Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

... and the cost of the time involved.
    Amazing how these things rack up, when a price is put on the little 'favours' that tight feckers expect people to do for free.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

stevep1018 wrote: »
    I recently completed a large job in a very busy bakery.worked weekends and evenings until it was done.finished the job and the place reopened so I decided to go in for a bun week after.ordered my bun not expecting to pay as I hadn't been paid for job.owner turned and said 2.20 please.as I stood there gobsmacked she then said ah sure a euro will do which was even more embarrassing on her part.even with price agreed for job she still tried to beat me down but I stood firm and she actually mentioned given me the discount on the bun.mean out

I don't understand why you were gobsmacked. She's running a business.

She might have tried to haggle the price of your services down but you expected her services for free

Why did you expect free stuff ya stinge

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Brochatshow

Long term lurker of this thread here who has finally encountered stinginess worth posting :P As a college requirement, a group of us had to attend a meeting 120km round trip away. Being the only one with a car I was forced to drive it, while the two lads slept in the back. Long story short, had to pay 7€ parking, neither put a hand in their pockets. I stopped for petrol on the way back, filled up with €10 (even though the tank could've done with more) just so they didn't think I was trying to fleece them. Went into pay thinking they'll have sorted it out between them while I'm gone. Bought sweets for the car and all. Dropped them both to their door and barely got a thanks let alone any sub for petrol. I thought it was fierce slack altogether, still quietly raging 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I was talking to a neighbour earlier she told me a storey about her brother.
    a relative was over for the US I think. the relative was flying home from Dublin and was getting a taxi up. it was going to cost 80 euro.
    that's stingy enough, surely either of them could have dropped he off, its only 90 minute drive.

she told me her brother offered to drive the relative up . when he got there he asked for the 80 euro for the trip. his story was sure you were going to give it to a taxi sure you'll give it to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

a relative was over for the US I think. the relative was flying home from Dublin and was getting a taxi up. it was going to cost 80 euro.
    that's stingy enough, surely either of them could have dropped he off, its only 90 minute drive.

she told me her brother offered to drive the relative up . when he got there he asked for the 80 euro for the trip. his story was sure you were going to give it to a taxi sure you'll give it to me

I can't find the words..,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I can understand the reluctance of the first pair to go to all the hassle of Dublin and the airport. I wouldn't, bu66er that.
    Otoh, the brother is a gobshoyte - he should have asked for fifty, up front, and the relative would have probably paid that, no problem. To effectively ambush for payment is a mean, dirty move.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Long term lurker of this thread here who has finally encountered stinginess worth posting :P As a college requirement, a group of us had to attend a meeting 120km round trip away. Being the only one with a car I was forced to drive it, while the two lads slept in the back. Long story short, had to pay 7€ parking, neither put a hand in their pockets. I stopped for petrol on the way back, filled up with €10 (even though the tank could've done with more) just so they didn't think I was trying to fleece them. Went into pay thinking they'll have sorted it out between them while I'm gone. Bought sweets for the car and all. Dropped them both to their door and barely got a thanks let alone any sub for petrol. I thought it was fierce slack altogether, still quietly raging 😂

Very annoying alright. And they didn't even keep you company if they slept all the way. Would you drive them again if something similar came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

That relative won't be visiting them again anytime soon! Irish hospitality how are ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

To be fair, if you're dealing with 18/19 year olds who don't drive, they just might not be aware of the cost of running a car. You're better off telling them up front to cover petrol costs rather than hoping they'll sort you without being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Brochatshow

To be fair, if you're dealing with 18/19 year olds who don't drive, they just might not be aware of the cost of running a car. You're better off telling them up front to cover petrol costs rather than hoping they'll sort you without being asked.

I'd agree but they're both 25 strong. I'm 21 so they know I'm not rolling in money either. Generally I think it's understood that you'd help out with petrol. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be mortified (or at least my mother would :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I'd agree but they're both 25 strong. I'm 21 so they know I'm not rolling in money either. Generally I think it's understood that you'd help out with petrol. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be mortified (or at least my mother would :P)

Nip that in the bud. If there is another trip, be upfront about them having to, at least, contribute for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭ronjo

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Nip that in the bud. If there is another trip, be upfront about them having to, at least, contribute for petrol.

I would also mention the cost of the previous trip and make sure they subbed up for that too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

LynnGrace wrote: »

I'd tell them to go and sh!te, they can make their own way if there's another trip. If they ask why, tell them you're not operating a charity taxi service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

ronjo wrote: »
    I would also mention the cost of the previous trip and make sure they subbed up for that too.

