Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Samsgirl wrote: »
    A friends brother in law charges her Mam €15 per week to run her into town to collect her old age pension. The lady is also receiving treatment for breast cancer and he charges to drive her to the hospital and back. None of the family have challenged him over this. If it was my Mam I would fcuking kill him!!!!

That is disgusting. The family are just as bad for allowing him to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Birneybau wrote: »
    Slightly tenuous but the sense of entitlement from this one:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/22/my-parents-in-law-have-gone-back-on-a-promise-to-give-us-their-house

Edited version below.
    Nothing pisses people off like broken promises, and the dashed dreams resulting.
    <edit>
    Although, apart from that generalisation, the letter writer seems like a right case of the manipulative kind. I'd not be surprised if it was her idea in the first place, thinking she'd got her foot in the door, pooped out a sprog, and was getting a house.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Samsgirl wrote: »
    A friends brother in law charges her Mam €15 per week to run her into town to collect her old age pension. The lady is also receiving treatment for breast cancer and he charges to drive her to the hospital and back. None of the family have challenged him over this. If it was my Mam I would fcuking kill him!!!!

latest?cb=20150425021210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That woman who cared for the man would be entitled to make a claim for sure. There is precedent to back it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3419238/Teenager-saves-7-72-train-journey-Sheffield-Essex-taking-PLANE-Berlin.html

That guy ^

Went 10 hours out of his way to save less than £8.

Instead of getting train from Sheffield to Essex, flew to Berlin and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3419238/Teenager-saves-7-72-train-journey-Sheffield-Essex-taking-PLANE-Berlin.html

That guy ^

He was making a point judging by the article. Plus Berlin is great!

That guy ^

Definitely making a point, he teaches classes on couponing :D

It's still pretty cool though, considering how much airplanes cost to fuel and maintain it still worked out cheaper than a train :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Train prices in the U.K. are mental. My brother and I went over to Glasgow to watch Celtic play. To save a few Euro we went a day early and Carlisle races were on that day so we said we'd go. Walked to the train station and they wanted £142 each. A journey of roughly the same distance Kildare to Kilkenny costs €18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

He was making a point judging by the article. Plus Berlin is great!
    rawn wrote: »
    Definitely making a point, he teaches classes on couponing :D

It's still pretty cool though, considering how much airplanes cost to fuel and maintain it still worked out cheaper than a train :D

Ah, I'm not judging him (well, I am) but if that's not stingy by the definition...

Ah, I'm not judging him (well, I am) but if that's not stingy by the definition...

You're definitely not wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

In comparison to some of the posts this really isn't all that stingy but I knew a guy who used to thin out pasata with water so he would get 4 meals out of one carton... Considering it's about 90c a carton I don't know was the trade off of taste v money really worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Have some v stingy relations! Rich as in house in foxrock, but will never turn on heating!!! Ever. It's like it doesn't exist. Everyone just wears coats etc around the house.

ken wrote: »
    Train prices in the U.K. are mental. My brother and I went over to Glasgow to watch Celtic play. To save a few Euro we went a day early and Carlisle races were on that day so we said we'd go. Walked to the train station and they wanted £142 each. A journey of roughly the same distance Kildare to Kilkenny costs €18.

From what I gather from afar, the prices that used to be normal are often still available, but you have to know the system, as they won't be presented to you as options. Certainly, advance booking, sticking the boot in the machine, etc all help.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    From what I gather from afar, the prices that used to be normal are often still available, but you have to know the system, as they won't be presented to you as options. Certainly, advance booking, sticking the boot in the machine, etc all help.

We could have booked online to go the next day but was still over £90 day return each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

TG1 wrote: »
    In comparison to some of the posts this really isn't all that stingy but I knew a guy who used to thin out pasata with water so he would get 4 meals out of one carton... Considering it's about 90c a carton I don't know was the trade off of taste v money really worth it!
    Its 47c or thereabouts in Lidl, that is one very stingy fecker alright

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

This thread is a great read. Reminds me of a story my mother told us about my Dad's aunt, who was very wealthy ( as the stingy ones usually are) but a tight ass when it came to money.

