Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Fella in the coffee shop trying to get a discount because he wanted his coffee in an already used cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Winterlong wrote: »
    Fella in the coffee shop trying to get a discount because he wanted his coffee in an already used cup.

Some coffee shops give a discount if you bring your own cup. Perhaps he was just asking if that was the case? I'd gladly reuse a cup, not to save money, but to reduce the amount of waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

sullivlo wrote: »
    Some coffee shops give a discount if you bring your own cup. Perhaps he was just asking if that was the case? I'd gladly reuse a cup, not to save money, but to reduce the amount of waste.

Nah, he was arguing with them after they said 'no'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I'm not sure if this is a new thing with the water charges and what not, restaurant in Portlaoise charges €1 per pint of tap water? Now I'm not certain if the euro is for a splash of miwadi (I know it's only a euro)? But surely you'd only be charged for bottled water? I've never eaten anywhere else and been charged for even a full jug of water with ice. I never have a problem paying it, just find it a bit stingy for the place to be charging, especially even if you're a designated driver or that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

BoobeR wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a new thing with the water charges and what not, restaurant in Portlaoise charges €1 per pint of tap water? Now I'm not certain if the euro is for a splash of miwadi (I know it's only a euro)? But surely you'd only be charged for bottled water? I've never eaten anywhere else and been charged for even a full jug of water with ice. I never have a problem paying it, just find it a bit stingy for the place to be charging, especially even if you're a designated driver or that

You're not really paying for the water, but the time and facilities.
    The restaurant isn't the stingy one here.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Given our history it's stingy.

If you've read The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849 Cecil Woodham-Smith then you'd know contemporary accounts compared the Irish even when destitute giving travellers water, while the denizens of Anglesey were charging for it.

Yes they are entitled to charge for the Miwadi, but for plain tap water with no ice or lemon or whatever it's something that guaranteed to rub the wrong way with a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I remember some places during the boom would charge anywhere from €1.20 to €1.60 for a pint of tap water. Only the odd place mind you plenty charged nothing tbf but I found the smaller, family business not to charge, maybe in case customers wouldn't come back cause of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Given our history it's stingy.

If you've read The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849 Cecil Woodham-Smith then you'd know contemporary accounts compared the Irish even when destitute giving travellers water, while the denizens of Anglesey were charging for it.

Yes they are entitled to charge for the Miwadi, but for plain tap water with no ice or lemon or whatever it's something that guaranteed to rub the wrong way with a lot of people.

Yeah, I agree that for some reasons it might not go down well, and certainly not so well as a freebie, that's for sure.
    However, I don't think its historical relevance is of much issue here, more the poster's reluctance to accept that businesses have overheads that must be covered. They could treat free water as a loss-leader if they want, that's an entirely commercial decision that's entirely theirs to make, but if they chose to charge a small amount I have no quarrel with that at all.
    Reminds me to pop into my local butchers and pick up some free chops - after all, he can afford it, can't he?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

sullivlo wrote: »

Some coffee shops give a discount if you bring your own cup?

If I go to the pub I'll bring my own pint glass from now on.

Few shot glasses in my back pocket as well just in case.

Bring my own plate, forks and knives, next time I go to a restaurant. Own napkins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Ah, so you've already paid for the specific branded cup, pint glass, shot glasses, plates, knives and forks from each individual outlet, good for you! You get the rewards after an initial investment, of course. Is this really still a completely new concept for some? It's been the case in certain chain outlets for years. I don't even use them myself and I knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My local gives out pints of Miwadi/Ribena free.....and that's a pub. Mind you, he refused to raise the price of alcohol for years until most of the customers nagged him into it :confused: He was close to losing money all the time and 10c/20c extra a pint was nothing.

But charging €1 for a pint of tap water is just scabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

learn_more wrote: »
    Some coffee shops give a discount if you bring your own cup?

If I go to the pub I'll bring my own pint glass from now on.

Few shot glasses in my back pocket as well just in case.

Bring my own plate, forks and knives, next time I go to a restaurant. Own napkins too.
    :rolleyes:

Some coffee shops will give you a discount if you bring your own cup. It is to encourage those who are getting coffee to-go to use a reusable cup, rather than a paper cup. It reduces waste as most of those cups can't be recycled. Also, I much prefer drinking out of a decent travel mug that's not going to spill and isn't going to burn my hand when I'm carrying it.

Some coffee shops have signs up informing patrons of this discount.

If I frequented a coffee shop that offered the discount, and then visited a different one, I might ask if the same offer applied. But I wouldn't argue the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Got another stinge story involving my GF. She's studying for her masters in a European University. Her class mates found a way to avoid buying a book for class by printing it from an existing copy (It worked out a lot cheaper, I'm not sure how). They asked a Dutch guy in the class to lend them his book for 10 minutes and he charged them a euro each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

fizzypish wrote: »
    Got another stinge story involving my GF. She's studying for her masters in a European University. Her class mates found a way to avoid buying a book for class by printing it from an existing copy (It worked out a lot cheaper, I'm not sure how). They asked a Dutch guy in the class to lend them his book for 10 minutes and he charged them a euro each.

