Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Years ago the president was coming to our village. There's a house right on the way into the village, one of them houses that was never painted and it looks a bit of a show, very beaten with the years.

The council offered to paint the house for him, so it wouldn't look as bad when the president came.

He refused to let them, stating "who'll pay for it to be painted after that"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

TV3 tonight at 10.30 might be of interest, features a lad taking 30 empty egg boxes back to a farm to be given 1p for each one...

Britain's Biggest Scrooge

Honestly, that doesn't sound that bad. It depends on how close he lives to the farm. If it's only a short walk, why not, and the farmer can recycle, so it saves him money and is good for the environment.
    The egg boxes wouldn't take up too much space in the house either if they're stacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    That's disgraceful. It's also disgraceful that nobody's got the guts to tell her straight that she's a hog and it happens to be unacceptable behaviour.

Ah ya know, work politics. Gotta love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Honestly, that doesn't sound that bad. It depends on how close he lives to the farm. If it's only a short walk, why not, and the farmer can recycle, so it saves him money and is good for the environment.
    The egg boxes wouldn't take up too much space in the house either if they're stacked.

A friend of mine saved up all the egg boxes he got from the local farmers market. Brought them back to them after about six months, he was only being a good citizen, cutting down on waste and seeing to recycling. He got two big jars of honey out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Years ago the president was coming to our village. There's a house right on the way into the village, one of them houses that was never painted and it looks a bit of a show, very beaten with the years.

The council offered to paint the house for him, so it wouldn't look as bad when the president came.

He refused to let them, stating "who'll pay for it to be painted after that"

He had a point. 30 years ago most small towns and villages were in native grey concrete and stone and the boom period saw various colours break out. For decades the grey only needed the odd wash, if that, but now the painted ones need re-painted every few years else they start to look right scabby.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

pgj2015 wrote:
    if it ever happened, which i would say it didn't. why would they deliver the order to your house if you are in the chipper?

I worked in a delivery shop and people would occasionally ask for this service. I always refused because didn't want to take the risk of them suing for something spurious.

People definately ask though and I got the impression that other managers allowed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I worked in a delivery shop and people would occasionally ask for this service. I always refused because didn't want to take the risk of them suing for something spurious.

People definately ask though and I got the impression that other managers allowed it.

I would say the managers or drivers would be leaving themselves open to be heavily fined for working as an illegal taxi, plus if there was a car crash, would the passenger be insured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Ah here, Jesus lads, their giving lifts home to people that they are friendly with. Just a bit of value added service.

Not leaving themselves open to anything or miraculously becoming uninsured because they have a passenger.

pgj2015 wrote:
    I would say the managers or drivers would be leaving themselves open to be heavily fined for working as an illegal taxi, plus if there was a car crash, would the passenger be insured?
    I know they were insured through work as a delivery driver so I don't know what else would be covered. I know I wasn't allowed to let drivers do it do o didn't allow it.
    Frynge wrote:
    Ah here, Jesus lads, their giving lifts home to people that they are friendly with. Just a bit of value added service.
    In my case it was just random punters rather than friends.
    Frynge wrote:
    Not leaving themselves open to anything or miraculously becoming uninsured because they have a passenger.

My job was simple so I didn't try to complicate it by crossing personal as work insurance. I got on surname tjis week and i was added of i would be using the cat for paid raxi type services so you could miraculously become uninsured if you said you wouldn't be a taxi.

I couldn't care less if the driver did drop them home for a few bob- as long as I didn't know about it. Once I knew about it I told them not to do it. Maybe that makes me stingy but I wasn't taking on risks I didn't understand for zero gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

People over thinking this. Vast majority of fast food deliverers don't even give their real name to the chippers, never mind be insured for carrying "work" passengers.

If lads want to offer lifts to friendly people for a few extra quid, good luck to them.

Folks who "demand" that service to save a few quid are indeed stingy

(back to the stinge, and less of the analysis of the stinge I hear the mods say soon)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is delivery driving a cash in hand job then ?

Because without giving their real name, how are they registered for tax ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

What delivery driver do you get??

wally79 wrote: »
    What delivery driver do you get??

???

???

Childish attempt at humour

wally79 wrote: »
    Childish attempt at humour

I honestly don't know what you were implying!

I honestly don't know what you were implying!

you're better off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My dad did it years ago, it was cash in hand then, dunno about now. He only did it 2 nights a week, and the money earned was paltry, probably below tax brackets? Not sure how it works tbh

Edit: money WAS paltry

rawn wrote:
    My dad did it years ago, it was cash in hand then, dunno about now. He only did it 2 nights a week, and the money earned wasn't paltry, probably below tax brackets? Not sure how it works tbh

Depends on the establishment and standards etc. I worked for a franchise so drivers were on the books and trained in food hygiene and all that jazz.

