Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ah jesus you can't win.

"How are ya love, would you like a drink?"

"Thanks but no, I have a boyfriend/not interested"

"Sure I'm only offering to buy you a drink, you stuck up yoke, not everyone's trying to ride you. Scuse me for being nice"

or

"How are you love, would you like a drink?"

"Sure, thanks, very nice of you"

"You have a boyfriend?! Stingey freeloader!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ah jesus you can't win.

"Sure I'm only offering to buy you a drink, you stuck up yoke, not everyone's trying to ride you. Scuse me for being nice"

or

Not everyone is an eejit.

It's more likely you're chatting, then offer a drink. At that stage a) let them know your situation and b) let them decide if the offer still exists.

Who asks a complete stranger do they want a drink in 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ah jesus you can't win.

If any guy reacts that way then you have just saved yourself the trouble of chatting to an asshole. Job done.
    A more common reaction would be "Ok, no worries" or "Ah sure no harm in a chat, ill buy you a drink anyway".

They have every right to think you are freeloading drinks because the reality of the world is that girls do this A LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

If any guy reacts that way then you have just saved yourself the trouble of chatting to an asshole. Job done.
    A more common reaction would be "Ok, no worries" or "Ah sure no harm in a chat, ill buy you a drink anyway".

They have every right to think you are freeloading drinks because the reality of the world is that girls do this A LOT.

Just to clarify, if you are single and you let a guy buy you a drink is this a transaction then? Are you required to kiss/sleep with/go on a future date with in exchange for the drink? What is the drink worth. Otherwise what is the difference here?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I very much doubt it, probably taken with the attitude that it covers their volunteering...even if they did pay, they're the ones that set the prices.

That's pretty bad. I hope they realise they're actually stealing from the charity. Most of what they get in is utter crap that needs to go straight in the bin; which of course the charity has to pay for.

They probably spend a lot of time b**ching about the "travellers and foreigners" that come in haggling and robbing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

To be honest I got that reaction enough when I was younger that I just got to the point where I'd assess whether it was easier to accept the drink and make my excuses quickly or refuse it, it's a judgement call most of the time and based off how the guy's behaving. Maybe I just attract mentallers but I can think off hand of five separate times it's happened to me over the years and it really kills the buzz of a night.

Girls do this and it's rotten. But a) nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them offer a drink and b) accepting a drink isn't some contract for the shift. Don't want to be down a whole €5.50 or so without even the cast iron guarantee of an orgasm for that expenditure? Then don't try to buy sex with alcohol, just talk to them and see how that goes.

Anyways it drives me mental when this thread gets derailed so I'm stopping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

zedhead wrote: »
    Just to clarify, if you are single and you let a guy buy you a drink is this a transaction then? Are you required to kiss/sleep with/go on a future date with in exchange for the drink? What is the drink worth. Otherwise what is the difference here?

Obviously it depends on the drink. A Long Island Ice Tea deserves at least a hand shandy out back beside the kegs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

zedhead wrote: »

The drink is acceptance that this guy is romantically interested in the girl and she is accepting his advances to see if he is someone she may be interested in. She is free to reject him at any point after that.

The problem is that when the girl knows that the guy is trying to chat her up but accepts the drink anyway knowing she has a boyfriend and has no intention of their relationship advancing from that drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I'm going to need to bring a notary on my nights out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Ah jesus you can't win.

"Thanks but no, let me get them."

Unthinkable eh??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

fizzypish wrote:
    Despite the cuntishness of the act, I really would like to know what that level of "Not giving 1 ****" feels like.

Ask your Mrs. She accepted a friend from a stranger. Maybe she thought he was just a great guy going around buying drinks, maybe she didn't give 1 ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I would regularly offer a drink to a stranger if it's just the two of us chatting at a bar. Some accept, some don't, some insist on them buying mine, some buy me one back.
    I've never even thought of an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I would regularly offer a drink to a stranger if it's just the two of us chatting at a bar. Some accept, some don't, some insist on them buying mine, some buy me one back.

This. Or if someone offers to buy me a drink and I don't want to give them the wrong idea but feel like a chat, I'd offer to buy my own drink but will chat away to them while having it. I don't like feeling obligated to talking to someone if a drink is bought for me, I can walk away without feeling like a complete cnut if I get it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Ah jesus you can't win.
    or

Nonsense!! For your first option a girl can just say 'No thanks' - no need to add anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I'd regularly chat to a stranger at a bar, but I would never consider buying them a drink. Why would you do that? Do you offer to pay for the shopping of a stranger in the queue in Tesco :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'd regularly chat to a stranger at a bar, but I would never consider buying them a drink.

Stingy fecker :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

99 times out of 100 an offer of a drink is an offer of a knobbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

99 times out of 100 an offer of a drink is an offer of a knobbing

Holy crap. When I think back the number of times housewives gave me tea, and I could have been on the job, too.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Now, to ride Mrs. O'Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I think when you buy a girl a drink if you'v been chatting the idea is to see where the conversation goes and if there is something more there, of course after the drink if the girl decides there's nothing more to things that's grand, but if your accepting a drink knowing there is zero chance of something more it's bad form imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I think when you buy a girl a drink if you'v been chatting the idea is to see where the conversation goes and if there is something more there, of course after the drink if the girl decides there's nothing more to things that's grand, but if your accepting a drink knowing there is zero chance of something more it's bad form imo.

But surely how long she takes to drink the actual drink has to come into it.

You buy her a drink and she downs it in 6 seconds what are you to do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

D Trent wrote: »

Talk fast.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

D Trent wrote: »

Congratulate her on downing a drink in 6 seconds, or call a doctor for when it hits her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fizzypish wrote: »
    My GF was out one night and a fella started chattering her up. He bought her a drink and as they were chatting she mentioned she had a BF (me). He snatched the drink back off her and walked away without a word. Despite the cuntishness of the act, I really would like to know what that level of "Not giving 1 ****" feels like.

He was right to, she knew what she was doing.

My dad offered to buy me a drink in the pub recently. Should I inform him that incest is illegal in most countries?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/context

When your dad remembers he forgot to do something and shouts "**** me!" do you pull your pants down and get to work?

When you take your missus home, she's in the mood, gets undressed and says "**** me" do you ask her what's wrong, did she forget something, etc?

Ah jesus you can't win.

"Sure if you want, but I should let you know first that I have a boyfriend and don't want to give the wrong impression."
    Fixed your post and your entire dilemma. :D

If at that point he buys the drink and still tries it on, you're well and good to down it or take it and tell him where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Less Blab More Scab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Less stinge, more minge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was walking by a bus stop in Dublin city centre about ten years or so ago. My memory says Eden Quay but could be wrong.
    Anyways, a man a head of men (20 feet) flicks his cigarette to the ground and continues walking. Then a woman (40s and well dressed) immediately picks it up and smokes the remaining few drags off it.

Not a bother on her doing it too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was walking by a bus stop in Dublin city centre about ten years or so ago. My memory says Eden Quay but could be wrong.
    Anyways, a man a head of men (20 feet) flicks his cigarette to the ground and continues walking. Then a woman (40s and well dressed) immediately picks it up and smokes the remaining few drags off it.

Not a bother on her doing it too.

Ewwwww!! Stingy and gross.

Advertisement