Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

To be fair .... I live 1.5 hours away and wouldnt be hugely put out being asked for a lift to airport. Knowing it works both ways. The half opened milk I cant really comment on. And id have been happy-out with 25 euro between sis and I for 4 hours back in the day! Even now to be honest! !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

To be fair .... I live 1.5 hours away and wouldnt be hugely put out being asked for a lift to airport. Knowing it works both ways. The half opened milk I cant really comment on. And id have been happy-out with 25 euro between sis and I for 4 hours back in the day! Even now to be honest! !!

€3.12 each an hour. Stingy as ****

€3.12 each an hour. Stingy as ****

I trust its babysitting as we now know it ! Not child labour! I was lucky to get a fiver a night. The English stations and maybe a bag of crisps! Maybe even a bag of chips when they home! Happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

While we were 15ish when that all began, I think by 18/19 a little more would've been in order! But anyway, that was just background info

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I trust its babysitting as we now know it ! Not child labour! I was lucky to get a fiver a night. The English stations and maybe a bag of crisps! Maybe even a bag of chips when they home! Happy out!

I used to get left 10 Benson & Hedges and told to help myself to whatever I wanted in the booze cabinet. :D

I was good though, and never drank on duty. They had two junk food presses - one soley for crisps and another for every other kind of sweet/chocolate. So I did damage to that all right :pac:

I got well paid for it too - more than my mates got in their babysitting jobs. Had that job for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I work in a tourist-oriented clothes shop.
    Just had a guy asking could he borrow a rain poncho for an hour to go for a walk.
    They cost €5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

dee_mc wrote: »
    I work in a tourist-oriented clothes shop.
    Just had a guy asking could he borrow a rain poncho for an hour to go for a walk.
    They cost €5.

Start up an ad-hoc hire business.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dan Jaman wrote:
    Start up an ad-hoc hire business.

As I explained to yer man, it's a disposable poncho, not really a reusable thing!
    I dunno, he didn't say he couldn't afford it or didn't have cash on him or anything, clearly just wasn't willing to pay for it!
    People are great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

My fiancé and I stayed at his parents house this weekend, bringing a big juicy leg of lamb in tow. We were having it on the Sunday and were thinking they'd get a meal on Monday evening after we left out of it too.

A friend of my fiancé's parents who lives a good bit away from them was staying a night for a catch-up, dog in tow. He has a reputation for being tight and a wee bit greedy and he didn't disappoint!

So he arrived, arms swinging. Not even a bottle of wine or some chocolates or even just a packet of biscuits. I was cooking the roast and served up. We had a bit of a potato shortage due to my future folks-in-law forgetting to get some more in. So everyone had about a roast spud and a half but there were lashings of other roast veg there. I put the trays down on the table and yer man lashes in. Grand, no problems there. He had a big portion, but no big deal. Well, except for that I had done a little roast onion for everyone and he took three of them! My fiancé's father reached for the last spud, he hadn't really had his share. So future father-in-law put the last spud on his plate and yer man starts craning his neck from the other side of the table. Future FIL starts making the "Oh, go ahead there if you want it" noises, fully expecting the guy to say to the man of the house "No, course not, you go ahead" but nope, he holds out his plate for the last spud with no hesitation. It was suggested by a few that they could half it but my very polite FIL insisted and the stingy dude didn't put up much resistance. Then stingy dude went up to the leg of lamb on the counter and cut more off for himself, a good bit after having lots at the table already. Then after dinner he asked my future MIL to carve quite a large portion for his dog! :eek: By the end, there was basically none left and certainly not enough for a meal for two the next day. And this was a huge leg of lamb and there had only been five for dinner. I was a bit annoyed (internally) as I didn't feckin' buy the lamb for him and his dog! Now, of course I was happy for him to take part in the roast but his greediness and lack of self-awareness was gobsmacking.

Later on he was telling us a story about how once he had a ticket for the Dublin-Cork Aircoach express but thought it was a Bus Éireann ticket. He asked the Bus Éireann driver if he could use the ticket on their bus, because he had a Dublin-Cork ticket - just with a different company! The bus driver for some reason said he could go into the station and get a guy to sign the ticket so that he could ride on the bus. He went in and whoever he was sent to refused, naturally. So he went back out to the driver and, as he tells it, the driver let him on easily. I'd imagine stingy dude leaned on him a lot or deployed some sob story to get on. The whole time he was telling the story, I was thinking "Why did you not just buy a ticket for the Bus Éireann bus?". I mean, it wasn't their problem he had bought a ticket with a different bus company, and he expected them to carry him free of charge because in his head he had a Dublin-Cork ticket.

