Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

This isn't the states, we have a minimum wage. I'm not tipping some sour faced teenager for hurling my plate at me in nandos or eddie rockets or whatever, they get paid a wage, so they can sod off. Unless its very good service and they're very pleasant and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

say she is waiting a few tables then its hundreds while the poor lad in the kitchen actually making your food gets paid less than the person bringing it out to you?

This, this right here!!

There's a few waitresses at work who are actually earning more than me an hour and that's before tips. And I am the one slaving away back there, over worked and taking all sorts of abuse just to make sure your food is cooked and presented to a high standard. Yet because the waitresses makes a little bit of a fuss over ye, ye hand her 20 quid for doing her job.

One of the waiters in work made 60 quid in tips in three hours last weekend. Muggins here has to work nearly twice the time and do ten times the work before I get to see 60 quid.

Ugghh...it's not a stinge thing with me. It's just a begrudgement I have. I think nearly every chef has it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

As a former waiter.... tips are damn nice to get. Think min wage was €6.35 when I started. However, tips aren't to be relied on or expected.

It's like that "reservoir dogs speech"... why do we choose the waiter as a more tip worthy job than other jobs with equally shít pay and conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Mozzeltoff wrote: »

Ugghh...it's not a stinge thing with me. It's just a begrudgement I have. I think nearly every chef has it tbh.

The last place I worked as a waiter (it was a small Irish pub in Spain), we used to throw all tips into a jar and divvy them out equally at the end of the night between the waiter(s) and the chef. It was only fair.

Edit: Many Irish people on holidays are sh*tty tippers (or were in 2004 at any rate). We often would pick up the change they'd leave behind them as a tip and it'd be maybe 60 or 70c in 5c, 2c and 1c coins. It was almost offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The last place I worked as a waiter (it was a small Irish pub in Spain), we used to throw all tips into a jar and divvy them out equally at the end of the night between the waiter(s) and the chef. It was only fair.

Edit: Many Irish people on holidays are sh*tty tippers (or were in 2004 at any rate). We often would pick up the change they'd leave behind them as a tip and it'd be maybe 60 or 70c in 5c, 2c and 1c coins. It was almost offensive.

Completely different tipping culture in Spain too. I could spend 200 quid on a meal, leave a fiver and the service would be delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

I know they do that in another hotel and bar in town but the place I work in, the waiters/waitresses keep it for themeselves.

I don't think I'd be so bad about it but the fact that there is a few of them earning more than me per hour and getting tips and then boasting about it every once and a while..well..yeah..you can see why I'd be slightly irked about it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Leaving letters out of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I have never got "exceptional service" to give a tip.

I'm not stingy but i'm not paying someone more money for doing there job which they get paid for. I don't get tipped when i process a sale, or help a customer find there size for an item o clothing.

I get my wage.

you gave a fiver. So you do tip.

You just tip stingily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dodge wrote: »
    you gave a fiver. So you do tip.

You just tip stingily.

That's an overly simplistic way of looking at it. Tipping as a % of cost is a daft idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

We were talking about what colour debs dress my daughter should get, the other night.

Her boyfriend said, I think a wine dress would be nice on her and plus I already have a wine dickie bow at home.

The cheeky fcuk wanted her to get a wine coloured dress so he wouldn't have to buy/rent a new dickie bow. :eek:

Less winge more stinge.

Love this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The cheeky fcuk wanted her to get a wine coloured dress so he wouldn't have to buy/rent a new dickie bow.

He's a keeper!!!! Marry her off fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

He's a keeper!!!! Marry her off fast!

If he already has a white shirt he'll probably be up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A guy I know took fittings and lightbulbs from rental house he was leaving.

All the light fittings were removed from the house we're now living in before we got the keys, except for two which turned out to be broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I thought this thread was about stingy people, what's all this tipping nonsense about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

dee_mc wrote: »

Ha ha, that made me laugh...

Poor girl, what can I do? She thinks she is in love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    This, this right here!!

There's a few waitresses at work who are actually earning more than me an hour and that's before tips. And I am the one slaving away back there, over worked and taking all sorts of abuse just to make sure your food is cooked and presented to a high standard. Yet because the waitresses makes a little bit of a fuss over ye, ye hand her 20 quid for doing her job.

One of the waiters in work made 60 quid in tips in three hours last weekend. Muggins here has to work nearly twice the time and do ten times the work before I get to see 60 quid.

Then quit the chef job and ask for a waiter job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

A guy I used to work with used the same piece of tinfoil to wrap his sandwiches every day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Ha ha, that made me laugh...

