Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Frynge wrote: »
    But cool water boils quicker than warm water, or maybe it's warm water freezes quicker then cool water.

Hmmm... simply adding heat to warmed water seems to be straightforward enough, but in the latter, I'd suspect that water that's already been warmed has had the dissolved air removed and therefore might freeze quicker.
    Otoh, that might be total balleaux.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

It would definitely smell nice. Hot water bottles smell deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Sapphire wrote: »
    Would her tea not taste...rubbery??

If you don't rinse out the kettle it would, WHERE'S THE WATER SAVING THEN???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was at a 50th birthday party last night. The conversation went like this.

Mate: will you keep an eye on that pint for half an hour?

Me: No problem. Where are you going?

Mate: I'm going home for a smoke. No cu*t has any weed with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I think I have a first, altruistic stinge.

Brother in law was taking a piss and left the jacks without flushing the toilet. Conversation went like this.

Me; will you flush the toilet.
    Bil; but I just took a piss.
    Me; flush the toilet.
    Bil; but we have to pay for water.
    Me; do you pay for water?
    Bil; no, but someone does.
    Me; yes that someone is me now flush the god damn toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Brother in law was taking a piss and left the jacks without flushing the toilet. Conversation went like this.

Me; flush the toilet.

Were you looking over his shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Were you looking over his shoulder?

No, walking across the landing. He doesn't close the door either but the other things he does to annoy me are for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

My workplace provides free lunches. I don't have the appetite for a large meal so early and I normally just take the main meal, and don't bother with starter (breads or salad) or dessert.

I've noticed colleagues at desks in my area bringing up bread and bowls of salad (egg, tuna, ham etc), fruit and yogurts, and I've seen them transfer the contents into lunchboxes, presumably to bring home for a later meal. I mentioned it to a colleague once and he said he does it too, means he doesn't have to spend money on food during the week.

The company obviously wants a happy workforce, and everybody is entitled to their free lunch with no rules about when you eat it. However, I like food and the food served at work is not great, especially the salad selection.

Anyway, not sure if it counts as stingy. Maybe if the food was nicer I'd be at the same!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Butterface wrote: »
    My workplace provides free lunches. I don't have the appetite for a large meal so early and I normally just take the main meal, and don't bother with starter (breads or salad) or dessert.

I've noticed colleagues at desks in my area bringing up bread and bowls of salad (egg, tuna, ham etc), fruit and yogurts, and I've seen them transfer the contents into lunchboxes, presumably to bring home for a later meal. I mentioned it to a colleague once and he said he does it too, means he doesn't have to spend money on food during the week.

The company obviously wants a happy workforce, and everybody is entitled to their free lunch with no rules about when you eat it. However, I like food and the food served at work is not great, especially the salad selection.

Anyway, not sure if it counts as stingy. Maybe if the food was nicer I'd be at the same!:D

not stingy.
    less money on food , more money for beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Me; flush the toilet.

However... if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down :D

• Advertisement

shar01 wrote: »
    However... if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down :D

If it moves, kill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Sister got a two pairs of socks from an aunt of ours as a present. Funny thing is there was a sticker on one of the socks saying "part of pack of 5, €3.50". Meaning she took the other three pairs !. Pretty sure this woman hangs out toilet paper on the washing line.

She is in no way stuck for money either. Just pure parsimonious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

...and she was prolly feeling very generous in giving 2 pairs which is twice as much as 1 pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Sister got a two pairs of socks from an aunt of ours as a present. Funny thing is there was a sticker on one of the socks saying "part of pack of 5, €3.50". Meaning she took the other three pairs !. Pretty sure this woman hangs out toilet paper on the washing line.

She is in no way stuck for money either. Just pure parsimonious.

