Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I've been rid of him for over 2 months, well kinda as even though I no longer live in the house he still rings me all the time to ask me dumb questions or solve problems that a child could.

Oh thats really interesting. I posted earlier about a friend of mine I got rid of because the same issues you had with R. But what I said in that post was only the tip of the iceberg because there were other things about him that drove me nuts that I though had noting to do with his stinginess but in retrospect they were.

For example: I know a lot about computer tech. So many of our conversations would revolve around him asking me a bizillion questions about computers , the internet, mobile phone and internet charges, download limits, hardware etc etc. I never minded answering those questions as I liked being helpful and giving advice. However this one particular line of questioning really shows where he was coming from.

So being stingy he wanted to know what he could get of the internet for free. It didn't really matter what it was , a movie , music whatever , just it had to be for free. He'd quiz me up about what music I was into then segway into how I got it and from where. But it wasn't good enough that I would give him explicit instructions as to how to go about it because there was still a catch for him that he had to download this stuff on his own computer and on his own internet connection. In other words there was still come cost to him and that would impinge on his download limit therefore in his stingy eyes it was not completely free.

So when the inevitable request came from him to give him the files I had , rather than get them himself , he had the problem of how to conduct this transfer. Then ensued debate about the in's and outs of the merits of a usb memory key and endless questioning about how they work and so on. Questions like, 'oh but when the key is full what do I do then, do I have to delete the files if I put more stuff on it'.. He'd act completely dumb and of course the whole reason he would behave in this way is because he was wrestling with the shock horror notion of having to pay a few quid for a usb stick which if he bought would mean that whatever files I gave him would not be 'complexly free' because of the initial outlay for the memory stick.

After all the interrogation he never bothered buying the memory stick and decided he was better off leaving things the way they were. Happy enough getting all the expert tech info I gave him for nout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

colossus-x wrote: »
    Oh thats really interesting. I posted earlier about a friend of mine I got rid of because the same issues you had with R. But what I said in that post was only the tip of the iceberg because there were other things about him that drove me nuts that I though had noting to do with his stinginess but in retrospect they were.

For example: I know a lot about computer tech. So many of our conversations would revolve around him asking me a bizillion questions about computers , the internet, mobile phone and internet charges, download limits, hardware etc etc. I never minded answering those questions as I liked being helpful and giving advice. However this one particular line of questioning really shows where he was coming from.

So being stingy he wanted to know what he could get of the internet for free. It didn't really matter what it was , a movie , music whatever , just it had to be for free. He'd quiz me up about what music I was into then segway into how I got it and from where. But it wasn't good enough that I would give him explicit instructions as to how to go about it because there was still a catch for him that he had to download this stuff on his own computer and on his own internet connection. In other words there was still come cost to him and that would impinge on his download limit therefore in his stingy eyes it was not completely free.

So when the inevitable request came from him to give him the files I had , rather than get them himself , he had the problem of how to conduct this transfer. Then ensued debate about the in's and outs of the merits of a usb memory key and endless questioning about how they work and so on. Questions like, 'oh but when the key is full what do I do then, do I have to delete the files if I put more stuff on it'.. He'd act completely dumb and of course the whole reason he would behave in this way is because he was wrestling with the shock horror notion of having to pay a few quid for a usb stick which if he bought would mean that whatever files I gave him would not be 'complexly free' because of the initial outlay for the memory stick.

After all the interrogation he never bothered buying the memory stick and decided he was better off leaving things the way they were. Happy enough getting all the expert tech info I gave him for nout.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

After all the interrogation he never bothered buying the memory stick
    I hate buying memory sticks. Not because I'm stingy but I find they're like umbrellas - I buy one and when I need it I can't remember where I put it so I have to buy another one :o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Jaysus I'm glad I never lived with these mad party animals...it would have been the end of me...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Lad I work with planned to buy a Christmas Tree last January. He was recounting today how disgusted he was that he left it too late and that they were no longer in stock and back in storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Lad I work with planned to buy a Christmas Tree last January. He was recounting today how disgusted he was that he left it too late and that they were no longer in stock and back in storage.