I wouldnt the time to mention the previous journey was before said previous journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

dubstarr wrote: »
    I wouldnt the time to mention the previous journey was before said previous journey.

Wooden knot, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I had been looking after my friends 2 children for nearly 24 hours, she was on the way to us and we were planning on her spending the night and us two heading out for a few drinks. She rang me from Tesco to know if I wanted anything picked up, I said yeah a bottle of smirnoff please (the €20 one) she rings back a few mins later to tell me she would buy the vodka for me if I would accept a different brand as it was a euro cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was visiting someone in hospital today and he was telling me that the fella in the bed across from his has been helping himself to the medical supplies when the nurses aren't looking.

He's taking bandages and plasters and when he goes for a shower, he takes the talc and the shampoo that's left in the communal bathroom for all patients to use.

He takes the toilet rolls, too, and when the trolley comes round, he asks for five sugars.
    He doesn't take sugar in his tea.
    He wants to save them all up.

He asked for two packs of biscuits yesterday because he was "hungry" but he stashed them in his bedside locker and today when he was out of the ward, my friend glanced over and saw a happy little tower of biscuits almost wobbling over in said locker, alongside seventy million sugar packets.

My friend gets on well with this lad and they have a bit of banter, so he said to him later "Where are you going with all the sugar and stuff?", and he replied: "I'm moving into a council house next week so this lot will save me a few bob."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

wally79 wrote: »
    I don't understand why you were gobsmacked. She's running a business.

She might have tried to haggle the price of your services down but you expected her services for free

Why did you expect free stuff ya stinge
    There's a big difference in getting a bun for 2.20 for free and a 30,000 job for free smartass

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Back in the 80's my parents moved into a new-build house. It was in the middle of winter. They were due to sign contracts at the solicitors in the morning but stopped off at the house first to see if all was still okay. They found out the builder had called over just before them and took out the fire grates, lightbulbs and Eircom-handset. So, no light or heat in mid-November. At the solicitors they refused to sign till the fire grates at least were put back in.

The solicitor also ordered him to complete the path in the garden within x-amount of weeks after the sale closed. He came out one day, laid and smoothed the new path. Then he raked the whole thing over to ruin it and stomped back off to his van. (okay that's just weird, not stingy).

They thought that was the last they'd see of his stinginess, until the following year when hospital bills (and repeat demands) for his family started arriving at our house... Bearing in mind he never lived there, my parents were the first people living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

stevep1018 wrote: »
    There's a big difference in getting a bun for 2.20 for free and a 30,000 job for free smartass

I assume you were paid eventually and she didn't get the job for free. What were the payment terms for the job? If on credit and she hadn't breached the terms, then there's no issue. Running a bakery is a different, cash business. Payment there and then.

Just because you didn't get something for free doesn't make the other person stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

60km is the equivalent of Dublin to Navan, it's about 30 mins each way. If a friend was giving me a lift that short, it wouldn't even occur to me to offer to pay for petrol. (Oh God, am I the stinge? :eek: ) I would deffo offer to pay any incidental expenses, parking, tolls etc. I gave a neighbour a lift to our favourite garden centre out in Celbridge last week. It didn't occur to me to look for payment, or feel hard done by that she didn't offer. Are cash strapped students a different dynamic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    60km is the equivalent of Dublin to Navan, it's about 30 mins each way. If a friend was giving me a lift that short, it wouldn't even occur to me to offer to pay for petrol. (Oh God, am I the stinge? :eek: ) I would deffo offer to pay any incidental expenses, parking, tolls etc. I gave a neighbour a lift to our favourite garden centre out in Celbridge last week. It didn't occur to me to look for payment, or feel hard done by that she didn't offer. Are cash strapped students a different dynamic?

Yeah I wouldn't offer petrol money for a spin if it was a case that they were going to be going anyway themselves. Like if I'm going cycling and giving a friend a lift to the start I wouldn't dream of asking for petrol money. My friends would probably offer to pay the parking or the tolls or shout me a coffee.

But we're not cash strapped students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, I've given lifts to people going places and they would often pay for cuppa and the bun in the coffee shop later, or whatever. When my sister-in-law does it, she says (during the inevitable row to pay at the till :D) it's because "you did the driving" which encompasses everything to do with driving, not just the cost of the petrol. If it was much longer/further trip, that's a different story. But I wouldn't classify Dublin to Navan (or its equivalent) as a long trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Probably a bit easier to go down this route when nearly retired as not much to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I know a lad who goes into the nearest bookmakers to his workplace when he's on his lunch break to use the free coffee machine they have for punters..

