Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Move on, you stingers.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

What the jaysus is a stamp on a card worth? Less than a few bob and you think that's stingy of him to ask, after getting a free photoshoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

So this mortal offence happened to occur just before you had to pay him and was so heinous that it necessitated immediate non-payment of owed money?

Funny how often that happens.

Petard, hoisted, Sah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

you only live once

if someone gives out about paying 20c more for a bag of chips etc and goes on a self intitled rant about how they were ripped off, they derserve to be charged less then they should be told to **** off. theres people starving all over the world and youre giving about being 0.20c less.

spend as much as you can when ur alive it means **** all to you when ur dead ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Jesus that last story made me cringe. Your neighbours kid ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

When I was travelling around Australia and New Zealand my mate sold another one of the lads 1/4 of an onion when we were all cooking our dinner.

We weren't even all broke at the time or anything. Couldn't understand why we thought it was stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

If someone tried to sell me a quarter of an onion I could not hide my contempt and vitriol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If someone tried to sell me a quarter of an onion I could not hide my contempt and vitriol.

It would bring tears to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

This is just a minor thing but I notice it so often and it really grinds my gears. Went for a bite to eat last week with my girlfriend and two others and when we were paying mine came to 22.50 so I threw in 25, my girlfriend only had a starter for 6 or something and gave 7 or 8. The other two paid together and I had a glance at the total when we got up only to see that the tip was less than €2 total! I see that sh1te all the time and it drives me bananas. Whatever about not tipping, at least pay your bloody share you stingebags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

How much was her starter for 6? Was she really hungry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

OhHiMark wrote:
    How much was her starter for 6? Was she really hungry?

That's really not the point of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not exactly 'stingy', but I just saw this on the "Is selling on adverts a joke?".

Actually breath-taking.
    I gave away a perfect dvd player with the remote with batteries for Free

.....the person that got it left negative feedback because it didn't have a scart cable included.........New dvd players dont come with scart leads ether

I never mentioned it did nor was it pictured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was selling a piece of jewelry on adverts for 40 euro, it was worth around 80 but I was selling it at 40 for a quick sale, someone asked me if I would sell it for 35, i said no its very cheap at 40, so they agreed to buy it at 40 euro, they asked me if i had the box it came in, i said no. they drove 2 hours to come pick it up, arrived in a brand new bmw, and kept asking me if i had the box for the piece of jewelry, i said no, you can get them in a pound shop for a euro or two. it was christmas time so i guess it was a present for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I was selling a piece of jewelry on adverts for 40 euro, it was worth around 80 but I was selling it at 40 for a quick sale, someone asked me if I would sell it for 35, i said no its very cheap at 40, so they agreed to buy it at 40 euro, they asked me if i had the box it came in, i said no. they drove 2 hours to come pick it up, arrived in a brand new bmw, and kept asking me if i had the box for the piece of jewelry, i said no, you can get them in a pound shop for a euro or two. it was christmas time so i guess it was a present for someone.

That's not stingy. That's just haggling. They did nothing nothing there IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dodge wrote: »
    That's not stingy. That's just haggling. They did nothing nothing there IMO

Except the owner said there was no box upon agreeing a price. He kept asking which was met with the same answer. That's not haggling. It's bad manners and also a bit miserable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bad manners and annoying, sure.

That's not stingy IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was behind a well-known tight arse in a supermarket today, he got very annoyed because his shopping came to €50.67, and after handing in 2 €50 notes, the cashier gave him change of "only" €49.30, leaving him short 5c as he rounded incorrectly.

Not completely stingy, but very fecking annoying to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I refill my water bottle from the cooler in work every day before i go home. It just kind of struck me that my colleagues might see me as a stinge :D i recall seeing it mentioned on this thread a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

rawn wrote: »
    I refill my water bottle from the cooler in work

Not stingy at all- but bad for you as those bottles are not designed for re-use and will start degrading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭gigantic09

My sister was home for the weekend and decided to take part in a local running event that I was helping out with.Turned out that I was unable to attend on the day but I rang her that evening to see how she got on.She was delighted with her time,and the free tee shirt and all the food they put up afterwards.When I remarked that her name didn't seem to be in the results,she replied "o I didn't bother signing up so just jumped in at the start,and saved myself the 30quid".I was torn between mortification and disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

gigantic09 wrote: »
    I was torn between mortification and disgust.

Mortification, disgust, and delight that you'd have a marvelously stingey story to post on here!

The secret thrill of the stinge-spotter!

gigantic09 wrote: »
    My sister was home for the weekend and decided to take part in a local running event that I was helping out with.Turned out that I was unable to attend on the day but I rang her that evening to see how she got on.She was delighted with her time,and the free tee shirt and all the food they put up afterwards.When I remarked that her name didn't seem to be in the results,she replied "o I didn't bother signing up so just jumped in at the start,and saved myself the 30quid".I was torn between mortification and disgust.

<cough> Late entrant. Didn't have the time for all the admin.
    There are a few at every event, but if they had the decency to just bung a couple of quid in the pot, it would help all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭gigantic09

check_six wrote: »
    Mortification, disgust, and delight that you'd have a marvelously stingey story to post on here!

The secret thrill of the stinge-spotter!

That's true.Did get some revenge a couple years later after she got married.Again she was home for the weekend,and was looking forward to opening a late wedding card left in by a neighbour.we drafted a fake card and inserted a voucher from a leisure center in town as the "gift".She was pretty pissed,so rang up the center to see what exactly the voucher entailed(assuming it must have included spa treatments etc).After getting her to describe the voucher and realising it had no serial number as such,they informed her it must just be a general voucher that entitled her to a single use of the pool and gym facilities.She was livid "thats all the ****er's got me,a voucher for a ****in swim".We left her hanging till she went to ring the neighbours to tell them where they could stick the voucher.In fairness she joined in,in the laughter when we gave her the genuine wedding card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One from my college days (pre water charges!) that I forgot to post.

Guy I was sharing a house with one morning comes down the stairs one morning, opens his hot water bottle and pours it into the kettle. Then makes a cup of tea.

I still don't know whether it was more miserly or disgusting.

Waiting for someone to say "ah shure that's grand shure the water was bolied".......

Guy I was sharing a house with one morning comes down the stairs one morning, opens his hot water bottle and pours it into the kettle. Then makes a cup of tea.

Waiting for someone to say "ah shure that's grand shure the water was bolied".......

Pre-warmed though; saves on electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

My sister reuses the water from her water bottle every night, pours it into the kettle and reboils, night after night.... I don't drink tea in her house

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

My sister reuses the water from her water bottle every night, pours it into the kettle and reboils, night after night.... I don't drink tea in her house

Would her tea not taste...rubbery??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My mam used to reuse the water from the water bottle too, but just as water for the washing up and stuff like that. One day she made tea from it by accident, it was disgusting! I think that was the last time she reused the rubbery water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Pre-warmed though; saves on electric.

But cool water boils quicker than warm water, or maybe it's warm water freezes quicker then cool water.

Advertisement