Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've been rid of him for over 2 months, well kinda as even though I no longer live in the house he still rings me all the time to ask me dumb questions or solve problems that a child could.

And R's ears must be burning as I got a text from him a minute ago reading, "landlor won't give me good refrance as he said u said I give rent late and not pay bills. Im not happy at all with this and u need to sort it for me. I expect good ref from u about how grate I am to live with. If not ill see u in court for slender". I'm not sure if I should pity him or merely laugh at him.

Text back "I don't think your GF can afford a good solicitor, and FLAC has a long waiting list."

I text him back a simple message that even he will be able to grasp, "I no write u reference, u go fuck self"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wonder about people. My flatmate, from abroad, does not understand sharing or offering, but she knows taking. Every time - i try to be wise to her ways but if i'm feeling peeved at her or stingy & dont offer she will ask in a loud demanding voice ; Can I not have some of ( your steak/dinner/cake/wine etc).
    She will buy an entire apple pie & est it all , or a whole 8 slice chocolate cake, or chrisps, wine, 14" pizza, etc and never ever offer. But, will always ask for some of yours/mine.
    Last week in an unprecedented move she offered to cook dinner- shocked ( this offering has never happened in 3 years) I declined (as i had steak that needed to be cooked that night - but didn't tell her that) . but she egged me into going along with it as she absolutely insisted. As I say, a first in 3 years. She chopped & stewed up a big pot of beefsteak pieces, tons of carrots & veg & a big pot of potatoes. Two hours later after they had been stewed in what later turned out to have been my wine she served up two dinners - mine comprised of about 6 large potatoes, two small pieces of meat the size of cocktail saussages and no veg bar one forlorn carrot slice. Her plate was not much better.
    The following day I looked in the fridge to throw out my out of date steak & it was gone - as was my red peppers, chirozo & veg. However in her shelf of the fridge was a huge bowl of my ingredients - all stewed up & marinaded in my red wine, ready for her to eat alone in her bedroom the following night. Which she did utterly without conscience. I am so ashamed & embarassed for her that I cannot bring myself to say anything. How can you tell someone who is young, beautiful & rich that she is an absolute selfish self centered calculating w****.
    She is utterly loaded btw.
    Is she good looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

If by loaded you mean that she works a menial job in the evenings and attends college during the day then she is certainly loaded. It's R who has the great job, he works 6 months a year and then claims JSA for the other 6 but often boasted of how much he earned in his job and how during his 6 months off he makes a bundle doing jobs on the side. He really is a very special case and reminded me of a friend from way back. A lad I went to secondary school with was living with some other friends when they started college and arrived back after his first day in college and sat down at the kitchen table. He waited a few minutes before asking what was for dinner. All of us in the house at the time were a little taken aback till we realised that he was so used to his mother looking after him that he didn't understand that college was different. Now the difference between him in R is that it took a single brief conversation to explain how things work. With R you could tell him the same thing every day for a year and he'd still fail to grasp it.

Shop him out to the welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Reminds me of a time myself and the missus went to an acquaintances Christmas Dinner

I really didnt want to go but the missus badgered me. Right after an exam too so I was banjaxed.

Brought a bottle of wine as you do

End of the dinner guy pipes up - "oh yeah thatll be 7 euro"

Paid it and thank god never seen him again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Oh, my god. Imagine being that stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Going back to Darko's original post, I have met so many of this type of person, always giving them several chances to redeem themselves but they never did. It's a case of when people show their true colours, believe them the first time - although I probably would still give somebody a second or even a third chance but no more, not after my experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Lend us a quid 'til Thursday, will you?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Giz €20 til I get me memory back

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I heard this story years ago, when there wasn't the range of buses in Dublin airport you have now. This guy used come from America, where he wasn't stuck. He'd hop into a taxi and ask for the Gresham Hotel or the like. He'd wait until the taxi came to the Swords Rd and he'd ask the taximan the fare, the taximan would say £4 or whatever. He would then declare this fare outrageous and demand out of the taxi. Once out he'd wait at the bus stop and get the bus to Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I've been rid of him for over 2 months, well kinda as even though I no longer live in the house he still rings me all the time to ask me dumb questions or solve problems that a child could.

And R's ears must be burning as I got a text from him a minute ago reading, "landlor won't give me good refrance as he said u said I give rent late and not pay bills. Im not happy at all with this and u need to sort it for me. I expect good ref from u about how grate I am to live with. If not ill see u in court for slender". I'm not sure if I should pity him or merely laugh at him.

Tell him you'll be watching him in court for welfare fraud and tax evasion.
    See how that goes down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Flatmates mothers friend came to stay - she also brought her friend so we put them up for about 5 days , cooked meals , bought rounds of drinks, took them to nice reataurants, oirish music nights etc. Safe to say they had a good ( & free) holiday. They said they would thank us by taking us out to a restaurant, that night came but when I got home From work this had somehow turned into we will cook dinner for 4 from the random higgledy piggeldy things in your fridge & press . Not too pleased with that but howandever. The unbelievable bit is that about 2 weeks later a parcel arrived to thank us / containing ( yes) a random glued back together ornament and a second hand pair of pyjamas from a car booth sale.
    Wtf????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Flatmates mothers friend came to stay - she also brought her friend so we put them up for about 5 days , cooked meals , bought rounds of drinks, took them to nice reataurants, oirish music nights etc. Safe to say they had a good ( & free) holiday. They said they would thank us by taking us out to a restaurant, that night came but when I got home From work this had somehow turned into we will cook dinner for 4 from the random higgledy piggeldy things in your fridge & press . Not too pleased with that but howandever. The unbelievable bit is that about 2 weeks later a parcel arrived to thank us / containing ( yes) a random glued back together ornament and a second hand pair of pyjamas from a car booth sale.
    Wtf????

LOL! Probably thought they were being nice, too.
    Hmm... used pyjamas; classy.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'd say there was a bit of a scrap over the ornament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Let us know how this turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Someone close to me was having financial difficulties and couldn't get a bank loan. They used to ring me very upset saying that the people they owed money to were threatening to take them to court and they'd lose the house. I didn't have savings so I said I'd take out a loan in my name and they could pay me back and it would be the same thing as paying the bank. Big mistake. The loan wasn't small, it was €6,000 and they were to pay me back €50 a week. I was only on €300 a week myself at the time, so money was tight.

At first all was fine but then three weeks went by with nothing. This meant that I had to go without to cover it. When I said it to them, they tried to deny it and then made excuses. I found out later that they had delayed paying me because they were saving €2,000 to raise the wall in there house.

There were loads of missed payments but finally the person said to me one day "I've kept track and I've paid back the money so now were're even". It came out of the blue and I was like "but what about the interest?". They couldn't wrap their head around the fact that because I had taken out a bank loan, the bank were charging me interest on it and because I had taken out the loan in good faith, then this person should be liable for the interest. It took about three years to pay back the loan, so there was considerable interest.

This person went behind my back spreading rumours that I had lent them money as a friend and now I was trying to make a quick buck by charging them interest. I only found out because my sister was livid and was telling me and I was like "hold on there, that was me, I took out a bank loan for this person, which they understood and the only reason I'm looking for the interest is because the bank are on my case". My sister couldn't believe the cheek of the person and it changed her opinion of them.

A year later they sent me the interest but there was never an apology. I don't know if they are stingy or I'm a soft touch but I'd never put myself in that position again. I was young and naive at the time and you live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Someone close to me was having financial difficulties and couldn't get a bank loan. They used to ring me very upset saying that the people they owed money to were threatening to take them to court and they'd lose the house. I didn't have savings so I said I'd take out a loan in my name and they could pay me back and it would be the same thing as paying the bank. Big mistake. The loan wasn't small, it was €6,000 and they were to pay me back €50 a week. I was only on €300 a week myself at the time, so money was tight.

At first all was fine but then three weeks went by with nothing. This meant that I had to go without to cover it. When I said it to them, they tried to deny it and then made excuses. I found out later that they had delayed paying me because they were saving €2,000 to raise the wall in there house.

There were loads of missed payments but finally the person said to me one day "I've kept track and I've paid back the money so now were're even". It came out of the blue and I was like "but what about the interest?". They couldn't wrap their head around the fact that because I had taken out a bank loan, the bank were charging me interest on it and because I had taken out the loan in good faith, then this person should be liable for the interest. It took about three years to pay back the loan, so there was considerable interest.

This person went behind my back spreading rumours that I had lent them money as a friend and now I was trying to make a quick buck by charging them interest. I only found out because my sister was livid and was telling me and I was like "hold on there, that was me, I took out a bank loan for this person, which they understood and the only reason I'm looking for the interest is because the bank are on my case". My sister couldn't believe the cheek of the person and it changed her opinion of them.

