Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When someone does me a favour they get "a drink" in return

20 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

fizzypish wrote: »
    Got another stinge story involving my GF. She's studying for her masters in a European University. Her class mates found a way to avoid buying a book for class by printing it from an existing copy (It worked out a lot cheaper, I'm not sure how). They asked a Dutch guy in the class to lend them his book for 10 minutes and he charged them a euro each.

Your girlfriend does sound incredibly stingy, yes.

I misread "stinge" when I read this the first time. Needless to say, the rest of the story was somewhat disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

I recently completed a large job in a very busy bakery.worked weekends and evenings until it was done.finished the job and the place reopened so I decided to go in for a bun week after.ordered my bun not expecting to pay as I hadn't been paid for job.owner turned and said 2.20 please.as I stood there gobsmacked she then said ah sure a euro will do which was even more embarrassing on her part.even with price agreed for job she still tried to beat me down but I stood firm and she actually mentioned given me the discount on the bun.mean out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

stevep1018 wrote: »
    I recently completed a large job in a very busy bakery.worked weekends and evenings until it was done.finished the job and the place reopened so I decided to go in for a bun week after.ordered my bun not expecting to pay as I hadn't been paid for job.owner turned and said 2.20 please.as I stood there gobsmacked she then said ah sure a euro will do which was even more embarrassing on her part.even with price agreed for job she still tried to beat me down but I stood firm and she actually mentioned given me the discount on the bun.mean out

*grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

When my parents were buying their house, must be 20 years ago, they paid £210,000 for it. On a trip of the property my mother found a pair of chairs out one of the sheds. Fairly cheap yokes but in reasonable condition, bog standard wooden armchairs.

Anyways, she asked the owner could she take the chairs, owner wanted £60 for them, so he brought them inside and they paid £210,060 for the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The chairs in the shed had nothing to do with the house sale. They were in the shed, not in a skip so they were obviously worth something to the owner, and obviously weren't that 'bog standard' if your ma wanted them.

Granted he coulda chucked them in in good faith but its hardly stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

When my parents were buying their house, must be 20 years ago, they paid £210,000 for it. On a trip of the property my mother found a pair of chairs out one of the sheds. Fairly cheap yokes but in reasonable condition, bog standard wooden armchairs.

Anyways, she asked the owner could she take the chairs, owner wanted £60 for them, so he brought them inside and they paid £210,060 for the house.

This, to me, seems like a perfectly reasonable business transaction. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

NufcNavan wrote: »
    That story isn't over. Keep us updated on what happens next.

It's over for me. I made a decision years ago to shut overly negative people out of my life and it's a decision I'm happy with so far. If I even texted him to set him up I'd regard it as a wasted minute of my life.

The oul fella worked with him years ago and said he's mean, but he did it for him as a final favour, but he said to make sure he sends the money by bank transfer before I posted the tickets.

Yer man would eventually pay in full, but he was always a notoriously slow payer of debts owed and usually sent a cheque dated 6-8 weeks in advance to get a bit more on the bank interest.

He texted me this evening, I didn't reply. The oul fella reckons he's going up the walls because I won't even engage with him, so that's it as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Am I missing something?

I think to be fair if I had accepted an offer of 210,000 I would have thrown the chairs in for free.

When I sold my last house I had a lovely handmade kids house that dad made for my little ones. The buyer asked me would I sell it as it was a lovely playhouse for kids. It never entertained my mind to charge him for it. It was a form of a "luck penny".

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

During the stormy Christmas of - dunno - 1998, maybe? Our power went on Christmas Eve. Lots of drunken fumbling in the attic to ensure that, despite weather conditions, Santy would deliver. Of course he did. But sadly everything had a plug on it!!! Christmas Day - still no power. I crossed the fence, to see how the neighbours were doing & was greeted with the aroma of roasting turkey. (They had gas -we had electric). Not as much as a cup of much needed tea was offered to me. I returned home to the grimness of a cold, dark, unlit house. Half an hour later, the neighbour appeared at my back door enquiringly if we had house insurance. Puzzled, I replied in the affirmative & wondered why this was relevant.... (Wait for this.....). She said 'well our dinner is almost ready & I'm afraid to open my freezer to take out the potato croquettes, in case everything in the freezer spoils. You guys have insurance, right? So maybe you could give us your croquettes & if the power failure lasts & everything in your freezer is spoilt, well - you can always claim off your insurance'.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    During the stormy Christmas of - dunno - 1998, maybe? Our power went on Christmas Eve. Lots of drunken fumbling in the attic to ensure that, despite weather conditions, Santy would deliver. Of course he did. But sadly everything had a plug on it!!! Christmas Day - still no power. I crossed the fence, to see how the neighbours were doing & was greeted with the aroma of roasting turkey. (They had gas -we had electric). Not as much as a cup of much needed tea was offered to me. I returned home to the grimness of a cold, dark, unlit house. Half an hour later, the neighbour appeared at my back door enquiringly if we had house insurance. Puzzled, I replied in the affirmative & wondered why this was relevant.... (Wait for this.....). She said 'well our dinner is almost ready & I'm afraid to open my freezer to take out the potato croquettes, in case everything in the freezer spoils. You guys have insurance, right? So maybe you could give us your croquettes & if the power failure lasts & everything in your freezer is spoilt, well - you can always claim off your insurance'.

