Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Word of the day (Scottish Gaelic):

Sgiomlaireachd - the kind of friend who tends to only drop in around mealtimes.

[edit] pronounced scum-leerie [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Word of the day (Scottish Gaelic):

Sgiomlaireachd - the kind of friend who tends to only drop in around mealtimes.

[edit] pronounced scum-leerie [/edit]

Or Gannets.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I was friendly with a lad in college. At the end of a lecture he said he'd forgotten his wallet and had no money for a lunch so I gave him the loan of a fiver. He said he'd get it back to me asap but I said no worries.

About a week later I met him in a nightclub on a night out and he called me over to the bar to get drink, I figured he'd buy me a pint to even out the five quid. He turns to me and says "have you money lad?" at which point I realised his game and said I hadn't, and he says "alright, another time maybe" and walked off.

Wánker! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Noveight wrote: »
    I was friendly with a lad in college. At the end of a lecture he said he'd forgotten his wallet and had no money for a lunch so I gave him the loan of a fiver. He said he'd get it back to me asap but I said no worries.

About a week later I met him in a nightclub on a night out and he called me over to the bar to get drink, I figured he'd buy me a pint to even out the five quid. He turns to me and says "have you money lad?" at which point I realised his game and said I hadn't, and he says "alright, another time maybe" and walked off.

Wánker! :mad:

Not having a dig Noveight, but people like that thrive, because they are let get away with it. I'd be all over him like a rash to get my money back. It's only a small amount, so if it wasn't forthcoming, I'd embarrass the fecker at every opportunity I got. The lad would be able to go anywhere without seeing me approach. If I got it back eventually, I'd make sure he saw me put it in to a charity box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Not having a dig Noveight, but people like that thrive, because they are let get away with it. I'd be all over him like a rash to get my money back. It's only a small amount, so if it wasn't forthcoming, I'd embarrass the fecker at every opportunity I got. The lad would be able to go anywhere without seeing me approach. If I got it back eventually, I'd make sure he saw me put it in to a charity box

"A mate loaned me a fiver. Ever since he's been practically stalking me demanding it back. What a stinge!"

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    "A mate loaned me a fiver. Ever since he's been practically stalking me demanding it back. What a stinge!"

Despite what you think, you're no mate of his if you conned him out of a fiver, never intending to give it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Despite what you think, you're no mate of his if you conned him out of a fiver, never intending to give it back

I agree with the OP, was just imagining how the stinge would counter him :)

Apologies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That is how stinges get away with it. They take advantage of (normal) peoples innate dislike of being called a stinge, so they are very quick to flip things around & the person who is coming looking for their money back is actually the stinge and not them.

I overheard a conversion in a pub the other day. Two lads had inherited the family home that their mother left them. It was worth about 400K. One brother lived in it with the mammy, before she died. Not married and no kids. The other son had his own home (that he was paying a mortgage on) with his wife and kids. The son who lived away, wanted the house to be sold and each one of them to take their share of the sale.

The son who lived in the house wanted to stay put, naturally enough. He could only get a bank loan of 60K to buy his brother out of his share of the house & he made him that offer. The other brother rejected it, saying he wanted his share of the full value of the house, to pay off his mortgage, pay for his kids college and help his son set up his own business. The house was put up for sale and each brother got his share, but the brothers fell out over it.

The brother who wanted to stay put, was the one telling the story in the pub. His spin was that his brother was a terrible stinge for not accepting the 60K, a mean bastard for essentially kicking his own brother out of his home & isn't it terrible when families fall out over money. You could tell 100% that he believed his own spin on things.

Maybe I'm a stinge too, but I think he had a terrible hard neck expecting his brother to take 60K for a share in a house that wound up being worth 218K. (The house eventually sold for 436K.) That is a difference of 158,000 quid. If you set aside the emotional aspect of it being the family home, that is far, far too much money to expect the other brother to just hand yer man on a platter, especially as he had a family of his own to provide for & yer man didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thankfully I have never experienced it, but things can get very complicated when it comes to things like the family home

e.g.

Did the second brother ever help with the upkeep of the family home.

Did the first brother give up his life to look after the mother/home.

Depending on how you look at it, the second brother could be seen as the stingy one if after being absent for the last twenty years he just turned up looking for half the share in the family home.