I think so many stingy people just have a huge sense of entitlement! And are completely brazen. But, IMO, it is such a short-sighted outlook. In my experience, once burned by a stingy person, people are less forthcoming with favours and generosity towards that person because nobody likes to be taken advantage of. Stingy people really do know the price of everything and the value of nothing. You reap what you sow. And who wants a reputation as being a miser? This guy spent the whole day talking about the cost of things, where to save money here, where he got bargains there. What a depressing way to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Elliott S wrote: »
    My fiancé and I stayed at his parents house this weekend, bringing a big juicy leg of lamb in tow. We were having it on the Sunday and were thinking they'd get a meal on Monday evening after we left out of it too.

A friend of my fiancé's parents who lives a good bit away from them was staying a night for a catch-up, dog in tow. He has a reputation for being tight and a wee bit greedy and he didn't disappoint!

So he arrived, arms swinging. Not even a bottle of wine or some chocolates or even just a packet of biscuits. I was cooking the roast and served up. We had a bit of a potato shortage due to my future folks-in-law forgetting to get some more in. So everyone had about a roast spud and a half but there were lashings of other roast veg there. I put the trays down on the table and yer man lashes in. Grand, no problems there. He had a big portion, but no big deal. Well, except for that I had done a little roast onion for everyone and he took three of them! My fiancé's father reached for the last spud, he hadn't really had his share. So future father-in-law put the last spud on his plate and yer man starts craning his neck from the other side of the table. Future FIL starts making the "Oh, go ahead there if you want it" noises, fully expecting the guy to say to the man of the house "No, course not, you go ahead" but nope, he holds out his plate for the last spud with no hesitation. It was suggested by a few that they could half it but my very polite FIL insisted and the stingy dude didn't put up much resistance. Then stingy dude went up to the leg of lamb on the counter and cut more off for himself, a good bit after having lots at the table already. Then after dinner he asked my future MIL to carve quite a large portion for his dog! :eek: By the end, there was basically none left and certainly not enough for a meal for two the next day. And this was a huge leg of lamb and there had only been five for dinner. I was a bit annoyed (internally) as I didn't feckin' buy the lamb for him and his dog! Now, of course I was happy for him to take part in the roast but his greediness and lack of self-awareness was gobsmacking.

Later on he was telling us a story about how once he had a ticket for the Dublin-Cork Aircoach express but thought it was a Bus Éireann ticket. He asked the Bus Éireann driver if he could use the ticket on their bus, because he had a Dublin-Cork ticket - just with a different company! The bus driver for some reason said he could go into the station and get a guy to sign the ticket so that he could ride on the bus. He went in and whoever he was sent to refused, naturally. So he went back out to the driver and, as he tells it, the driver let him on easily. I'd imagine stingy dude leaned on him a lot or deployed some sob story to get on. The whole time he was telling the story, I was thinking "Why did you not just buy a ticket for the Bus Éireann bus?". I mean, it wasn't their problem he had bought a ticket with a different bus company, and he expected them to carry him free of charge because in his head he had a Dublin-Cork ticket.

I think so many stingy people just have a huge sense of entitlement! And are completely brazen. But, IMO, it is such a short-sighted outlook. In my experience, once burned by a stingy person, people are less forthcoming with favours and generosity towards that person because nobody likes to be taken advantage of. Stingy people really do know the price of everything and the value of nothing. You reap what you sow. And who wants a reputation as being a miser? This guy spent the whole day talking about the cost of things, where to save money here, where he got bargains there. What a depressing way to live.

1. Read the Roald Dahl leg of lamb story.

2. Give a dog a bone.

3. Bring a sack of spuds.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My stingey brother was too stingey to fly home for our father's funeral last year. Okay, they never really got on, but it never dawned on him that those still living might have appreciated his attendance. And he only lives in the UK, I'm not talking about a long-haul flight from Australia or anything. But at short notice, the prices were too steep for his pocket!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

quickbeam wrote: »
    My stingey brother was too stingey to fly home for our father's funeral last year. Okay, they never really got on, but it never dawned on him that those still living might have appreciated his attendance. And he only lives in the UK, I'm not talking about a long-haul flight from Australia or anything. But at short notice, the prices were too steep for his pocket!!

Depending on how short the notice was, he could have done it the slower way for relative peanuts - bus, foot ferry, bus again. Last time I did that it was a surprise to me how cheap it was but it was slow. If he was lucky, a coach all the way for not a lot of cost.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The man is essentially a parasite, it's a pathetic way to live but there are a huge amount of them out there.