Not so much stingy, just flat out bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

And a Happy Christmas to you too! Unreal. Some people are so selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Irish government must surely top the league of stingy. A country run by a bunch of kunts, a government that is nothing more than a shower of corporate lap dogs. Yes, they decided not to pursue billions in unpaid taxes for fear of upsetting the 1%. So the poor old ordinary taxpayer never got the dues they deserved for years of sacrifice and more people than ever sleep in cardboard boxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Not so much stingy, just flat out bizarre.

It's both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Red Kev wrote: »
    It's over for me. I made a decision years ago to shut overly negative people out of my life and it's a decision I'm happy with so far. If I even texted him to set him up I'd regard it as a wasted minute of my life.

The oul fella worked with him years ago and said he's mean, but he did it for him as a final favour, but he said to make sure he sends the money by bank transfer before I posted the tickets.

Yer man would eventually pay in full, but he was always a notoriously slow payer of debts owed and usually sent a cheque dated 6-8 weeks in advance to get a bit more on the bank interest.

He texted me this evening, I didn't reply. The oul fella reckons he's going up the walls because I won't even engage with him, so that's it as far as I'm concerned.

You are dead right.
    FFS, let him climb the walls. Refund the €2.60 when hell freezes over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Send a quick text:

Sorry xxxxxx (tight f**k) I'm feckin broke. I've had to sell the tickets elsewhere so I could raise the few quid to repay your €2.60. The up side is the €2.60 is in the post and you'll have it soon. Hopefully next year eh.
    Take care my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The Irish government must surely top the league of stingy. A country run by a bunch of kunts, a government that is nothing more than a shower of corporate lap dogs. Yes, they decided not to pursue billions in unpaid taxes for fear of upsetting the 1%. So the poor old ordinary taxpayer never got the dues they deserved for years of sacrifice and more people than ever sleep in cardboard boxes.

Plenty of other threads on AH for that. Let's keep this one light hearted and without politics please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

That's the sweetest plum of this outcome. Scabby fecker get's to stew in frustration. A nice hard lesson for him to learn for his mean ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

elfy4eva wrote: »
    That's the sweetest plum of this outcome. Scabby fecker get's to stew in frustration. A nice hard lesson for him to learn for his mean ways.

Do you really think that'll happen? He'll be sitting there telling all his friends about this tight bastard who stole €2.60 from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Do you really think that'll happen? He'll be sitting there telling all his friends about this tight bastard who stole €2.60 from him.

Wait till his friends ask how he managed to have €2.60 stolen from him. Mind you, they probably know how scabby he is already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fcuk him, utter scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

WTF?

Not even sure what to describe that as.
    What must go thought peoples minds to think thats a reasonable request?

Also, unrelated but something that always annoys me.
    Why do some people seem to think insurance is like some kinda of service that if you ring them you'll have the money in your pocket ten minutes later. Completely ignoring the hassle of making a claim, the likely excess involved and the fact that the following years premiums will go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Dodge wrote: »
    Plenty of other threads on AH for that. Let's keep this one light hearted and without politics please

mod-Hey stinge bag, stop stealing my lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree that for some reasons it might not go down well, and certainly not so well as a freebie, that's for sure.
    However, I don't think its historical relevance is of much issue here, more the poster's reluctance to accept that businesses have overheads that must be covered. They could treat free water as a loss-leader if they want, that's an entirely commercial decision that's entirely theirs to make, but if they chose to charge a small amount I have no quarrel with that at all.
    Reminds me to pop into my local butchers and pick up some free chops - after all, he can afford it, can't he?

This was with two 3 course meals and was a service charge as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

stevep1018 wrote: »
    Safe to assume you did this very large job for free, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Billy86 wrote: »
    Safe to assume you did this very large job for free, right?

"even with price agreed for job she still tried to beat me down" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

osarusan wrote: »
    Send him the 2.60 and tell him it's sent. Also tell him you have two tickets sorted for him, don't worry at all, tickets are sorted.

The at the last possible moment tell him the tickets are gone because you were 2.60 short.
    Send him a cheque for 2.60 minus the cost of an envelop and stamp :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    And don't forget the cost of the cheque.....

At that rate you'll be sending him a bill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And don't forget the cost of the cheque.....

At that rate you'll be sending him a bill :D

And the cost of the envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And the cost of the envelope.
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Already thought of! :cool:

Advertisement