Not saying any of this happened, just pointing out sometimes things are not what they seem at first glance. :)

Anyhoo on with the stinge ......

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Thankfully I have never experienced it, but things can get very complicated when it comes to things like the family home

e.g.

Did the second brother ever help with the upkeep of the family home.

Did the first brother give up his life to look after the mother/home.

Depending on how you look at it, the second brother could be seen as the stingy one if after being absent for the last twenty years he just turned up looking for half the share in the family home.

Not saying any of this happened, just pointing out sometimes things are not what they seem at first glance. :)

Anyhoo on with the stinge ......

I was evesdropping on the convo as I ate my lunch, so I am not privvy to all the deets, but from what I overheard....

The second son & his family lived just down the road from mother. They were an active part of the day to day life of the family.

Mammy's death was quite sudden. She was in her late 60's when she died. She and had lived an active lifestyle up until about 6 months before she died, when her ticker started to act up. So I don't think it was a case of yer man giving up his own life to stay at home and, take care of a sick and elderly parent, while the other son fecked off to live his own life.

Mammy did a big reno job on the house about 8 years ago. (New kitchen, bathroom etc.) The house is in great shape. So I don't think it was a falling down wreak, that yer man had to put a lot of effort into.

I agree that these situations are v complicated & not everything meets the eye. But from listening to yer man, he sounded like a lazy slacker who had a very patchy work history and thought he had a free ride for life, by staying on in the family home with Mammy.

Amazing what you can pick up in 30 minutes, over a pint and a cheese toastie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Despite my parents both being a loooong way off popping their clogs yet (hopefully), myself and the siblings have long since decided to sell and split asap when the day arrives, and if it's left to one leave em at it. My dad and his siblings had a huge fracture over their family home even though they would've sworn it would never happen. It can and does happen to anyone - cut and run asap and no room for sentimentality!

We all have the best intentions in the world. But I don't think anyone really knows what they would do at the prospect of inheriting a house, or a massive wad of cash (or not not inheriting it) until it happens to them.

You can have the best intentions in the world, but fast forward 10 years. Let's say you have lost your job, or you are having trouble paying the mortgage, or your spouse gets sick, or you have started a family & your kids have replaced your siblings as the main focus of your family life. Or you have a pushy spouse who doesn't think much of your siblings & wants you to put him/her and the kids first.

Any one of those things could happen & all your good intentions go out the window.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I was evesdropping on the convo as I ate my lunch, so I am not privvy to all the deets, but from what I overheard....

The second son & his family lived just down the road from mother. They were an active part of the day to day life of the family.

Mammy's death was quite sudden. She was in her late 60's when she died. She and had lived an active lifestyle up until about 6 months before she died, when her ticker started to act up. So I don't think it was a case of yer man giving up his own life to stay at home and, take care of a sick and elderly parent, while the other son fecked off to live his own life.

Mammy did a big reno job on the house about 8 years ago. (New kitchen, bathroom etc.) The house is in great shape. So I don't think it was a falling down wreak, that yer man had to put a lot of effort into

Jaysus, you did well though :)

Moral of the story; Make a will and include a 'letter of intent' outlining what way you would prefer your beneficiaries to proceed. Did mine last month and explained it to my sons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

In many cases it is the in-laws who have married in to the family who are the source of the conflict. they break their own spouse away from the original family and cause a serious rift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

benjamin d wrote: »
    Despite my parents both being a loooong way off popping their clogs yet (hopefully), myself and the siblings have long since decided to sell and split asap when the day arrives, and if it's left to one leave em at it. My dad and his siblings had a huge fracture over their family home even though they would've sworn it would never happen. It can and does happen to anyone - cut and run asap and no room for sentimentality!

Just be aware that the odds of both parents passing over at the same time are fairly low - actually very, very low...

You may think you have it sorted, but when the fan is hit it may well be a very different story.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

benjamin d wrote:
    Despite my parents both being a loooong way off popping their clogs yet (hopefully), myself and the siblings have long since decided to sell and split asap when the day arrives

What a bizzare and morbid conversation to be having with your siblings if your patents are in good health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    What a bizzare and morbid conversation to be having with your siblings if your patents are in good health.