He'd go in there get coffee and walk out.

He's not a gambling man either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Red Kev wrote: »
    It's over for me. I made a decision years ago to shut overly negative people out of my life and it's a decision I'm happy with so far. If I even texted him to set him up I'd regard it as a wasted minute of my life.

The oul fella worked with him years ago and said he's mean, but he did it for him as a final favour, but he said to make sure he sends the money by bank transfer before I posted the tickets.

Yer man would eventually pay in full, but he was always a notoriously slow payer of debts owed and usually sent a cheque dated 6-8 weeks in advance to get a bit more on the bank interest.

He texted me this evening, I didn't reply. The oul fella reckons he's going up the walls because I won't even engage with him, so that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Just read this today, what a stingy bastard, a month on did he ever come back with anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Bit stingy with the ole stories at the mo. I always forget about this thread and get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see it bumped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Recently back from a few weeks in South Africa. Their currency is the RAND, it's weak, there are 15 Rand in 1 Euro.

One day we go on a wine tour with a group. There are 6 couples, 1 irish, 1 Aussies, 1 swedes and 2 Germans. Germans are early forties, head to toe in North Face gear and big cameras (just highlighting they are not paupers)

Halfway through the tour we stop for lunch which isn't included. The Germans ask if the wine is included here also and our guide says no. They share a glass between 2, fair enough i suppose. We're in a vineyard so a glass about €1.50. The meal is excellent, costs about a €10 each. Finally the bill arrives and a staff service charge of 10% is added as were a group. I worked out what we owed and added about 15% on since service was good.

The waiter tots it up and between all of us we are 28 Rand short. The equivalent of €1.80. Pure silence. I know it's not us and I've given enough but no-one budges. Eventually my other half just goes, "how about everyone throws on 5 Rand (30 cent)", so we do and the Aussies do and the swedes do but the Germans don't budge. Eventually the Aussies guy just goes "oh for **** sake" and toss 20 Rand to the waiter, who leaves.

The Germans start arguing then and from my OH's German junior cert skills, one couple had refused to pay the 10% service charge as they didn't agree with it. Wánkers just sat there brazen as fúck too save €1.80 between 4 of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

About ten years ago i had a hen to go to. The girl would have a lot of friends from different groups so there were family / work / inlaws etc in the mix. We were going to a local town but most decided we'd stay over to make a night of it cause its far enough out that makes taxis a pain and expensive.

Anyway a few weeks before, the chief bridesmaid ( hens sis) rings our group up and tells us shes booked an apartment for ten of the group including hen so if we want to book same area work away. No problem. So there's four in our group and we get an apartment booked .... 30 odd quid each for the night. Happy days!

Fastforward to the night and we're all out for dinner in a restaurant .... standard place, not overly fancy. There are about 25 girls, maybe about 5 separate groups divided between her family, her work mates, his family, etc so as anyone who has ever been on a hen knows, its all very civil at start of the night when u all don't know eachother and ur just making small talk sussing out who ppl are.

So theres the girls from the hens apartment, our group of 4 , another group who had apt elsewhere and then some girls who had driven out and were driving home after. But were all meeting for the first time as we sit for dinner.

Meal over and the chief BM starts sorting the bill. But instead of saying down the table its X amount each ( less the hen obviously ) she comes down and leans In between groups and whispers ' oh we're gonna pay for the hen etc whisper whisper incoherent mumbling ' now she has to do this a few times as the group is big but all we hear is ' paying for hen ' which of course we all assumed anyway and we're all like ..... 'yeah yeah of course'.

Then she says ...... so that's 85 euro a head.

My mate beside me shot me a confused look and we look round the table and everyone giving each other the same looks! But nobody is saying anything cause you don't want to be the one to cause a fuss in front of strangers. So pay up we do and then she announces she hasn't even included tip in that!

We head off to pub / club and of course by the end of the night we re all getting to know one another and eventually it transpires that the bridesmaid had booked the 10 person apartment and only 4 had shown up and saw fit to include the difference in the meal bill!!!! So we paid for our apartment and theirs and the girls who didn't even stay over but drove home paid up too!

Ragin we all were but we all agreed that we all said nothing cause everyone in there own group didn't want to cause a scene in front of the others.
    We laugh about it now but can't believe not one of the 25 called her on it! Or that she had the neck to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stingys are like bullies. They get away with it cause no one stands up to the arseholery.

Advertisement