement