Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A girl I know is getting married in September. She's sending unofficial invites out via text message and asking for rsvps through text. She will then send the official paper invite through the post to the people who said they can come, rather than waste stamps and invites on people who'll decline

That sounds easier for all involved, I'd go as far as saying that then sending a card anyway is the opposite of stinginess.

All weddings should do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I thought the done thing was to send a gift to any wedding you are invited to but cant attend.

Also do a lot of people not hold onto the invites as momentos and such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Frynge wrote: »
    I thought the done thing was to send a gift to any wedding you are invited to but cant attend.
    Maybe I'm stingy but I don't
    Why would you hold onto an invitation of a wedding you didn't go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Dodge wrote: »
    Sweet memories of all the money you saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

osarusan wrote: »
    Sweet memories of all the money you saved.

But you'd still have the money you didn't spend and you could take it out and stroke it every so often. Much more satisfying than a card, surely? :D
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Frynge wrote: »

ya she is missing a trick here, nothing annoys me more then having to send a present (cold hard cash) for a wedding i'm not even attending, but apparently that is the done thing, and in fairness i got presents off people who didn't attend mine.

so if she is saving on sending out lets say 30 invites then she is probably saving about 60-90 quid but is probably losing out on at the very least €1000 and thats allowing for 30% of those not giving anything.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    But you'd still have the money you didn't spend and you could take it out and stroke it every so often. Much more satisfying than a card, surely? :D
    I think you've misread my post.

You keep the invitations to look over them and say stuff like 'that was my cousin, got married in the Canary Islands. Flights and 3 nights in a hotel saved on that one.'

Far more personal and valuable reminiscing than just cold hard cash.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Once upon a time I got a wedding invite for "John and Mary" and showed it to a few people.

Some of them were upset that they'd known the couple longer than I had and yet I got an invite and they didn't. Others were just surprised they were getting married.

It was of course for a different "John and Mary" but it's great fun winding people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'd have taken about an hour to eat that peach. Making completely exaggerated nom-nom noises with each bite too

I immediately thought of this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Lol I think if I pulled the nic cage peach speech from face off I may have been the guy in managers office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A girl I know is getting married in September. She's sending unofficial invites out via text message and asking for rsvps through text. She will then send the official paper invite through the post to the people who said they can come, rather than waste stamps and invites on people who'll decline

We were worse, we just texted people... no written invite at all, just log onto a web page for details..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No problem at all with people moving to electronic means of sending wedding invites. I think that the traditional paper invites are a terrible waste of time, money & effort. They contribute sweet eff all to peoples enjoyment of the day itself, so what's the point really? In the days before email, they served a purpose, but not any more imo.

I have zero problem with receiving an email/e-vite/electronic/text invite to a wedding, if it means that the bride and groom have more money left over to spend on their dress, reception, honeymoon, stag and hen do's etc etc, or just to keep the budget down overall.

As to keeping the invites as a keepsake momento, shag that. I am a fairly sentimental person, but I have very little interest in hanging onto any wedding invite, that I have ever gotten. Just like Christmas & birthday cards, even the really great ones, from my most loved, loved ones, go into the bin, sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

ProudDUB wrote: »
    As to keeping the invites as a keepsake momento, shag that. I am a fairly sentimental person, but I have very little interest in hanging onto any wedding invite, that I have ever gotten. Just like Christmas & birthday cards, even the really great ones, from my most loved, loved ones, go into the bin, sooner or later.

For those more sentimental ,get some nice paper and print off the e-vite. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

One time in work one of the teams had a work night out planned, I wasn’t on the team myself. Anyway, it was arranged for seven o’clock at this pub/restaurant. But there was limited budget for food and drink so the plan was to get finger food and then spend the rest of the budget on drink. This guy, without telling anyone, called the pub to change the booking to 6 o’clock. By the time the rest of the team had arrived he had just finished a bit steak dinner and an expensive bottle of wine, wiping out most of the budget. Unbelievable neck on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

One time in work one of the teams had a work night out planned, I wasn’t on the team myself. Anyway, it was arranged for seven o’clock at this pub/restaurant. But there was limited budget for food and drink so the plan was to get finger food and then spend the rest of the budget on drink. This guy, without telling anyone, called the pub to change the booking to 6 o’clock. By the time the rest of the team had arrived he had just finished a bit steak dinner and an expensive bottle of wine, wiping out most of the budget. Unbelievable neck on him.

I find it hard to believe work went ahead and paid for that

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Sounds like gross misconduct and immediate sacking to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Sounds like bull**** to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

benjamin d wrote:
    Sounds like gross misconduct and immediate sacking to me.

If someone did that to us at work, they wouldn't last long after, if everyone went to a manager with that or owner depending on company size, with that story I'm sure the offender would promptly find himself with lots of free time for steak and wine

Wow, there's a few hostile know it all ****s in here today. Not sure why I have to explain myself, but here goes.