A year later they sent me the interest but there was never an apology. I don't know if they are stingy or I'm a soft touch but I'd never put myself in that position again. I was young and naive at the time and you live and learn.

IMO they knew there was interest and thought they could bully you down into not looking for it. I've a feeling they could have got a loan and were too stingy to pay the extra interest, they used you and probably started talking **** about you hoping you would back off about the interest( they were saving 2000 so they had income)

Again this is my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

If that were me I would never talk to them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lexendr

That is actually mad, cannot believe someone would do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...you were both, and young and naïve, indeed. There are always those who will take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Lexendr

A few months back in my last house share a rather nice late 20s gentleman moved in. For the first few weeks we found him to be rather fun and his ability to misunderstand even the most basic of human interactions quite charming. As one might expect, this soon grew tiresome though it was helped by his inability to remove his hands from his pockets anytime he was expected to hand over his share of anything.

What myself and another housemate used to do was that each weekend we would go shopping and stock up for the week We'd get all the essentials and a few non essentials and then split the cost. It was a great way of cutting down on what we would normally spend and with the money saved we would grab a crate of beer or two. When the new lad, let's call him R moved in he asked to be included in our shopping. We agreed as we figured a third person would only add to the saving and on a fateful Saturday we went shopping across the road from the house.

Normally we'd walk but R insisted on driving and who were we to say no to a lift. In the first store R added in a lot of stuff that we would never get telling us that he'd "pay a little extra". At the till, when all the items had been scanned through R patted himself down and gave us the old "oops I forgot my wallet look". He asked my housemate who we will call S to cover him. S duly obliged and paid two thirds the cost, we pointed out that since R added extra things in only he would use that he could get us back later. In the second store I paid for two thirds with R repeatedly telling us that he would us pay when he got home.

As you've no doubt gathered, R is one of those people who never seems to be able to remember to bring his wallet anywhere where he may have to open it in the presence of others. We asked him a number of times for what he owed us but it was always "I'll get you back tomorrow" or "I'll be paid next week". Now unlike myself and S, R had at the time a really great working for a government body where he is able to work 6 months a year and bring him a considerable amount.

For the sake of keeping things friendly we decided eventually to just let it go and figured that in the grand scheme of things that it wasn't exactly a life changing amount. In the weeks and months that followed R tried to take every opportunity to keep his wallet shut tighter than a virgins legs. On the night of S's birthday, R insisted that everyone head out to celebrate and once we hit the pub told us that he had left his wallet at home and asked S to buy him a few drinks. S being the innocent he was bought R two pints, even though R was working at 3 that morning and we didn't get to the pub till after 12. Part of R's job involves him driving around and at 2 am in the morning he was begging S to buy him "a few more pints to get" him "through the night".

R took advantage of S's generous nature a few more times in the coming weeks, he would repeatedly ask if anyone wanted a take away and if anyone agreed he would ask S to pay for his once the food was ordered. In the end S figured that R owed him the best part of 150 euro. I moved out a few months back and while having a pint with S a few weeks back he told me the story of the day he just told R to fuck off.

We'd been out for a pint and R invited himself along. Myself and S were doing rounds and excluding R who over the course of three hours bought one pint and then sipped slowly from it. Each time myself or S went up to get a pint R would look up with a light in his eyes and say "I'll have the same again". We never did get him a pint that night and after myself and S decided to get take out. I ordered a pizza in one place and while waiting R asked for the quickest place to get a pizza. We told him head to Supermacs as it was the furthest away from us. I said my good byes to S and got a taxi home. An hour or so later I got a text from S telling me that a few minutes after I left he got a call from R asking him to come to Supermacs. S told R that he was almost home and ended up getting a torrent of pleas for him to head back in but S just told him he'd see him at home. 15 minutes later a rather upset and angry R stormed into the house sans food. When R asked him where his pizza was, R looked at him and said "I didn't get one". S asked why and R looked at him and said "I'm not paying for a pizza by myself".

