Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Billy86 wrote: »
    And what if he was doing a bunch of nixers, or some between jobs? He's used up his main battery doing the poster's nixer, so when he goes to the next place... does he just put it in to charge, sit back and have a cup of tea for a half hour (or however long it takes to charge) while whoever he is doing that job for gives out about 'lazy tradespeople' and such?

im a bit unsure if your agreeing with me or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

im a bit unsure if your agreeing with me or not.

I am, what I mean though is... if you're out doing a few small nixers back to back, or possibly doing one before going to a bigger job... I mean you're going to run down your battery a bit on the first job, so wouldn't it make sense to charge the spares you'll need for the second job just in case?

I'd reckon showing up and realising you've got nothing charged can leave a bit of egg on your face if you don't know the client well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Billy86 wrote: »
    I am, what I mean though is... if you're out doing a few small nixers back to back, or possibly doing one before going to a bigger job... I mean you're going to run down your battery a bit on the first job, so wouldn't it make sense to charge the spares you'll need for the second job just in case?

I'd reckon showing up and realising you've got nothing charged can leave a bit of egg on your face if you don't know the client well!

I agree. . nothing worse than being short on a battery. I was caught short a before and it looks bad to the customer.
    to solve this I now have 12 (twelve) 4 ah batteries :eek::eek:. I don't think I will run out for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I know a very good electrician who I used to get to do nixers around the house. He did a great job but I always felt he was screwing me on the price a bit but I was happy to pay for the convenience.

After about the fourth job I stopped using him when I noticed that every time he came, the first thing he did was start charging the spare battery for his drill. The first time he did it I just assumed he was caught out but after the fourth visit and not once using the spate battery I realised the guy was just so mean that 10 cents worth of electricity meant something to him.

meant something to you as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

mikeymouse wrote: »
    meant something to you as well

I'd be surprised if it was as much as ten cents' worth, to be honest. :eek:
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was in Tesco this evening and whilst queuing a guy came up to me and asked me did I have a clubcard. I said that I did and he said "fair play to you", and moved on to the next person. They didn't, so he asked them could he scan his card before they paid to get the points for his own clubcard. I don't think the lady in question knew where to look but gave a very hesitant "ok". When they got to the till he gave his cad to the cashier, she canned it and he said "good luck" and left the queue. I assumed he'd leave, but no, he went to the next queue and started asking people there. He must have done this 4 or 5 times before I left the shop.

Very strange and very tight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deise Vu wrote: »
    The first time he did it I just assumed he was caught out but after the fourth visit and not once using the spate battery I realised the guy was just so mean that 10 cents worth of electricity meant something to him.
    the battery he was using was charged at the previous

10c worth of leccy is about 500 Watt Hours even with charger losses and voltage drops this would be under 2c for a complete charge, a top up would be far less
    http://www.mcquillantools.ie/dewalt-dcb182-18v-4-0ah-xr-li-ion-battery/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pro tip

avoiding bin charges https://i.imgur.com/fzRmuRs.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

ken wrote: »
    Mod-Off topic and ridiculous posts removed. Back to the stinge please.

Sorry, know I shouldn't be quoting a mod warning but the bolded bit made me LOL. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Was in Tesco this evening and whilst queuing a guy came up to me and asked me did I have a clubcard. I said that I did and he said "fair play to you", and moved on to the next person. They didn't, so he asked them could he scan his card before they paid to get the points for his own clubcard. I don't think the lady in question knew where to look but gave a very hesitant "ok". When they got to the till he gave his cad to the cashier, she canned it and he said "good luck" and left the queue. I assumed he'd leave, but no, he went to the next queue and started asking people there. He must have done this 4 or 5 times before I left the shop.

You would think the security guards would pull him up on that?
    I certainly wouldn't agree to it. I'd just assume that it was some sort of scam.
    But if he got it 4 or 5 times just in the time you noticed him, he could easily have ran up E1000 worth of club points. If it's a regular thing for him, he's getting a serious amount of coupons from Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A few years ago some cashiers in Dunnes were doing this before they were rumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Maybe, just maybe, he was trying to screw up Tesco's customer profiling of him. So for example he set up his profile as an unmarried childless man, then when he gets a random lady to scan his card, they see sanitary towels and baby food on his receipts & it gets all screwed up. Jokes on him though, when he gets €0.50 off Always Ultra pads with his next points!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Small update on B.

My brother was off so i made my own way in and my dad collected me. B drove himself in and home. He took the back roads he always takes to avoid checkpoints. Guess who got their car seized on said back roads? I guess he really was uninsured after all 

Despite everything i do genuinely feel a bit bad for him. On the other hand... ha

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

rawn wrote: »
    Small update on B.

My brother was off so i made my own way in and my dad collected me. B drove himself in and home. He took the back roads he always takes to avoid checkpoints. Guess who got their car seized on said back roads? I guess he really was uninsured after all

Despite everything i do genuinely feel a bit bad for him. On the other hand... ha

Good, serves the dope right. Don't do anything to help him get in and out now after the way he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm just speechless at this one.....

A few times a year I do a major clear out of the house and it goes to charity shops. Last Saturday morning I was taking 4 black bags worth of clothes and a few boxes of CDs and DVDs. As the charity shop I was giving them to had no car park I had to park in the supermarket near it and transport the bags across the road to said charity shop. As I carried the first 2 bags over a 161 reg'd car parked beside me. When I got back to my own car and opened the boot to get the next two the driver of said car asked me was I giving "that stuff" to the charity shop. I replied that I was, to which I was asked "can I have a root through it and take whatever I want from it before you do, so I can get the good stuff". I was a bit taken aback but managed to say "I'm sorry but I'd prefer that the charity shop benefited to be honest".

