Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

try getting sub €1 meals in the back arse of nowhere in Qatar that are adequate as a lunch.

Make your own; sandwiches etc.. I never eat out; period.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I very much doubt that.

Well tough! It is truth.. I know how to budget and how to cook etc and have dietician training. Small pensions need to go a long way. Eating inexpensively is easy enough in Ireland IF you do not eat out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What has the merits of sandwich making, or budgeting, got to do with being stingey? Where have all the stingey stories gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well tough! It is truth.. I know how to budget and how to cook etc and have dietician training. Small pensions need to go a long way. Eating inexpensively is easy enough in Ireland IF you do not eat out.

I think if you don't eat out you might have to pay for fancier meals to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Dial Hard wrote: »

Less whinge, more stinge needed.

Mod

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I think the theory is (from when I was in school) the 'poor' kids had their parents make sandwiches for them to eat, while the 'rich' ones parents gave them money to buy chips and sweets and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Make your own; sandwiches etc.. I never eat out; period.

Try getting decent bread, butter and a meat worthy of a sandwich in the back arse of nowhere in Qatar. and besides, we were given money to eat out, its part of the deal of working abroad, every expense is taken care of by the company!!!

Try getting decent bread, butter and a meat worthy of a sandwich in the back arse of nowhere in Qatar. and besides, we were given money to eat out, its part of the deal of working abroad, every expense is taken care of by the company!!!

There's a complete void here. She is talking about not being able to afford to buy food while you, quite rightly as that is what the thread is about, are pointing out a stingey person who can well afford to buy a sandwich but won't.

Money is wasted on many people. The enjoyment of the freedom it gives them is lost on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Ex-colleague of mine used to carry a roller-bag on all flights, once the passengers had left, he would raid the galleys and take absolutely everything, meals, caviar, sandwiches, rolls, gateaux, fruit, flowers, soda, juices, milk, I was usually surprised that he didn't take the ice :)

I used to take delight into asking to eat after landing, so all of the food had to stay there until we ate, then we would invite everyone to come onboard and join us for dinner, really pissed this guy off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

smurfjed wrote: »
    Ex-colleague of mine used to carry a roller-bag on all flights, once the passengers had left, he would raid the galleys and take absolutely everything, meals, caviar, sandwiches, rolls, gateaux, fruit, flowers, soda, juices, milk, I was usually surprised that he didn't take the ice :)

I used to take delight into asking to eat after landing, so all of the food had to stay there until we ate, then we would invite everyone to come onboard and join us for dinner, really pissed this guy off!

I take it you're cabin crew. Because, if not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Caviar?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And who were you inviting onboard to join you for dinner? I'm confused by your story.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And who were you inviting onboard to join you for dinner?
    Ground staff and maintenance personnel....
    Caviar?????
    Our flight attendants used to take it and use it as a face mask!

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I think if you don't eat out you might have to pay for fancier meals to make up for it.

????? Cannot make sense of that ? I have M.,E which brings a host of serious food sensitivities so my diet is limited and simple and E numbers etc are out, as are many foods. Love plain simple foods . not processed. My diet would not please folk who like eating out.. But I enjoy it and it is safe AND costs little. No weight issues either way, bloodwork fine. Also age (heading for 80...) changes appetite etc. Grazing rather than a big meal.. works and well within my limited means.. eating out or processed stuff is not safe for me. And I never enjoyed it. LOVE my way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

????? Cannot make sense of that ? I have M.,E which brings a host of serious food sensitivities so my diet is limited and simple and E numbers etc are out, as are many foods. Love plain simple foods . not processed. My diet would not please folk who like eating out.. But I enjoy it and it is safe AND costs little. No weight issues either way, bloodwork fine. Also age (heading for 80...) changes appetite etc. Grazing rather than a big meal.. works and well within my limited means.. eating out or processed stuff is not safe for me. And I never enjoyed it. LOVE my way

Ok, we get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't mean to be rude, but you're taking issue with every stinge story for no reason.

I think posters here understand that yes, it's possible to make cheap, healthy meals. I mean, Aldi's five cheap veggies each week are a staple of my diet!

Being on a strict budget from a small pension, and cutting your cloth accordingly is being frugal - it's not stingey. It's making the most of the little you have.

Being handed x amount of money for specific expenses and refusing to spend it on specific expenses - stingey.

Just because you have little choice but to be frugal, doesn't mean the actions of others aren't stingey. Stingey would be living on as strict a budget as you do, when there's absolutely no requirement to do so.

