Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A guy I used to work with used the same piece of tinfoil to wrap his sandwiches every day....
    What is stingy about that? That is just frugal and prudent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

snubbleste wrote: »

And environmentally friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

snubbleste wrote:

Ah cmon! So presumably he eats his sandwich, carefully folds up his tinfoil, takes it home. Makes his sandwiches and seeks out this saved piece of foil to wrap . Apart from the unhygienic aspect of it, it takes stingey to 'more trouble than its worth' proportions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I grabbed the bill and proceeded to tot up what everyone owed. she tutted and said really? just divide it out "we all had basically the same".
    D Trent wrote: »
    You win Thread Hero of the Year 2016

I love the stories in this thread but I hate how annoyed they make me.
    Great to see someone sticking it to the stingers.

I'd have no qualms doing likewise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah cmon! So presumably he eats his sandwich, carefully folds up his tinfoil, takes it home. Makes his sandwiches and seeks out this saved piece of foil to wrap . Apart from the unhygienic aspect of it, it takes stingey to 'more trouble than its worth' proportions.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Have you SEEN the price of tinfoil?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My sister in law used to save used pieces of tinfoil. Until the house got infested with mice.
    If you're too stingy to use a fresh bit of tinfoil every time, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a cheap lunchbox and be done with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 problemnext

lad living about 15 mins from me asked me to pick him up one night. had previously picked him up 2 nights in the week b4. takes 15mins to drive out and another 15 to drive back to town, then this again when bringing him back so the guts of 50mins/1 hour to bring him to town and back. Anyway asked me on the group chat to pick him up when he knew i was with our other friends. I said i would cauz i didnt want to leave him out of the group and asked him to buy me an ice cream in return and he said ok. Went out picked him up, back into town, on the way in I stopped and put 20€ diesel in the car, about 3 mins later stopped in supermacs told him to get me a cone. went up ordered his food and didnt get me anything asked him why. he said ''where you being serious about that'' and i was like yes just spent 20€ mainly to pick you up. threw me his change which was about 60 cent and said here get it yourself in a kind of pissed off mood. Got mad at me the next few times i left him sitting at home then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

lad living about 15 mins from me asked me to pick him up one night. had previously picked him up 2 nights in the week b4. takes 15mins to drive out and another 15 to drive back to town, then this again when bringing him back so the guts of 50mins/1 hour to bring him to town and back. Anyway asked me on the group chat to pick him up when he knew i was with our other friends. I said i would cauz i didnt want to leave him out of the group and asked him to buy me an ice cream in return and he said ok. Went out picked him up, back into town, on the way in I stopped and put 20€ diesel in the car, about 3 mins later stopped in supermacs told him to get me a cone. went up ordered his food and didnt get me anything asked him why. he said ''where you being serious about that'' and i was like yes just spent 20€ mainly to pick you up. threw me his change which was about 60 cent and said here get it yourself in a kind of pissed off mood. Got mad at me the next few times i left him sitting at home then

Personally I would have stood up walked away drove off and left him in supermacs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

A few of us in work live in the same general area. Myself, A (my brother) and B. For the last 3 years A has picked up myself and B from our doors and dropped us to our doors too. He never asks for petrol unless he really needs it, in return i make him lunch everyday. B gives nothing. Sometimes A has to work an earlier shift or take days off so we have to make our own way in. I get 2 buses in and my dad collects me afterwards. B drives his own (uninsured) car in and out. He made it clear that if i want a lift with him i have to walk to his place (about 30 minutes walk) to be picked up, and be dropped off there after. Considering I'm young, female, pregnant and we don't finish work until after midnight, i find it incredibly mean/stingey that he doesn't want to drive 5-10 minutes slightly out of his way to pick someone up when he gets dropped to his door for free every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rawn wrote: »
    A few of us in work live in the same general area. Myself, A (my brother) and B. For the last 3 years A has picked up myself and B from our doors and dropped us to our doors too. He never asks for petrol unless he really needs it, in return i make him lunch everyday. B gives nothing. Sometimes A has to work an earlier shift or take days off so we have to make our own way in. I get 2 buses in and my dad collects me afterwards. B drives his own (uninsured) car in and out. He made it clear that if i want a lift with him i have to walk to his place (about 30 minutes walk) to be picked up, and be dropped off there after. Considering I'm young, female, pregnant and we don't finish work until after midnight, i find it incredibly mean/stingey that he doesn't want to drive 5-10 minutes slightly out of his way to pick someone up when he gets dropped to his door for free every day.

I wouldn't get in the car if he's uninsured. What would happen if he crashed and you ended up in hospital? He's not going to cover your bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

emmetkenny wrote:
    I wouldn't get in the car if he's uninsured. What would happen if he crashed and you ended up in hospital? He's not going to cover your bills.

That's not why he won't pick me up though. He's been uninsured (or possibly "uninsured") for years. His excuse is that there might be a checkpoint near my house but that has never actually happened. There have been checkpoints on the route closer to work though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That's not why he won't pick me up though. He's been uninsured (or possibly "uninsured") for years. His excuse is that there might be a checkpoint near my house but that has never actually happened. There have been checkpoints on the route closer to work though

Report him to the Guards, it's stingy pricks with that attitude that's driving up the cost of insurance for every one else.

Report him.

