Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Bit stingy with the ole stories at the mo. I always forget about this thread and get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see it bumped!

Too stingy to turn on the heating, waits for another post here to get that ''warm fuzzy feeling''

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Me hole I'd be paying 85 Euro for a dinner, I defo would of said something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Lads my dad is so stingy that even when it's bucketing down rain he doesn't put the windscreen wipers on constant.

I'm currently in the car with him and my sister and she's saying to him to put them on constant and he's like "when you have your own car you'll realise the price of wiper blades!"

I'm half mortified but laughing my arse off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Earlier today I had a nice couple of customers in the shop where I work, American women in their twenties. They chatted away while they were in and we had the craic, then one of them decided to buy a postcard. She wouldn't take her 10c change and told me to keep it, so I said I would donate it to cancer research (it's pretty common for people to refuse small change so I'm in the habit of donating a pile of coins once or twice a month).
    Then her friend asked me to exchange all her coins for a note from the till as they were 'weighing her down'. I said ok and counted it all out, to find that she was 7c short of a tenner. 'Take it from Steph's 10c' she says, and put her hand out for the 10 euro note. Scabby cow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Two of my colleagues left recently so we got goodbye cards and collected some money for a present each. Usually most people would give a fiver or tenner for each, nothing fancy. One of my other colleagues is quite stingy, but not openly so, he always tries to cover it up. When he gave his contribution he only had one tenner on him. He put it in one card, then took two fivers out of that card and then put one of the fivers in the other card and pocketed the other one. Signed both cards though of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Was at a Christmas party in a pub. One colleague offered to buy a group of co workers a drink. One said she was fine and proceeded to order a cup of hot water of the barman. She then opened her handbag and took out a sachet of coffee and proceeded to make her beverage on the bar. Poor barman could only gape in horror at the cheapness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

mordeith wrote: »
    Was at a Christmas party in a pub. One colleague offered to buy a group of co workers a drink. One said she was fine and proceeded to order a cup of hot water of the barman. She then opened her handbag and took out a sachet of coffee and proceeded to make her beverage on the bar. Poor barman could only gape in horror at the cheapness

Usually the stinge takes the free drink being offered though? Probably just fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

rawn wrote: »
    Usually the stinge takes the free drink being offered though? Probably just fussy.

Nope I'm assuming she would have been terrified to owe a drink back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just started a new job recently and am getting used to all the office politics of it all.

There are 5 of us in my new office. All five of us are coffee drinkers. One of others was telling me that she was happy to have 5 coffee drikers back, coz the temp who was sitting in and doing my job until I was hired, didn't drink coffee. That kinda upset the apple cart, as it's the "done" thing for each one of us to take turns to make a morning and afternoon run to the coffee shop at the end of the street and, bring everyone else back their latte's & cappucinos and whatnot. We each take turns in paying. It runs to about 30 quid a day, for the person doing the coffee run. The system will suit me just fine, as I love getting my macciato delivered to my desk, twice a day, 4 times a week. I'm happy to do the coffee run on the 5th day.

Anyway, yer woman was giving out yards about the temp, who never agreed to be a part of all this. She didn't drink hot beverages at all and usually just had a can of Coke at her desk. Yer woman thought that she was being fierce stingy with both her time (when you do the coffee run, you give up both your morning and afternoon 15 minute break) and her money, by not participating in the coffee runs.

Hoewever, I think it's momumentally stingy of her to expect someone to spend 30 odd quid a week, providing her coworkers with coffee, when she herself does not drink the stuff and is not brought anything back, by the other 4 coffee drinkers. They did ask her if she wanted a muffin or a scone, but she never did. She brough her own drinks and snacks to work.

How on earth can it be stingy to not want to spend over 100 quid a month, buying coffee for others, when you get nothing at all, that you want, in return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

€32 a week on coffees :eek:

(I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of your post, though - that poor temp!)

• Advertisement

Yeah, two runs a day, for five people....with each drink costing 3.25, it works out at about 16 quid per trip. Or 32 quid per day. It's over 120 a month, or over 1200 per years. One 3.25 latte at a time, might not seem like a lot, but when you add it all up, over the course of a year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, two runs a day for five people....with each drink costing 3.25, it works out at about 16 quid per trip. Or 32 quid per day.
    I'd be investing in a kettle and a cafetiere if it were me!

I love my coffee, but not to the tune of over 30 quid a week!!!

Maybe so, but I'd say there are a lot of people who think nothing of buying a coffee on the way into work and, then buying another one during the course of the day or evening. It might not seem like major expenditure at the time, but when you add it all up over the course of a week or month, it can really add up without you being aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dee_mc wrote: »
    Earlier today I had a nice couple of customers in the shop where I work, American women in their twenties. They chatted away while they were in and we had the craic, then one of them decided to buy a postcard. She wouldn't take her 10c change and told me to keep it, so I said I would donate it to cancer research (it's pretty common for people to refuse small change so I'm in the habit of donating a pile of coins once or twice a month).
    Then her friend asked me to exchange all her coins for a note from the till as they were 'weighing her down'. I said ok and counted it all out, to find that she was 7c short of a tenner. 'Take it from Steph's 10c' she says, and put her hand out for the 10 euro note. Scabby cow :(

She probably thought you were the stinge pulling her up over 7 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

She probably thought you were the stinge pulling her up over 7 cent

She didn't even buy anything and I was doing her a favour by counting out her change and exchanging it for a note just to facilitate her, so I don't really care what she thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

ProudDUB wrote:
    Maybe so, but I'd say there are a lot of people who think nothing of buying a coffee on the way into work

I agree and could easily see myself doing the same without thought but when u hand over 32 euro in one go you realise its a very expensive routine. The group of u are spending over 150 quid a week. In two weeks you'd have paid for a very nice coffee machine, to use as u like without leaving the office then the only payments you'd have to chip in to would be the pods/coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    €32 a week on coffees :eek:

(I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of your post, though - that poor temp!)