Just to clarify a few things. They couldn't see what was in the bags so were completely chancing their arm. It could have been clothes, sheets, anything really. And in case anyone says the car isn't a reflector of wealth/could have been a rental etc., they were well spoken, well dressed etc.

I'm still curious as to what exactly his story was - did they want to keep anything they liked or sell it to one of those places that pay you X euro per kg etc, or were they just a complete stingy back.

I should also point out that I'm over 6'6" and this guy was about 5'8"/5'9" - it's not like anything would have fit him clothes wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

When I got back to my own car and opened the boot to get the next two the driver of said car asked me was I giving "that stuff" to the charity shop. I replied that I was, to which I was asked "can I have a root through it and take whatever I want from it before you do, so I can get the good stuff". I was a bit taken aback but managed to say "I'm sorry but I'd prefer that the charity shop benefited to be honest".

An aunt of mine started to bring over a few bits and pieces of stuff, odd ornaments, clocks, few watches etc to my mother a few years ago, nothing super expensive but not junk either. At first my mother assumed by the way they were given that they were clutter my aunt no longer wanted as she was a bit of a shopaholic. She visited my aunt unexpectedly one day and happened across her taking a bag of similar bric-a-brac from the boot of her car, my mother pretended not to notice and was invited in. In the house were a gaggle of the local well to do lady set who all volunteered locally, especially in the charity shop. Turns out they would root through all the donations and take the good stuff for themselves before it got to the shelves! Estate donations were the juiciest where the estate of the deceased for whatever reasons donates the house contents to charity. My mother donated what was obviously charity goods to her local charity shop, I dissuaded her from going in a few days later to see if it ended up on the shelves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

whitey1 wrote: »
    I know someone who rented a car for a day from a Ford dealership and switched the tyres with his own car

Thats honestly genius. haha. Wouldnt do it myself but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Robsweezie wrote: »

I get the feeling there's more to it than she's saying.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I get the feeling there's more to it than she's saying.

I get the feeling there is less to it than she is saying. Smacks of a made up story to get followers/attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Robsweezie wrote: »

My GF was out one night and a fella started chattering her up. He bought her a drink and as they were chatting she mentioned she had a BF (me). He snatched the drink back off her and walked away without a word. Despite the cuntishness of the act, I really would like to know what that level of "Not giving 1 ****" feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

fizzypish wrote:
    My GF was out one night and a fella started chattering her up. He bought her a drink and as they were chatting she mentioned she had a BF (me). He snatched the drink back off her and walked away without a word. Despite the cuntishness of the act, I really would like to know what that level of "Not giving 1 ****" feels like.

Why was she letting him pay for her drinks then saying she had a bf....

Inception stinge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Why was she letting him pay for her drinks then saying she had a bf....

Inception stinge..

I've often gotten chatting to people and offered to buy them a drink. It's not always about looking for the ride ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

SuperS54 wrote: »
    An aunt of mine started to bring over a few bits and pieces of stuff, odd ornaments, clocks, few watches etc to my mother a few years ago, nothing super expensive but not junk either. At first my mother assumed by the way they were given that they were clutter my aunt no longer wanted as she was a bit of a shopaholic. She visited my aunt unexpectedly one day and happened across her taking a bag of similar bric-a-brac from the boot of her car, my mother pretended not to notice and was invited in. In the house were a gaggle of the local well to do lady set who all volunteered locally, especially in the charity shop. Turns out they would root through all the donations and take the good stuff for themselves before it got to the shelves! Estate donations were the juiciest where the estate of the deceased for whatever reasons donates the house contents to charity. My mother donated what was obviously charity goods to her local charity shop, I dissuaded her from going in a few days later to see if it ended up on the shelves...

Do they at least pay the charity for the items they're taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

But the guy was chatting her up according to the original post, it's pretty obvious what he was looking for. I could be speculating though, could be more to it than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

fizzypish wrote: »

Are you saying it was your GF that did the act of cuntishness here?

Because if you're mad that someone would buy her a drink, and then take it back when they found out she had a BF, then that's even weirder to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Do they at least pay the charity for the items they're taking?

I very much doubt it, probably taken with the attitude that it covers their volunteering...even if they did pay, they're the ones that set the prices.

fizzypish wrote: »

Im sorry but your GF is the stinge here.

If two strangers (male and female) get chatting in a bar or club and the guy offers the girl a drink it is very very obvious it is the purpose of "making a move" on her and its very poor taste that your GF accepted the drink and then told the guy she had a BF. If she truly just wanted to chat she should have mentioned the BF before he bought the drink and let the guy decide if he still wants to buy it.

Id say fair play to the guy for taking that drink back.

Im sorry but your GF is the stinge here.

If two strangers (male and female) get chatting in a bar or club and the guy offers the girl a drink it is very very obvious it is the purpose of "making a move" on her and its very poor taste that your GF accepted the drink and then told the guy she had a BF. If she truly just wanted to chat she should have mentioned the BF before he bought the drink and let the guy decide if he still wants to buy it.

Id say fair play to the guy for taking that drink back.

My dad offered to buy me a drink in the pub recently. Should I inform him that incest is illegal in most countries?

• Advertisement

My dad offered to buy me a drink in the pub recently. Should I inform him that incest is illegal in most countries?

My post said "two strangers".

Advertisement