Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Oh come on. It is never acceptable to take money out of the collection plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

NufcNavan wrote: »

I've seen it done a few times. It seemed to be not uncommon practice in some areas.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I've seen it done a few times. It seemed to be not uncommon practice in some areas.

Thankfully I've never seen it happen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Daft suggestion. If I've only a 20 in my wallet and want to give five quid is it preferable to all that I drop my 20 and take back 15 or I give nothing? Don't think there's anyone in the Catholic Church who'd tell you they'd prefer not to have the fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

They don't pay tax so don't give them anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

NufcNavan wrote: »

:D

Honestly though, if it is never acceptable to take money out wouldn't that mean someone who only had a €10 note on them would be better off giving nothing at all, rather than giving the €10 and taking back €5? Seems a bit of a cop out, is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Give them nothing. They won't starve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Think of the kids when putting money in the basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Think of the kids when putting money in the basket.

And think of your own when taking it back out. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

martyos121 wrote: »
    And think of your own when taking it back out. :pac:

I actually meant all the kids the rotten pedos abused funded by the good (deluded) folk of a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

I've been really tight and not paid the tv licence and it feels great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

I actually meant all the kids the rotten pedos abused funded by the good (deluded) folk of a Sunday.

Don't ruin the thread... Good man.

I saw a guy stopped at the toll on the M1, he hoped out of his car at the barrier, ran along a few of the other barriers, taking change left in the baskets for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

bubblypop wrote: »
    I saw a guy stopped at the toll on the M1, he hoped out of his car at the barrier, ran along a few of the other barriers, taking change left in the baskets for himself.
    That reminds me, I was heading down to the west one weekend, and I saw 2 people get out of a car and go to 2 different areas looking for money on the ground people dropped (under the baskets).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is there some rule, that I am not aware of, that a couple counts as one person, when it is their turn to get their round in?

I am playing host to some visiting US rellies. We just spent a weekend socializing with some mutual cousins. We went out for dinner 3 nights in row and had good sessions in the pub, before and after dinner each night. There were 2 couples and 3 solo people present. I wouldn't be a massive fan of the round system, but as it was family, I just went with the flow. (I was one of the solo people.)

In the pub, we sat around an oval shaped table, so our seating position was how we kept track of whose round it was. My cousin Dave & his partner usually sat beside me. Whenever it was his round, either he or his partner paid for the round. When it was time for another round, they made it obvious that it was the turn of whoever was sitting to their right. They didn't get a round in, one after another. So they as a couple, got 2 drinks bought for them per round, but only one of them was actually paying for a round of drinks.

Is it just me, or is this being stingy? Or am I over thinking this? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stingy.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Drinking with couples is usually the worst. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

What did the other couple do on their turn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No, it's not you. They're just stingy.

This topic has come up on this thread before - the idea of a couple getting one round rather than two, and it's a load of bollocks.

Fortunately, I've never seen this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What did the other couple do on their turn?

I wasn't watching them closely, but given how often they both asked me if I was ready for another one, or just put a glass down in front of me, I'm pretty sure they both got their rounds in individually.

Dave and his partner were both drinking proper drinks too (pint of Guinness and vodka & tonic) so it's not like they were giving themselves a free pass, coz one of them was on the dry.

This isn't something that I normally pay a lot of attention to. But as Dave & his partner sat beside me each evening, it was hard not to notice. They're Irish btw, so its not like they have the "idiot American" excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Been married for a few yrs, and would go out of our way to ensure that in rounds, we are not a collective. Yanks however, ive ran into that before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Definitely stingy. I don't know any couple like that. Most couples will buy a round each, as in both people will buy a round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ProudDUB wrote: »

It's more than stingy in my opinion. It's being wilfully ignorant. Nobody is that dense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

It's more than stingy in my opinion. It's being wilfully ignorant. Nobody is that dense.
    It might be wilful but it could be due to financial restrictions which can be a bit embarrassing if people find themselves in that situation socially and a round system is going on especially if they've already been out a few nights in a row.

If they said they wanted to opt out of the round that would focus the spotlight on them too. If they could afford it and were known to be quite comfortable financially then it would be a case of genuinely being tight. Always hard to know other people's circumstances which is why I never like rounds for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Shint0 wrote: »
    It might be wilful but it could be due to financial restrictions which can be a bit embarrassing if people find themselves in that situation socially and a round system is going on especially if they've already been out a few nights in a row.

If they said they wanted to opt out of the round that would focus the spotlight on them too. If they could afford it and were known to be quite comfortable financially then it would be a case of genuinely being tight. Always hard to know other people's circumstances which is why I never like rounds for that reason.

Get a grip there is no justifying it their tight gits. Either don't go out but if ya do one of ya don't drink or just stay on ur own. Simples...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Shint0 wrote: »

That's a nonsense argument. If money is tight, you don't allow yourself to get in rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's no excuse! I've often asked to be left out if rounds. Noticing that it's becoming the norm now to not do rounds when it's more than 5 of us out together

brophy wrote: »
    Get a grip there is no justifying it their tight gits. Either don't go out but if ya do one of ya don't drink or just stay on ur own. Simples...
    I'm simply offering another point of view. We don't know their financial situation and I tend not to make assumptions when I don't know the facts.

Rounds can be a form of social pressure which can be sometimes hard to avoid. As this is the 'stingy' thread it's understandable that posters might want to read every post from that angle. Fortunately, I tend to be a bit more open minded about most things in life without jumping to conclusions. Otherwise I might end up being judgemental where it might not be warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

If money was short one of them could have missed a drink the odd time to even things out.

• Advertisement

juncert wrote: »
    If money was short one of them could have missed a drink the odd time to even things out.
    They could indeed but it's sometimes difficult to understand other people's motivation for why they behave as they do. Does there always have to be just one explanation, one perspective?

Advertisement