Report him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oh I'm not saying thats why he won't pick you up. I'm just saying if he's to mean to get insurance and to mean to drive 5 minutes up the road, he won't pay your hospital bills if he was in an accident and you were in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Shop him to the Gardai. He's costing me money too being uninsured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,620 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This real beaut of a fella who I used to work with who was a well known unashamed skin flint decided he really needed to trade in his car. Anyway on the way to the dealership to exchange cars and do the deal he runs out of petrol around the corner. He turned up on the forecourt with him steering and the wife and two kids pushing. The hoor wouldn't even spend so much as a fiver on juice... what's worse is that he told us all this himself and the only thing that he was lamenting was his bad luck and couldn't see anything wrong with it at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't agree with the guy doing it, but I would agree it's more frugal than stinge. Stinge for me involves leeching off or taking advantage of others, whereas if someone has been using the same lunchbox or even piece of tinfoil for 20 years it's more just cheapness and frugality.

That said, cheapness and frugality are usually strong indicators of stinginess, so... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the guy doing it, but I would agree it's more frugal than stinge. Stinge for me involves leeching off or taking advantage of others, whereas if someone has been using the same lunchbox or even piece of tinfoil for 20 years it's more just cheapness and frugality.

That said, cheapness and frugality are usually strong indicators of stinginess, so... ;)

Frugality is nothing to do with stinginess - frugality is just common sense about not pissing away money unnecessarily. For example, I've a nespresso machine at home and there's a free one in the office. The coffee from it is better and cheaper than Starbucks/Costa etc. Using the machines and not squandering 20e a week in one of those chains is nothing to do with being stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

That's not why he won't pick me up though. He's been uninsured (or possibly "uninsured") for years.

You can be sure that if he ever caused a problem to the wrong type, he won't remain "uninjured" for long.
    He's probably too stupid to realise the real downsides of being a stingey prick.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

D Trent wrote: »
    You win Thread Hero of the Year 2016

I've always wanted to be a thread hero.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

That's how it all starts, first loo roll, then sugar/salt sachets...then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Frugality is nothing to do with stinginess - frugality is just common sense about not pissing away money unnecessarily. For example, I've a nespresso machine at home and there's a free one in the office. The coffee from it is better and cheaper than Starbucks/Costa etc. Using the machines and not squandering 20e a week in one of those chains is nothing to do with being stingy.
    I know, but I would also say that choosing to recycle the tinfoil you bring your sandwiches to work in also isn't stingy. Odd, perhaps unhygienic, and not something I would do myself - but not stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

learn_more wrote: »
    That's how it all starts, first loo roll, then sugar/salt sachets...then...

I know someone who collects the ketchup sachets and keeps them rather than buying an actual jar of the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

I've too many stories about my one stingy cousin I don't know where to start.

I've completely cut her from my life now as she is a complete leech. We both live in different cities now.

The first one was she called me up one day and asked me could herself and her boyfriend come to my house to shower. I asked how come was her shower broken.

Oh no she straight up said oh its just cold here we would have to turn on the heating and the immersion forthe shower too, so it'll cost a lot on the bill and you always have your heating on anyway and you have an electric shower.

My response was a who do you think pays for my heating and electric showers aren't free either.

The thing is I always have my heat on as I live alone with my son , I'm on compassionate leave as I'm out with an illness. I'm running a house, paying for bills and a car the usual stuff people do.

Herself and her boyfriend, near 30, were living in a house share, renting one room, both on sw and rent allowance no responsibilities like a car or child or household to run and probably had more money than me at the time.

I was more embarrassed for her that would have no shame in straight out asking to shower in someone else's house because they didn't want to spend the cost of heating the house to warm the place and heating the immersion for the shower.

But she still continued to amaze me with her stinginess after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

dee_mc wrote: »
    If you're too stingy to use a fresh bit of tinfoil every time, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a cheap lunchbox and be done with it?!

Cling film?
    interestingly the next time we went out she claimed she was on antibiotics and couldn't drink, and from then on, things got a bit easier.

Brilliant...a cure for stinginess, FINALLY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

gucci wrote: »
    Cling film?

If they're stingy enough to reuse tinfoil, I'd imagine they're stingy enough to reuse cling film, and all the same hygiene concerns apply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Less tinfoil, more stinge!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I had a run in with one of these girls who is a complete stinge and thinks its cute.

I was on a night out with a lot of people I wasn't too well acquainted with.

So from the pub into town I was in the back with a few other guys and yer one in the front.

The taxi arrives, we're all looking for change and she turns her head around to us with a pouty face and says "can anyone throw in a few [8] squid for me pleassse" *pouty face*.

Gets her taxi paid for her, never buys a drink back. The worst people who take a taxi with you and then surprise surprise only realise after they don't have money, its happened to me before too.

Then smoozes around as many people as possible to get drinks bought for her and conveniently moves onto the next group before she has to buy one back.

She was just annoying me by the end of the night, when I was heading up to the bar she conveniently appeared beside me and suddenly starts being pally towards me "Oh you're going up to the bar are you?" *holding her empty glass*, I said "yes I am" *pause* "you coming up as well?" "Oh no I'm just going to the toilet" "I have to go too actually!".. aye she was raging after her skulking around for a drink. She could have at least offered to buy me first, considering she was getting free drinks all night.

Fizzlesticks, take heart that the cute act won't be a good look on a 30+ year old. :pac: And what ever will she do then? She'll have some land.

Advertisement