€32 a week on coffee.... That's more than I spend on petrol. What's wrong with the old fashioned jar of Nescafe and a kettle? That's what the people I work with do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I like a takeaway coffee once or twice a week, but there's not a hope in hell I'd be spending 32 a week on coffee. A fiver at most, the it's a jar of coffee or a box of teabags and a kettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Move on from the coffee story, it's their own money they're willingly spending, nothing stingy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

osarusan wrote: »
    Move on from the coffee story, it's their own money they're willingly spending, nothing stingy about it.

New mod alert... He sounds grumpy too..:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

jca wrote: »
    New mod alert... He sounds grumpy too..:mad::mad:

Hasn't had his coffee yet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A Scotsman was heading out to the pub and turned to his wee wife before leaving...
    'Jackie - put your hat and coat on lassie.
    ''Awe Ian that's nice - are you taking me to the pub with you?
    ''Nah; just switching the central heating off while I'm oot.'

The first people in the UK to have double glazing were the Scots .... so their kids couldn't hear the ice cream vans.

How many Scotsmen does it take to change a light bulb? 'Och! it's no that dark!'

A Scotsman took a girl for a romantic ride in his taxi.
    She was so beautiful he could hardly keep his eye on the meter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A Scotsman was heading out to the pub and turned to his wee wife before leaving...
    'Jackie - put your hat and coat on lassie.
    ''Awe Ian that's nice - are you taking me to the pub with you?
    ''Nah; just switching the central heating off while I'm oot.'

The first people in the UK to have double glazing were the Scots .... so their kids couldn't hear the ice cream vans.

How many Scotsmen does it take to change a light bulb? 'Och! it's no that dark!'

A Scotsman took a girl for a romantic ride in his taxi.
    She was so beautiful he could hardly keep his eye on the meter...

Hmmm.... something's not quite right here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Christ...........Syl fox will never be dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On the Scottish theme, I work and live here, there's definitely a long arms, short pocket stinge level here.

I forgot to tot up my card for the work canteen last week, I was getting my morning porridge and tea, comes to £1.60. They can normally do an IOU on the system, but it's only for lunch. Spotted a woman who works in a different team in the same department. She was happy to spot me the cash and said drop it round to her whenever. I told her I'd give it to a friend of mine on Friday as we meet for lunch, but if I was in her building before then I'd drop it off. My plan was for to just give her £2 and call it quits.

This was all on a Tuesday, I had 2 chasers by lunchtime that day and 3 the following day.
    She saw me on the Friday in the canteen (my mate hadn't sat down yet) and made a beeline over for the money, gave her the £2 and politely asked for the 40p change. She said she didn't have it on her so I said that's fine I'll send 5 chasers before Monday close of business

Apparently she has a reputation for stinginess and has been grumbling since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Germans start arguing then and from my OH's German junior cert skills, one couple had refused to pay the 10% service charge as they didn't agree with it. Wánkers just sat there brazen as fúck too save €1.80 between 4 of em.
    I don't see the issue. Why would you pay a voluntary service charge if you did not like the service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

razorblunt wrote: »
    On the Scottish theme, I work and live here, there's definitely a long arms, short pocket stinge level here.

I forgot to tot up my card for the work canteen last week, I was getting my morning porridge and tea, comes to £1.60. They can normally do an IOU on the system, but it's only for lunch. Spotted a woman who works in a different team in the same department. She was happy to spot me the cash and said drop it round to her whenever. I told her I'd give it to a friend of mine on Friday as we meet for lunch, but if I was in her building before then I'd drop it off. My plan was for to just give her £2 and call it quits.

This was all on a Tuesday, I had 2 chasers by lunchtime that day and 3 the following day.
    She saw me on the Friday in the canteen (my mate hadn't sat down yet) and made a beeline over for the money, gave her the £2 and politely asked for the 40p change. She said she didn't have it on her so I said that's fine I'll send 5 chasers before Monday close of business

Apparently she has a reputation for stinginess and has been grumbling since.

But she helped you out, if it wasn't for her you wouldn't have had any breakfast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

snubbleste wrote: »
    I don't see the issue. Why would you pay a voluntary service charge if you did not like the service?
    It's not voluntary, service charges for large groups are mandatory in some places and it's due to the amount of time and effort it goes in to waiting/servicing that table. There were 12 of them in a group, that's a lot of drinks and foods to be ordered, made/poured and delivered and a lot of clean up after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    It's not voluntary, service charges for large groups are mandatory in some places and it's due to the amount of time and effort it goes in to waiting/servicing that table. There were 12 of them in a group, that's a lot of drinks and foods to be ordered, made/poured and delivered and a lot of clean up after.

I have never been a waiter or worked in a restaurant, but I would think the service required for 1 party of 8 say, would be slightly easier than 4 tables of 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,489 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I have never been a waiter or worked in a restaurant, but I would think the service required for 1 party of 8 say, would be slightly easier than 4 tables of 2.

not if you have to coordinate everything so that all 8 get their food at the same time.

Advertisement