Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

fineso.mom wrote: »
    But once he threw down the 50 he'd paid 55 altogether so he ended up paying more.

That's true, and the sweetest part of the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

But once he threw down the 50 he'd paid 55 altogether so he ended up paying more.

That's what he gets for trying to be a sneaky bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

Serves him right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I used to live with 2 lads who were stingy in their own way

I was the only person who would buy food shopping for myself in the house

these lads never ever bought food for the house

so a couple of weeks went by and I noticed food items missing etc and thought nothing of it and one day I noticed the bread seemed like it was opened

so I decided to count the unopened slices in a pan one day and went to work

when I came home I checked the pan and it looked perfect. Label wrapped around it didn't looked open etc so I counted the slices and 2 were missing so the guy was opening the bread,taking it and closing the wrapper as if it was perfect and never opened. I mean come on like. Could have bloody asked and I would give it

the other guy who go to his parents every 2nd week with a bin bag and return to have it full of can food and frozen food. he would just raid there presses and these guys worked full time. I eventually cut back on the stuff I bought for the house because I was sick of them stealing it and denying it hen questioned

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Was having a bit of grub with 5 lads before a session one night
    Meal came to €255

Maybe it's my inner stinge surfacing,but €255 for a "bit of grub".Take it yee didn't go for the McDonald's supersaver menu :-).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

The man is essentially a parasite, it's a pathetic way to live but there are a huge amount of them out there.

Agreed. I couldn't believe the bus ticket story and that he was proudly telling it, especially after being such a greedy guts at dinner. I'd be mortified, as a fully grown non-decrepit human, to admit to basically begging to be let on a bus without paying. And he honestly didn't seem to see what was wrong with what he had done. Like, if what happened to him re: the wrong tickets happened to me, I'd be annoyed, sure (though mostly at myself). But I'd chalk it down to experience and pony up for the correct ticket. I think one-way is only like €12 or €13. And the driver was taking on some personal risk doing that. If it was found out, he'd be in trouble.

I'd also never visit someone's house, especially people that were kind enough to accommodate my dog, without bringing a small gift for them. He took his dog for a long walk in the evening, where he would have passed numerous shops (they live in a small town) so there was ample opportunity for him to pick up something for them.

My MIL was going to cook for a fry for him the next morning as he had a long drive back the next day. She hadn't said it to him but he made a big deal of saying "Honestly, a bowl of cereal will be grand" but when she said "No, no, I'm cooking a fry", he just accepted straight away. I know she was already planning on cooking it but just, I hope people get what I'm saying here, just the big "I'll just have cereal" song and dance and quick acceptance of the big brekkie being cooked for him just irked me, like as if he mentioned breakfast to nudge them to offer a fry. My MIL often feels she has to cook big breakfasts for us when we're down and it's very easy to insist that you just want a light breakfast. I hate people to be rushed of their feet waiting on me all weekend. Relaxation and chatting is important too!

Anyway, twas a galling display! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Maybe it's my inner stinge surfacing,but €255 for a "bit of grub".Take it yee didn't go for the McDonald's supersaver menu :-).

€42.50 each. 6 lads on a night out so I'd assume there were a few drinks on the bill. That's not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

I've enjoyed reading this thread and I had been meaning to post so here is mine.

My father is very tight with money which can be quite embarrassing.
    Lucky I don't see / speak to him often as it would bother me.

I don't think he has every bought new clothes and only buy his clothes in charity shops.
    My sister brought him to get a suit one time for a wedding. He found a suit he liked in a charity shop, his shameless haggling with the women behind the counter got him a suit/tie/shirt for 5 euro. She obviously took pity on him probably taught he was the one who needed charity. I felt sorry for my sister when she told me, who haggles in a charity shop ffs.

Another time he went into Dunnes looking at socks / underwear. He picks up a 4 pack of boxers and shouts at my mother and I " these are too expensive - 5 euro". I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

A couple of years ago my father goes to hand me 5 euro for my birthday, then takes it back and went to give me 2 euro instead. I told him he can keep it and walked off in disgust.

On to food.
    My mother cooked two chickens and had them wrapped up and kept warm while she was out shopping. He obviously was hungry and couldn't wait for dinner when she was out shopping. We come back home to him munching the remains of both the chickens which he must of known was for all of us.

He buys the cheapest stewed steak for my mother to cook on the pan. He then complains he as his trying to eat it that its tough for his teeth. Well no surprise its like leather, what did he expect.

One summer I was staying in house so I brought my own dinner as I knew I couldnt stand boring his meat and veg dinner.
    I had a boil in the bag curry which I made and he asks can he try it. Didn't know what it was and had never tried it before so I say go ahead. He took half of mine after polishing of his meat and veg dinner too.

This one is more scummy rather than stinge. Back in the 90's my father bought a car cheap at action and drove it for a yr or 2. He didn't take care of it (no surprise there). He then wanted to sell, so he cleans it up a little and fixes up best he could for next to nothing. There was a lot of visible rust. So he gets filler and paint to fill up the holes/rusted spots. He fold a gullible guy to buy the car and he made profit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

jackoire wrote: »
    A couple of years ago my father goes to hand me 5 euro for my birthday, then takes it back and went to give me 2 euro instead. I told him he can keep it and walked off in disgust

I cringed even reading that.. wow that is poor form. Don't give any present rather than that embarrassing gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

wally79 wrote: »
    €42.50 each. 6 lads on a night out so I'd assume there were a few drinks on the bill. That's not bad

Exactly it , and while 45 tip on 255 is a little big its not excessive and it was about a handy 50 each instead of like 47.50 each or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Exactly it , and while 45 tip on 255 is a little big its not excessive and it was about a handy 50 each instead of like 47.50 each or the like.