First, anyone who thinks this could be an immediate sacking has no idea of how disciplinary process's work in large multi national companies. There is massive burden of proof and HR and legal departments are extremely cautious before taking any action they need to have an extremely water tight case. It is very difficult to get fired in these companies.

In this case, the bar manager told 'someone' called him to change the reservation time. We all knew who it was, but of course he denied it. No proof. No good to HR. Second, there was no company policy or explicit communication about what you can and can't order on a team night out. He just said he thought he was allowed what was on the menu. Again no proof, no good for HR. There was a disciplinary hearing but nothing came of it. Because of the reasons above.

And lastly, this is supposed to be a bit of fun thread about the stingiest things you've seen people do, this was mine. Why would I make this up? I've nothing to gain from it. But you get all these keyboard warriors claiming Phoney! Bit fat phoney!
    If you don't believe the story fine, I really don't care. Losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Wow, there's a few hostile know it all ****s in here today. Not sure why I have to explain myself, but here goes.

First, anyone who thinks this could be an immediate sacking has no idea of how disciplinary process's work in large multi national companies. There is massive burden of proof and HR and legal departments are extremely cautious before taking any action they need to have an extremely water tight case. It is very difficult to get fired in these companies.

In this case, the bar manager told 'someone' called him to change the reservation time. We all knew who it was, but of course he denied it. No proof. No good to HR. Second, there was no company policy or explicit communication about what you can and can't order on a team night out. He just said he thought he was allowed what was on the menu. Again no proof, no good for HR. There was a disciplinary hearing but nothing came of it. Because of the reasons above.

And lastly, this is supposed to be a bit of fun thread about the stingiest things you've seen people do, this was mine. Why would I make this up? I've nothing to gain from it. But you get all these keyboard warriors claiming Phoney! Bit fat phoney!
    If you don't believe the story fine, I really don't care.

Chill out dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I think somebody's owner was stingy with the cream this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Last year I was living with a girl who turned out later to be very unhinged, but at the beginning she was pleasant but distant. I got on very well with the other flatmates but I think she didn't like them. Anyway, she had friends over and they were making sushi in the kitchen. I was getting something in the fridge when she calls me over "Would you like some sushi? Oh, you never tried it before, here!". I played to good flatmate and chatted to her friends and got on well. Her friends got me to make and roll a bit of sushi. I ate one or two slices to be polite as I didn't actually enjoy it that much.

After 10 mins I thank them and return to my business, then she walks over and says that will be €2 for all the ingredients! I should have seen then the manipulation involved; she just led me into it and then got money out of me so she wouldn't have to pay as much. There was a lot of food, they were making plates of the stuff and I had one or two slices.

If she invited me to chip in at the start I'd have no problem, but to offer me a taste and then only later expect payment is bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

It just seems unusual that somebody would put their career on the line for a steak dinner as well as shafting their fellow employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

wally79 wrote: »
    It just seems unusual that somebody would put their career on the line for a steak dinner as well as shafting their fellow employees

Some people are fucking clueless, and do not think past immediate gratification.

It is extremely unusual. That's why i didn't post it in the 'things I see people do everyday all the time' thread.

Yeah, got a nice meal for free but probably screwed up his chances of advancement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I've seen people do far stupider things that obviously hastened their exit from companies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If she invited me to chip in at the start I'd have no problem, but to offer me a taste and then only later expect payment is bollocks!
    It is illegal for a trader to demand payment for unsolicited services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

osarusan wrote: »
    I think you've misread my post.

You keep the invitations to look over them and say stuff like 'that was my cousin, got married in the Canary Islands. Flights and 3 nights in a hotel saved on that one.'

Far more personal and valuable reminiscing than just cold hard cash.

I should be so lucky, I have to go to a wedding in Jamaica in three weeks! Costing over £2k sterling all inclusive, so my plan is to eat and drink my way through £2k's worth of food and alcohol over two weeks and then technically, in my head anyway, my flights and accommodation were free!!

In other words, Jamaican me broke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

So, a bit of background. Our neighbours from across the road have been family friends for years. They have two kids and my mam used to mind them once a week, and then later my sister and I would babysit them in their own house a night or two per week while the parents went out. We could be there for hours longer than expected and there was no set rate or anything; we usually got like... €25 between us for 4 hours. We wrote it off as them seeing it as a neighbourly favour or something and we appreciated the money in any case.

Out of the blue they asked my dad for a lift to the airport for 8.30am. He wasn't too happy about the short notice but he did it anyway because they said they didn't want to take a taxi... bearing in mind that we live fairly close to the airport and it costs less than €20, and both work. Even at that, the airport bus runs by that time!

They got to the airport and... I don't know if this was meant to be some sort of way of thanking my dad, but they gave me him their half-empty milk carton which would have expired while they were away. We're wondering if they'll be expecting to pick it up when they're back. :pac:

Advertisement