Poor girl, what can I do? She thinks she is in love.
    Tbf He did say she'd look nice in a wine dress.
    I mean nowadays that is boyfriend of the year material...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I worked in an office, most of us earn the same amount, a few of the junior staff earn less. they started to go out every Friday for a bite to eat after work, couple of bevvies. sometimes I went, but every time I went, I noticed the bill was shared out, and I ended up paying a lot more than I could budget for on one particular night and I was pissed off. two girls in particular, one was really mean were the main culpurts.

I was having a conversation with one of the junior staff and she confided she couldn't go out every week, it was costing her too much! I got really pissed off, I I went after work and we all sat down, bar type restaurant. this one girl, all brown Thomas bags and new York holidays ordered "her usual" cocktail. x 2. dinner came and of course the pasta or pizza for 10 euro wasn't good enough for her. as usual she ordered her starter (always the most expensive), the steak, side of this, side of that, glass of wine x 2, and the most expensive coffee. one of the junior staff said she always took control of the bill, and they were never able to stand up to her.

I grabbed the bill and proceeded to tot up what everyone owed. she tutted and said really? just divide it out "we all had basically the same".

in the end, I owed 13.00, and I gave a 2 euro tip. most everyone else owed between 13.00 and 20.00 euro. she owed 45.00 euro. her mate owed 36.00 euro. her face was priceless. she was just plain stingy, expecting everyone to sub her knowing that she was ordering anything she wanted. I can't stand that behaviour, I just think its plain mean.

interestingly the next time we went out she claimed she was on antibiotics and couldn't drink, and from then on, things got a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

There's a shop here in Mountrath.
    The guy is selling a printed picture of a horse for £1.50.
    Yep.
    It's been in the shop so long, it still has the Punt price on it. The picture is faded and was clearly printed on a home printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

ItsShane wrote: »
    Yep.
    It's been in the shop so long, it still has the Punt price on it. The picture is faded and was clearly printed on a home printer.

Most likely a HP Deskjet 690C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I worked in an office, most of us earn the same amount, a few of the junior staff earn less. they started to go out every Friday for a bite to eat after work, couple of bevvies. sometimes I went, but every time I went, I noticed the bill was shared out, and I ended up paying a lot more than I could budget for on one particular night and I was pissed off. two girls in particular, one was really mean were the main culpurts.

I was having a conversation with one of the junior staff and she confided she couldn't go out every week, it was costing her too much! I got really pissed off, I I went after work and we all sat down, bar type restaurant. this one girl, all brown Thomas bags and new York holidays ordered "her usual" cocktail. x 2. dinner came and of course the pasta or pizza for 10 euro wasn't good enough for her. as usual she ordered her starter (always the most expensive), the steak, side of this, side of that, glass of wine x 2, and the most expensive coffee. one of the junior staff said she always took control of the bill, and they were never able to stand up to her.

I grabbed the bill and proceeded to tot up what everyone owed. she tutted and said really? just divide it out "we all had basically the same".

in the end, I owed 13.00, and I gave a 2 euro tip. most everyone else owed between 13.00 and 20.00 euro. she owed 45.00 euro. her mate owed 36.00 euro. her face was priceless. she was just plain stingy, expecting everyone to sub her knowing that she was ordering anything she wanted. I can't stand that behaviour, I just think its plain mean.

interestingly the next time we went out she claimed she was on antibiotics and couldn't drink, and from then on, things got a bit easier.

You win Thread Hero of the Year 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yep.

To be fair, tesco prints a lot of its prices on reduced stuff in pounds :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

dee_mc wrote:

He'd probably suggest trying to get a job lot of wine dresses to kit out the bridesmaids . What with u already having the debs and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Her boyfriend said, I think a wine dress would be nice on her and plus I already have a wine dickie bow at home.

The cheeky fcuk wanted her to get a wine coloured dress so he wouldn't have to buy/rent a new dickie bow. :eek:

Who the hell just happens to have a wine dickie bow at home?! He's either reusing it from a previous debs or top stinge and it belongs to his older brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Who the hell just happens to have a wine dickie bow at home?! He's either reusing it from a previous debs or top stinge and it belongs to his older brother!
    I had one in my primary school uniform!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

stinkle wrote: »
    SuperS54 wrote: »
    I had one in my primary school uniform!
    He was probably in your class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Yep.

He's flogging a dead horse! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

sligojoek wrote: »
    He was probably in your class.

Maybe it's him!

Advertisement