Well patents expire so sometimes you have to have those difficult conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Off topic and ridiculous posts removed. Back to the stinge please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I know a very good electrician who I used to get to do nixers around the house. He did a great job but I always felt he was screwing me on the price a bit but I was happy to pay for the convenience.

After about the fourth job I stopped using him when I noticed that every time he came, the first thing he did was start charging the spare battery for his drill. The first time he did it I just assumed he was caught out but after the fourth visit and not once using the spate battery I realised the guy was just so mean that 10 cents worth of electricity meant something to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I know a very good electrician who I used to get to do nixers around the house. He did a great job but I always felt he was screwing me on the price a bit but I was happy to pay for the convenience.

After about the fourth job I stopped using him when I noticed that every time he came, the first thing he did was start charging the spare battery for his drill. The first time he did it I just assumed he was caught out but after the fourth visit and not once using the spate battery I realised the guy was just so mean that 10 cents worth of electricity meant something to him.

And 4x10c worth of electricity was worth you ditching a tradesman whose work you describe as 'great'?

Sure, maybe he should have asked before assuming to just charge his tools, but you begrudging him less than a euro over 4 visits makes you seem the stinge in this case in my opinion :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You got the wrong end of the stick, there.
    It's good practice to make sure your spare is up and ready to go, so plug it in first thing when you get on site. Charging it at home is fine, of course, but that means taking it out of the kit, having it on charge in the kitchen, garage or wherever, and then forgetting to take it with you. Been there, done that.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I work in other peoples houses most of the time. I've often been caught out with a flat battery for a power tool or my phone. It's good manners just to ask the resident is it OK to plug in.

Deise Vu wrote:
    After about the fourth job I stopped using him when I noticed that every time he came, the first thing he did was start charging the spare battery for his drill.

You do realise this makes you the stinge?
    A few cents worth of electricity.

Plus you're defrauding the exchequer out of funds by using the black market, so less money to spend on sick children.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    You do realise this makes you the stinge?
    A few cents worth of electricity.

Plus you're defrauding the exchequer out of funds by using the black market, so less money to spend on sick children.

Well done.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Thanks for the love!! I think you are missing the point. I felt he was expensive but You just don't know if you are being screwed until you see something jaw dropping mean like that. I checked around and he is renowned for stuff like this. Satisfied?

Oh the day the exchequer starts to give a **** about me is the day I start giving a **** about them.

Deise Vu wrote:
    Oh the day the exchequer starts to give a **** about me is the day I start giving a **** about them.

You sound like an upstanding member of society.
    We're lucky to have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    You got the wrong end of the stick, there.
    It's good practice to make sure your spare is up and ready to go, so plug it in first thing when you get on site. Charging it at home is fine, of course, but that means taking it out of the kit, having it on charge in the kitchen, garage or wherever, and then forgetting to take it with you. Been there, done that.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    I work in other peoples houses most of the time. I've often been caught out with a flat battery for a power tool or my phone. It's good manners just to ask the resident is it OK to plug in.

Keep your batteries fully charged at all times to maximise their lifespan. There's a money-saving tip for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't understand this logic.
    if the tradesman is using the tool then what's the problem.
    if he wasn't using any tools then I agree its bad form . I wouldn't charge my batteries if I wasn't using them on the job.
    95 % of my jobs I am using my tools. I always charge on the job unless its too far away to keep an eye on .
    what would you think if he had corded tools . they would need to be plugged in.

I know if a customer started moaning about such a small thing I would leave. totally out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't understand this logic.
    if the tradesman is using the tool then what's the problem.
    if he wasn't using any tools then I agree its bad form . I wouldn't charge my batteries if I wasn't using them on the job.
    95 % of my jobs I am using my tools. I always charge on the job unless its too far away to keep an eye on .
    what would you think if he had corded tools . they would need to be plugged in.

I know if a customer started moaning about such a small thing I would leave. totally out of order.
    And what if he was doing a bunch of nixers, or some between jobs? He's used up his main battery doing the poster's nixer, so when he goes to the next place... does he just put it in to charge, sit back and have a cup of tea for a half hour (or however long it takes to charge) while whoever he is doing that job for gives out about 'lazy tradespeople' and such?

Advertisement