Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Toots wrote: »
    Ewwwww!! Stingy and gross.

I know. Your man could have hep-c for all she bloody knew too. Was one of these 'what the hell... ' moments as I walked past her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was walking by a bus stop in Dublin city centre about ten years or so ago. My memory says Eden Quay but could be wrong.
    Anyways, a man a head of men (20 feet) flicks his cigarette to the ground and continues walking. Then a woman (40s and well dressed) immediately picks it up and smokes the remaining few drags off it.

Not a bother on her doing it too.

Could it have been CJ, or even Gerry? The well-dressed woman was probably just looking for kicks... or box, maybe? Did you notice any heavies walking in the same direction? Or the opposite direction, even?

Not a stingy story, but a funny-ish one (if it wasn't you): I was waiting to cross a road in town one day, just finished a cigarette, so I pinched the burning bit out and let if fall. There was a guy standing next to me wearing wide-flared jeans that were turned up (who does that?). Anyway, the firebomb landed in the turn-up, still burning, starting to smoulder. I looked down; saw the smoke; was just about to say something... but then the lights changed. I was first across that road, not actually whistling...

Stingy may well be picking up a discarded lit cigarette and smoking the rest; stingier maybe picking up dead discarded cigarettes with some tomacco left and smoking them yourself; stingiest would be re-rolling that tomacco and trading it to one of your 'mates' for a slug of their gargle. All this ship happened. There are at least a thousand stories in the city...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I know. Your man could have hep-c for all she bloody knew too. Was one of these 'what the hell... ' moments as I walked past her.

I know of smokers who have done worse, but that's a whole other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

There's stingy and then there's "can we go back to guy lifting drink after being rebuffed" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

goz83 wrote: »
    I know of smokers who have done worse, but that's a whole other thread.

Link? G'wan, g'wan, g'wan.

I know of smokers who smoked actual grass (the lawn kind) and actual tea (the drinking kind) when there was no tomacco (sic, not the Homer kind). Sure, desperate poor people ate actual grass even and ate actual people when times were really, really, really hard. Gerrup the yard.

Not stingy - more instinctive - people eating their own vomit. I have seen that, and they were not starving, or even hungry. It must be an atavistic response. A throwback thing - a survival thing. Fit, fitter, fittest. Stingy, stingier, stingiest. Worse, worser, worsest. Real words, apparently... But maybe not?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I remember being a crusty student way back when and me and my mate were sh1tfaced trying to roll joints with no tobacco so we scoured the ground outside looking for butts to roll. Sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I remember being a crusty student way back when and me and my mate were sh1tfaced trying to roll joints with no tobacco so we scoured the ground outside looking for butts to roll. Sad but true.

Normal people would just roll smaller pinners surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Normal people would just roll smaller pinners surely
    It was small but we had zero tobacco so we had no choice in the matter. Think we ended up with a one skinner. Happy dayz :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It was small but we had zero tobacco so we had no choice in the matter. Think we ended up with a one skinner. Happy dayz :pac:
    Stingy is crawling over the carpet with a magnifying glass looking for crumbs of hash that had been dropped, to roll another one. End of the session, pished and wanting a smoke. Feck knows what was actually in that doobie.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

D Trent wrote: »
    But surely how long she takes to drink the actual drink has to come into it.

You buy her a drink and she downs it in 6 seconds what are you to do ?

Bundle her into a taxi before before anyone notices the rohypnol kicking in?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Surprised the old " can I buy you a drink " line is still surviving.
    To me is sounds a bit 1980's and incredibly cheesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

That line has been used far longer than the 80's and is just as good and effective now as it was then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

"Show us your tits?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

"get your coat. You have pulled".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

'Can I buy you a drink?' is a classic line. Nothing cheesy about it at all.
    There is a problem with it tho... If you use the line expect some women to accept the drink then walk away from you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

accept the drink then walk away from you :pac:

without having sex?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Met a friend for coffee today. Ordered scones too, as you do. The waitress asked us if we wanted jam or cream with our scones. I didn't think anything of it and I said both, as I put butter, jam AND cream on mine. I know, I know, I'm such a extravagant divil. :P

When we got the bill, we saw an extra one euro charge on it. When asked what it was for, we were told that scones only come with two condiments. Jam OR cream. (You were given butter, as a given.) If you want third one, you have to pay for it, at 50 cents a pop. Needless to say, we won't be going back there again. Effing cheapskates ! :mad:

Yer man was a wanker for taking his drink back, but if it meant that much to him, he shouldn't have offered to buy her a drink, in the first place, without first determining her relationship status. It ain't hard to do. If they were having such a good chat in the first place, dropping in a few subtle, leading questions, about the possibly of a boyfriend existing, ain't exactly rocket science.