There's two toilets in the house, an upstairs on beside R's room and a smaller one downstairs beside S's room. For two months it was just the two of them and as such they ended up with their own bathroom. S had long ago started to keep toilet roll in his room as R never bought any but if there was a 6 pack in the house take 3 into his room. For a full 8 week period R bought not a single roll of toilet paper yet each morning abused the toilet in an ungodly manner. S noticed that R would shower each morning which was a huge change for R who in the time I lived in the house showered at most twice a week. The sudden increase in personal hygiene needs no explanation.

R is one of those people who is more hassle than he's worth, he was always late with rent and would try to pay bills off a few euro each week and insist that you sign his little notebook of receipts. He once handed me 65 cent and then asked me to sign my signature beneath a not reading "Paid Darko 65 cent, balance remaining 78 euro and 35 cent". It was amongst the most pathetic and childish things that I had ever seen and I had to call him on it. I told him either he paid bills in full or he was being evicted. A quick trip in his car and suddenly R, the man who 15 minutes previously could only afford to pay 65 cent had the full amount. He really was the most detestable of people that I have ever met, one who expected everyone else to pay his share. I assume that his mother treated him like a king and slaved away for him as there's no other way to explain his behavior. It wasn't uncommon for R to arrive home at 12 am and to barge into my room to ask if I had "any milk or bread" in my room as R was out.

Before I go, I just recalled the time when R lent S 2 euro for milk. S had been home all weekend and ended up leaving his wallet back home. I wasn't around so he instead asked R for a loan of money for milk. R agreed but first S had to sign R's notebook acknowledging that he owed R 2 euro. S told R that he would have his wallet back the following day as his brother was heading up in the morning. Between 8pm and 1pm the next morning S had 34 missed calls and texts from S regarding the 2 euro loan.

This was actually painful to read. Genuinely so bad out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sh1tty story. A similar thing happened a friend of mine All he got back was half the original amount borrowed. The culprit is long gone. Last we heard he was in jail in France for smuggling drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On the subject of loans.

A very good and kind friend was in difficulty, asked me to loan her some money to pay off creditors like ESB and the like. She said here are my bank details thanks so much you are so kind. I will pay you back at X per month.

I replied by text, Hi love, I will help you out, what bills need to be paid and I will pay them for you but no cash sorry. Happy to help anyway.

Never heard anymore. Surprise surprise. We are still friends, and the topic is never mentioned.

My motto is help out, pay bills but not cash, as you have gathered! I think that is reasonable, and is also helping someone WHO IS GENUINE about debts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

On the subject of loans.

A very good and kind friend was in difficulty, asked me to loan her some money to pay off creditors like ESB and the like. She said here are my bank details thanks so much you are so kind. I will pay you back at X per month.

I replied by text, Hi love, I will help you out, what bills need to be paid and I will pay them for you but no cash sorry. Happy to help anyway.

Never heard anymore. Surprise surprise. We are still friends, and the topic is never mentioned.

My motto is help out, pay bills but not cash, as you have gathered! I think that is reasonable, and is also helping someone WHO IS GENUINE about debts!

True, but they can still avoid repaying you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

rawn wrote: »
    True, but they can still avoid repaying you.

I know, but the point I was making is, I would prefer to pay some bills for someone in financial difficulty rather that give them cash to buy fags and booze for example.

It wouldn't bother me if I wasn't repaid for paying some bills. It WOULD bother me though if I gave cash and wasn't repaid. There is a bit of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I don't lend anyone money anymore. My philosophy is that if I'm not willing to gift the money to the person then either I'm not close enough to that person to be considering a loan in the first place or its so much that I can't afford to lose it. So if someone close to me needs money and I can afford to help them out I will gift the money, if they insist on giving it back at a later stage anyway then fine, but if not I never considered it a loan in the first place so there won't ever be hard feelings. Too easy to fall out with people over loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

OH told me a story not too long ago about a friend we used to house share with.

OH drinks tea like it's going out of fashion. He is a tea addict.

Anyway, one morning he gets up and potters down to the kitchen to make breakfast. Our house mate is there, sitting at the kitchen table eating his cereal. OH sets about making his tea when he realises that we've run out of milk. He asks the house mate if it's ok to nick a drop of milk for his tea. House mate tells OH to work away.

Later on that evening, on his way home from town, OH picks up a carton of milk for us. When he gets home the house mate is in the kitchen again. He sees OH with the carton of milk. He asks OH to replace the drop of milk he took that morning. At first OH thinks he's having a laugh but he realises that the house mate is deadly serious.