This is not stinge talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Because without giving their real name, how are they registered for tax ?

No such thing as tax my good man :pac: it's a total cash in hand job. However I have heard of some takeaways that want everything above board with drivers having the right insurance. But that's once in a blue moon. Even then, would only be for a big place like a dominoes. Never a local chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Joo0 wrote:
    I was going to pay him cash aswell but after that all he got was the cake. Harsh? Maybe but it was cheeky to look for a loyalty card to be stamped when he was offered a free cake.

He could post on here about how he took photos for a business to use on their website, but instead of payment they offered him a cake.

Seems stingy to me anyway

• Advertisement

Maireadio wrote:
    One of my friends said a colleague of hers hogs the free fruit delivery they get in work at the start of the week, hoarding a lot of fruit on her desk and leaving a much depleted supply for everyone else. I suppose you could say you snooze you lose, but it just comes across greedy to me.

A guy did this in the last place I worked, one day walking past his desk I took a peach from it

He was incensed shouting that was his and what was I doing.

Manager came over asking what the hell was going on.
    He tells manager I robbed his peach.
    Manager admonishes me saying if I wanted fruit take it from the basket, not someone else's lunch.
    I pointed out that this was the fruit from basket.

Manager looks at it then at me then him and goes are you serious. I go yep he takes it all the time and I want a bloody peach for once.

Manager goes Tom( made up name) can I speak to you privately for a moment.

Comes back 10 mind later all red.

I was delighted he got his cumopence(spelling?) and I got a peach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

jcd5971 wrote: »

I'd have taken about an hour to eat that peach. Making completely exaggerated nom-nom noises with each bite too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

A guy did this in the last place I worked, one day walking past his desk I took a peach from it

He was incensed shouting that was his and what was I doing.

Manager came over asking what the hell was going on.
    He tells manager I robbed his peach.
    Manager admonishes me saying if I wanted fruit take it from the basket, not someone else's lunch.
    I pointed out that this was the fruit from basket.

Manager looks at it then at me then him and goes are you serious. I go yep he takes it all the time and I want a bloody peach for once.

Manager goes Tom( made up name) can I speak to you privately for a moment.

Comes back 10 mind later all red.

I'm confused. Saying it "it was from the fruit basket" alone wouldn't be enough to get him in shít, as that was for the staff to help themselves to. Did you point out to the boss that he hogs the fruit from the staff fruit basket?

Maireadio wrote:
    I'm confused. Saying it "it was from the fruit basket" alone wouldn't be enough to get him in shít, as that was for the staff to help themselves to. Did you point out to the boss that he hogs the fruit from the staff fruit basket?

He took most of the nice stuff from basket in communal area and brought it to his desk where he had one of those plastic type bowls,
    It was obvious he was taking the piss
    We just let it slide too long, and that day I said no No MoRE ON THIS DAY I SHALL HAVE MY PEACH.

Also more than 1 or 2 people backed me up it was like an I am Spartacus moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

He took most of the nice stuff from basket in communal area and brought it to his desk where he had one of those plastic type bowls,
    It was obvious he was taking the piss
    We just let it slide too long, and that day I said no No MoRE ON THIS DAY I SHALL HAVE MY PEACH.

Also more than 1 or 2 people backed me up it was like an I am Spartacus moment

SO PERISH ALL FRUIT STEALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dodge wrote: »
    I'd have taken about an hour to eat that peach. Making completely exaggerated nom-nom noises with each bite too

https://media.riffsy.com/images/be05b9ab9196fcedb10824bc5760c198/raw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

A girl I know is getting married in September. She's sending unofficial invites out via text message and asking for rsvps through text. She will then send the official paper invite through the post to the people who said they can come, rather than waste stamps and invites on people who'll decline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

My mother and aunt run a charity event every year for the Irish Cancer Society. Organise food, prize giveaways etc. Every year there is no shortage of ol wans filling their handbags with sandwiches, snacks and whatever else is on offer.

After doing this, many of them will take the remainder of the tray that they swipe from and take it to their table to share amongst their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

A girl I know is getting married in September. She's sending unofficial invites out via text message and asking for rsvps through text. She will then send the official paper invite through the post to the people who said they can come, rather than waste stamps and invites on people who'll decline

Seems like a good idea to me except i wouldn't bother with the paper invites at all, text confirmations would do me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

She might have done it to be cheap but this is normal. I've been at 7 weddings in the last 2 years & 6 of them (none of them misers) did something similar - save the date by email/text/website, followed by official I invitation letter by post.

Advertisement