I bought this year's Xmas pudding last year.
    I found out totally by accident that if you leave pud in the cupboard for a year it matures and tastes excellent. This works even for cheap ones from Aldidl.
    I've been doing this for the last decade - tightarse that I am :pac:
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I bought this year's Xmas pudding last year.
    I found out totally by accident that if you leave pud in the cupboard for a year it matures and tastes excellent. This works even for cheap ones from Aldidl.
    I've been doing this for the last decade - tightarse that I am :pac:

Aldidl :)
    I heard a 'lady' haggling in the charity shop the other day. Borderline acceptable if she had been down on her luck, but I recognise a genuine Mulberry Bayswater when I see one, and that's what she was stuffing her charity shop purchases into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

2 lads I know went to Iceland for a cheap trip away. Stayed in AirBnB and rented a car. As their return flight was early in the morning one of them insisted they'd save a nights accommodation and instead sleep in the rented car outside the airport.

They woke up at 4am and returned the car. The lad who wasnt too keen on sleeping in the car complained of a pain in his foot. After returning home, he went to the doctor and have found to have gotten mild frostbite on his toes from a draught cutting through the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

My pal has become increasingly stingy but an incident last week left me a wee bit gobsmacked at how stingy he's become.

I invited him over to my gaff and said I'd make a few omelettes and we could hang out for a bit. I mentioned I didn't have time to go to the shops to get bread but if he was happy with omelettes, I'd love to see him. So he came over and he brought a few slices of bread which I toasted, we ate omelettes, had loads of tea and a cake my flatmate had given me. It was a lovely afternoon!

This is where the stingyness comes in. When he was getting ready to go, he noticed that there was one slice of bread left. He proceeded to wrap it up in a plastic, put it in his bag and take it home!

Maybe ahm being too judgemental, but I really didn't invite him over to hustle some bread and was quite surprised that it even occurred to him to pack up a poxy slice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

2 lads I know went to Iceland for a cheap trip away. Stayed in AirBnB and rented a car. As their return flight was early in the morning one of them insisted they'd save a nights accommodation and instead sleep in the rented car outside the airport.

They woke up at 4am and returned the car. The lad who wasnt too keen on sleeping in the car complained of a pain in his foot. After returning home, he went to the doctor and have found to have gotten mild frostbite on his toes from a draught cutting through the car.

Sorry but I almost pmsl
    😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 apple_ blossom

Not sure if it's the case of being stingy or just impolite. So my good friend had two of her very good friends over from a northern European country. We all went out for an afternoon drink and I bought us a round , after a while 2 lads joined us whom these 2 girls knew . The 2 girls went to the bar and bought everyone a drink except for me. I thought it was rude, did they not get the meaning of buying rounds ?? ..maybe it's a culture thing or whatever :) as in -thou shall only buy drinks to the person you know well.. lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

An old friend of mine, haven't seen him in years, was a bit tight with his money, but not really stingy as in taking from others.
    Anyway one story I remember, probably a mix of stingy, funny, and disgusting.
    We were out one night at a club with all the lads, went for a bit of grub afterwards. It was a stormy night. My friend got himself a curry chips, which came in a foil container. We all went outside to eat as it was crowded inside, my friend had just taken the lid of the container and was about to dip in when a gust of wind came and blew the food out of his hands onto the road.
    Not one to waste, instead of buying more food, he got the plastic fork and started to eat the chips from the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Kolido wrote: »
    Not one to waste, instead of buying more food, he got the plastic fork and started to eat the chips from the road.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/16/bf/53/16bf5381495fcd3578bd9301e5b4d9ec.jpg
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Not sure if it's the case of being stingy or just impolite. So my good friend had two of her very good friends over from a northern European country. We all went out for an afternoon drink and I bought us a round , after a while 2 lads joined us whom these 2 girls knew . The 2 girls went to the bar and bought everyone a drink except for me. I thought it was rude, did they not get the meaning of buying rounds ?? ..maybe it's a culture thing or whatever :) as in -thou shall only buy drinks to the person you know well.. lol

After living in Germany I can tell you that's how they roll in Europe . If you buy someone a beer(invite them for a drink) there is no expectancy to have one bought back for you. They all split their bills even couples. I'd imagine it never crossed their mind to get you one back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,459 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Now, I've heard of pavement pizzas, but ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://i.imgur.com/hoCoPwY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I borrowed a DVD box set of StarTrek Season 5 or something from my younger brother who is very careful with his stuff.