You can't just presume that a woman sitting a bar, on her own, and being polite to the person who is making small talk with her, is (a) single (b) on the pull or (c) receptive to advances. She may just be waiting for her fella to park the car, or get off work, or whatever. If yer man is so thick as to think that a woman sitting a bar on her own, is a simple, black and white case of being a cougar on the pull, then he deserves everything that is coming to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Met a friend for coffee today. Ordered scones too, as you do. The waitress asked us if we wanted jam or cream with our scones. I didn't think anything of it and I said both, as I put butter, jam AND cream on mine. I know, I know, I'm such a extravagant divil. :P

When we got the bill, we saw an extra one euro charge on it. When asked what it was for, we were told that scones only come with two condiments. Jam OR cream. (You were given butter, as a given.) If you want third one, you have to pay for it, at 50 cents a pop. Needless to say, we won't be going back there again. Effing cheapskates ! :mad:

I think your the cheapskate here ProudDub. You asked for both so it's fair you pay the extra. Also 50c isn't going to break you :P

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think your the cheapskate here ProudDub. You asked for both so it's fair you pay the extra. Also 50c isn't going to break you :P

It is the principle of the thing. I have eaten many a scone in my time. Jam and cream are the standard toppings. You shouldn't have to pay extra if you want both. (Also, not informing the customer of the additional charge, or printing it on the menu is bad customer service.) It is how scones are normally served.

If I order a hamburger in a restaurant & it does not say on the menu, that it comes with cheese or bacon as toppings, I presume that all I am getting is a plain burger. I have no problem coughing up the extra moolah for a slice of cheddar or pig. Scones are not usually sold in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭storker

Esel wrote: »
    I know of smokers who smoked actual grass (the lawn kind) and actual tea (the drinking kind) when there was no tomacco (sic, not the Homer kind). Sure, desperate poor people ate actual grass even and ate actual people when times were really, really, really hard.

Reminds me of an anecdote from "The Emergency" when among many other things, tobacco was hard to come by. One farmer, feeling the pangs of his unsatisfied tobacco craving, felt aggrieved to see his neighbor in the next field puffing away on his pipe. As he approached the neighbour, the smoker turned to him and asked him if he had ever tried smoking cow dung. The man replied that he hadn't, whereupon the neighbour emptied his pipe onto the ground and announced, "Well, I'll tell you something. You've missed fcuk all..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Yer man was a wanker for taking his drink back, but if it meant that much to him, he shouldn't have offered to buy her a drink, in the first place, without first determining her relationship status. It ain't hard to do. If they were having such a good chat in the first place, dropping in a few subtle, leading questions, about the possibly of a boyfriend existing, ain't exactly rocket science.

You can't just presume that a woman sitting a bar, on her own, and being polite to the person who is making small talk with her, is (a) single (b) on the pull or (c) receptive to advances. She may just be waiting for her fella to park the car, or get off work, or whatever. If yer man is so thick as to think that a woman sitting a bar on her own, is a simple, black and white case of being a cougar on the pull, then he deserves everything that is coming to him.

Reminds me of a cafe I know, that charges an extra euro. If you want mushrooms with your full Irish.

Reminds me of a cafe I know, that charges an extra euro. If you want mushrooms with your full Irish.

I've often seen a menu with a 'set' full Irish. It's rashers, sossies, eggs, tomato & pudding. If you want anything else (like mushrooms, hash browns or beans) ya gots ta pay for 'em. I wouldn't say that is all that unusual.

I'm with proud dub on this one, if they're charging extra for that they should say so instead of asking all casual and then sneaking in the charge.
    Happened to me before when i was asked in a cafe do I need ketchup or mayo. Bam, extra charge on the receipt. Gits

I've often seen a menu with a 'set' full Irish. It's rashers, sossies, eggs, tomato & pudding. If you want anything else (like mushrooms, hash browns or beans) ya gots ta pay for 'em. I wouldn't say that is all that unusual.

It's not a full Irish without mushrooms and beans.

This place charged a euro for literally 3 mushrooms, it stopped me returning there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The people living next door to my mother are well off. They own several houses that are rented out, have sizeable bank accounts (that they have no problem talking about, regularly) Theyre taking home €1000 in pension between him and her a week (both on state pensions) they have two sons who are grown up, married and have their own homes/lives, so no dependents. They have no mortgage and no loans but they go to bed shortly after dark every day during winter so as they wont have to put the heating or a fire on and won't need lights on or have to boil a kettle to make tea/coffee etc Miserablefcukers!!

It's not a full Irish without mushrooms and beans.

This place charged a euro for literally 3 mushrooms, it stopped me returning there again.

A pox upon anyone who dares put beans anywhere near my plate. That's the thing, see, we all have different notions of what constitutes a full Irish. If I am a restaurant owner, I get to decide what it is. I'm entitled to charge extra for extra items, if I so choose. You as a customer, are entitled to go else where for your brekkie if I do. Not the same thing as scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

It is jam and cream on a scone,so its 2 toppings so reading back thats what you ordered.

A pox upon anyone who dares put beans anywhere near my plate. That's the thing, see, we all have different notions of what constitutes a full Irish. If I am a restaurant owner, I get to decide what it is. I'm entitled to charge extra for extra items, if I so choose. You as a customer, are entitled to go else where for your brekkie if I do. Not the same thing as scones.

You are entitled to charge, what ever you want. If you are restaurant owner.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you are charging an extra euro for 3 mushrooms and you're competitors are not, where will the customer go?

Anyway less winge more stinge.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Anyway less winge more stinge.

No. More talk about what makes a good brekkie item. I particularly like the bits where there are pages and pages about the minutiae of breakfast or discussing whether a particular behaviour was stingy or frugal or genius, or whether it was clever but I wouldn't do it, or the meaning of offering someone a drink. The meaning of a drink should get some more pages and snooze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes. Less whinge, more stinge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I did not expect my little story to incite such controversy.....

Advertisement