I know how stingy of the class to wait for one guy to buy the book and them all copy it...

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Dan Jaman wrote: »

I could be very wrong but I was under the impression that any bar (possibly restaurant too) has to server tap water free of charge. I recall being told this years ago when I worked as a bartender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I could be very wrong but I was under the impression that any bar (possibly restaurant too) has to server tap water free of charge. I recall being told this years ago when I worked as a bartender.

It's the law in the UK that they have to have free tap water available, don't think that's the case in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Last week a friend of my oul fella rang him looking for tickets for the match. We sourced two on Wednesday and I was asked to pick them up and post them on. As the post wouldn't be picked up until Thursday evening and as yer man lived in Wexford the question arose as to how to post them.

I told him I could use Post Express.
    How much is that?
    Dunno, but I sent a report with it last Easter and it cost €9 or €10 IIRC.
    So €9?
    Yeah, 9 or 10.
    No you said 9.
    Whatever.
    I'll send you on €169 so.

Now I had to do a round trip of 50km to pick the tickets up, bring them to a post office in a large town and go home again. Also the tickets were very scarce this Year, so I thought it was odd how he fought a bit about the €1.

So I post them on, as it turns out the 0Post Express for a standard letter is €6.40.

Friday night he texts me asking to return the €2.60 difference. No acknowledgement of the trouble we went to get his tickets. I didn't respond, so he texts me again on Saturday and Monday evening.

Today he rings me, telling me ( not asking, I mean telling me) to get two tickets for the replay and to post them on. He'll send me the money minus the €2.60 that I owe him.

I said that I'll see what I can do. In reality he can go and have a running jump for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Red Kev wrote: »
    Last week a friend of my oul fella rang him looking for tickets for the match. We sourced two on Wednesday and I was asked to pick them up and post them on. As the post wouldn't be picked up until Thursday evening and as yer man lived in Wexford the question arose as to how to post them.

How much is that?
    So €9?
    Yeah, 9 or 10.
    No you said 9.
    Whatever.

Now I had to do a round trip of 50km to pick the tickets up, bring them to a post office in a large town and go home again. Also the tickets were very scarce this Year, so I thought it was odd how he fought a bit about the €1.

So I post them on, as it turns out the 0Post Express for a standard letter is €6.40.

Friday night he texts me asking to return the €2.60 difference. No acknowledgement of the trouble we went to get his tickets. I didn't respond, so he texts me again on Saturday and Monday evening.

Today he rings me, telling me ( not asking, I mean telling me) to get two tickets for the replay and to post them on. He'll send me the money minus the €2.60 that I owe him.

I said that I'll see what I can do. In reality he can go and have a running jump for himself.

What a pr1ck. If he had any decency he'd have sent another tenner and told you to have a pint. He'd have had a better chance of getting more for the replay.
    I sourced tickets for two neighbours on the friday before the hurling final. I've met them in the pub three times since and each time they bought me a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

When I first met the wife, she was incredibly tight, pretty much making me pay for everything and expecting it. Her brother is still pretty much the same.

I had it out with her one night and she changed totally into the most generous person ever. Almost too generous.

Now that we have a joint account, I wish I hadn't bothered..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,489 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How much is that?
    So €9?
    Yeah, 9 or 10.
    No you said 9.
    Whatever.

tell him the 2.60 doesnt cover the cost of your petrol. see what he says to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

How much is that?
    So €9?
    Yeah, 9 or 10.
    No you said 9.
    Whatever.

You should send him the 2.60 by post to arrive the day before the game. Put a ticket sized card in the envelope saying here's your 2.60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

tell him the 2.60 doesnt cover the cost of your petrol. see what he says to that.

I'm not even going to engage with him. If I text him then it's a waste of 3 cents on my part.

Now that's stinge. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

sligojoek wrote: »
    What a pr1ck. If he had any decency he'd have sent another tenner and told you to have a pint.
    The absolute standard fee for doing someone a favour is a pint. I'd go so far s to say anyone who asks a favour, and doesn't offer at least a pint in return is a complete stinge

(and I know loads who wouldn't accept the pint, but the offer has to be made)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Send him the 2.60 and tell him it's sent. Also tell him you have two tickets sorted for him, don't worry at all, tickets are sorted.

The at the last possible moment tell him the tickets are gone because you were 2.60 short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭benny79

any chance of sending me the 2 tickets and ill sort you out with a few pints :D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

When I first met the wife, she was incredibly tight.

A couple of kids later though........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    A couple of kids later though........

Comedy gold! :D ...ahem...but true! Who am I kidding, I don't think she ever was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

String that prick along. Tell him you have the tickets for him and "sure knock a tenner off on account of the postage mistake". Then don't answer the fcuker until the Friday before the match...tell him you posted the tickets on Thursday and tell him to enjoy the game.

That right there is the definition of a complete and utter miserable fcuk wad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

How much is that?
    So €9?
    Yeah, 9 or 10.
    No you said 9.
    Whatever.

That story isn't over. Keep us updated on what happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tell him you'll drive down with the two tickets no bother.
    Then ring him the night before and say the tickets are gone.

Advertisement