I lost one DVD and couldn't find it for the life of me. He insisted I replaced it so I went online and got the cheapest version I could find and stuck the DVD in.

His set was pretty fancy but I couldn't bring myself to shell out for it - pretty scanty out of me which is weird as I'm usually normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Triangla wrote: »
    I borrowed a DVD box set of StarTrek Season 5 or something from my younger brother who is very careful with his stuff.

I lost one DVD and couldn't find it for the life of me. He insisted I replaced it so I went online and got the cheapest version I could find and stuck the DVD in.

His set was pretty fancy but I couldn't bring myself to shell out for it - pretty scanty out of me which is weird as I'm usually normal.

Ah here, that's perfectly ok. Would have gone second hand myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ah here, that's perfectly ok. Would have gone second hand myself.

Or burnt the missing episodes to a blank disc :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Years ago, I was in a pub with two mates Mr.A and Mr.B. I was driving, so wasn't drinking alcohol. I bought first round, two beers and a still water for myself....

Next round, it's Mr.A up. He asks me:

Mr A: "what would you like guys?"
    Me: "I'll have a still water please".
    Mr A: "I'm not paying for still water, you'll have a glass of tap water!..."
    Me: "OK fair enough, I'll have a sparking water please".

He proceeded to reluctantly buy me the sparking water...

The same guy, takes toilet roll out of the toilets from his place of employment and brings them home..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Not in the same league, but I recently received a letter from my bank telling me (wrongly) that I owed them 2 cent and legal proceedings would be issued against me if I did not pay them!! Rang them to be told by the person at the other end of the line that I owed 2 cent -
    so, it was not just a computer error!!
    Eventually, spoke to someone who listened to me and apologised profusely for their mistake. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Something rather similar happened to me a few years ago, except the stingy person was Irish - from Cork, actually! ;)
    I offered a lift to two people when we were attending a course a few miles from home. They were very good pals to each other and I was more friendly with one of them. When we arrived at the hotel where the course was being held, we were early enough to have a cup of coffee. This person turned to the other
    to whom I had offered a lift to the venue - ignoring me, who was standing there with them - and asked her whether she was having a tea or coffee!! I was absolutely gobsmacked at the meanness of it - not to mention the ignorance!! I should have left her to walk home!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Something rather similar happened to me a few years ago, except the stingy person was Irish - from Cork, actually! ;)
    I offered a lift to two people when we were attending a course a few miles from home. They were very good pals to each other and I was more friendly with one of them. When we arrived at the hotel where the course was being held, we were early enough to have a cup of coffee. This person turned to the other
    to whom I had offered a lift to the venue - ignoring me, who was standing there with them - and asked her whether she was having a tea or coffee!! I was absolutely gobsmacked at the meanness of it - not to mention the ignorance!! I should have left her to walk home!! :(

Ah you can't just drink with the Gods, you should feel lucky you were allowed in their presence ... like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Years ago, I was in a pub with two mates Mr.A and Mr.B. I was driving, so wasn't drinking alcohol. I bought first round, two beers and a still water for myself....

The same guy, takes toilet roll out of the toilets from his place of employment and brings them home..

I wouldn't have bothered buying rounds if you weren't drinking yourself. Doesn't excuse your mate's miserable behaviour though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Enigma IE wrote: »

huh, we have a rule that whoever drives is included in the round but doesn't have to buy one...is that not generally the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

ablelocks wrote: »
    huh, we have a rule that whoever drives is included in the round but doesn't have to buy one...is that not generally the case?

It would depend on if you're driving the people who are drinking. The poster didn't indicate if he was or just driving himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

My room mate buying kitchen roll for the bathroom because he had a 20c discount voucher to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Gandalph wrote: »
    My room mate buying kitchen roll for the bathroom because he had a 20c discount voucher to use.

No surer way to block the bog up, either. :eek:
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A guy I used to work with was a bit of a boy racer and wanted to paint the bonnet of his car black (rest of the car was white) but he was too stingy to fork out for getting it done professionally, or the next best thing, buying the proper spray auto paints and doing it himself. Oh no, he went out and bought a feckin tin of hammerite and painted the bonnet with a brush. It was the stupidest looking thing I ever saw! And he'd laid it on too thick so a big dribble had run down onto the grill.

Advertisement