Same house mate broke a toilet seat one night.(Don't ask, I don't know how). Went on e bay to see if he could find a second hand one. Again thought he was messing but when I saw he was getting frustrated when he couldn't get one a second hand one, I had to ask him was he being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

A few months back in my last house share a rather nice late 20s gentleman moved in. For the first few weeks we found him to be rather fun and his ability to misunderstand even the most basic of human interactions quite charming. As one might expect, this soon grew tiresome though it was helped by his inability to remove his hands from his pockets anytime he was expected to hand over his share of anything.

What myself and another housemate used to do was that each weekend we would go shopping and stock up for the week We'd get all the essentials and a few non essentials and then split the cost. It was a great way of cutting down on what we would normally spend and with the money saved we would grab a crate of beer or two. When the new lad, let's call him R moved in he asked to be included in our shopping. We agreed as we figured a third person would only add to the saving and on a fateful Saturday we went shopping across the road from the house.

Normally we'd walk but R insisted on driving and who were we to say no to a lift. In the first store R added in a lot of stuff that we would never get telling us that he'd "pay a little extra". At the till, when all the items had been scanned through R patted himself down and gave us the old "oops I forgot my wallet look". He asked my housemate who we will call S to cover him. S duly obliged and paid two thirds the cost, we pointed out that since R added extra things in only he would use that he could get us back later. In the second store I paid for two thirds with R repeatedly telling us that he would us pay when he got home.

As you've no doubt gathered, R is one of those people who never seems to be able to remember to bring his wallet anywhere where he may have to open it in the presence of others. We asked him a number of times for what he owed us but it was always "I'll get you back tomorrow" or "I'll be paid next week". Now unlike myself and S, R had at the time a really great working for a government body where he is able to work 6 months a year and bring him a considerable amount.

For the sake of keeping things friendly we decided eventually to just let it go and figured that in the grand scheme of things that it wasn't exactly a life changing amount. In the weeks and months that followed R tried to take every opportunity to keep his wallet shut tighter than a virgins legs. On the night of S's birthday, R insisted that everyone head out to celebrate and once we hit the pub told us that he had left his wallet at home and asked S to buy him a few drinks. S being the innocent he was bought R two pints, even though R was working at 3 that morning and we didn't get to the pub till after 12. Part of R's job involves him driving around and at 2 am in the morning he was begging S to buy him "a few more pints to get" him "through the night".

R took advantage of S's generous nature a few more times in the coming weeks, he would repeatedly ask if anyone wanted a take away and if anyone agreed he would ask S to pay for his once the food was ordered. In the end S figured that R owed him the best part of 150 euro. I moved out a few months back and while having a pint with S a few weeks back he told me the story of the day he just told R to fuck off.

We'd been out for a pint and R invited himself along. Myself and S were doing rounds and excluding R who over the course of three hours bought one pint and then sipped slowly from it. Each time myself or S went up to get a pint R would look up with a light in his eyes and say "I'll have the same again". We never did get him a pint that night and after myself and S decided to get take out. I ordered a pizza in one place and while waiting R asked for the quickest place to get a pizza. We told him head to Supermacs as it was the furthest away from us. I said my good byes to S and got a taxi home. An hour or so later I got a text from S telling me that a few minutes after I left he got a call from R asking him to come to Supermacs. S told R that he was almost home and ended up getting a torrent of pleas for him to head back in but S just told him he'd see him at home. 15 minutes later a rather upset and angry R stormed into the house sans food. When R asked him where his pizza was, R looked at him and said "I didn't get one". S asked why and R looked at him and said "I'm not paying for a pizza by myself".

There's two toilets in the house, an upstairs on beside R's room and a smaller one downstairs beside S's room. For two months it was just the two of them and as such they ended up with their own bathroom. S had long ago started to keep toilet roll in his room as R never bought any but if there was a 6 pack in the house take 3 into his room. For a full 8 week period R bought not a single roll of toilet paper yet each morning abused the toilet in an ungodly manner. S noticed that R would shower each morning which was a huge change for R who in the time I lived in the house showered at most twice a week. The sudden increase in personal hygiene needs no explanation.