He basically stole from his friends. Or almost did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

wally1990 wrote: »
    I know a girl (who is all about self entitlement in relationships) who NEVER EVERY carries her purse or card and its on purpose to avoid paying

We went away recently and when it came to paying the accommodation she goes oh I forget my purse my card is in it which is outside in the car

so another friend coughed up €30.00

we went straight to the offy to buy drink and she picks up 2 bottles of vodka for €12.00 total and went to the till and did the same thing

the friend got the bill and she turns around and said I owe you €42.00 ( as if she will ever pay)

so that was grand until we went to the meal. 6 of us. the bill came out and we went to split it 6 ways

I was sitting next to her and she turns to the boyfriend and I hear her say. oh I must have left my bank card at home (when she told another friend it was in the car/purse) and her BF obv had to get her bill.

everytime we are out I have never ever seen her hand over money.

Bigger fools ye are to keep paying for her. you have to get rid of so called friends like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Bigger fools ye are to keep paying for her. you have to get rid of so called friends like her.

Ah, you know what it's like. Sometimes, if it weren't for my enemies, I'd have no friends at all.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Ah, you know what it's like. Sometimes, if it weren't for my enemies, I'd have no friends at all.

I would rather ave no friends.What a leech,she sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

dubstarr wrote: »
    I would rather ave no friends.What a leech,she sounds.

Too stingy to put in a H.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

One time me and my friend were going down the country (he drives). We live in Santry and were going to Waterford, so the best way for us to go was on the M50 and off at the N7 and then the M9, but instead, my friend drove through the city centre to avoid the M50 roll (€3.50 I think). I even contributed to petrol and I was honestly like "you've added an extra 30 minutes to our journey for the sake of €3.50" and he said "yeah but you can get a chicken fillet roll with that".... This guy makes easily over €400 a week.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

TheFitz13 wrote:
    One time me and my friend were going down the country (he drives). We live in Santry and were going to Waterford, so the best way for us to go was on the M50 and off at the N7 and then the M9, but instead, my friend drove through the city centre to avoid the M50 roll (€3.50 I think). I even contributed to petrol and I was honestly like "you've added an extra 30 minutes to our journey for the sake of €3.50" and he said "yeah but you can get a chicken fillet roll with that".... This guy makes easily over €400 a week.....

If I made € 400 a week I'd also be avoiding tolls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    This guy makes easily over €400 a week.....

If your friend earns 25K per year, he'd take home 415 euro a week. That's really not that much money to be fair, especially running a car and living in Dublin

That said, an extra 30 mins of city traffic driving would eat up any savings on the toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

What the stingebags forget all to soon, is how much of a sheer pain in the bum the old roads were, and a whole new generation of drivers has arisen that didn't know how bad it was.
    I'm not a daily motorway user, but if on occasion I have to pay a toll, I do with with a mixture of resentment and gladness. Resentment at the roads were largely already paid for out of EU and local taxes, and gladness at not having to struggle on the donkey-cart-legacy roads that are still there for anyone who really wants to cross the country at their leisure.
    Actually, if you use the old main and secondary roads, it can be quite pleasant, but they were sheer hell when they were jammed solid.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

If your friend earns 25K per year, he'd take home 415 euro a week. That's really not that much money to be fair, especially running a car and living in Dublin

That said, an extra 30 mins of city traffic driving would eat up any savings on the toll

Yeah I forgot to mention he still lives at home with his parents, and gives them 30 quid a week. The only bills he really other than his phone bill is petrol and occasional car maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

TheFitz13 wrote: »

That's shíte money tbf. But what he saves on tolls, he would probably spend on fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,300 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm fearful of sounding stingy but anything approaching 20% tip is borderline excessive imo, unless it's really exceptional service / value. But I get the convenience of it all with just handing over a 50 each and I've done the same myself.

If anyone had change and it was just average service, I would suggest leaving €25 and getting a round in for the group with the other.

Normally when we go out for dinner depending on how many people go out, and how many drinks are bought the bill can be between 80 - 200 euro. Our tip is never more than 5/6.

I don't feel the need to pay extra for a service you have already paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Normally when we go out for dinner depending on how many people go out, and how many drinks are bought the bill can be between 80 - 200 euro. Our tip is never more than 5/6.

*Ducks for cover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm fearful of sounding stingy but anything approaching 20% tip is borderline excessive imo, unless it's really exceptional service / value. But I get the convenience of it all with just handing over a 50 each and I've done the same myself.

If anyone had change and it was just average service, I would suggest leaving €25 and getting a round in for the group with the other.

your not factoring in the frankly embarrassing Flirting attempts from 6 portly 40 year olds with young hot Eastern European Waiting staff
    These girls earn their money !

Folks tipping 5 Euro on 200 bills are mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Folks tipping 5 Euro on 200 bills are mean

We're in the right thread so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

a fiver, on a €200 bill?!

Welcome to the thread stinge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

A guy I know took fittings and lightbulbs from rental house he was leaving.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    a fiver, on a €200 bill?!

Welcome to the thread stinge

I have never got "exceptional service" to give a tip.

I'm not stingy but i'm not paying someone more money for doing there job which they get paid for. I don't get tipped when i process a sale, or help a customer find there size for an item o clothing.

I get my wage.

Advertisement