In fairness to Graces7 I was making a joke there. It was pretty subtle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

OhHiMark wrote: »
    In fairness to Graces7 I was making a joke there. It was pretty subtle though.

It was lost on everyone and you've added another wave of none stingey stories.

It was lost on everyone and you've added another wave of none stingey stories.

Well there's plenty of server storage to go round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mod

We can get back to stingy stories or we can lock the thread? There are a few here heading for cards if they don't heed of the warnings.

Please move on, everyone.

• Advertisement

I knew a man some years ago. Literally had millions from selling family land and a very well paying job. He had plenty of stock and would go to the shop every evening to check share prices and sports reports in the evening paper before putting the paper back on the shelf and leave without buying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

This isn't the stingiest thing I've seen but in an attempt to get the thread back on topic...

We have a communal fridge in work where we store food and milk. We each have our own coffee / nespresso capsules, but we share teabags. Essentially whenever they run out, someone goes and buys them. It tends to even out in that whoever drinks tea, eventually buys teabags. No issue with teabags.

However milk is a different story. We all, again, tend to take it in turns to buy milk. I usually have my own (skim milk for porridge) and others would be the same (super milk / lactose free / whatever). Anyway, there's nearly always a communal milk on the go too as I'd sometimes buy one for making tea or whatever. 99% of the time there is one there.

There is one particular colleague in our office who earns more than all of us (we all know each other's salary as we're all on the same definable scale). And in the 2 years I am there, he has never once bought milk for the office, yet he drinks more coffee than anyone. He would also never think of bringing in a packet of biscuits or anything, yet will gladly eat anything else that's left there by anyone else.

Little thing but it bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Reading this, sitting here drinking my nescafe cappuccino i got for free in connolly station yesterday.

Tastes nice when its free, and i got it going home as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Myself and a friend went to China a few years ago. An accompanied trip, fine. She said she could not afford much but wanted to do the trip. She paid all the trip fees etc and so on so good so far.

I subbed her a few things like extra tours and such because I didn't want to leave her out of things because she said she couldn't afford the extras. Grand so far.

Then one day we were in a market in Beijing. Lovely silk items, bags and stuff. I had my eye on a bag and so did she. She picked the bag I wanted and wouldn't budge (she paid for it herself).

I couldn't help but think ..... feck that, she could have said OK that bag is yours after all you did for me... but no.

Lesson learned. Never again will I sub anyone. Sorry about that. But there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Women and their feckin' bags!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Billy86 wrote: »
    Women and their feckin' bags! :p

I know. LOL it's mad.

But the point was that my friend didn't even acknowledge that I had subbed lots of her side trips because she was skint in that regard.

Or so she said!

Again, lesson learned, and bags are ftw too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Myself and a friend went to China a few years ago. An accompanied trip, fine. She said she could not afford much but wanted to do the trip. She paid all the trip fees etc and so on so good so far.

I subbed her a few things like extra tours and such because I didn't want to leave her out of things because she said she couldn't afford the extras. Grand so far.

Then one day we were in a market in Beijing. Lovely silk items, bags and stuff. I had my eye on a bag and so did she. She picked the bag I wanted and wouldn't budge (she paid for it herself).

I couldn't help but think ..... feck that, she could have said OK that bag is yours after all you did for me... but no.

Lesson learned. Never again will I sub anyone. Sorry about that. But there ya go.

I had a friend like this, we were in college together, scrimping and saving and trying convince ourselves beans were ok nutritionally to live on.

She rang up one day really upset because her apartments electricity bill was huge and even split 3 ways it was eating into her food budget. I loaned her €30 because I'd hate to see her starve.

Two nights later pictures of her out in a nightclub appeared on bebo (I know, showing my age). I was sitting in because I didn't have the money to go out after lending her my last €30! I was not impressed! And I never got paid back.

What do you mean by 'she paid the trip fees'?

Sounds like she meant she paid her own way and SE paid for extra tours and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Got invited to a party tonight (I ain't going), but was asked by the host to bring drinks for the party. Now normally I bring beer for myself and would never expect to be provided with beer, but this douchebag, who I detest, asked us to bring a bottle of Gin and Tonic water... we don't drink Gin and Tonic. He's a grade A knob head.

We had a mate like this too a few years ago. Hosted a party and was making some large crap concoction with vodka and fruits etc. and asked his close circle of friends to "chip in" for a drink that none of us had any intention of drinking.

Needless to say we didn't pay for it.

Advertisement