R is one of those people who is more hassle than he's worth, he was always late with rent and would try to pay bills off a few euro each week and insist that you sign his little notebook of receipts. He once handed me 65 cent and then asked me to sign my signature beneath a not reading "Paid Darko 65 cent, balance remaining 78 euro and 35 cent". It was amongst the most pathetic and childish things that I had ever seen and I had to call him on it. I told him either he paid bills in full or he was being evicted. A quick trip in his car and suddenly R, the man who 15 minutes previously could only afford to pay 65 cent had the full amount. He really was the most detestable of people that I have ever met, one who expected everyone else to pay his share. I assume that his mother treated him like a king and slaved away for him as there's no other way to explain his behavior. It wasn't uncommon for R to arrive home at 12 am and to barge into my room to ask if I had "any milk or bread" in my room as R was out.

Before I go, I just recalled the time when R lent S 2 euro for milk. S had been home all weekend and ended up leaving his wallet back home. I wasn't around so he instead asked R for a loan of money for milk. R agreed but first S had to sign R's notebook acknowledging that he owed R 2 euro. S told R that he would have his wallet back the following day as his brother was heading up in the morning. Between 8pm and 1pm the next morning S had 34 missed calls and texts from S regarding the 2 euro loan.

Always wondered about people like this, what makes them tick ...

I remember I went to school with a guy from a certain county,
    This would have been back in 97/98 and he had about £1200 punts in his bank account - loaded for an 18 year old thats not working.

Anyway one day he loaned me £2 so I could buy a sandwich , He was asking me to bring the money in the next day - hands up I forgot the money honest mistake , but he went mental, it was a friday and he was going home and he was moaning about how he'd have to get money out to get the bus!!!

I paid him on Monday and he wanted £5 for the inconvenience - I told him to take a long walk of a short pier.

He was a miserable prick too, used to pick up every penny he'd see on the ground and say : "Sure you could be a penny short of a million"
    :mad: arsehole ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, I had a similar-ish experience earlier this year. Moved in with 3 people, and we went to Ikea on the first day to get the basics. To save hassle and charges I put it all on my card, on the agreement of being paid back immediately. One of the girls let me know she was stuck for cash and it might take a few days.

The next day when I got home from work, one of the girls paid me back - perfect! The girl who was stuck paid me back within a week or two, no bothers as she let me know ahead of time and that's a perfectly reasonable time frame to pay someone back in.

The other guy... he said he had the money on him. He also said he would get me back asap but kept "forgetting". I was out to work at 8am and not back until 8pm or later most days, shattered enough to just go to bed. I should have paid more attention because he was out getting drunk, stoned, taking pills, etc every single night. On my money. When I confronted him on it he was all awkward about it and sheepishly let me know he didn't have the money anymore, but would get it back asap.

I was fuming but gave him the benefit of the doubt, as he was only 22 and it was his first time living away from home. No effort on his part. Weeks passed, and I even got him an interview where I was working to pay me back from, because he was incapable of getting himself a job. He then called them on a Saturday (when they were closed!) and left a voice mail to say he had changed his mind and that the Tuesday morning interview was no good for him. I managed to salvage thst and get him a Friday interview, gave him a loan of my black shoes and a shirt for it and all. I did t need them as the place was casual wear.

He messed up the interview, I forgot about the shoes/shirt and only remembered the other day - the shoes are gone grey now they're so worn! Almost two months later he finally paid me back, in f***ing increments, whenever his mommy or godmother would send him over money.

And worst of all, around July when I had messed up my budgeting and was $7 shy of rent I asked him for a loan of it... of SEVEN dollars. This was on a Wed night and I was getting paid on Friday. A one day loan of SEVEN dollars. He told me he didn't have any money to, so I went off to bed. Woke up the next morning to see he had spent probably 30 dollars on junk food and weed. Luckily the rent didn't go out until the next day (they use cheques here).

We idly enough he has been eager to throw me under the bus ever since, and is now moving out in 1 month thank Christ. I've been sure to warn everyone we know and everyone he might move in with a out his Me Feiner attitude and untrustworthiness with money, because not a chance he should get away with that again.

Rent is due again today, I know he is very broke so I am looking forward to reminding him he STILL hasn't paid the remainder of last months rent that he thinks he has gotten away with. Just gonna let him know I am not (edit: typo) lodging his money until it is all there, and if he has a problem we can take it up with the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I couldnt. I was brought up better.

Ah you had my sympathies until you posted this - no wonder she is stealing your food, you're a complete push over!!

Time to toughen up and tell her to keep her stingy hands off your food :D

Advertisement