I was reading a Cries of Retail type thread on another forum and one said that she had a customer kicking up hell that she couldn't return a single pair of knickers she got from her boyfriend as a Christmas gift. She took great pleasure in informing her that the item was one of a 5 pack and seeing it dawn on the irate and abusive customer that he must have gifted the other four pairs elsewhere was a rare Schadenfreude moment in retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Sapphire wrote: »
    I was reading a Cries of Retail type thread on another forum and one said that she had a customer kicking up hell that she couldn't return a single pair of knickers she got from her boyfriend as a Christmas gift. She took great pleasure in informing her that the item was one of a 5 pack and seeing it dawn on the irate and abusive customer that he must have gifted the other four pairs elsewhere was a rare Schadenfreude moment in retail.

must of been my aunt:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I'd be straight onto the bank to cancel that cheque,

Cheque was well cashed,that article is doing the rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,106 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TV3 tonight at 10.30 might be of interest, features a lad taking 30 empty egg boxes back to a farm to be given 1p for each one...

Britain's Biggest Scrooge
    This playful documentary seeks the biggest misers of them all to see what can be learned from their behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I once heard a story of a chap getting a takeaway after a night out, instead of getting a taxi, he got the delivery driver to drop him home for the delivery fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I once heard a story of a chap getting a takeaway after a night out, instead of getting a taxi, he got the delivery driver to drop him home for the delivery fee.

My uncle did that a few times. Not out of stingyness, more out of necessity as taxis were few and far between in his area. He would go into the Chinese after the pub and order for delivery and get a lift home with the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

This isn't stingy, it's GENIUS! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Shergar6 wrote: »
    This isn't stingy, it's GENIUS! :eek:

if it ever happened, which i would say it didn't. why would they deliver the order to your house if you are in the chipper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

sullivlo wrote: »
    My uncle did that a few times. Not out of stingyness, more out of necessity as taxis were few and far between in his area. He would go into the Chinese after the pub and order for delivery and get a lift home with the driver.

I used to be a delivery driver for a chinese take away in a small town and would often drop lads home with their food. I'd only do it for regulars that I knew. Save them having to wait ages for a taxi from the next big town over and was a handy few extra euro delivery charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I used to do that as well but I knew the driver personally. I don't think the owners would have been impressed if they knew he was carting me around with him.
    One time he brought me home but we forgot the food. We had to go back around again lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

arayess wrote: »
    not stingy.

Of course it's bloody stingy.

The company are providing free lunches, to be eaten at lunch time, when the employees are at work, on their lunch breaks.

It's not providing free breakfast, dinner and tea for its employees. Once you have had your free lunch, if you are taking additional food home, you aren't just being stingy, you are stealing imo ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

ProudDUB wrote: »
    arayess wrote: »
    not stingy.

Of course it's bloody stingy.

The company are providing free lunches, to be eaten at lunch time, when the employees are at work, on their lunch breaks.

It's not providing free breakfast, dinner and tea for its employees. Once you have had your free lunch, if you are taking additional food home, you aren't just being stingy, you are stealing imo ! :mad:
    I'm not sure. What happens to the left over food if nobody takes it home? Is it thrown out? That is waste, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm not sure. What happens to the left over food if nobody takes it home? Is it thrown out? That is waste, plain and simple.

If the employees are taking left over food home, with the blessing and permission of their employers, that is one thing. Just randomly helping yourself to whatever happens to be there, is something else entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Butterface wrote: »

If the food is going to go to waste, I guess it's not stingy. (as long as they're not hogging the food) But yeah, canteen food often ain't great. But some might just view it as fuel during the week and have nice food at the weekend.

One of my friends said a colleague of hers hogs the free fruit delivery they get in work at the start of the week, hoarding a lot of fruit on her desk and leaving a much depleted supply for everyone else. I suppose you could say you snooze you lose, but it just comes across greedy to me.

• Advertisement

Maireadio wrote: »

One of my friends said a colleague of hers hogs the free fruit delivery they get in work at the start of the week, hoarding a lot of fruit on her desk and leaving a much depleted supply for everyone else. I suppose you could say you snooze you lose, but it just comes across greedy to me.

That's disgraceful. It's also disgraceful that nobody's got the guts to tell her straight that she's a hog and it happens to be unacceptable behaviour.

Advertisement