Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nebaw wrote: »
    Same thing happens in work, the soap also keeps going missing.

Hope he's caught, clean handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If the min wage ever goes up in Dublin (Dublin only, similar to London) will we get stinge bags who will get jobs in Dublin but actually live outside the county.

Would they still be at a loss with commute costs etc. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Back around 2003, when I discovered the internet, I got invlved in a kind of mini fan club of a particular band and their lead singer. Over the years since, some of us from all over the world have met up at concerts, get togethers etc.
    10 of those people and their wives, partners, friends etc have stayed or dined in my house. Every time, without fail, they always arrive with bags of drink, food and things for the children.
    Last year I got a call from one of them who was coming with her boyfriend from Canada to Ireland for 3 weeks to do a trip from Donegal down to Cork on the wild atlantic way. They booked a B&B near me for two nights. I met them on the first night, we had a few pints. The following day I showed them a few sights around the locallity and asked them for dinner that evening. I got in 3 bottles of wine and 18 cans.
    They arrived totally empty handed. The drink ran out at 11.00 and they sat drinking coffee and talking sh1te till 2 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

A friend of mine often goes around the supermarket car park collecting trolleys that have been abandoned and using the euros collected to pay for his messages.

He had a pair of Tesco value shoes that cost him a tenner that he wore for a year or so, when the soles eventually separated from the to of the shes he glued and used tacks and staples and black electrical tape to hold them together for a while longer.

This same fella often collected receipts discarded on the ground outside Tesco when the club card hasn't been used and goes to the customer service desk to get the points applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Ive seen a few collect other peoples clubcard points at self service checkouts..why go to the bother cant be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ive seen a few collect other peoples clubcard points at self service checkouts..why go to the bother cant be worth it

You can use clubcard points for loads of things, ferry crossings, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great for phone as €5 voucher takes €15 off pre pay or bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Great for phone as €5 voucher takes €15 off pre pay or bill

And great for vouchers for Milanos or TGIs using Tesco Boost to x4 the value of the original voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

So it can be worth it?

• Advertisement

So it can be worth it?

Sure can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So it can be worth it?

Every little helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I know a guy who drilled a small hole in his fridge door so he could check the interior light had gone out !

chillin117 wrote: »
    I know a guy who drilled a small hole in his fridge door so he could check the interior light had gone out !

Would been easier to pull bulb....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Would been easier to pull bulb....
    He needed the light, also ''needed'' to know it was not still on wasting money. I would hate to live in such a twisted world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I knew an auld fellow from Mayo who reckoned his housewas so cold one winter, he had to leave the fridge door open to warm the kitchen up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

That story is either completely made up, or you know an incredibly stupid man who didn't think to push the button while the fridge door is open to make sure it turns the light off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

OhHiMark wrote: »
    That story is either completely made up, or you know an incredibly stupid man who didn't think to push the button while the fridge door is open to make sure it turns the light off.

A good story can be very stingy with truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

That's not stingey that's resourceful sure they probably get chucked in the bin otherwise? I don't use the points myself but I know a few who have used them for trips away, entry tickets etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

kingtut wrote: »
    That's not stingey that's resourceful sure they probably get chucked in the bin otherwise? I don't use the points myself but I know a few who have used them for trips away, entry tickets etc

Back in the days of everybody smoking, I worked with more than one who would pick up every discarded gift coupon from the packets of those who didn't collect them.
    Some took it to extremes, as usual, and I recall a skip-diver who was after fag coupons.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

elfy4eva wrote:
    Depends on the circumstance, if the person in front offers then fair enough, but if you're earwigging on their transaction and premeditated hoping to mozie in on the points it's absolutely stingy.

Even though it will end up in the bin otherwise? Can't say I can see how it is stingey in the slightest. Seems resourceful to me.
    Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Back in the days of everybody smoking, I worked with more than one who would pick up every discarded gift coupon from the packets of those who didn't collect them.
    Some took it to extremes, as usual, and I recall a skip-diver who was after fag coupons.

I don't see anything wrong with him collecting the coupons but skip diving is definitely a step too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

Was in the pub last Saturday for the day of sport that was in it with a few lads from the area, Arsenal game, Aintree and Joshua fight. Anyway said i'd have a flutter in the Grand National so I walked to the bookies none of the lads I was drinking with wanted a bet so they stayed put. Got a phone call when I arrived from one of them to have a tenner on Goonyella for him he'd had a change of heart (god bless him) Bets are on and the national is off, my horse falls mid way anyway your man's horse Goonyella comes 5th.

I never bother with each way betting (you bet to win, not to get your money back is my motto) anyway your man says lovely jubly thats 25 quid for placing. I then tell him that I didn't do it each way and he tells me ''well there's not a chance i'm giving you the tenner for that anyway, I wanted 5 each way'' has a big meltdown in the pub about how I didn't do it each bloody way. I let him off anyway just to avoid a scene, probably should have done each way for him but the lazy c*unt wasn't too quick to head down to the bookies in the first place.

What an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was in wetherspoons the other night with 3 other guys, and me and the other guy ordered food (we don't drink) and one of the others didn't want food and was happy to just drink, the other one had 9 pints but didn't want to pay for food in wetherspoons which is hardly expensive food, so he went across the street to mcdonalds and bought 3 of them euro burgers and held them under the table while he stuffed in his gob. Tight get he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

OH and I run a food stall. A neighbour asked if their son (16) in Transition year could photograph our stall for a school photography project. We planned on paying him a few quid for the trouble as he was going to provide the photos to us for our website. On Sunday he's out taking the photos, when he's finished we offer him a cake from the stand, I couldn't believe it when he produced his loyalty card looking to get it stamped. I just walked away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He's 16, can't really judge someone for chancing their arm like that at that age since they're still in the stage of pushing out boundaries to see where they can push them to. Also depending on how pally-pally things were when he was doing the shoot, it's possible he got the wrong impression (and wouldn't be nearly as used to any kind of professional environment). Not sure off your post though if you were going to pay him cash and in the end opted to pay him with a cake though, or if the cake was just an additional 'thanks' of sorts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's 16, can't really judge someone for chancing their arm like that at that age since they're still in the stage of pushing out boundaries to see where they can push them to. Also depending on how pally-pally things were when he was doing the shoot, it's possible he got the wrong impression (and wouldn't be nearly as used to any kind of professional environment). Not sure off your post though if you were going to pay him cash and in the end opted to pay him with a cake though, or if the cake was just an additional 'thanks' of sorts?
    I was going to pay him cash aswell but after that all he got was the cake. Harsh?
    Maybe but it was cheeky to look for a loyalty card to be stamped when he was offered a free cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ah but surely if the work was good enough for a cake and some cash, then it was enough for a cake and a stamp? I see it from both sides, the guy probably didnt think :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lads, all this debate about club card points and loyalty cars stamps. Were gone worse than them across the water.
    I remember when you were stingy if you didn't spend a thousand pounds on a Tuesday night down the pub, and if guests came for a cup of tea, you had to buy them decking for their dog annex.

RIP this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Joo0 wrote: »
    I was going to pay him cash aswell but after that all he got was the cake. Harsh?
    Maybe but it was cheeky to look for a loyalty card to be stamped when he was offered a free cake.

So you stiffed him on the agreed fee over a loyalty card stamp? Yup, he's the stingebag alright...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Treadhead wrote: »
    So you stiffed him on the agreed fee over a loyalty card stamp? Yup, he's the stingebag alright...
    There was no agreed fee. The lad was looking for work experience.

Advertisement