One of my 'mates' is always acting stingy, but what he did here is more like theft then being stingy.

We were at a pub watching a match during the euro's so the place was hectic. He was going to to get a pint so I gave him a fiver to get me a pint. He ordered them, got them and was waiting to pay. A different bar tender asked him did he pay, he said yes, so got the two free pints. Fair enough everyone likes a free pint. When he came back he told us what happened so i asked for my money back (he wasn't offering it back). He said no your not getting it back, it's luck of the draw. So he not only got a free pint, he made a fiver off me, so that covered the other pint he had.

The same lad wouldn't come to france with us for the euro's because of the cost. He lives at home, doesn't have to a pay rent or bills, and makes 100 a day. For of use got hotels, ferry, food + beer, petrol and tolls for about 700 each. As careful as I am with money I would rather have memories with my mates than a few hundred extra in the bank.

What's worse is he told you about it! Had he not, he'd be a fiver up and a free pint anyway! Yet he was so brazen he had to gloat! Ultimate stings.

What's worse is he told you about it! Had he not, he'd be a fiver up and a free pint anyway! Yet he was so brazen he had to gloat! Ultimate stings.

I thought you were replying to me, I was like "Huh?". :pac:

I haven't been able to look at him the same since. You robbed the pub, and you robbed your mate of 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Canard wrote: »
    So, a bit of background. Our neighbours from across the road have been family friends for years. They have two kids and my mam used to mind them once a week, and then later my sister and I would babysit them in their own house a night or two per week while the parents went out. We could be there for hours longer than expected and there was no set rate or anything; we usually got like... €25 between us for 4 hours. We wrote it off as them seeing it as a neighbourly favour or something and we appreciated the money in any case.

Out of the blue they asked my dad for a lift to the airport for 8.30am. He wasn't too happy about the short notice but he did it anyway because they said they didn't want to take a taxi... bearing in mind that we live fairly close to the airport and it costs less than €20, and both work. Even at that, the airport bus runs by that time!

They got to the airport and... I don't know if this was meant to be some sort of way of thanking my dad, but they gave me him their half-empty milk carton which would have expired while they were away. We're wondering if they'll be expecting to pick it up when they're back. :pac:

This reminds me of a woman my sister used to babysit for as she was a family friend for a time. Well known actually not just locally but nationally as well, but particularly locally as a being about as stingy as a human being could possibly get.

Sister was babysitting, arrived at the house, and the first thing she was asked to do was clean the kitchen which was an absolute state. She was there at about 6pm, stayed overnight, and was collected the next day at around mid-day. She was given €15 for her troubles.

Sister was very disappointed and mentioned it to my parents, who were very miffed and my mother made a point of contacting her and mentioned that my sister was very disappointed with the amount of money for the amount of time she put in.

The stingebag apologises and arrives up the house a short time later with an envelope which she hands to my sister and apologies for short-changing her and gives some half-baked spiel about how she must have miscounted it.

She leaves and my sister opens the envelope to find a crumpled €5 note.

Yet he was so brazen he had to gloat! Ultimate stings.

Some people are honestly proud of themselves over stuff like this. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Was having a bit of grub with 5 lads before a session one night
    Meal came to €255 , called €50 a heads lads and we all threw in 50 bills
    Except one lad who said he had no cash and would pay with his card
    So scooped up our cash and promptly paid just the €255 on his card

He said nothing and after we were getting ready to get up and go I asked for his credit card receipt , when I pointed out that he had stiffed the waitress €45 bills he argued that he was never offered the chance to give the tip.
    Lads all started winding him up until he put one of the €50s down

Had a big sulky head on him for over an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Have a mate who is a bit of a stinge but by no means not the worst I know. However, he has a really poor grasp of pub culture and just doesn't understand the etiquette of it all. He rarely sits down for pints and would rather predrink in someone's house then get into a nightclub as early as possible in order to avoid the cover charge.

One time we were only having a few in a pub though. Someone got a round in and then it was his turn. I knew this was going to happen so I wasn't surprised one bit. He returns with just a drink for himself. I wasn't drinking that night so it didn't bother me too much but I was nearly embarrassed for him for not having the cop on/self awareness to get a round in. He rightly got a telling off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

One time in work one of the teams had a work night out planned, I wasn’t on the team myself. Anyway, it was arranged for seven o’clock at this pub/restaurant. But there was limited budget for food and drink so the plan was to get finger food and then spend the rest of the budget on drink. This guy, without telling anyone, called the pub to change the booking to 6 o’clock. By the time the rest of the team had arrived he had just finished a bit steak dinner and an expensive bottle of wine, wiping out most of the budget. Unbelievable neck on him.