It was my eldest brother's 1st Communion back in the 70's and she gave him a fiver...but asked my mam for 3 pounds change. Mam gave it to her too in shock. "And her in a mink coat like a well dressed trollop!!!!" ( that's how mam finishes the story)

Why would you do that to a child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I got a text from an old 'friend' asking if I was about for his wedding later in the year.
    He wasn't going to send me a invite if not, so he could save on the stamp / cost of printing...

We could have booked online to go the next day but was still over £90 day return each.

Properly in advance - like a fortnight, I mean. And off-peak; preferably 2am. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Would have been cheaper to hire a car!:eek:

pablo128 wrote: »
    Would have been cheaper to hire a car!:eek:

Probably. Was a spur of the moment thing and when we seen the prices we aborted and went to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My brother keeps using my Lynx and aftershave saying that he doesn't want to waste his money on that stuff when mine is there. He doesn't listen when I say leave it.

Another brother as a joke gave me the €10 he owed me from pizza in a birthday card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

My brother keeps using my Lynx and aftershave saying that he doesn't want to waste his money on that stuff when mine is there. He doesn't listen when I say leave it.

Another brother as a joke gave me the €10 he owed me from pizza in a birthday card.

If Lynx still smells as bad as I remember, he's probably doing you a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If Lynx still smells as bad as I remember, he's probably doing you a favour.

Nah, Lynx black is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

rawn wrote: »

That woman reminds me of a time I worked in Tesco. Was out in the back warehouse with one of my colleagues who was doing last reductions at about 9:00pm. There were regular people mostly older ladies and gents who would arrive every evening knowing full well then time the last reductions would be put out at. I'll never forget this...

...She pushes the trolley with the reductions out to the shop floor and is set upon by a group of these people who literally shunt her out of the way and start grabbing at the reductions like something out of a documentary. One of the managers sees this walks over and calls them a pack of manner-less vultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

elfy4eva wrote: »
    That woman reminds me of a time I worked in Tesco. Was out in the back warehouse with one of my colleagues who was doing last reductions at about 9:00pm. There were regular people mostly older ladies and gents who would arrive every evening knowing full well then time the last reductions would be put out at. I'll never forget this...

...She pushes the trolley with the reductions out to the shop floor and is set upon by a group of these people who literally shunt her out of the way and start grabbing at the reductions like something out of a documentary. One of the managers sees this walks over and calls them a pack of manner-less vultures.

I can't remember a time I didn't see this in my local tesco. I even saw a crowd of people all in a circle around the heater thing with the cooked chickens ect in it. I went over to see what was on they were a large group (family) blocking anyone who wanted a chicken or whatever as they knew it was time they were reduced so were waiting on the staff member to reduce them so they could buy everything up at the discount rate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Kildare to Kilkenny is half the distance of Glasgow to Carlisle. It's closer to Dublin to Thurles in distance. If I go to the Irish Rail website a return today on that route is €48, Glasgow to Carlisle return is £20 (€27). Even the Anytime ticket is £37 return, €49 nearly the same as Irish Rail.

Maybe on that day due to the demand and buying at the station, etc. you were hard done by on price but it's not always extortionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It comes to the point of thinking "what's my personal time worth? Is it worth paying £7.72 for?" Of course it is.

If he was a real stinge he'd hitch his way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

elfy4eva wrote: »

roflol.. I am not as bad as that but I know the exact times when reductions are out and try to be there. Used to be a young woman who tried to beat me to it at Dunnes and she would literally empty the shelf. But this is a small Dunnes at 8.30 am and very quiet. My eating depends on the reduced shelves but always polite and gentle when I am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

cw67irl wrote: »
    I can't remember a time I didn't see this in my local tesco. I even saw a crowd of people all in a circle around the heater thing with the cooked chickens ect in it. I went over to see what was on they were a large group (family) blocking anyone who wanted a chicken or whatever as they knew it was time they were reduced so were waiting on the staff member to reduce them so they could buy everything up at the discount rate!!

Reading this made me really angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

That guy ^

He even looks like a right horrible stingy c*nt...

Advertisement