Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

An acquaintance of mine used never put on his car heater until the temperature gauge was up to normal, I can vouch for this.
    A friend of his claimed (but I cant vouch for it) that the same guy used to switch off his windscreen wipers when passing under a bridge!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

An acquaintance of mine used never put on his car heater until the temperature gauge was up to normal, I can vouch for this.
    A friend of his claimed (but I cant vouch for it) that the same guy used to switch off his windscreen wipers when passing under a bridge!!.

The heater part, do you mean he would wait 5-10 minutes after starting the car before he would turn on the heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Brilliant!!

True or not, I nearly choked from laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hococop wrote: »
    The heater part, do you mean he would wait 5-10 minutes after starting the car before he would turn on the heater?

Isn't that how the heater works, from the engine heat? Isn't that just to stop the frozen air being blown into the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I do both of these.

Leaving the heater off for 3-4 minutes means the engine heats up faster, reducing wear and tear on the engine, most damage to an engine is done when it's cold. When you then switch on the heater it gives out proper hot air quickly, not this lukewarm plssy air for 10 minutes you get otherwise.

I flick the wipers off under a bridge as they would otherwise be dragging across a dry windscreen and the noise of dry wipers scraping on a dry windscreen is something I fupping hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Isn't that how the heater works, from the engine heat? Isn't that just to stop the frozen air being blown into the car?

Yeah that's right, just the way he says it, can't see how its stingy why turn on the heater when you start the car its just cold air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Oh god the wipers thing reminded me of my dad. Even if it's raining moderately heavily he won't put the wipers on to constant, so the windscreen will be impossible to see out of before they wipe again. It drives me cracked. It'd have to be absolutely pissing for him to put them on constant :(

Hococop wrote: »
    Yeah that's right, just the way he says it, can't see how its stingy why turn on the heater when you start the car its just cold air

You might wait a few minutes, driving off normally, but you will have some bit of heat in the air well before the temperature gauge even starts moving off the bottom of the scale.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Brilliant!!

True or not, I nearly choked from laughing.

What is NOT true is that he used to turn off the gas when turning the egg in the frying pan.!!

Red Kev wrote: »
    I do both of these.

Leaving the heater off for 3-4 minutes means the engine heats up faster, reducing wear and tear on the engine, most damage to an engine is done when it's cold. When you then switch on the heater it gives out proper hot air quickly, not this lukewarm plssy air for 10 minutes you get otherwise.

I flick the wipers off under a bridge as they would otherwise be dragging across a dry windscreen and the noise of dry wipers scraping on a dry windscreen is something I fupping hate.

You are supposed to have rubber(s) on the wiper "blades", that way they wont make too much noise even if its raining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

What is NOT true is that he used to turn off the gas when turning the egg in the frying pan.!!

But I commonly turn the gas off before the egg has finished cooking, as the pan retains sufficient heat to finish the job.
    Tight or what :D
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

You are supposed to have rubber(s) on the wiper "blades", that way they wont make too much noise even if its raining

I avoid dry wiper scraping, because drying dirt on the glass leaves thousands of micro scratches over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I avoid dry wiper scraping, because drying dirt on the glass leaves thousands of micro scratches over time.
    And the friction doesn't do the blades any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    But I commonly turn the gas off before the egg has finished cooking, as the pan retains sufficient heat to finish the job.
    Tight or what :D

I do something similar. When steaming veg on the stove I turn off the hob half way through the cook time and it stays hot, mine isn't gas though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Lived with one right stingy whore from Cork once. Right tight one this lad, would babble on about the evils of money to deflect from his unreal stinginess such as

Wearing clothes stitched together from old rags.
    Keeping toilet paper hidden inside his room
    Robbing food at buffets and walking miles out of his way to get a chicken roll for 20 cent less.
    Wearing clothes pulled out of a skip
    Going to soup kitchens for dinner

He use to meet all sorts and good forbid if they parted information with him. He would with very little notice and to someone he just meet drunk at a festival land at their house expecting to put him up for several days all the while farting his hole off in their house from all the cheap crap he eats, ie rice, beans and anything he can scavenge all the while whinging about his stomach"jays boi the owl stomach tis at me".
    Shudders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My American cousin presented me with a gift bag of toiletries. I was delighted until she said they were all the freebies she had collected from hotels on her travels.

Oh god the wipers thing reminded me of my dad. Even if it's raining moderately heavily he won't put the wipers on to constant, so the windscreen will be impossible to see out of before they wipe again. It drives me cracked. It'd have to be absolutely pissing for him to put them on constant :(

Yes, a bit like you putting on your dipped headlights in fog, the amount of drivers coming against you with F..all lights on who furiously flash you to tell you that you have your lights on still amazes me, of course they are only really telling you that you will "run your battery down".

Red Kev wrote: »

How many swipes of the windscreen does a wiper make when passing under a bridge? You must be travelling very slowly, have you tried using the engine?, it does save a lot of pushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

How many swipes of the windscreen does a wiper make when passing under a bridge? You must be travelling very slowly, have you tried using the engine?, it does save a lot of pushing.

It depends on the size of the bridge/overpass. I'd turn mine off in a tunnel but not under a small bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

RonanP77 wrote: »
    It depends on the size of the bridge/overpass. I'd turn mine off in a tunnel but not under a small bridge.

Ah lads. Have none of ye heard of a new fangled contraption called auto wipers?

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ah lads. Have none of ye heard of a new fangled contraption called auto wipers?

They are out for years, have them on a 2000 VW Bora, mixed feelings about them but they do work but the auto dimming rear view mirror is a gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

They are out for years, have them on a 2000 VW Bora, mixed feelings about them but they do work but the auto dimming rear view mirror is a gift.
    I have both on an 05 Avensis. I don't think I'd be able to have another car without them TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

They are out for years, have them on a 2000 VW Bora,

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have both on an 05 Avensis. I don't think I'd be able to have another car without them TBH.

Pair of stingy cun+s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Loving this windscreen wiper chat, by the way.

Enthralling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Don't turn them on these days without making sure they're not frozen to the windscreen. Back in the big freeze I turned mine on one morning and the blades got left behind while the metal bits scraped up and down the windscreen leaving arcs that are still visible today driving into sunlight and oncoming headlights.

Loving this windscreen wiper chat, by the way.

Enthralling stuff.

"By their wipers, shall ye know them - the stinges, the tightwads, and the deeppockets."

D Trent wrote: »
    Pair of stingy cun+s

I know a bachelor who makes a big flask of tea to keep him going all day, not quite sure why but would he also qualify for the hall of (mis)fame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

One of my "mates" called me stingy because I always bring my lunch to college.

I do it because I'd rather save the money, my own food is healthier and I'm a vegetarian so it's harder to get nice food.

So, am I stingy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I do it because I'd rather save the money, my own food is healthier and I'm a vegetarian so it's harder to get nice food.

So, am I stingy ?

No, just sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

So, am I stingy ?

you just had to add in the vegetarian bit.

Advertisement