I actually cant believe someone would do this. This is brutal stuff.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    On a night out with a group of friends a few years back. One particularly stingy friend in the group.

Heading for the chipper after a few pints and he asks another friend of mine for a loan of €2 for a bag of chips. Now, knowing what this fella is like, my friend pulled him on it and asked him "Do you not have any cash on you?"

His reply?

"Ah well I do ya, but I don't want to break a fiver"

True story.

This is common by some people. Not breaking notes. I don't get it. They have money and will have to break a note at some point but rather bum money off others instead of spend their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don't really understand this one. Firstly, nothing wrong with scooping up the cash and paying with his card? And secondly, €45 seems a big tip. He should have left one of couse but more like €25? And if ye all threw in €50, then he actually paid more for his meal than the rest of ye. Everyone should have put in a tip of €5 or so. Why should he be the only one to put down tip money when ye all gave him a wee bit less than what the amount each was?

He was having grub with 5 lads meaning there was 6. It was supposed to be 50 each (300). Yerman only actually paid a fiver for his meal. Until he was made throw down the 50 for a tip.

I know a girl (who is all about self entitlement in relationships) who NEVER EVERY carries her purse or card and its on purpose to avoid paying

We went away recently and when it came to paying the accommodation she goes oh I forget my purse my card is in it which is outside in the car

so another friend coughed up €30.00

we went straight to the offy to buy drink and she picks up 2 bottles of vodka for €12.00 total and went to the till and did the same thing

the friend got the bill and she turns around and said I owe you €42.00 ( as if she will ever pay)

so that was grand until we went to the meal. 6 of us. the bill came out and we went to split it 6 ways

I was sitting next to her and she turns to the boyfriend and I hear her say. oh I must have left my bank card at home (when she told another friend it was in the car/purse) and her BF obv had to get her bill.

everytime we are out I have never ever seen her hand over money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't really understand this one. Firstly, nothing wrong with scooping up the cash and paying with his card? And secondly, €45 seems a big tip. He should have left one of couse but more like €25? And if ye all threw in €50, then he actually paid more for his meal than the rest of ye. Everyone should have put in a tip of €5 or so. Why should he be the only one to put down tip money when ye all gave him a wee bit less than what the amount each was?

6 lads at 50 each is 300. The bill is 255 + a tip of 45 (which is big alright).

5 lads throw in 50 (total 250), last lad pockets the 250 and instead of getting 300 charged to his card as everybody assumes, only pays 255 on his card, so only 5 of his own money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

I don't really understand this one. Firstly, nothing wrong with scooping up the cash and paying with his card? And secondly, €45 seems a big tip. He should have left one of couse but more like €25? And if ye all threw in €50, then he actually paid more for his meal than the rest of ye. Everyone should have put in a tip of €5 or so. Why should he be the only one to put down tip money when ye all gave him a wee bit less than what the amount each was? Going by your description, it sounds like ye all stiffed him a bit.

It was him AND 5 lads so 6 in total. 50 each was €300

so your man only paid €5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I don't really understand this one. Firstly, nothing wrong with scooping up the cash and paying with his card? And secondly, €45 seems a big tip. He should have left one of couse but more like €25? And if ye all threw in €50, then he actually paid more for his meal than the rest of ye. Everyone should have put in a tip of €5 or so. Why should he be the only one to put down tip money when ye all gave him a wee bit less than what the amount each was? Going by your description, it sounds like ye all stiffed him a bit.

I assume it's 5 other lads, so 6 in total.

joeguevara wrote: »
    He was having grub with 5 lads meaning there was 6. It was supposed to be 50 each (300). Yerman only actually paid a fiver for his meal. Until he was made throw down the 50 for a tip.
    osarusan wrote: »
    6 lads at 50 each is 300. The bill is 255 + a tip of 45 (which is big alright).

5 lads throw in 50 (total 250), last lad pockets the 250 and instead of getting 300 charged to his card as everybody assumes, only pays 255 on his card, so only 5 of his own money.
    wally79 wrote: »
    It was him AND 5 lads so 6 in total. 50 each was €300

so your man only paid €5

Oh right, thought it was five people total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

joeguevara wrote: »

But once he threw down the 50 he'd paid 55 altogether so he ended up paying more.

Advertisement